Traction for my old dog?

All about the animals that are in our lives that are NOT horses
StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Traction for my old dog?

Postby StraightForward » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:28 am

My old dog (pit mix??) is having more trouble lately with the kitchen floor. :( If she starts scrambling and tries to dig in her claws, things get worse because she loses the traction from her pads. Is there any sort of product around that can be put on their feet to help get traction? Would Soft Paws help at all? I'm going to put a mat in front of her food dish since she often lies down near it and then struggles to get up, but it would be nice if she wasn't panicking and scrambling whenever she tries to make as sudden move on the vinyl or tile.
Keep calm and canter on.

gypsy still flies
Greenie

Re: Traction for my old dog?

Postby gypsy still flies » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:12 pm

http://www.ultrapaws.com/traction-dog-boots/

What about these? I found them after a search. I don't know how well they work as I have cats but they got really good reviews.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:14 pm

I never had much luck with dog boots/products for traction. They work at first, then get a layer of dirt/dust on them and lose their effectiveness, at least in my experience.

I bought a bunch of rubber-backed mats and placed them strategically in the house. I did this for each of my Danes as they grew up, and it works a charm. If they get dirty, I just throw them in the washer and hang-dry, and they're ready to go again.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:30 pm

https://www.facebook.com/AnimalWellness ... =3&theater

No idea how well they work but I have been thinking of getting some for Scarlett

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:20 pm

Thanks, I will give some of these a try and report back. I could probably make her some booties like that and just change out the rubberized part if it starts getting slick.
Keep calm and canter on.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:19 pm

For our old pup we, too, ended up strategically placing rubber-backed door mats and runners where she needed to walk most. When it came to stairs, DH simply carried her (50#) upstairs every evening, and I carried her downstairs every morning during her last months with us.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:29 pm

I use to pet sit a lab who was fearful of walking on kitchen floor and would panic and scramble. I did what texsure described and placed runners and large area rugs with rubber backing around. It worked very well and he would only walk and lay on these floor coverings.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:31 am

Thanks again!

I just ordered the toe grips and will see if CostCo has a couple big floor mats. For some reason she eats in the kitchen and then lies down right between her dish and the carpet, then struggles to get up and scrambles over onto the carpet and flops back down. She can still walk just fine as long as she stays calm and doesn't tense up so her pads come off the floor. Tried explaining this to her but she wouldn't listen. ;)

I'll have to put a harness on her to help her up and down stairs eventually - she's closer to 85# and goes stiff/dead weight as soon as anyone tries picking her up.
Keep calm and canter on.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:36 pm

A large bath towel placed under the belly works too for short stairs. Been there - done that too.

gee
Greenie

Postby gee » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:20 pm

SHAWS PAW WAX

Also, make sure toenails are kept short. If you can hear clicking on the floor, they are too long.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:31 am

Gee, thanks! ;) ordered Paw Wax too. And yeah, the nail trimming helps and I need to be more diligent.
Keep calm and canter on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:50 pm

Update - the Toe Grips are working great. She seemed to learn not to lay on the kitchen floor as much by the time they arrived. But I have seen her get up from that floor more easily at least once since she's had them. To my surprise she ignores them completely and they have all stayed on for about a week so far. I think they just make it easier for her to stay upright on the slick floor as well, which is great! The instructions say they will last 1-3 months. Hopefully towards the 3 months since they're $30/set but we'll see.

Just as a heads up on the Paw Wax. I ordered it from Amazon on November 27 and it's not scheduled to get here until January 8th. So if anyone else needs it, maybe look for another source because it is apparently back-ordered.
Keep calm and canter on.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:27 pm

Really late to the party but in case it helps anyone...yoga mats, everywhere. 2 of our 3 older dogs are 3-legged and we have Pergo floors. Vet suggested going to marshalls or tj Maxx and buying some for $5-$10 and they have really helped with traffic patterns where area rugs/runners are not.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:59 pm

Glad to know the toe grips help. My older Bully is beginning to have trouble on the hardwood

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:11 pm

Chi, if you want, I have some large and XL toe grips I can send you. My dog died in April, and I have a bunch of unused ones.
Keep calm and canter on.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:04 pm

Straightforward, I am so sorry about your pup. :(

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:50 pm

StraightForward wrote:Chi, if you want, I have some large and XL toe grips I can send you. My dog died in April, and I have a bunch of unused ones.

I am so very sorry for your loss. :( . I hope reviving this thread did not bring painful memories.

As my bully gets older her toe nails tend to curl back toward her pads,. Keeping them well trimmed often has helped her have better footing on the floor. I would like to try the traction pads if you think they would fit over her misshapen claws

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:47 pm

Thanks Fergus, and Chi.

Chisamba, I think the Toe Grips would probably still work. You'll want to look on their website and measure your dog's claws to see what size she needs. Let me know, and I'll be happy to send them to you!
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “The Menagerie”