show breech recommends?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Dresseur
500 post plus club

show breech recommends?

Postby Dresseur » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:13 pm

I have less than 7 weeks before I put on a shadbelly for the first time :shock: :shock:
With that in mind, I started looking at my show breeches. I'm not into spending 100's of dollars on breeches - my favorite pair are TuffRiders ribbed white knee patch breeches because they are comfortable, wear like iron, and are NOT see through. However, my waist is long. I have a full hand's width between my hips and my first rib, which means that everything fits me like low rise. Even the "mid-rise" breeches sit an inch and a half below my belly button, which will not give a clean look when paired with a shadbelly. (I'm not digging the hunter look where the belt shows below the points).

So, are there any legitimate high rise white knee-patch breeches out there for less than $150? Help!

Gwen
Herd Member

Re: show breech recommends?

Postby Gwen » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:25 pm

Hm, I don't know if they are a high enough rise, and a little above budget (usually $175 or so), but I really love the Romfh Sarafina's. I have schooling colors and white, they are a nice thick sturdy fabric but with the right amount of stretch. I love them, and they seem to be wearing very well, I've been wearing them exclusively for over a year and i wouldn't even think about replacing any of them, they are in great shape. I wash them with all my other clothes and hang dry, although I have also accidentally dried them in the drier and they were fine.

Good luck! Shopping for breeches is almost as bad as shopping for saddles...

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:28 pm

Yes it is. And my list of "don't wants" is long :lol:

I don't want bling, I don't want back pockets, I don't want silicone grippiness, I don't want see-through... sigh.

Just plain, white, high waisted, knee patch breeches. A euroseat is a plus. Are they out there?!

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:10 pm

you could alter the breeches you like by adding a (very?) wide waistband

Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Flight » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:20 pm

The horze Grand Prix breeches have the wider, higher waist band (on me anyway) and are cheaper.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:03 pm

Hmm. I do know a seamstress that may be able to help. And I'll take a peek at the Horze breeches.
Thanks!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:31 am

I actually sprung for equissentials custom made white breeches to wear under my shad. they wear well and are made to fit completely customized. yes, it is possibly double your budget, but are you not planning to ride FEI levels consistently :)

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:15 am

I would hope to!
They make custom breeches?? I may have to spring for that. Sigh...

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:43 am

Tropical Rider will do a white knee patch in their show breeches, but IDK how high the rise is. It's natural waist in my Enduracools.
Keep calm and canter on.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:02 am

Rompf is a great suggestion for what you are looking for. They tend to be high-rise although some models might be out of your price range.

Also, I think these would fit your requirements. They are high rise and within your budget. I know you wanted knee-patch (god only knows why lol), but these would offer everything else.
http://www.dressageextensions.com/rhc-dressage-breeches-f%2fs/p/57451/

Good luck on the breeches AND at the show! :)

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:11 am

Thank you for all of the suggestions! I've tried full seats in different makes and fabrics, I HATE the feel. But, I love the euroseat, which seem to follow the seam lines of full seats...I find it to be super flattering. I think I'd be ok if the seat was a similar fabric, but I don't like when the fabrics have different feels, and I don't like to be "stuck" in the saddle. I can my budget, I just hate the idea of 200+ dollar breeches- I can get a nice bridle for that, that will last forever! Lol

Does anyone have an experience with the Equetech breeches? Specifically the Harmony model?

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:28 pm

Chisamba wrote:I actually sprung for equissentials custom made white breeches to wear under my shad. they wear well and are made to fit completely customized. yes, it is possibly double your budget, but are you not planning to ride FEI levels consistently :)

I wear equissentials as well, but they are not double her budget. They are custom at no additional charge. Here's the dressage patch one for only $169. If you add options like belt loops, etc., the price goes up. I love these breeches and with my odd figure, it's all I can wear.

http://www.equissentials.net/index.php/ ... eches.html

Dressur, did you purchase a shad yet? I have a 'giveaway' hunter shad if anyone is interested. I showed dressagei in it, and I doubt anyone even noticed.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:31 pm

I did indeed!! Dark grey with purple points, a tiny, tiny bit of sparkle. And bonus, it comes down a bit lower, it was custom made for someone who ended up not wanting it. But, it fit me perfectly, maybe a touch large in the shoulders/sleeves, but who cares!

IMG_1184.JPG
IMG_1184.JPG (75.6 KiB) Viewed 14389 times

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:41 pm

Ooo, that is beautiful! I have purchased two shads off ebay and gotten stung on both of them. You must be so excited about the fei debut. I know you will do excellent.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:34 am

That's pretty!

You asked about Equetech, and here I am, sitting here in pair that I've had for 4 years and worn the daylights out of, and they are still in very respectable condition.

I don't know the specific model you asked about, but I can tell you that when I have tried them on in England (my "local" tack shop there stocks them) they have tended to have a high waist and a more "mature" cut than the boy-clothes that are popular here. They are well made and a good price point.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:33 am

Have you tried Horze Grand Prix? They are higher rise, substantial fabric, nice wide waisteband...... and knee patch are under $100

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:34 pm

I've been looking at the Horze breeches in general, we have a horse expo going on today in PA and I'm thinking about popping over to see if they are carrying any brands that I can look at/touch lol.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:43 pm

These fit your reqs, but have the silicone on the knee patch, so might be more grippy than you want. With effort you could probably pull the silicone grippers off if you wanted.

http://www.horze.com/knee-patch-breeche ... =GJPU%2FSI

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:24 pm

Haf, I actually bought these at a horse expo. Another very generous DDB'r send me a pair of equissentials which fit beautifully, but it looks like they are no longer in business :(

Return to “Dressage Training”