HTBF Colonel Brandon

exvet
Bringing Life to the DDBB

HTBF Colonel Brandon

Postby exvet » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:43 pm

Well now that I have my pivo and am able to post at least some stuff (now I need to get video editing software) I decided, like with Junior, I would start a thread on Brandon. He is a 2017 model western working lines Morgan. I purchased him right after he was gelded still unstarted. His breeder did a great job with ground handling but didn't have time for much else. He came home mid to late August, a birthday present to myself. Here he is being the second test subject using my pivo. Unfortunately I had to work some of the bugs out using Junior. Obviously we have a long way to go; but, he's willing and pleasant. He has more stop than go; but, isn't a fighter. Still working on bit acceptance and I need to keep my darn heels down. Since I haven't purchased any video editing software you get to see 'my learning' process with the pivo and Walter, my goofy spanish water dog. I'm going to do his teeth since he's been shedding molars right and left because I think that's contributing to some of our issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch02L-X ... e=youtu.be

Lipsmackerpony88

Re: HTBF Colonel Brandon

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:07 pm

He looks so lovely Exvet. I love how relaxed he is and you can definitely see some nice moments peeking through! You do a great job being calm and steady with him.

I need to try my Pivo!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:11 pm

Thank you! I love my Pivo. I would like to be able to get comfortable enough with it so that I can take it to record my lessons, maybe by next Sunday. I have a lesson later today on Junior but I don't want to waste my instructor's time with my learning curve.

Brandon is definitely fitting into my herd. I plan to stick to mostly trail riding for the next year and give him plenty of time to grown and build muscle. He's an in you pocket pony type so he's be easy to 'over do it'. Fortunately I have plenty of trail riding options so that neither of us should get bored. ;)

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:25 pm

I feel a little intimidated by it but I'm anxious to try it because I think video is so so helpful!

I'm jealous of all your easy access to trails!! And warmer weather lol. I think that's a great plan for him you can never go wrong with lots of trail time with the young one!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:39 pm

I love Brandon, he is looking great and it will be fun to see him develop!
Keep calm and canter on.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:10 pm

He is adorable! Good for you for getting on from the ground on a youngster.

I need to get going with my Pivo.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:00 pm

I've taken three videos of Junior and the Pivo has been invaluable in me realizing certain areas where I need to really concentrate on myself. Each video shows improvement though still a long way to go. I have a new video of Brandon but it was taken by my SO as we were out on the desert trail to show his breeder how steady he is in new territory. Unfortunately I can't get it to download to my computer so that I can post it here. Brandon is at that stage now where he thinks he's 'got this' and now starting to push the envelope a little and test some boundaries. To this point it's been typical baby antics. Fortunately he's not much of a fighter; so, other than continuing to remind myself as to how old he really is, it's all coming along pretty well. He's grown an inch since I brought him home and he's still growing. He's now sticks at 15.1. I have a sneaking suspicion he's going to top out at 15.2.......for me that's a giant, LOL.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:34 pm

What a cutie!

I am 100% agreement with you on Pivo! I think it has helped me a lot in what I need to work on in my position as well as understanding what I feel versus what I look like

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:14 pm

nice job! I really like him.

Kelo1
Novice

Postby Kelo1 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:05 pm

Wow, he is a cutie, exvet!

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:04 pm

Brandon looks so happy. I need to play with a Pivo so I record my dressage lessons. I have 2 friends who have them and have offered. What a great addition to your training.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:15 pm

Thanks y'all. He's a big dork. Typical baby, everything first goes in his mouth and always looking for something or someone to bug. I look at Junior now (and though I've been through the process so many times) I just sit back in awe of how much he's filled out and the brick sh!t house he's become. Brandon will likely not fill out quite that much but I know, being a Morgan there's at least another 1/2 horse in there width-wise. He actually fits me better than Junior at the moment in terms of taking up my leg without splitting me in half. His stamina is definitely improving along with his increased exposure to stuff on the trail.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:13 am

exvet wrote:I've taken three videos of Junior and the Pivo has been invaluable in me realizing certain areas where I need to really concentrate on myself. Each video shows improvement though still a long way to go. I have a new video of Brandon but it was taken by my SO as we were out on the desert trail to show his breeder how steady he is in new territory. Unfortunately I can't get it to download to my computer so that I can post it here. Brandon is at that stage now where he thinks he's 'got this' and now starting to push the envelope a little and test some boundaries. To this point it's been typical baby antics. Fortunately he's not much of a fighter; so, other than continuing to remind myself as to how old he really is, it's all coming along pretty well. He's grown an inch since I brought him home and he's still growing. He's now sticks at 15.1. I have a sneaking suspicion he's going to top out at 15.2.......for me that's a giant, LOL.

There is an excellent group on FB for PIVO riders. They will have lots of good suggestions for you if you reach out to them.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:08 pm

redsoxluvr wrote:
exvet wrote:I've taken three videos of Junior and the Pivo has been invaluable in me realizing certain areas where I need to really concentrate on myself. Each video shows improvement though still a long way to go. I have a new video of Brandon but it was taken by my SO as we were out on the desert trail to show his breeder how steady he is in new territory. Unfortunately I can't get it to download to my computer so that I can post it here. Brandon is at that stage now where he thinks he's 'got this' and now starting to push the envelope a little and test some boundaries. To this point it's been typical baby antics. Fortunately he's not much of a fighter; so, other than continuing to remind myself as to how old he really is, it's all coming along pretty well. He's grown an inch since I brought him home and he's still growing. He's now sticks at 15.1. I have a sneaking suspicion he's going to top out at 15.2.......for me that's a giant, LOL.

There is an excellent group on FB for PIVO riders. They will have lots of good suggestions for you if you reach out to them.

Thank you. I'm a member of that group; but, the problem isn't with PIVO or my phone. It's the fact that the video I'm referring to was taken by my SO using his phone. It's not a video that was taken with PIVO. I hope to get another 'worthy' video of Brandon in the near future that I will share. Currently I'm spending way more time trail riding than in the arena with him. He's also going through a very fugly stage right now - but high, weedy, and very full of himself.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:56 pm

A little Brandon update - my daughter rode him in the arena on Saturday. She then rode him again today out on the trail. I rode Junior and my SO rode Ace. We rode with some of the neighbors. He seemed to not care at all who was on him or where he was in the line up for the entire ride. We did some trot and canter sequences as well. He's much better cantering on a relatively straight path LOL........

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:04 pm

Well it happened. My daughter has been riding Brandon out on the trail with us at least once a week and I've been riding him 2-3 times a week, mostly on trail but at least once a week in the arena. Yesterday we went trail riding with the same neighbor as before and Brandon turned into a bucking bronco. Our neighbor rode over to our house. Brandon seemed distracted but not bad. We mounted using the mounting block and my daughter was the last to get on/use it. Brandon blew up like he just had the back cinch tightened (my daughter had her passier on him so no back cinch). It caught her off guard and she came off. Brandon almost escaped our property but my neighbor was at the gate on her horse and caught him. I was proud of my daughter. She was a little shaken and bruised but I held Brandon as she got back on. Both Brandon and Junior piaffed and passaged their way up our short road to the access trail, totally out of sorts. We rode 5 miles and Brandon though very bratty was alright. When we got home I had already planned on cantering in the arena as part of Junior's conditioning program; so, I had my daughter mount and dismount Brandon 3 times interspersed with working serpentines and circles in the arena. Brandon of course was good, settled and listening. Hopefully we'll be better prepared for the next trail ride on Brandon.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:48 pm

Ouch! I'm so glad it was a bruise only landing.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:51 pm

spring? maturity boundary testing?

what do you think motivated him?

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:17 pm

Oh shoot! I'm sorry! Glad your daughter is okay.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:02 pm

I think he was definitely boundary testing and the trigger was a 'strange' horse had entered the property. He seems very 'affected' by new horses coming and going at our next door neighbors. It would have likely been better if she had taken him around the other end of the barn to see Zoro and get his bearings before trying to mount him; but, that's the value of hindsight. He didn't spook or try anything other than be very busy in the mouth for the entire trail ride and her ride in the arena afterward. She even trotted him a lot on the trail and there were no attempts to take off or do anything 'inspirational.'

blob

Postby blob » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:59 pm

Yikes, glad everyone is ok. Getting on and off is my least favorite time for antics. I think there is a pressure point or nerve that can occasionally (rarely) be triggered by mounting as I've seen a few times where another wise quiet horse has blown up at that moment and then been otherwise fine. But this is all anecdotal.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:49 pm

We're planning on going trail riding tomorrow but I think my daughter will elect to ride Junior. I will ride Brandon. I plan to ride him in the arena for a little bit before we head out on the trail. It's supposed to be windy so we'll see if he uses that as an excuse. He's tried to pull a couple of BS moves on the ground and I just let him have it (verbally and commanding the lead rope) in the moment he thinks he's going to take over......and his initiative dies as quickly as it starts. Hoping he continues to see me as the boss bitch.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:28 pm

Lunged the Colonel yesterday afternoon and established some ground rules (over again). Rode him today and he was a perfect gentleman. Seems to be the typical toddler tantrums which are currently under control. Babies are so much fun LOL.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:54 pm

Glad he was well behaved today, Exvet!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:37 pm

Thanks! We went trail riding again today, just my SO and I. We went on some new trails and Brandon was for the most part good. He's still testing the waters but he's not totally over the top about it. Just need more wet saddle blankets which we definitely accomplished today.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:46 pm

Babies can be such a PIA! Glad daughter was ok. It fun coming off a bronc

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:01 pm

Thanks khall. She actually still wants to ride him which surprises me; but, I guess she's seen me too many times just climb back on and go. We're planning on loading Brandon on the trailer this Sunday and taking him with Junior to my lesson. It will be the first time he's set foot on a trailer since I brought him home. It will be interesting to see how he handles it. I asked my daughter to go with me and give me a hand just to walk him around (in hand only) the property and expose him to new sights and things. She was all over it; so, hopefully it will be a more satisfying experience for both ;)

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:26 pm

Thrilled with Brandon yesterday! I took him along with Junior to my lesson yesterday. He has only hauled/been on a trailer one other time and that was the 3 hour ride to bring him home. He loaded like a CHAMP! and hauled very well. There were no 'issues' while he was hand walked by my daughter all over the grounds taking in the pigs, cows, sheep, goats, etc and of course all the other horses. He's a brat but a well behaved and level headed one. Here's a cute picture my daughter got of Brandon seeing himself and Junior in a mirror for the first time.

https://app.photobucket.com/u/ldarling_ ... 7f9782bdf3

khall

Postby khall » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:05 pm

Do you have to have photo bucket to see the pictures? I can’t see any of them you’ve posted

Congrats!! Big step in the making of a saddle horse

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:57 am

khall wrote:Do you have to have photo bucket to see the pictures? I can’t see any of them you’ve posted

Congrats!! Big step in the making of a saddle horse

The was never a necessity before because I've always used photobucket to post pictures here. I'll look into it and see if something has changed.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:02 pm

It says your album is private.

Good boy Brandon!!

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:13 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:It says your album is private.

Good boy Brandon!!

Yup, and now it's public. I just changed it. Was too tired last night to deal with it after the full moon flood of crazies came in today.

Here is another pic of the colonel and the link to the original pic.

https://app.photobucket.com/u/ldarling_ ... 11587af4c1
https://app.photobucket.com/u/ldarling_ ... 7f9782bdf3

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:09 pm

He's so adorable!!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:52 pm

I'm, as usual, hanging it all out there. Used Pivo for my ride on Brandon today. Though it wasn't according to my original goals, today Brandon gave me canter under saddle going both directions and taking the correct lead each way. He gave me 6-7 strides in each direction without issue and little to do. He also went over my poles after 'thinking about it' for a minute. He's still fussy in the bridle but it's getting better. I don't drill in the arena a lot. I ride maybe once or every other week just to see where we're at because I prefer to take these younger guys and stick to the trail. We saw our first rattlesnake and he was perfect standing still until it went by and it was safe to pass. BTW Pivo lost us on the right lead canter but it was a rinse and repeat of the left lead. So happy with this guy - sorry for the long video of walk and trot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPEb5lF_ntc

khall

Postby khall » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:12 pm

Brandin certainly looks like one cool dude. You do such a good job educating the young ones. Love his bling!!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:28 pm

Looking good. Watching experienced, good riders like yourself ride the youngsters is so educational imo. I like seeing how you ride them, you are very calm and quiet. I try to be this way too.

Lovely ride!!

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:01 pm

Thank you guys! It's a good balance for me having one so green and Junior who is ready to start doing some real dressage. I'm lucky too in that Brandon is really just a 'sign up to do it' kind of guy...........now if only I can get him to stop rearranging the furniture LOL. Every morning I come out to find that he's pulled out a few more poles, the jump standards, etc and has strewn them all over the arena. Unless it looks like a mountain lion coming full bore at him, he's not afraid of much (but boy you should have seen the spin and leap he has when he does think he's going to be eaten by a mountain lion..aka full grown male Rhodesian Ridgeback.......good think my velcro is still in place ;)

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:19 pm

It's been a while since I've provided an update. Brandon has finally started to fill out a little (just a little); so, he's not quite the giraffe he once was. As a result and the fact that he turned 4 on June 12th, I began riding him a bit more in the arena schooling baby stuff with a bit more 'expectation' of his response to my requests. He's been showing gradual progress though we're still dealing with 'mouthy'-ness in terms of bit acceptance. He's at that stage where starting out is a little, ahem, rough where he's clearly whining about not wanting to have to wear the big boy pants; but, as we get into working on moving off my leg and into the outside rein and really focusing diligently on the appropriate tempo he's giving me some really good moments of out to the bridle (equally into both reins) and proper use of back and neck for his level of training. When we're in the zone his mouth is quiet. His balance is still elusive because he's still growing; but, even that has shown some improvement with the focus being equal weight in both stirrups and making sure he's moving with equal weight for and aft and keeping all four on the floor. He's got the build and balance of a motor cycle that wants to tilt and lean when taking turns LOL so now that I've upped the ante he's kind of grasping that using himself properly is easier and safer. This morning was a classic example. I was trotting him doing 20 meter figure eights and moving him forward, proper tempo into the outside rein with real bend......he does it well for 1/2 the circle and then gets resistant 'cause it's 'hard'. When he became really opinionated he fell to his knees losing his balance which I pushed him forward and made him pick himself up......previously my boys who had testicle who did the same at the same stage would get 'mad' and I mean 'mad'.....Brandon was more, geesh I guess I better be more careful.... LOL. As long as he has that attitude with his 'gafs' I'll take the whining toddler in the beginning. He's figured out that cantering under saddle can be fun. He's starting to level out so I think we're close to being able to ask for and expect more ;)

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:08 pm

awesome!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:41 pm

In the training thread I posted about recently having Brandon's teeth floated and the fact that he doesn't have a low palate nor fleshy tongue. His jaw is narrow but otherwise he had no physical problem accommodating any thickness of bit nor should a single jointed snaffle cause or inflict much pain. Despite that Brandon is very clear in his preference of no pressure on bars or tongue. He is young and this may simply be due to his canines not having erupted yet. I did ride him very up and open yesterday, the morning after his teeth were floated. In the rubber mullen loose ring he does at least meet the bit, sometimes rudely. His balance is still an issue and it's obvious when he's more comfortable in the frame, moving straight and carrying himself in better balance. Unfortunately he is still chomping at the bit creating significant foam and not swallowing as is ideal. Here is some of the good, the bad and the downright ugly from yesterday..............though thank fully all still very safe. If I can just get past this the rein lame and fussiness will disappear and I think I'll have a rather attractive dressage mount in the end.

https://youtu.be/Nz-7oezFkkQ

khall

Postby khall » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:29 pm

Exvet Brandon looks like he goes better after the canter. Wonder if he is one of those that needs the canter to loosen his back. The resistance is not that noticeable. More of a bit of rooting. Having one with mouth contact issues is not what I normally have dealt with. Rip’s was more throw head up going left stiffen and run out the shoulder. Joplin is very different but getting better.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:39 pm

I agree khall and yes, I do think he needs canter in his warm up. The challenge right now is I need to walk and trot to just establish that he moves off the leg, respects each hand so that I can balance him in order to do the canter safely. I did try another bit yesterday which went MUCH better; but, the darn pivo/phone set up got too hot and shut off losing the video. I ended up digging out a very fat D ring snaffle of all things after doing a bit of research which included the info I got during the floating of his teeth and watching the videos. It's clear that at least now all his issues have to do with pressure on the bars. He really liked the fatter bit. I'm considering trying the baucher on him but I think there was such a difference yesterday with the old fashion nut cracker fat thick snaffle that I may not need it. I don't know how much of this may have to do with his canines possibly starting to erupt; but, only time will tell. It was nice, though, to ride a horse that wasn't quite so mouthy. He still roots but that part I am used to from any young unbalanced horse trying to figure things out.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:58 pm

Glad you found a bit he likes better! Reason we keep all those bits from our previous horses!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:49 am

Well between weather and work I didn't get to do more experimentation with Brandon until today. I decided I would try my 'fat' egg but snaffle which is also pretty heavy. I had tried it last year and wasn't impressed with his reaction but it's a really nice bit and gives me more ability to finesse my aids. HE DID NOT LIKE IT; so, I went back to the 'fat' D ring snaffle. His response was still to root and grab but much much better in terms of at least meeting the bit and allowing me to direct his direction and way of going. I took khall's observation (which I agreed with 100%) and threw caution to the wind and cantered him much earlier in my ride than usual. The video clip is Brandon after I cantered him in both direction and using the D ring snaffle bit. I honestly think that all of this will get even better once his canines erupt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGijO1s2020

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:32 pm

He is really coming along! I tend to agree that his mouth will change after his canines erupt.

Dapple Field
Herd Member

Postby Dapple Field » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:31 pm

Exvet, I've enjoyed your videos! I have a question about your arena lights. How tall are the poles and are you satisfied with the height? Also do you know how many lumens each light is? Am working on putting some up in my arena before fall when we run out of daylight. Thank you :)

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:39 am

I'll get that information for you because in all honesty I don't remember. The heights aren't all that high (let's just say I've had higher/taller ones in the past); but, I am very happy with the lighting they provide. I'll get the specs on the actual lights and how high the poles are in a day or two and get them to you. Here, where I'm located, I have to follow county ordinances to avoid neighbors filing complaints that will force me to take them down, provide shielding or turn them off. The height is a result of wanting to be in code and avoid neighbor complaints. We did have to shield the light on our barn because the neighbors felt it was too bright.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:42 pm

I would be interested in the lumens too. There are light poles around my barn's outdoor arena and the BO's husband "was working on" getting the old halogen monsters back up there and we all know how that goes. I was thinking we might be able to tack up some solar powered LED security lights and call it good. There is an operational dawn/dusk security light at one end that provides a dull glow to about the 1/5 of the area, so I suppose that is a head start.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:00 pm

The height of my lights are 20 feet. I'm still working on the lumens. Have to find the box and that could take a little while. You'd understand if you saw my garage :roll:

Dapple Field
Herd Member

Postby Dapple Field » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:30 am

Thank you exvet ! That's very helpful.

Return to “Young Horse Forum and Breeding and Registries”