How does this even happen?

A forum dedicated to getting the rider healthy and fit and ready to ride!!
PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

How does this even happen?

Postby PhoenixRising » Fri May 20, 2022 4:53 pm

I started seeing a new chiropractor this week, and as part of the intake/assessment, he took x-rays as they do. But you know it’s bad when the first thing they say when going over the results with you are “have you SEEN your x-rays lately?”
So here’s the thing. We think I broke my back, goodness only knows how long ago. I’ve had a few hard falls over the years. I know I had a bulging disc years ago but no one has ever caught the break before. There is also a concerning amount of degeneration between L4 and L5 where I had the disc injury.
It took my brain a long time to process. We talked about self care going forward but not necessarily what that looks like. I’m going to ask next week.
I don’t currently have a PC doctor but I’m looking.
I guess my point in posting is partly shock and disbelief. But also…. What would you do!? I’m thinking of starting a joint/bone supplement, do you have a favorite brand?
Bonus image of Gilbert offering our Phoenix some of his juice this morning because it’s just too cute!
Attachments
C38B1943-FB44-45A5-92DF-B088523A85CD.jpeg
C38B1943-FB44-45A5-92DF-B088523A85CD.jpeg (122.6 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
E4FA2002-F265-47E9-A68E-E55DE701E8D8.jpeg
E4FA2002-F265-47E9-A68E-E55DE701E8D8.jpeg (121.33 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
7FA4B26C-DF4B-43E1-89DF-2D040145F3C6.jpeg
7FA4B26C-DF4B-43E1-89DF-2D040145F3C6.jpeg (90.21 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Re: How does this even happen?

Postby Tanga » Fri May 20, 2022 5:00 pm

I have no idea what I'm looking at, but I think a large number of us probably have a lot of scary things in our xrays.

I'm 58. I take an over 50 multivitamin every day and some other things. I also do my Zoom exercise class 5 days a week with a chiropractor who is wonderful about ever quite doing same thing twice. I have notice very slowly over the years I am stronger everywhere and more flexible everywhere. As with horses, I think for us conditioning is the key.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Sat May 21, 2022 3:12 am

I have fractured my back and have herniated disc's I live with. My ortho says (like Tanga said). every normally active adult back he xrays or has MRI have some form of break, stenosis, herniation et al. You chiropractor most likely knows that too.

I strongly recommend daily exercises designed to supple strengthen and support. I have recently started turmeric but I'm not noticing a difference.

Good orthotics, new shoes every time your sole wears unevenly, and daily 20 minute minimum or stretch and strengthening are my keys to function. I'm rarely pain free but I can function

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Mon May 23, 2022 4:06 pm

Now that I’ve had a few days to process the information, I’m not quite as in shock.

I don’t think he was surprised to find what he did so much as he was surprised by the fact no one knew about the fracture, and the amount of degeneration for my age more specifically. I’m only 32.
If you don’t see it, what we’re looking at is the R transverse process on the L5.

I’m still in a little denial about it, and am hoping once I find a new doctor we can revisit and figure out if it is for sure broken or maybe just a bad X-ray.

For now, I think you’re both right. My core has been really weak since pregnancy, I need to work on that. I’m already exercising more, mostly riding and bicycling, as I have more time in my day now that I’m weaning. I think I need to add yoga and stretching more into my routine, as well as look into a good joint supplement. I’ve also heard good things about turmeric.

The shoes are a good point too. This isn’t the first time lately orthotics have come up as something I should consider. My feet always hurt, especially after a full day at a barn in paddock boots. I can barely walk those evenings.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Return to “Rider health and fitness”