Pet transport companies

All about the animals that are in our lives that are NOT horses
texsuze
500 post plus club

Pet transport companies

Postby texsuze » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:52 am

My good buddy in Castle Rock, CO has decided to adopt a 4 1/2 year old female (spayed) yellow lab. The dog is being fostered down here in TX, about an hour from me. I saw a flyer in my veterinarian's office offering this pup for adoption and put the wheels in motion for my buddy to contact the foster mom 8-) My buddy and the foster mom have been texting back and forth, with foster mom providing a daily photo gallery of this pup's antics and activities. She seems like an awesome dog! If I were searching for a pup she'd already be here with us.

Anyway, this lab will need to travel from TX to CO, so if anyone has recommendations, pros/cons about any pet transport companies they have experience with, or even travel tips, I know my friend would be most appreciative. Neither of us has used a pet mover before. Thanks in advance for your info.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Re: Pet transport companies

Postby Srhorselady » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:08 am

It’s been many years but when we bred show dogs we would fly dogs regularly all over the country by major airlines on direct flights. Just buy a good kennel that fastens securely and make sure the tags are not close enough to be chewed off.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:58 pm

Thanks, SR for the input. My buddy has indicated she doesn't want to fly her new canine companion, since our summer temperatures here can be brutal, especially during the timeframe being considered in getting this pup from TX to CO. I guess delays and other horror stories abound with pet transport via the airways, especially since care and efficiency seem to have disintegrated with The Cootie!

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:50 pm

Update: my friend has managed to engage a close friend of hers to fly down to TX, rent a car, pick up the new canine companion, and undertake a 2-day road trip back to CO to bring this pooch to her new forever home. My friend will, unfortunately, be in the midst of a stressful surgery and post-surgery radiation situation and likely can't manage the travel. Fingers crossed that all goes well! Now that's friendship!

Return to “The Menagerie”