My training with Gunnar Ostergaard

Postby ElaPe » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:19 pm

Working on collection

https://youtu.be/GSMHAOAsG80

musical comedy
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: My training with Gunnar Ostergaard

Postby musical comedy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:30 pm

Are you merely sharing, or do you want to have a discussion about it?

demi

Postby demi » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:53 pm

Thank you for sharing your lesson, ElaPae. I’ve heard of Gunnar, but never watched a lesson. After watching your lesson, I love the way he trains. He is so steady, so clear, and he obviously liked your mare and he appreciated your own good points. Of course, he mentioned the problems that have gone on longer than they should have, but he told you because he felt you could fix it (at least that was my take on it). The whole lesson was very encouraging.

Thanks again for sharing a quality lesson. Very nice.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:02 am

You should be very happy with how you and your horse developed during the course of that ride.

You are lucky to have access to such a good teacher and horseman! He looks like one of those that you can go "in the zone" with as he pretty much rides every stride with you. I love that--especially if I have a videographer so I can actually see what we did to get where we got to.

Thank you for sharing.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:33 pm

Thank you for sharing your lesson! You had some major challenges between the loud air traffic and people walking out from behind the greenery barrier. I really enjoyed watching the improvement during the lesson as you addressed adjustments and fixes. I really like his very clear concise communication (exactly how I mentally process information too)! A wonderful learning lesson riding with such a great trainer.

ElaPe
Novice

Postby ElaPe » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:51 pm

demi wrote:Thank you for sharing your lesson, ElaPae. I’ve heard of Gunnar, but never watched a lesson. After watching your lesson, I love the way he trains. He is so steady, so clear, and he obviously liked your mare and he appreciated your own good points. Of course, he mentioned the problems that have gone on longer than they should have, but he told you because he felt you could fix it (at least that was my take on it). The whole lesson was very encouraging.

Thanks again for sharing a quality lesson. Very nice.

I saw Gunnar three years ago giving lessons in this stable - it is very close to mine (0.6 mile). He comes here only twice a year on his way back to/from Denmark where he spends some time. It is a wonderful feeling to have someone like him, with his experience to give you a lesson. Too bad I do not have anyone like him around...

Moutaineer wrote:You should be very happy with how you and your horse developed during the course of that ride.

You are lucky to have access to such a good teacher and horseman! He looks like one of those that you can go "in the zone" with as he pretty much rides every stride with you. I love that--especially if I have a videographer so I can actually see what we did to get where we got to.

Thank you for sharing.

He is a good teacher, and he sees everything, like me tilting to the right side.

Josette wrote:Thank you for sharing your lesson! You had some major challenges between the loud air traffic and people walking out from behind the greenery barrier. I really enjoyed watching the improvement during the lesson as you addressed adjustments and fixes. I really like his very clear concise communication (exactly how I mentally process information too)! A wonderful learning lesson riding with such a great trainer.

Loud air traffic is an everyday thing (JFK airport some 20 miles away) and does not bother anyone, my mare's "spooks" because of people walking here and there were not scary at all because i know her well, she was just being distracted as this was a new place for her, but at the same time thanks to that she was more forward going :)

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:01 pm

oh! its 37 mins! horray! I am so glad you posted this so we can learn. LOVELY HORSE

ElaPe
Novice

Postby ElaPe » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:40 pm

Ryeissa wrote:oh! its 37 mins! horray! I am so glad you posted this so we can learn. LOVELY HORSE

I like to have the entire trainings video. :)

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:33 pm

Thanks for sharing your lesson. It's interesting seeing what other people teach etc.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:40 pm

Thank you for sharing it all! I have only watched half so far, but am enjoying it and the natural, sometimes rugged, evolution that a lesson can take on. I like how you are calm and steady, but also clear (my mare is similar to yours in reactions/"spooks"). It was also compelling to me because I have totally had that first 15 minutes of a lesson before from other very good trainers---It made me feel better that it is not just me that needs this kind of input from people with excellent timing!

I'm looking forward to part deux.
I've now watched the other half :-) Thanks again for posting. You and your mare are so nice and capable. Is she a Trakehner? I do like how the instructor was with you each stride (or every few strides)---how did that work for you? I will say that your mare did not get many/any proper breaks during the lesson (even when you halted). I was fine for that for the first 15 minutes (yes mare, you must be on the bit!), but then I was hoping for a few longer rein moments to let her let go. My sense was that you were both plenty fit--it is more a matter of using a break in frame as a reward/relaxation.

My comments for you would be (because I struggle similar challenges :-D ):
-Think about actually moving your center of gravity a little left on the left rein (or for a left FC). It will feel weird, but it will be more correct until things change in your seat.
-Your position tends towards a chair seat. That may be because you are ready for random mare-ness moves, or it may be your saddle. That puts you a bit behind the motion and a bit late for some aids.
-In that position, you sometimes need to lean back or take elbows way back to maintain connection. I think you just need a slightly shorter rein all the time (don't we all! LOL)

ElaPe
Novice

Postby ElaPe » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:07 pm

piedmontfields thank you for your comments and advice! Yes, I do tend to sit more to the right and I need to correct this at all times, at least try to think about it. I liked that the trainer was with me each stride, I am used to this kind of training from Poland from my trainer there.

Normally during my 60 min training sessions I do have a lot of walk breaks in long frame, but during this session with Gunnar when I wanted to give the horse long reins during the walk break he said no do not do it or it will be difficult to gather her again.

My mare is a wielkopolski Polish warmblood: 50% trakehener from the mother's side, father's side is partly hanoverian. She is 16 now and I have had her since she was 4 and I brought her with me from Poland when I came here in 2014.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:26 pm

ElaPe wrote:piedmontfields
Normally during my 60 min training sessions I do have a lot of walk breaks in long frame, but during this session with Gunnar when I wanted to give the horse long reins during the walk break he said no do not do it or it will be difficult to gather her again.

can you explain? why did he say she would be difficult to gather again?

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:33 pm

ElaPe wrote: My mare is a wielkopolski Polish warmblood: 50% trakehener from the mother's side, father's side is partly hanoverian. She is 16 now and I have had her since she was 4 and I brought her with me from Poland when I came here in 2014.

She is really beautiful, and quite a good worker! That is wonderful that you were able to bring her here and develop her.

ElaPe
Novice

Postby ElaPe » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:13 pm

Ryeissa wrote:
ElaPe wrote:piedmontfields

can you explain? why did he say she would be difficult to gather again?
I am not quite sure why he did not want me to give the horse a longer rein in walk break except that what he said.

piedmontfields: thank you. She tries hard but many times I have to really negotiate with her hence her name Negocjacja (negotioation)

Return to “Dressage Training”