Cellulitis

Topic for older horses and older riders
westisbest
Herd Member

Cellulitis

Postby westisbest » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:34 am

My now 26 yr old got hit with cellulitis 10 days ago. Brought him in back leg was swollen got vet in immediately thankfully. Prob from a tiny amount of scratches and a muddy paddock. We have had the worst summer ever here for rain. Odd because he’s had much worse scratches before but it never went to cellulitis. He got sick from sulfa two years ago so had to do IM 2 x daily of Exnell which worked fast. And a week of bute. I kept him in for three days just twice daily lunging as per vet instruction. He’s coming along well trot ok can’t quite hold canter today loading bad leg but other side is perfect. I am terribly worried he’ll get this again, I obsess over him as it is . Overall he’s in good shape. I know it’s not age related but still... maybe his immune system is failing.

I wish I could get back the happiness I used to have and just enjoy every day with him. Ever since he turned 25 last year I am consumed with anxiety. This is not good for either of us.

Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Cellulitis

Postby Flight » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:43 am

Sorry that it is so worrying for you. I guess it does get worrying as they get older for what can happen. I have a couple of friends with horses in their 20s and they do talk about little issues with them that gets them worried.
Hope your guy heals up completely and you don't have it happen again!

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:56 am

Hi Westi. Nice to see you back again.
Is cellulitis more prevelant in older horses with weaker immune systems? I don't know. I can say that I have had it in several young horses. In one, it developed into lymphangitis clear up the groin and the horse had to be hospitalized for it. This, from a tiny scratch on the leg. I do think that scratches can be something that reoccur because the bacteria/fungus never really die off completely with treatment. I had one scratches prone horse that I treated routinely (with panalog) even when she didn't have them.

I won't tell you not to worry, because I know how that is with horses.

I have heard the horses in the south get celluitis all the time from the humidity.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:47 pm

My vet said no it can happen from foal hood on. Only other one of our herd of 14 there that had it was 4 at the time. I had him blood tested last year for Cushings even tho he has no symptoms and he was right in normal range so that’s not a factor.

Thx for the reassurance I just need to get back riding and have positive goals instead of fear mongering myself.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:44 am

Almost back to normal today. Charging around head throwing canter like his bad ass self. Seems like it can go like this fast onset fast cure with the right pricey in this case antibiotic. Putting the ice boot on daily as there’s still some residual swelling.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:20 am

musical comedy wrote:I have heard the horses in the south get celluitis all the time from the humidity.

You can say that again. Humidity or something. :-0

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:40 pm

OK, lucky (or dumb) here, I've never seen a case of cellulitis, at least that I've recognized. I'd appreciate a brief tutorial, if anyone is willing. My oldster (just turned 28!), has had the occasional stocking up, especially if he has to stay overnight in his stall due to bad weather, but I've always attributed those incidents as lack of movement on his part. Always resolves with turnout. He frequently gets nicks and dings on lower legs that respond well to cleaning and topical ointments.

BTW, our humidity here has been off the charts high, which we used to not see in the summers. Go figure...

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:21 pm

texsuze wrote:OK, lucky (or dumb) here, I've never seen a case of cellulitis, at least that I've recognized. I'd appreciate a brief tutorial, if anyone is willing. My oldster (just turned 28!), has had the occasional stocking up, especially if he has to stay overnight in his stall due to bad weather, but I've always attributed those incidents as lack of movement on his part. Always resolves with turnout. He frequently gets nicks and dings on lower legs that respond well to cleaning and topical ointments.

BTW, our humidity here has been off the charts high, which we used to not see in the summers. Go figure...

I hadn’t either in 25 yrs of horses but once mine got it several friends have said they did.

It generally comes on fast one horse apparently blew up in a couple of hours. It’s infection in the tissue under the skin. It can progress to lymph system if not caught quickly. Horse front or back leg well anywhere on body swelling heat pain. May have fever mine didn’t. Mine could bear weight but moving was painful for a couple days. If not treated can go septic and can be fatal.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:20 pm

Thanks for the refresher course; important information to know, especially with these oldsters like mine.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:50 pm

My older mare was having issues in 2015 with cellulitis to the point of using dex (bad decision) to try to clear it up. She foundered from dex and I almost lost her but it lead us to test for PPID and sure enough she had early PPID. Put her on prascend and she has not had cellulitis since and yes we live in the SE, Georgia to be precise. I've learned to have the pastures cut shorter to help keep scratches at bay and that has worked well for all of mine who are out overnight.

My suggestion would be to test for PPID if he is not already on prascend for it.

Return to “Senior Horses/Senior Riders”