Health and Fitness 2024

A forum dedicated to getting the rider healthy and fit and ready to ride!!
StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Health and Fitness 2024

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:37 am

It was interesting going back and reading through the 2023 thread. I'm not exactly back where I started last year though, so that's good. Definitely stronger in my core; I did 2x60 second planks today without much trouble.

Once again I'm thinking of getting back to running. Last year I think I made it until about March and then got so busy I just caved. However, I did finish DRT 3, and have been steadily hitting the gym three times a week the past few months. Diet was pretty hit or miss, especially the second half of the year, but I've stayed within about a 3# range all year.

Even moreso this year, I need the strength, flexibility, and all the other elements to sit Tesla's trot and hope to look semi-elegant. With one less horse, I should be able to focus more on getting the workouts it.

To kick off the year, I'm doing a 30 day Feldenkrais challenge.

For the rest of the year my plan is:
2 runs a week, at least one outside
3 strength/balance/mobility workouts a week
2 additional cardio sessions per week (these are almost always before a gym workout)

Foodwise, keeping it simple:
Limit carbs, especially sugar and refined carbs
Eat the veggies
Go a little easier on the wine
Drink plenty of water
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Re: Health and Fitness 2024

Postby heddylamar » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:27 pm

I was really good about hitting my weight lifting and aerobic goals in 2023, and it's showing. The bum shoulder is in a much better place than in 2020(?) when I started this whole weight lifting lark. It was super hard the first year+ to stay on track when my shoulder screamed daily.

I need to get my hip back to its good place. That involves not spending much time sitting, and doing al lot of dynamic strengthening and stretching exercises like weighted marching bridges, banded dead bugs, and banded sumo squat walk.

In addition to strengthening the piriformis, I need to increase either running or rowing machine workouts to support all those muscles.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:55 pm

Ah yes, sitting! I am buying a Home Horse from someone on CotH. Need to make some adjustments toy workspace, but the plan is to use it as much as possible during the workday. Maybe I'll banish my chair from the room.
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:24 pm

I’m down 20 lbs have another 20 to go. Tracking macros seems to work well for me. Did not put on anything over the holidays even though I definitely splurged.

I’m continuing Pilates twice weekly 3 lessons each week. I’m also on a quest about proper ab engagement which relates to pelvic floor. Also proper diaphragm breathing which again relates to pelvic floor. So proper ab work will be my focus this year.

We have a Bowflex now I need to use it!

I’ve never been good at taking care of myself this year with my neck and pelvic floor issues shows me I need to. Much better as the caregiver. That has to stop. I’ll be 57 this year with a foal on the way. I need to stay healthy!!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:44 am

Well, I did join the Y. I've done a little cycling on one of those bikes that takes you on interactive terrains. I'm currently cycling in Costa Rica.

I also joined a beginners pickle ball group. I'm embarrassingly bad.

Weight, I'm ok. Lost a bit but would like to lose more

Fitness trying to work out what I can do without crippling my knee.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:05 am

You all are so good! I need to set myself some goals so I have a plan, but I'm impressed with y'all!

Return to “Rider health and fitness”