Scapular/upper body stability exercises

A forum dedicated to getting the rider healthy and fit and ready to ride!!
Janet
Greenie

Scapular/upper body stability exercises

Postby Janet » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:53 pm

I tend to tip forward with my shoulders when I ride - which I know makes my seat ineffective. My trainer and I have been very carefully evaluating what fixes the tip, and we think it is in part a weakness in my scapular area. I need to pull that area more down and into my core to avoid the tip. If I do this for any significant period of time I quickly get sore and have a hard time maintaining the connection.

I already do a fairly strenuous core work out 2 or 3 times a week, but it is lots of lower core/lower back - not so much for the upper back and connections between the two. Does anyone know of any specific exercises, out special equipment other than bar bells and exercise bands, which help.
this area? Videos would be great to!

The only exercise I have found so far that hits the exact target area is putting an exercise band on a door handle and then using just the muscles around an behind my shoulder blade pulling and slowly releasing the band - this is effective - but I want to strengthen the whole area - not just one set of muscles.

Thanks in advance!!

Ganas
Herd Member

Re: Scapular/upper body stability exercises

Postby Ganas » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:33 pm

Not exactly for pulling the scapulas back and down, but IMO this is one of the best upper body core exercises out there.
https://youtu.be/L4oFJRDAU4Q

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:33 pm

I can't seem to find it right now, but there is a YouTube video on correcting posture for baseball players. Using something between a broomstick and a 45# barbell, based on your strength, pick the bar up off the floor holding with palms up. Standing straight up, keeping tailbone tucked pull shoulder blades back and down, hold for several seconds, let your shoulders slump forward, and then repeat. It doesn't feel like a lot when you're doing it, but you'll feel it later. It's important to keep your tailbone tucked and make sure your core is engaged while engaging your upper back. I use a weight for this and also tip forward at the waist between reps and let the weight stretch my back muscles out, but be careful doing this if you're not confident in your back stability.
Keep calm and canter on.

angelanavejas
Greenie

Postby angelanavejas » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:33 pm

You take the help of trainer for the particular part of the body.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:05 am

I use a Cybex ARC trainer for about 30 minutes a couple times per week in addition to my usual workout. It's by far the best exercise I have used that impacts my riding.

LuvDulce
Greenie

Postby LuvDulce » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:11 pm

Hi! I'm a Physical Therapist Assistant and Personal Trainer :) Hopefully I can help! It sounds like your lower trapezius needs strengthening. The traps are the huge back muscle starting at the back of your head, and extending all the way down past your shoulder blades. It is not uncommon to have strong upper traps and weak lower traps. Exercises such as the "longpull" and lat pull downs with a slightly less than shoulder width grip will help. Also, google "serratus press". It will make you more aware of when you are protracting and retracting your shoulder blades :) All can be modified to use bands. Let me know if you need any help Modifying! Hope I could help!

Return to “Rider health and fitness”