HTBF Colonel Brandon

exvet
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: HTBF Colonel Brandon

Postby exvet » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:55 pm

I found the box! The lights are flat LED Flood lights 200 Watts, 2000 lumens.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:42 am

Thanks! I'll have to see if there are any affordable solar options that put out that much.
Keep calm and canter on.

Dapple Field
Herd Member

Postby Dapple Field » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:16 am

Thank you so much !!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:40 pm

I've pulled out the pivo again and shot some more of Brandon. I posted some of what I had from Wednesday in the training forum when my 'upgraded' pivo decided not to cooperate. This is from yesterday, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77fPnrDR3dE&t=8s
Please excuse the herky jerky moments. At least my pivo can keep track of me.

Brandon is still rooting at the reins but it's far better especially since he's no longer sticking his tongue out or openly evading the bit. He's still not 100% accepting the contact but it's definitely improving. He is pretty solid disposition-wise. The neighbor's kids were playing in their tree house which is right next to our fence and their dog was trying to play with mine. As a result, there were blasts of running dogs, screaming kids, launching 'war-fare' and bursts of sand in the air which never phased Brandon. Tempo, balance, acceptance of the contact and strength are all things we're working on at the moment. Resistance is more to me asking him to step into the outside rein and/or bend his body <gasp> so some of his moments of 'throw the head up and say ugh is due to me trying to leg yield him before asking for canter and/or just move off one leg into a rein. We also still have a few moments where he runs and refuses to accept a half-halt so the ugly, 'you won't blow through my aids moments' occur. I usually ride him twice a week in the arena and twice a week out on the trails. It seems to be a decent balance. I've started him over poles as well. He's more of a true 'stinker' than Junior but that may be more age than anything else. You'll see in the video he keeps his tail to the left. I know that is often an indication of a weaker side which does show (mostly moments of rein lameness, not stepping through) but he holds his tail to left even when he's eating........first horse of mine to do that. I'd be discouraged but that's what's nice for me to have this thread to come back to and compare to almost one year ago :)

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:35 pm

We hit another milestone today! Brandon hauled out alone to his first real dressage riding lesson. He loaded like a champ and was very level-headed during his lesson. My instructor felt like we got some very lovely moments and decent work done. It appears as if Brandon is growing up :)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:54 pm

nice

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:37 am

Brandon is beginning to test the boundaries a bit but still overall is a pretty good character. His mouth is quieter; but we still have our moments especially resisting one rein or the other. His canter is getting better too though today we had a few blips of taking the wrong lead because he still doesn't fully respect my right leg - bending still somewhat elusive yet he'll leg yield at walk and trot and turn on the forehand. He needs to build strength which I think is why he's beginning to duck behind the bit a little and/or do a little curling. For the most part though I am able to keep him up and open. We're still trying to find the right tempo at trot and canter and like most greenies he thinks leg means faster so we're sorting that out too. You know bending, finding our balance, riding into the connection.....it's all tough stuff for a baby horse. I measured Brandon today too. He's 15.1 hands now and doesn't turn 5 officially until mid June.

So here goes.....it's long as I haven't had a chance to edit this yet so it really does contain the good, the bad and the downright ugly. It even includes when Pivo lost us........his first attempt at a real trot stretch circle.......you'll have to take my word that it wasn't too shabby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKy0gBnCMus

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:00 pm

Thanks for sharing Exvet. It's always good to see Brandon's progress. Especially like to watch how quiet and calm you are even during the fussing moments. Something to emulate for sure.

Lynx and Brandon are almost the same age. Lynx officially turns 5 in the beginning of June. Right now he's losing a lot of teeth And I think the vet said his canines just erupted? I can't remember the timeline of when all that stuff happens so maybe it wasn't as recent. Either way I know he's got a lot going on in his mouth right now. The eventing trainer actually tried him in a happy mouth bit and though he went better. I'm going to try it on Sunday but I also think that he kind of just has to get through this teething process a little bit to really know. He's not bad, just a little more distracted/, fussy than normal.

demi

Postby demi » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:51 am

Thanks for posting that, exvet. I thoroughly enjoyed watching. Brandon is going to be a neat, neat dressage hony! Watching you work him makes me want to go out and ride.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:09 pm

Thank you for the support you two. Despite his resistances and times when he gives the middle hoof, he carries far less tension in his body compared to Junior. He is so much easier to get to work over his back. I am a bit surprised that he has as much power at the canter as he does currently. It's nice in that I can already feel where the jump is going to come from when I need to start to work on collection with him (a long time down the road). LSP, Brandon's bitting issues have improved but he's still dealing with erupting canines. I simply chose 6 months ago when my friend came over and did his dental (and confirmed so many suspicions for me) that I simply wouldn't sweat it. Of course, I'll keep up his dental care; but the growing pains are not something I can control. I do find though that the big fat D ring snaffle is still his preferred bit. The work with Brandon isn't going to be much different from that with Junior - focus on balance and suppling. For Brandon it's going to be more lateral suppling that is needed.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:27 pm

Exvet, yes Brandon looks very nice despite the occasional fussing! He will really be so nice.

It sounds like you just kind of ignore the fussing about his mouth for now? I think that sounds like a good option. I had Lynx in a D ring snaffle but it had copper rollers in the bars. Not Dressage legal but he was going well enough. Now not so. I definitely want to try a few other things, although this might just be a phase with the teeth. Regardless, I need to switch bits eventually anyway.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:16 pm

Fortunately, or not (LOL) I have a plethora of bits. I tried several before settling on this one. I do ignore the fussing and do my best to maintain position and requests for forward into a receiving hand. I try not to react or fight or go backward with the hand but there are times, not often, where Brandon does need to be reminded that he can and will run into a fixed hand if he gets belligerent. If he's nice then I try to be nice, soft and receiving. There's always a point especially with the green ones where the boundaries have to be outlined very clearly. If you do so successfully and effectively such times are few and far between and may never have to be repeated. It's taken me some time and experience to realize that fussing with my hands will not fix a fussy mouth so when I have babies/green horses that are fussing and trying to figure things out I try to just NOT react. I think for your horse a different bit is appropriate just realize it might not be total nirvana until his teeth are done erupting.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:34 am

Wow, Brandon is looking much more mature and strong than the last video I watched (a few months back??). I didn't watch all your current video, but he seems less fussy and much more balanced. So good to follow your progress!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:39 pm

Thank you Exvet. Unfortunately a lot of the bits I got are much too big for Lynx. But I do think he went better in the happy mouth yesterday. But I do agree that it will be hard to tell true bit preference since he's probably not going to be 100% in his mouth for a little while.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue May 10, 2022 1:41 am

Here is a video of Brandon's training level test 1 (from Saturday)- first time he and I have ever ridden this test (I've never practiced it with him but I have ridden this test or the older version (longer free walk back then) a few times in the previous test cycle. Given the wind and the flapping tents and the fact that he's never ridden in a dressage court with the white borders, I was very please with him. Definitely lots to improve on and a couple of mistakes but he's not going to anyone else's barn if I can help it ;)

https://youtu.be/2muem1srWak

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue May 10, 2022 1:45 pm

Wow Exvet. Besides the few little bobbles, Brandon looks very grown up compared to a few months ago! Very good test, I'm impressed. Especially with the flapping tents.

Do you care to share what kind of scores you got on his gaits? I'm just trying to learn :)

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed May 11, 2022 1:12 pm

In the test on the video Brandon scored a 7 on gaits; but the Intro C test I rode before it (where he thought the white railing was somewhat suspect and had even more tension) I received a 6.5. For reference (and you can see it in the video thread) Junior scored a 6 on gaits with the word 'walk' underlined in his third level tests with the same judge. Thankfully Brandon is blessed with the street hooker walk.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed May 11, 2022 1:56 pm

Nice! Thank you Exvet. You guys look so good. I always like to watch your videos for good inspiration.

I think Lynx scored 6.5 on gaits overall but just schooling shows, especially with an L judge. With an S judge we got a 7 on gaits in one test which I thought was very generous lol!! His walk is definitely a weak gait but there can be a nice walk in there I can just get access to it...

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:30 pm

Took Brandon over to the show venue. There was A LOT going on and he was a little tense at first. They were still setting up so there were forklifts, tractors, water trucks, drags, tons of horses and very narrow stabling quarters. I walked him around all the arenas in hand as well as taking him inside those I could get into due to the traffic. He seemed to settle a little despite calling out a bit. Even though I could tell he still wasn't sure what to make of it all, I decided to tack him up and ride in the arenas that we're showing in tomorrow. I have a 8:45 Am ride in front of Hilda Gurney in the big equidome which can be a little intimidating to horses. He did okay. I couldn't really school in there due to the number of FEI riders that were practicing; but, I was able to walk him around inside and outside the court. He didn't really shy or spook at anything; so, we moved on to the arena we're showing in tomorrow afternoon. I trotted him around trying to negotiate the traffic. There were several horses schooling higher figures and Brandon took it in stride when they passed. I finally was able to canter him in the warm up which he was good about picking up both leads. He was a little fussy in the bridle but that probably had to do with his tension and the venue though I will confess I just had his saddle re-flocked (picked it up Tuesday) so he may be adjusting to that as well. I still haven't had an opportunity to run through training level test 2 with him but I was riding it on Junior in the wee hours this morning (at home) just so I could refresh my memory of it. My goal is to simply give Brandon a good experience and confidence. I don't expect to score well but if we get some moments of relaxation and make it through the test without any unscheduled dismounts or eliminations it will all be good :) Not too sure if we will get pictures or video tomorrow but if we get any evidence of Brandon's first recognized dressage show I'll post it here.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:16 pm

I posted more details about my rides at the show yesterday in the training forum. Here I'm going to focus more on the horse. Brandon is a very level headed horse. I couldn't ask for a more solid citizen in such new, different and definitely chaotic surroundings. His tension button gets manifested in his mouth - more severe rooting, all out resistance to the bit at times interspersed with reminders of his training progress where he comes on the bit nicely, politely and with true submission. I had his saddle reflocked and back by Tuesday of this past week and when I used it during the week he seemed to like it - nice quiet rides with submission. So I do think the training is coming along but I have this idiosyncrasy to deal with as we move up the levels or his apple cart gets upset by something in his environment. So the good news, is that I think the answer (having been down this path) is simply more miles. With covid and several of our barns closing or changing ownership, schooling shows have almost become a thing of the past. I guess the one big victory I can claim is that I took a green as grass just turned 5 year old to a 4 star venue and we didn't scratch, get eliminated or demonstrate any dangerous behavior. With the miles I'm going to need to establish more willingness to bend, better balance at the canter as well as more stamina and a warm up routine that more or less doubles as a security blanket. If I can meet those goals, I think our scores will sky-rocket at subsequent shows. It would help if we had more schooling shows in this area but I won't be holding my breath. Unfortunately due to the indoor venue, pictures are blurry or at least very grainy. I'm going to post some of our 'better' moments but all in all I'm glad I went. I'm very glad I limited it to just the one day (as for the showing part) and I'm ecstatic I was able to pick up this guy from his breeder when I did.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:21 pm

Here's a couple more just because,

khall

Postby khall » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:51 pm

Lovely Exvet. That is a huge intimidating atmosphere. Glad Brandon handled it all so well.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:44 am

Thank you khall. I think most didn't realize he is as young as he is. Hopefully I succeeded in building his confidence so that the next go round is a piece of cake......well I can dream.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:54 am

That stretch to contact in the walk in that atmosphere is to die for!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:12 am

Very impressive debut for this lovely young fellow. Well done, exvet.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:39 pm

Nice update, Exvet!! You and Brandon are quite an exciting pair to follow. He sure is showing a lot of dressage potential and very handsome to boot.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:30 am

Thanks everyone. Rode Brandon this morning and he's definitely got a really nice canter lurking underneath. He's still very cheeky; but, then that's the type a gravitate towards. Talked to my new instructor this morning during my lesson on Junior. I told her that this area used to be great for tons of schooling shows and learning opportunities but that isn't true anymore. She too had to take a horse for it's first time out to the show last weekend. So she's going to see if their barn manager is open to the idea of an evening schooling show later this summer. Hopefully we can get something put together. I sure would like the opportunity to get Brandon down the centerline a few more times in venues where the stakes aren't so high.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:27 pm

So I am looking for some suggestions in order to keep Brandon's mind engaged and not encourage his creativity as a result of being drilled. Kind of like Junior, Brandon has a different canter on each rein. To the left it's absolutely lovely. Easy to get a prompt transition that is controlled and balanced with a nice even, steady tempo. Going to the right, Brandon likes to rope walk but at the canter :o My new coach kept saying that his canter to the right is almost lateral but not, yada yada. I've always known/felt that to the right he wants to collapse over his right shoulder and that's because he takes his right fore and crosses over to the left in the cranial phase of the stride. As I indicated in the training forum, I am now riding him to the right with every ounce of weight going into my right stirrup, keeping my right thigh off the saddle in order to get him to take his right fore and right hind more forward and with some abduction compared to swinging both in front of the left hoof. Both on the ground and in the saddle, I'm working at the walk doing turns to encourage movement of his forelegs both in abduction and adduction to encourage more mobility. I've been lunging him over jumps to help build his hind end so that he may be less inclined to swing that right hind so far over (to the left) and under. In other words, I want him 'squarer' in his body when tracking right, ie like the leg on each corner, not tilting right 'cause the base/legs is/are over on the left. Oh, and I'm also working both boys in hand to straddle poles, keeping the left feet left and the right feet right while walking the length of each - much harder than it sounds but the light bulb is starting to go off for both. I'm fortunate that Brandon doesn't freak or take advantage when I'm practically standing off to the right of him at the trot and canter. He is improving in very, very small increments in trying to keep under my weight; but there's only so many circles we can do. I ride all sorts of figures all over my arena; but this is a very busy thinker and sooner rather than later he's going to say I"M BORED!!!!!!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:22 pm

Leg yield to the left so he m8v3s his body and left leg away from the right?

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:56 pm

I have been and will continue to do the leg yields in both directions. Unfortunately, to the left doesn't help with getting him to abduct his right fore. I need to teach him to move his right fore forward in a straighter fashion than crossing it over in front of the left fore (he does the same with his hind leg) and this is ONLY on the right rein.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:43 pm

Have you tried leading him with that inside rein to the inside a bit? What I mean by that is use the inside rein to encourage that inside fore to reach more forward and in. Or counter bending before and during the canter? Another exercise that Cedar likes is to ride counter SI and push the trot to encourage the reach of the inside leg. Might also help to think counter SI before the canter to encourage that right hind and right fore to step out.

I know you do take him out on the trails I would also practice the counter SI bending left and push the trot.

In the canter try to yield his HQs right counter bending in R canter.

We do a good bit of counter bent turns at the walk so bend left move right toh Encourage that RF to step out.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:07 am

OK, so if I have this right, you need to get him to step the right legs to step to the inside more, and are putting more weight to the right to get this? Do you feel that's working?

How about doing the exact opposite? Sort of. Ride very straight, but lift the inside shoulder up and to the outside more to get him to lighten up so he can move those right legs more in LY/HP? This really helped my messed up half passes. I couldn't feel like I could fix the half passes and they were falling onto and dragging the inside legs. When I felt like I was lifting them up and off the inside shoulder and back to the outside hind then they lift up the inside legs more and move, and me weighting more back and to the outside allowed them to collect and balance better.

You might also want to try to do opposite pirouettes. This is hard to explain, but the idea is to get them off the inside shoulder at the walk, trot, or canter by sort of doing a pirouette moving the hind end around the front, really getting them off the inside. This is super confusing to do and really hard to get right, but really helped me coordinate my weight and aides and get the balance, and requires a lot from the horse.

Does any of this makes sense?

khall

Postby khall » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:30 am

Tanga are you saying do tof in renvere? Yes definitely one of the best movements for getting them off the inside shoulder but may be a bit advanced for as young of a horse as Brandon is. I do these turns with Joplin a good bit going from renvere turn to walk pirouette

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:32 am

The only way I can get my rope walker to quit is to ride them straight and forward with a soft jaw. The moment she stiffens her jaw she rope walks . I'm not a biomechic specialist but I've seen related to contact , like a form of bridle lameness more commonly than anything . I don't think I totally understand Brandon's problem but is it compensating for a problem elsewhere?

I do ask because I've seen it before, are you completely comfortable with his saddle fit. I've seen saddle fit create rope walking too.

If you rule out jaw and saddle then I'm probably no help further

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:13 pm

He does this on the lunge line - bit or no bit. He is two completely different horses going to the left vs. the right. I'll try a different saddle on him and see if it makes a difference.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:19 pm

Tanga wrote:OK, so if I have this right, you need to get him to step the right legs to step to the inside more, and are putting more weight to the right to get this? Do you feel that's working? I need the right legs when going to the right to step more away from his body.

How about doing the exact opposite? Sort of. Ride very straight, but lift the inside shoulder up and to the outside more to get him to lighten up so he can move those right legs more in LY/HP? This really helped my messed up half passes. I couldn't feel like I could fix the half passes and they were falling onto and dragging the inside legs. When I felt like I was lifting them up and off the inside shoulder and back to the outside hind then they lift up the inside legs more and move, and me weighting more back and to the outside allowed them to collect and balance better. You know I did just introduce half pass at the walk just to see if this would work. He's too new to it to say for sure but I'm going to continue to play with it

You might also want to try to do opposite pirouettes. This is hard to explain, but the idea is to get them off the inside shoulder at the walk, trot, or canter by sort of doing a pirouette moving the hind end around the front, really getting them off the inside. This is super confusing to do and really hard to get right, but really helped me coordinate my weight and aides and get the balance, and requires a lot from the horse. This we are doing and I do see it help. I'm doing it on the ground and in the saddle. Both directions but more to the right, again to get him to abduct (move his fight fore away from his body).

Does any of this makes sense?

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:20 pm

khall wrote:Tanga are you saying do tof in renvere? Yes definitely one of the best movements for getting them off the inside shoulder but may be a bit advanced for as young of a horse as Brandon is. I do these turns with Joplin a good bit going from renvere turn to walk pirouette

Agreed that this might make him lose his mind. I'm going to try the other exercises first and maybe as he progresses use this exercise in hand.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:23 pm

khall wrote:Have you tried leading him with that inside rein to the inside a bit? What I mean by that is use the inside rein to encourage that inside fore to reach more forward and in. Yes Or counter bending before and during the canter? Yes Another exercise that Cedar likes is to ride counter SI and push the trot to encourage the reach of the inside leg. Might also help to think counter SI before the canter to encourage that right hind and right fore to step out. I'm going to have to introduce this one gradually. He's still a baby and lateral work will have to be done as his strength improves

I know you do take him out on the trails I would also practice the counter SI bending left and push the trot.

In the canter try to yield his HQs right counter bending in R canter. You know I tried this in my lesson and got ripped a new one for moving the haunches. I was told that by moving the haunches around is how I screwed up Junior.

We do a good bit of counter bent turns at the walk so bend left move right toh Encourage that RF to step out.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:18 pm

Exvet that is way different than what Cedar teaches. Last clinic she had me riding squareish figure on the straight lines go between counter flexion and SF Counter flexion one straight line SF next. We also do on long side yield the HQs sometimes in counter flexion sometimes straighter sometimes more HI depending on the horse. She also has me in CC allow the counter bending a bit to encourage that leading leg more out and forward.

Have not worked much HP in canter yet with Cedar but she is an advocate for moving body parts around in the canter much like in the trot. If you are interested I can pm you video of Cedar under JP’s guidance prepping for changes. It’s an interesting video

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:26 pm

khall wrote:Tanga are you saying do tof in renvere? Yes definitely one of the best movements for getting them off the inside shoulder but may be a bit advanced for as young of a horse as Brandon is. I do these turns with Joplin a good bit going from renvere turn to walk pirouette

Yes, but bent in the direction movement, not away. Yes. it is very hard, so probably not in canter or trot, but walk is probably doable. She wanted a challenge!

khall

Postby khall » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:00 pm

Tango yes that is a turn in renvere and is quite challenging even at the walk imo. For me one would have had to introduce renvere on the straight first and be working on it at the trot as well before starting it on a bending line. At least that is the progression I utilize when working lateral exercises. It is a very good exercise I do agree!! We started with Joplin last clinic turn in renvere to immediate walk pirouette going back and forth between the two.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:39 pm

khall wrote:Tango yes that is a turn in renvere and is quite challenging even at the walk imo. For me one would have had to introduce renvere on the straight first and be working on it at the trot as well before starting it on a bending line. At least that is the progression I utilize when working lateral exercises. It is a very good exercise I do agree!! We started with Joplin last clinic turn in renvere to immediate walk pirouette going back and forth between the two.

It is hard! I think it's probably harder for the rider, or at least for me, because coordinating that is SO hard. You really have to rethink what you are doing. And once you sort that out, maybe it's lot easier for the horse. I do a lot of work coordination, bending, listening, weight exercises almost every day anyway, just bending in both directions moving the haunches and front end. It really gives you feedback what is working on you and the hse.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:53 am

I do think work at walk helps the muscle memory for canter . Doing the more complicated lateral moves in a relaxed walk can only help. It's a very unusual conundrum.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:39 am

Chisamba wrote:I do think work at walk helps the muscle memory for canter . Doing the more complicated lateral moves in a relaxed walk can only help. It's a very unusual conundrum.

I have to admit this is the first time I've encountered this in terms of one side and at one gait. He doesn't do it to either side at the trot or walk and as stated canter left is so good. I do have a sneaking suspicion that some of this will resolve once he's found his back half. He sprouted a real chest this spring/summer and I think the back half is just late to develop, fill out. I don't think he's done growing so I'm hoping for some 'improvement' just based on 'that'.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:21 am

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... 122415.jpg
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... canter.jpg
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... 122114.jpg

Judge's comments

Training 2 "Athletic team with lots of highlights. Work for a bit softer connection & more steadiness to help keep clance more honest. A tad behind your tans aids but he does wake up nicely" Score 66.897

Training 3 "Well ridden test. Encourage a softer, more honest stretch to the bit & a bit more supple topcien. You ride the best geometry of the day!" Score 67.414

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:06 pm

Here is Brandon's training test 2 from yesterday's schooling show.

https://youtu.be/DUgcSaL9-P0

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:09 pm

He's lovely exvet! And well ridden.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:35 pm

chantal wrote:He's lovely exvet! And well ridden.

Thank you Chantal. We're doing the Amelia Newcomb 30 Days to Round Challenge and I'm shopping for a new saddle! We'll see if I improve on his connection and acceptance of the bit, oi vey!

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:00 pm

https://youtu.be/eWLaWb29XWM

Cringing at my position; so got on Junior and worked on that ;) and there's definitely more work to do to obtain and maintain a steady connection to the outside rein; but he's starting to get quieter in the mouth even on his 'weaker' lead.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:50 pm

Exvet, I don't see much about your position that someone wouldn't envy. I like to watch you and try to ride like you honestly! You are so steady and methodical with how you ride.

Brandon is looking so grown up. Especially at the trot. One question for the canter, and just a genuine question not critique in any way. Would it help Brandon to be a bit more forward in the canter or would that be detrimental and make him lose balance?

Return to “Young Horse Forum and Breeding and Registries”