Goals and progress... August and September!

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Goals and progress... August and September!

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:54 pm

Chisamba wrote:I prefer a light seat, so the horse can use its back freely, i say this often, whenever people talk about sitting deeper into their horse, i think perhaps its because i am a heavier rider, and because i had a male rider that i worked for, who was heavy as i am now, who used to use a lot of back and seat and i always had to take care of his horses sore backs. I prefer not to use shoulder imagery, because i have seen people use burlesque like shoulders and not bring their aids to their core or seat. ...
i do enjoy our training goals threads. thank you to everyone who participates!!

Ditto, I appreciate everyone's thoughtful and attentive input!

That is an interesting point, Chisamba. From your photos, I have the sense of you as a quiet, sensitive and light rider, even though you are not a slight person. I think because I tend to sit *too* light, I have had to learn to be more present in my seat at times--hence I find that shoulder imagery helpful at times. Also, Norsey is a strongly built horse, so I think a stronger seat might suit him. Khall, your Rip gives a similar impression of power, in a more mature horse.

On a random closing note, I would like to admire exvet and Junior. He is gorgeous and it is easy to imagine you two going places in time!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:34 pm

Piedmontfields you cut the part where i said that i realized your advice worked well for some people! just wanted to make sure you saw that!

Yes, exvets small horse is very nice.! i agree too.

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:04 am

Thanks everyone, I agree with everything said. I have started to try and sit deeper on him, now that he has a lot more muscle on his back. It's habit to try and stay light because he was so weedy at the start. I have to think it more in my core and flatten my lower back to keep my bum more in the saddle. His canter movement will really rock my shoulders.
He definitely pushes me to the right, I'm always trying to get myself back to the left. Apparently he looks a lot like his dad (who was a bigger ranger style Andy) but it seems like only his tail is Andy to me.
Chisamba, yes my outside hand is BAD, and I don't even feel myself doing it. It was worse in the trot. Might have to tape it to the other one. Agree about the preparation stuff, and seeing it on vid where I think I've prepared enough but haven't. I think it comes down to concentrating more about what I'm feeling is going on.

Thanks Brydie, I might have to check out the mastery program. I've definitely found her riding position stuff helpful. Grats on losing 6kg! Wish I could!

Yes, I love Exvet's ponies too!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:11 am

Flight, lovely horse. Lots of progress. He's quite the hunk, isn't he!

I see what Piedmont means, you look as if you are riding on your inner thigh in the canter. You may just need to open your hip angle a little to accommodate his broadening physique...

Laddie was a reformed character this evening. Didn't particularly want to carry himself, but at least was not looking for an excuse to ditch me and head for the hills... We will ride again tomorrow, which I predict will be a better ride in which we re-establish voluntary self carriage, and then we have a clinic ride Saturday.

In a fit of enthusiasm, I signed up to ride in a 2 day clinic with Kristi Wysocki next weekend. That will be interesting.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:36 am

I had many goals, but had an episode of progress-interuptus with inflamed facet joints and monster pain. So here are gratuitous pictures of my lovely friend jumping my super keen horse in a lesson this morning. I can't decide if I like riding him more, or if I like watching him more :D

The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:56 pm

beautiful! he has a nice jump, its so good for them!

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:16 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:Same here, Capstone. Between work and a cousin's wedding (in Hawaii, so don't feel too badly for me) I've been out of the saddle for the latter half of September.

We'll get 'em next time.

The next time I will be able to ride Cartier regularly will be March. Patience is a virtue (I struggle with).

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:29 pm

My final final update. Deneb did shoulder in on the circle. She made it seem quite easy. She is athletically gifted.

However, the free standing mounting block, which she passed numerous times, suddenly became a horse eater when viewed from shoulder in.

Note to self, reactive horses react.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:30 pm

Chisamba wrote:My final final update. Deneb did shoulder in on the circle. She made it seem quite easy. She is athletically gifted.

However, the free standing mounting block, which she passed numerous times, suddenly became a horse eater when viewed from shoulder in.

Just think how much easier this would be if the athletically gifted horses were also the calm and steady ones. I'm sure there are plenty of them out there, but I've just never ended up with one of them.

Return to “Dressage Training”