Hello and Trail Ride

Topic for older horses and older riders
Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Hello and Trail Ride

Postby Sunshine2Me » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:30 pm

Demi suggested I stop by the "senior" group, so hello! :D I'm glad to be here!

Just wanted to share my adventure from yesterday. We have been blessed with some unusually warm days here in the midwest. Yesterday I tacked up Magic and we headed out on a trail ride. It was just us and it was so peaceful and quiet. He just moseyed along lazily and I enjoyed the warm sunshine and the sound of the leaves crunching beneath his hooves. It was so perfect - one of those days that revives your soul!

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Hello and Trail Ride

Postby PaulaO » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:55 pm

A perfect day. I'm glad you and Magic were able to enjoy it.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:36 am

Hello Sunshine! Glad you posted. It's always nice to hear about a nice trail ride. Or any nice ride, for that matter.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:50 pm

Ah, sounds just lovely.

It's been perfect fall trail riding weather here. I haven't had the right combination of available horse and cooperating body, but maybe when this patch of rain blows through!

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:23 am

Hi. I'm just gobsmacked by this weather. I have plenty to do but I don't want to do anything but go to the barn. I'm re-riding (is that the term?) after not having a horse for almost 30 years. At 66. I'm half-leasing a spotted draft horse named Duke. He's big oaf and I've been taking things very sslllloooowwwwww ... We spent all summer walking around the indoor while I got my horse legs about me and got the hang of something so ginormous. I've been rather shockingly terrified. I'm finally trusting that he is too lazy to put much effort into spooking or leaping around. Ahhhhh...

It was so perfect - one of those days that revives your soul!

^^^ This last couple weeks has been all about outside and I am SO HAPPY. We've been taking daily moseys around the cut cornfields, going slightly further each day. I'm riding alone, so am grateful that Duke is willing to at least plod out and about without making a fuss. The pace does pick up a bit when heading back to the barn, but he's being so reasonable. Heart singing!

Big wind and rain coming on Wed, but temps still staying in the 50s mostly, for the next two weeks. :shock: :D

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:38 pm

Woost2 wrote:Hi. I'm just gobsmacked by this weather. I have plenty to do but I don't want to do anything but go to the barn. I'm re-riding (is that the term?) after not having a horse for almost 30 years. At 66. I'm half-leasing a spotted draft horse named Duke. He's big oaf and I've been taking things very sslllloooowwwwww ... We spent all summer walking around the indoor while I got my horse legs about me and got the hang of something so ginormous. I've been rather shockingly terrified. I'm finally trusting that he is too lazy to put much effort into spooking or leaping around. Ahhhhh...

It was so perfect - one of those days that revives your soul!

^^^ This last couple weeks has been all about outside and I am SO HAPPY. We've been taking daily moseys around the cut cornfields, going slightly further each day. I'm riding alone, so am grateful that Duke is willing to at least plod out and about without making a fuss. The pace does pick up a bit when heading back to the barn, but he's being so reasonable. Heart singing!

Big wind and rain coming on Wed, but temps still staying in the 50s mostly, for the next two weeks. :shock: :D

I can't believe this weather either! Last night was a bit ominous with the wind, but the weekend is going to be beautiful again. I can't believe it's November, and I'll be out riding in the leaves again this weekend!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:34 am

Sunshine2Me wrote:
I can't believe this weather either! Last night was a bit ominous with the wind, but the weekend is going to be beautiful again. I can't believe it's November, and I'll be out riding in the leaves again this weekend!

I missed a full week of great riding weather with the flu, and about the time I started to think about saddling up again (yesterday, actually), it started raining. But, a couple more days of wind and rain and we've got another good stretch coming, so I'm hitting the trails on Sunday and then it's going to be back to much more regular riding again!

We all know that this weather isn't going to last, so we'd better get out there and enjoy it while we've got it.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:34 am

Another trail ride today. Magic was so lazy! Seventy degrees in mid-November in central Illinois! This has definitely been a gift! We kind of meandered around, again crunching leaves as we went. I could get used to this!!!

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:34 am

I got out Sat and Sun as well. Should have gone today too, but I jave to plan ahead to have Duke kept down from the hill pasture. They come in for the winter when deer hunting starts. Then I can be more spontaneous. Got on for the first time without longeing. *sigh*. It's been so lovely.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:35 pm

I had a nice ride Sunday and finished with some suppling ring work. Yesterday tried a repeat but warmer weather maybe pony a bit lazy - tuned out. Today driveway being done and lots of vehicles and workers busy - making noise. Pony watching from safe distance and giving them the stink eye. Doesn't look like a good idea to attempt a ride today as my little trail passes alongside the driveway. :roll:

demi

Postby demi » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:56 am

Josette wrote:I had a nice ride Sunday and finished with some suppling ring work. Yesterday tried a repeat but warmer weather maybe pony a bit lazy - tuned out. Today driveway being done and lots of vehicles and workers busy - making noise. Pony watching from safe distance and giving them the stink eye. Doesn't look like a good idea to attempt a ride today as my little trail passes alongside the driveway. :roll:

I have been so careful to choose the "right" rides for the situation and it has paid off. In the first 3 years there were lots of days when I just lounged Rocky and although she is finally getting very reliable, there are still the occassional days when I decide to lounge before riding.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:11 pm

I managed to squeeze in a ride yesterday at lunch time. (It' s good to work from home.) Pony had gotten use to the noise and activity at the end of the driveway - actually woke him up a bit. I'm sure the slightly cooler temperature helped too as he has gotten very hairy. Did our trail walk to stretch (mostly me) and get him motivated. Ended with some nice ring work again the focus with him is always about suppling and don't hang/curl as an evasion. So nice when he is moving freely forward, connected, relaxed and LISTENING. :D He is my happy drug on those kinds of rides. Today will be the last warm spike and waiting for rain to start next.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:54 pm

Josette wrote:I managed to squeeze in a ride yesterday at lunch time. (It' s good to work from home.) Pony had gotten use to the noise and activity at the end of the driveway - actually woke him up a bit. I'm sure the slightly cooler temperature helped too as he has gotten very hairy. Did our trail walk to stretch (mostly me) and get him motivated. Ended with some nice ring work again the focus with him is always about suppling and don't hang/curl as an evasion. So nice when he is moving freely forward, connected, relaxed and LISTENING. :D He is my happy drug on those kinds of rides. Today will be the last warm spike and waiting for rain to start next.
Josette, you are more than welcome to van up to my place to ride anytime; ever stay a spell if you like. I have 44 open/rolling acres that you can safely hack on plus the indoor. I know I am pretty far from you, but sometimes it's worth it to get that riding 'fix' in during the winter. I know my gelding would more than welcome a buddy.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:37 pm

MC - Thank you!!!! I may seriously take you up in the future! Your property sounds awesome!!

Return to “Senior Horses/Senior Riders”