Have you ever observed prejudice of older riders?

Topic for older horses and older riders
Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Have you ever observed prejudice of older riders?

Postby Josette » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:49 pm

Let me preface that my post is not meant to insult anyone. These are simply some situations that I have encountered in the past.

So, I'm curious if any of you older riders or younger riders have opinions on the skills of older riders. For example, when an older rider inquires for a sale horse and identifies them self as an older experienced adult rider. Do you have some preconceived ideas of what an older female rider looks like in her appearance and how she rides?

I'll assume in my age group because we have fewer riding years left - that you might be more interested in a horse already going well under saddle, safe, sound and even a show record. Plus how deep your wallet can go. I've observed some sale horses must go to mandatory show homes. Okay - I get that if the horse is $40K plus the buyers would probably have show goals along with possible breeding potential for mares. However, what if you inquire for a lower level horse where the video shows a child rider at the end - to show oh what a safe horse. But upon talking to trainer/seller they immediately disqualify you as a buyer because you are not in a boarding training dressage barn? You mention you are an older rider. Well my first thought is that horse cannot be ridden without a trainer on the ground - so immediate turn off for me. But, I'm curious about this immediate impression that I may not have been capable of riding that sale horse. Seller can certainly decide who to sell to and make a suitable choice as they know the horse best. But as a buyer do you to provide a show resume of your riding ability? Can you make a purchase for the simple joy of riding and learning on a nice talented horse - without showing as high priority?

Also, I get the impression that if one of your criteria is the horse must be safe to hack outside of a ring - as in ride trails. That seems to be some sort of flag? I don't know what kind but almost as if you should be looking at a child's older school horse type. Why can't the horse be able to dressage plus be able to ride outside? And I already know many of you here do both - but I've boarded in the past where owners never stepped foot outside the indoor. I on the other hand - every weekend loaded up the trailer and myself and friend went to the local park or rode hunter paces. So much fun!

In conclusion - maybe the part of the country makes a difference too? I would guess in certain areas of heavy horse population there is more interest in making a sale. I would think that might give you a different experience too. So wondering what your thoughts are on this unusual topic.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Re: Have you ever observed prejudice of older riders?

Postby Tanga » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:44 pm

I have not seem it in regard to age. I have seen a lot of trainers and riders who do not do a good job training their horses, so they are not safe. Rather than seeing this as a bad thing, they turn it into something where you have to keep paying them or someone else so you can ride it in a ring.

I have prejudice against anyone who does NOT ride their horses on trails and out of the ring and does not insist on good behavior, always, from horses because it is unsafe for anyone. But there are far too many people like that.

Return to “Senior Horses/Senior Riders”