Motivember Challenge Week 3- Go BIG or

A forum dedicated to getting the rider healthy and fit and ready to ride!!
Ganas
Herd Member

Motivember Challenge Week 3- Go BIG or

Postby Ganas » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:51 am

not, it's really up to you. :D

Oh boy was I bad with the sleep last week. Three nights up at 2AM, prowling around the house. Ooops!

At the end of the 30 days I think I'll be seeking put something more comprehensive than Duolingo for learning German. It's good, and it's working, but I think I like something a bit more structured where I'm aked to write down conjugations, etc. I'm finding I'm able to recognize vocabulary well, but to come up with it in on my own I'm not so good. Plus it let me go up through the levels and I think I did too much and simply couldn't remember all of it. So last week I backed off and mostly did review work.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Re: Motivember Challenge Week 3- Go BIG or

Postby Chancellor » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:26 pm

Last week, I got zero points. I got very little exercise. Going to do better this week.

As for Duolingo, I tried learning Lithuanian using Pimsleur's language CDs. I didn't find I learned well that way. I do much better SEEING the words than just hearing them. I remember when I was little having a record that would read along with a book. "Bing.....Turn the page". I did much better learning that way. I was reading before kindergarten!

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:29 pm

Whole30 is going well. I made a conscious decision to eat a little rice this time around. We had some for dinner Sunday night and no issues. Also got a good gym workout with kettlebells, barbells and box jumps Sunday night. I'm also getting more adventurous with hand weights while on the Bosu ball, which is great for balance in the saddle. I'm tapping into the higher energy levels that come after several days of doing this. My dog had surgery to remove a sarcoma last week so I've been a little tied down with him, but might bust out the headlamp and go for a run tonight (getting dark before 6:00 now, whaaa!). I'm definitely looking slimmer through the midsection, which is nice.

Next week I'm challenging myself to be at work no later than 7 am so I'll have enough daylight to run or go to the barn after work each day.
Keep calm and canter on.

Ganas
Herd Member

Postby Ganas » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:05 pm

Chancellor, how's it going this week??

SF- jingles for your puppy!

I almost always run after dark this time of the year, it is sooo beautiful. Last night there was a crescent moon that was HUGE just before it dipped below the horizon, and I saw a meteor just as I was finishing. I normally run around 9PM or so.

I think I had a cake hangover yesterday after the husband's birthday on Monday. It was really good cake, I couldn't help myself!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:18 pm

I have not been drinking enough water, but I have been better about less cursing, and blood sugar control, testing and injecting more.

I do not feel as though I have come close to mastery of any of them, my goals I mean.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:52 pm

Ganas wrote:Chancellor, how's it going this week??

SF- jingles for your puppy!

I almost always run after dark this time of the year, it is sooo beautiful. Last night there was a crescent moon that was HUGE just before it dipped below the horizon, and I saw a meteor just as I was finishing. I normally run around 9PM or so.

I think I had a cake hangover yesterday after the husband's birthday on Monday. It was really good cake, I couldn't help myself!

Yeah, I like running after dark too, just need to get back in the habit. It's not as fun since the dog can't go with me. Maybe when he's cleared to go with me, I'll be more motivated to get off the couch at night. So yeah, I didn't get out there last night, but should be able to go out before dark today.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:11 pm

I do the opposite and run before it's light, even this time of year — 16 miles this morning.

We're in suburbia, so there's plenty of street light, whether planned lights or just residual light. I'm both looking forward to and dreading moving to south county (more rural). I'll definitely need a head lamp, reflective clothes, and probably should actually carry that can of pepper spray for loose dogs.

For language, it's expensive, but my husband has good luck with Rosetta Stone. I mostly use Duolingo to keep the rust off languages I already know.

Chisamba, any effort to create new habits is a long slog. Don't be too tough on yourself — you're making progress.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:37 pm

I missed Monday's exercise because of an issue at work but I did get in a good walk yesterday.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:53 pm

I am glad most everyone is doing well. I am not...at least I am still keeping up with exercise and riding, it's just the diet that is the problem. I will not give up.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:27 pm

I finally got out and rode my horse and it was fun and easy just as I knew it would be, so now I just need to keep it up.

So I have one tiny little goal for the challenge (that I, for some reason, insist upon making into a mountain): change my clothes, go out and get my horse, brush the mud off, put the saddle and bridle on, get on.

Once I'm on I'm good, but for some reason I seem to enjoy procrastinating almost as much as I enjoy riding.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:39 am

Ran 6k on Wednesday. It was one of those tough slogs but got through it.

Yesterday got a short gym workout in. I've been toying with 20-30 minute workouts with mostly kettlebells, rowing machine, box jumps and some weights. Just enough to get some muscle soreness and keep my heart rate up the whole time.
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Rider health and fitness”