New dog--boundary training??

All about the animals that are in our lives that are NOT horses
texsuze
500 post plus club

New dog--boundary training??

Postby texsuze » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:01 pm

Posting this here as spinoff to the OBS posts about new rescue pups!

Bentley (coming 2 y.o. yellow lab mix) who we adopted a couple weeks ago has successfully gone through his neutering, all vaccs, etc. He is a good-natured, smart, happy young dog, who knows some commands, and LOVES being outside, thank heavens!

Our goal: to train Bentley to stay inside the yard fence when either or both of us leave the house in a vehicle or in the Gator. When we're home, he's in the house with us.
Our environment: Rural location on acreage; house is in the middle of our property. Our fencing (6' mesh, one automatic gate at driveway, two other "people gates") surrounds the house and about 2 acres total. This is our "yard".

Our automatic gate uses sensors buried in the ground along the driveway, that open the gate when a vehicle drives in or drives out. Gate opens to 90 degrees, stays open for xx-seconds, then automatically closes.

DH has found training info on creating a 'boundary', essentially encompassing the arc of the gate and the driveway at the gate so Bentley (in a perfect world!) remains off to one side as someone drives out, waits for gate to close, and then receives a treat as reward.

Anyone with tips, experience, etc. on either boundary training or similar training situation? We need to begin this journey soon. Thanks in advance!

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: New dog--boundary training??

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:32 pm

I'm of no use, as I don't leave my dog(s) inside our 3.5 acre exercise area without supervision. If we leave them outside while we are driving in and out of the area, they are in a secure kennel run or in the house. But I have bird dogs!

Return to “The Menagerie”