Goals and progress:. June and July.

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Mareless
Herd Member

Re: Goals and progress:. June and July.

Postby Mareless » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:09 pm

Reading along, but not posting much lately. The discussions on hands and draped thighs are so relevant to what I've been working on this month when I ride. It's great to read about everyone else's experiences with the same issues. Also the conversation on spooky horses; mine doesn't really care about noises or movement, but boy does he notice changes in light/color. With someone he trusts/feels secure with, he has much more confidence than if he has a nervous rider or person leading him. He's not a bolter, thank goodness; his preferred reaction is to leap sideways with all four feet. Or stick his nose down to see the 'thing' while stopping dead. So a deep seat is handy. :lol:

As far as my June goals, I think we are making a little progress on his feet (navicular). He is still on a low dose of bute, but in the past few weeks has changed his footfalls to be more heel first than toe-first on his front feet. I take that as a sign that his shoes will help, he just needs time with them. He's had them for a full month now and is due for a reset in two weeks. I am going to be on vacation the first week of July, so the BO and I are going to take him off the bute while I'm gone and see if he stays sound just bumming around the pasture. If so, I will try riding him without meds when I get back. If he doesn't stay sound, will talk to the vet and farrier before resetting the shoes and see if we should make any changes (such as adding pads?) at that time.

I had another lesson with my trainer last night. Second one on my horse, and it went really well. For one thing, he was sound, so we got to work on trot more, and she was impressed with how far I've come in sitting trot since my first lesson with her (on her horse) two months ago. Yay me! I've always felt that sitting trot was a big weakness of mine, but since I started riding with her now it is just another one of those things to work on instead of some big nemesis. I've also been working on keeping my elbows more elastic, and the result is that my horse is loving being ridden in contact. I can really feel a difference in how he steps up under himself with his hind legs, and his naughty habit of punching at the bit when he gets tired has pretty much disappeared.

kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby kande50 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:00 pm

musical comedy wrote:About the spooking. My good friend has a now 8 year old she's owned since he was 3. She cannot show this horse and he is way behind in his training because of the spooking. She's had him in full training a lot, but it takes so long to just get him over the spooking, that there's no time to get training done. Her horse is not 'hot'.He will be going along ok, and then just decide to do a wheelie. Point being that imo some horse never get over the spooking.

Yup, that would be my spooky ones. One minute they're trotting along all calm and relaxed, and the next they're facing the other way with plans to get outta Dodge.

My horse's confidence has improved a lot (as has my mule's), even though that's not obvious from the video. But that's the first time I've seen him get that worked up in awhile, and he got over it quickly so he is getting calmer in spite of my lack of interest in trying to push him through his fears.

Something that did occur to me though, is that if I had decided to try to ride him through his fear and succeeded, what would I have gained? He's already obedient when he's calm, and I'm not convinced that pressuring him enough to be able to continue to ride him when he's not calm would teach him much other than that it's possible to blow through the aids? Although if I had continued to ride him and he'd become calmer I might very well have patted myself on the back and thought, "wow, that really worked well", because I wouldn't have known that he would have gotten over it on his own, anyway. :-)

Wow on Sting. I would not have wanted to ride through that either. However, even my non spooky horse would look at something new in his familiar surroundings.

I'm fine with looking, but would prefer that they don't put quite so much energy into escaping, because I really don't want to go that fast, anymore. I can usually stay with my mule because he doesn't care how much I choke up on him because he just stiffens his neck and goes, but Sting is a different story, because I can block his escape, but if I do I risk him going up instead and I don't want to go up, but am not confident that I could let him go enough to prevent it.

Mountaineer, you two are just an awesome looking pair. So elegant![/quote]

Agree that you two make a very attractive pair!

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:15 am

Mountaineer, lovely photos! And thanks for sharing vid!
You both look great and did a nice test :)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:03 am

Thank you, all. I am incredibly lucky to have this fabulous horse. He's really beyond my wildest dreams and my paygrade.

Sue B, I took your advice to heart this evening and had perfect simple changes. This is why this kind of thread is so valuable to me. Just a little visualization and we cracked it :)

So, in that vein... medium canter to collected canter. Thoughts on how to achieve it? Mine universally sucks. We get revved up nicely in the medium, and he doesn't want to come back to me. I suspect I am using too much hand and not enough seat and that our medium gets on the forehand and runs, I'll take any magic bullet you have to offer!!!

And a question for you judging folks. That first medium trot in the video. How would you have scored it? To me, it's a 6. To this judge, it was a 5.5, which I thought was a tad harsh. I only ask because I want to know if I'm going in the right direction. (I'm not whining. I came out of the ring saying "well, that was probably a 63.5 ride" so I'm not unhappy :))

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:38 am

I use ten m circles to develop collection after mediums. I go very forwarded in the medium, then sit up and start a ten m circle, using the circle to develop collection.

After a few if those, instead of taking the circle I simply ride the classic inside leg to outside rein half halt to achieve the same. Perhaps even a stride of shoulder fore.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:18 pm

^ Agree with Chisamba. Shoulder-fore is handy for being a natural collection agent.

Other thoughts:
- Make sure you don't ride past your uphill balance in the medium canter, because once that train starts rolling downhill it's tough to bounce it back up into the collected canter. You can break the long side into several pieces of medium/compress/medium until you can sustain the whole stretch.
- Mind your tempo in the collected/medium/collected work. Should feel the same regardless of the stride length. When schooling, only do as many strides as your horse can handle without changing tempo and then compress again. Rinse, repeat.
- Aids: I essentially ask for the collected canter as if I were walking instead of doing a medium. It may take several strides to bounce all that forward momentum upwards, but each time the front feet strike the ground (i.e. right before the first step of the next stride), I give a touch with my inside leg as if I was asking for canter from the walk.

Kiwi is back into work, and is now a master of the trail ride.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:14 pm

Moutaineer wrote: Thank you, all. I am incredibly lucky to have this fabulous horse. He's really beyond my wildest dreams and my paygrade.

You really look great together and it is easy to imagine you moving up the levels with ease!

Moutaineer wrote: So, in that vein... medium canter to collected canter. Thoughts on how to achieve it? Mine universally sucks. We get revved up nicely in the medium, and he doesn't want to come back to me.

In addition to the prior advice, you might try for medium strides on a circle and then come back and then again into medium and back. The circle gives you room for repeated practice and the bend can help with collection. I will also bear the "bad" news (that you already know) that you are going to have to ride even more upright to help you with these transitions. I have been re-reading Beth Baumert's WHEN TWO SPINES ALIGN which has some great ideas for routine check-ins/improvements for alignment.

Moutaineer wrote:And a question for you judging folks. That first medium trot in the video. How would you have scored it? To me, it's a 6. To this judge, it was a 5.5, which I thought was a tad harsh.

Caveat, I am a not a judge (but have audited the entire L program). It was a 5 to a 6. A 6 would have been generous; a 5 a bit harsh. So I think it was fair. You do need to show more difference (collect) before starting and in finishing your medium. Take your time, use your corner, truly make the turn and then turn on the medium. You also have a horse who is clearly capable of an actual medium. Alas, that sometimes affects perception, too (as in a QH doing what your fellow did might get a 6).

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:08 pm

Mountaineer, how is your collected canter otherwise? I find it really helpful to have a well established collected canter for the transition back into it. When schooling the canter you can ask for more collection than is required, just for a few strides here and there, not to strain the horse or anything. Try to get the feeling of the horse cantering on the spot, or the speed of a person walking along side you. Some horses find this easier to achieve on a volte, others along the wall with a bit more outside rein.

Once you're comfortable with that type of work then try adjusting the stride, forward and back. When you think of bringing him back exaggerate again to the ultra collected feeling. Eventually you won't have to have quite a dramatic of a change (although judges do love to see a big difference), but hopefully the feeling is helpful to you. Good luck!! Your horse is beautiful and you make a great pair!! :)

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:10 pm

Well. The rest of my June/July plans have changed. Now I'm on rehab duty after Kiwi somehow got an impressive puncture in her neck. She's OK, but needs 3 weeks' worth of handwalking and minimal activity before we can resume normal riding. At least I'll get some steps in.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:58 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:Well. The rest of my June/July plans have changed. Now I'm on rehab duty after Kiwi somehow got an impressive puncture in her neck. She's OK, but needs 3 weeks' worth of handwalking and minimal activity before we can resume normal riding. At least I'll get some steps in.

Whoa--scary. What happened (if you want to share)?
Jingles to her and patience to you both.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:32 pm

I have introduced more transitions within the gait and lateral work in my trot sets on Kimba because ten minutes of working trot seems to encourage her to get a bit on the forehand and heavy in front.

We've also working on more transitions within the gait in canter. Kimba was a pacer, so I have to always focus on rhythm in adjusting her canter.

Deneb is in transition. She used to be a bit curly in the neck and behind the contact, now she is leaning a bit more heavily on the hands than I like. I wonder if this too has to do with introducing the trot sets. I am doing more transitions with her too, and beginning lateral work in trot .

Acacia is the one who most benefits from consistent boring work. She is inclined to want to look around every few seconds and I really struggle to keep her in consistent contact. Suggestions?

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:14 pm

Chisamba, how does Acacia handle 5 laps of the arena, going large? Does she zone out and settle or become more gawky since she is not busy? Same question regarding ultra busy work (lots of quick direction changes etc)..

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:33 pm

Tio is a little sore on his right front and Rudy's feet are getting too long, but the farrier is finally coming on Saturday (yay!) and I rode Rudy anyway. After a nice walk/trot out and about I schooled in the arena. Last time it was c-w-c and collected-medium-collected on a 20m circle and down the long side, and so last night was more about collected trot with lateral work. He is reluctant to use his right hind fully, especially in si as evidenced by either loss of tempo or rhythm as he shortens his stride a tad with that leg. To correct that, I make sure forward is still present, check myself to see if I am blocking him and then touch with the whip as his RH comes forward. Looks awkward for a few steps sometimes but as long as remain quiet and focused my correction seems to be effective and I can even get him to then lengthen his stride within si. Otoh, if that small correction doesn't work, I do several t-w-t within si to get more sitting power and to ensure he's using both hinds equally. This helps me to build power for mediums. :)

I finally got ds to take a little video with my phone. Unfortunately, I had to stop schooling, hop off, find my phone and call him...twice. Rudy was a little put off by then, (and probably a tiny bit tired) so not our best work, but not too bad either. What I like, though, is there is no bulging at the base of his neck any more. I think he really looks like a solid 2nd level horse now and I really like his collected trot. The canter was not so great because he kept sneaking behind my leg, but when he was honest to the leg, I think the collected canter looked quite nice as well. I always think I look awful, so bash away. :P

https://youtu.be/K7qr9iVa_qk

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:55 pm

great sue! looking good!

khall

Postby khall » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:43 pm

Well, I have been riding as much as I can both horses and bringing my old gal back into work (silly old mare got goofy on the lunge line yesterday and fell down on her left stifle that I just had IRAP done on!! I called her all kinds of names, then took her into the round pen to let off a bit of steam.)

Big guy is going well, RB to canter is just easy with him, all the lateral stuff is going well, RB is going well (that has been hard to get consistent with him) even riding one handed is going well. Very very happy with him. Really leaning towards piaffe in hand now, the trot-halt-RB-trot work in hand is so smooth and easy I think I just need another ground person to operate the whip and see what I get piaffe wise. Half steps under saddle are pretty good so no reason why he cannot do some in hand piaffe.

His sister Gaila is being such a good girl too. Riding is going well and even playing with a bit of bareback riding with her just for fun. In hand work is smooth, very happy with her. We are doing what we can with riding when we can as much as we can and trying not to fall out in the horrid heat here in middle GA. At least we are getting some rain now!

Mountaineer I agree with the others re medium canter and back, SF is great to help balance them, not letting them get on their front end, transition back before that happens, smaller circles to help. What helps me in the saddle is think outside leg back and knee down for half halt in the canter. Still sitting square but using my seat first then outside rein for collecting. If you watch some of the BN riders, check out what they do with their seat when they come back from extended canter. That has helped me.

Sue nice video only critique would be more energy in the collected trot, I liked the canter work (except for the oops) good energy there. They need power for collection.

Ponichiwa I'm sorry you are having to rehabbed, that sucks when they get injured. Hope all heals fast and well.

Chisamba, I do transitions and lateral work with a horse that does not want to pay attention along with lots of changes of direction. At least transitions within and between and changes of direction, if she is not up to lateral work yet. Keep them busy. I have never been one to just trot or just canter for any length of time without doing change of bend, transition, or lateral work. Mine are too busy minded to not! I did used to do them when I evented and I needed to fit a horse up but that has been years now. I ride different horses who need to keep their mind on their job so I have to direct them in some way. Good luck!! I know you will come out the other side with good exercises and advancement of your horses.

Big plus last weekend went horse shopping with my friend and we found the loveliest OTTB g! I want him so badly, he is perfect for her. Now jingle that he vets out!! He is so talented with the best brain, perfect for her.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:46 pm

Sue- Taking a tangent off what Khall said, I might see a teeny tiny tendency to have the diagonal pairs not in a pure rhythm, I think adding a touch more oomph to this same tempo would help it say more rhythmical.
But you ride better than I do, so take it all with a grain of salt!
Great work!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:07 am

Sue B,. I liked your canter work too,.

I think perhaps a little more focus on maintaining tempo / impulsion in the lateral work would improve the trot impulsion.

Overall you make a nice team.

Khall, your big guy definitely sounds ready for piaffe, trust yourself. Re horse shopping is this the one who was looking at the saddlebred that did not vet out?

Orono,. Boringly, for the rider , Acacia seems to be calmed by repetition. She becomes tense if I give her to many changes too quickly. She loves 20m circles. My other two are the opposite, their brains find something different to do if I not provide the variety.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:48 am

Chisamba yes same friend, ASB did not vet, this horse is even nicer big plus he has more exposure too. Has done lower CT and dressage shows. More expensive than ASB but still well within her budget. He rides very similarly to the big horse she has been riding last 3 yrs who is light to ride, forward but very sensible. So is the OTTB, with even bigger gaits and more talent and only 8 yrs. I absolutely love this horse. His owner is also great to work with, so excited for her. He has had some not so good training but I rode him and he has so much try with just the BEST BRAIN! I just hope he vets out.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:44 am

Chisamba wrote:Acacia seems to be calmed by repetition. She becomes tense if I give her to many changes too quickly. She loves 20m circles. My other two are the opposite, their brains find something different to do if I not provide the variety.

Sting seems to love repetition, and since I do too, we make a good pair.

So my plan for someday getting out to shows was based upon exposing him to show environments, rather than trying to ride him through his fears. I started on that project right away, as soon as I had him gelded, because I knew that he was going to need *a lot* of exposure if he was ever going to be able to get to some level of calm in a show environment. And he did get to calm in the "level one" show environment in which I started, but we had a long way to go if I'd wanted to be able to show at busier shows.

Sting also gets hot if I try to do too many things too close together, although that's improving as I've gotten better at rewarding the calmer, smoother efforts. Before I was rewarding energetic efforts so was getting more and more energy. But I wasn't convinced that what I was getting was calm energy, so stopped rewarding energetic and started rewarding smooth and quiet. I didn't think I would, but I actually like the way the smoother, quieter efforts look on video, so that was a good move.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:19 pm

Thanks for the well wishes for Kiwi! I'll pass them on to her. Maybe with sugar cubes.

piedmontfields wrote:Whoa--scary. What happened (if you want to share)?

That's the thing-- I'm not quite sure. I walked the pasture and didn't find anything either a) sharp, or b) bloody, so the current theory is that the neighboring cows pushed through a fence somewhere and Kiwi got too close to a horn. It's a 4-6" deep puncture right in the muscley part of the base of her neck-- pretty much in the only part of the neck you can have an injury like that and not damage important structures like arteries.

So. Current prognosis is 2 more days of stall rest, then 3 weeks of limited activity (hurray handwalking) and then back to work. Slowly. I'm just glad it wasn't worse.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:14 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:Thanks for the well wishes for Kiwi! I'll pass them on to her. Maybe with sugar cubes.

That's the thing-- I'm not quite sure. I walked the pasture and didn't find anything either a) sharp, or b) bloody, so the current theory is that the neighboring cows pushed through a fence somewhere and Kiwi got too close to a horn. It's a 4-6" deep puncture right in the muscley part of the base of her neck-- pretty much in the only part of the neck you can have an injury like that and not damage important structures like arteries.

So. Current prognosis is 2 more days of stall rest, then 3 weeks of limited activity (hurray handwalking) and then back to work. Slowly. I'm just glad it wasn't worse.

When you said neck puncture, I immediately wondered if you had horned cows , they might even have been scuffling over the fence. When I was young we had a horse with an incredibly scarey horn puncture that did sever an artery.

So glad yours did not. Jingles for good healing

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:18 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:Thanks for the well wishes for Kiwi! I'll pass them on to her. Maybe with sugar cubes.

It sounds like my Kuper's neck puncture wound was on a similar spot. Very near an artery but, as it was, turned out to be a minor blip in the scheme of things. They did find blood/the culprit though - it was part of gate latch mechanism that was turned up instead of the usual down.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (105.91 KiB) Viewed 23119 times

It's not as horrible as it first appears - the goop was something applied after the fact. The wound was very clean.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:53 pm

Thank you for the comments on my video khall, Ryeissa and Chisamba. I will continue to work on impulsion in that collected trot. I take it from your comments that my plan of maintaining tempo and impulsion in the lateral work and only then going for more angle, bend or whatever is the way to go with this guy. I can feel when he's really "through" because the area at the back of his ginormous withers expands--that's when I can pour on the juice.

One question...Is his collected canter sufficient for changes now?

So sorry about Ponichiwa :( , I hope she recovers quickly. Maybe you can incorporate your fitness program into her hand-walking program.

khall, jingling for the TB to work out for your friend. I absolutely love the TB mind.

Moutaineer, you are getting good advice on your med-coll canter and I am glad I could be of some help as well.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:23 pm

Sue I think so, but how are his W-C transitions? That is the bigger question. Can you transition W-C anywhere anytime, true lead or counter lead. If yes, then yes. That is where I am at with my big guy (his trot work is a bit farther along than his canter work,( big WB who unlike a good TB took a bit to develop the canter) I am really playing with the transitions, can I ask and get any lead anytime anywhere, even from RB. That has really helped me see where I needed to a) fix myself! I tend to come forward just a hair with my shoulders and I HAVE to stay back to ride him up in front of me. b) get him light off the canter aids and listening to my seat for lead/bend. That along with continuing CC work to build strength and again listening to my seat/aids to stay in counter lead.

Thanks for the jingles! I love a good TB and this one is a good one. The rider really requires a particular type of horse and he ticks all the boxes with the big plus of having some real talent and the exposure of having been shown. I rode him for just a bit and really did not want to get off, such a change from riding big moose WBs. So light to the aids, forward and yet with just a breath out he would transition to walk. Super nice horse.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:49 pm

Happy for you Khall!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:57 pm

SueB,. I sometimes start in a slow tempo, as in very slow but pure rhythm, a nd work on supple and degree of bend. I try to maintain tempo into and out of latera l work.

As with khall, I like to have very well established straight uphill canter walk canter transitions to develop changes.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:50 pm

I am still not getting as many rides in as I would like but what I have done has been good. We are still working on mostly conditioning and basics.
We have a small (I think it measures 0.2 mile) trotting track that I am trying to spend a couple days a week working over there. It is like the jungle for my dear arena flower complete with velociraptors and such (actually birds...little itty bitty birds darting out of the bushes and trees :shock: ). Still able to control the spooks but it expands her comfort zone a bit. Today, I was able to trot (posting) 4 laps each direction. Just a month ago I was panting after 1 and 1/2 :roll: .
She got wound up and tense in the trot (I suppose when one of the aforementioned velociraptors popped out of this one bush--the death bush :lol: ) so we didn't canter today but I was able to re-establish the relaxation and I did a bunch of lateral work in walk. SI, HI and my favorite volte to half-pass the width of the track, change bend and rinse repeat the other direction.

My last ride we got to test her focus also and overall it went quite well. A tree trimming company trims the trees out by the road that impinge on the power lines. They had 2 trucks and about 8 guys. They were done sawing but fired up the chipper/shredder and other guys were raking and tossing the branches into the truck...parked right at the end of the outdoor arena. For the most part she couldn't care less about the noise or all the activity. What bugged her the most? The guy flagging traffic. She never could figure out the extra appendage he had (the sign) and he kept moving spots. I even had him talk to her and she still thought he was an alien. Oh well, she was able to deal with it fairly well (other than adopting the ostrich posture every time we went toward that end of the arena) so I kept our work to the other end of the arena. She had some very steady work and her mediums are going very well. I used to literally have to wind her up to get them (ask, ask again, ask again..ok now?). Now, I can point and shoot. Now that they are there more consistently, we are working on refinement and balance...careful not to tip to the forehand and getting good downwards on the other end. We are starting conservatively where I can get 5-7 really good strides and will build as we get fitter. She is a pretty slightly built mare so balance and a regular tempo have been hard to achieve but we are getting there :D .

The saddle with the butt hole is on it's way so that will be my focus next week. This is just a demo so I hope it fits her close enough that I can tell. It is only a 17 ":| . I haven't ever ridden a saddle that small but then I have had to had ample seat size to keep the cantle from bashing my tailbone. I would rather take a chance with the demo and only pay shipping than be stuck with a saddle that doesn't work. Actually, I have been fairly comfortable in my riding (not doing any sitting trot though) so just as mysteriously as the pain and discomfort ramped up last fall, it has calmed down considerably...just in time for me to visit the pain doctor in a week and a half :P . Isn't that always the way?

Happy riding all.
Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:27 pm

Yay Susan and Kyra. I am so happy you can ride some now. I hope your demo saddle works out for you.

In regards to my query about flying changes, Rudy has very nice c-w-c 90% of the time and can do them anywhere in the arena, true or cc leads. The quality of the transitions is primarily dependent on the quality of the aides given--no tipping forward allowed. :P I quit doing much in cc once I established a quality cc because I don't want him to think changing leads is wrong. he used to pop changes all the time, now that his canter is better balanced he doesn't. I am terrible at training fc, so I plan on sending him to someone who can do it well. I'm thinking he is truly ready now.

Brydie
Herd Member

Postby Brydie » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:41 am

Love all the updates!!!

Day 7 down of my 13 days of work in a row! One week until I start Red back in full work. End of financial year sucks for riding (but good overtime so can't complain TOO much).

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:15 am

I"m a bit behind on this thread, but good updates to read (apart from Ponichiwa's Kiwi being injured - fingers crossed it heals up quickly).
Great vid Sue B !! Your horse is very pretty and you both look good together :) I know I had to get my horse more supple in the laterals before I could ask for more impulsion.
Brydie - 13 working days in a row. Yuck!

I've just been chipping away on my riding, working hard on my seat and keeping up the exercises for my horses to get them more supple and stronger behind, bending those joints. My little guy is developing his collected trot. I just worry that I have him a bit hollow at times, but I think it will improve as we go?

Feet out of stirrups - my niece had been riding and her legs are a lot longer than mine!
ridingjuly2s.jpg
ridingjuly2s.jpg (103.68 KiB) Viewed 23005 times

Collected trot, getting him bending his hinds more, and elevation in front but can tend to be hollow
ridingjuly3s.jpg
ridingjuly3s.jpg (106.24 KiB) Viewed 23005 times

demi

Postby demi » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:34 pm

[quote="Sue B"....
Demi, good plan for you and emma. You may be pleasantly surprised to find a better connection with Emma when your hands become consistently quiet and forward. I know that my own horse goes better when I focus on my own position...[/quote]

I'm happy to see this thread so active that I had to go back a full page to find Sue B's comment on Emma. And, yes, Sue B, I am pleasantly surprised at how nicely Em is going since I've been focusing on my own position. Thanks for the encouraging comment, as it really requires a lot of focus to ride correctly! and knowing that in the long run it will be for the best, helps my to stay in the mode. Your horse looks good, btw! I hope to see more vids of you in the future.

demi

Postby demi » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:02 pm

I only got in three rides last week but they were all good. I am feeling more secure in the saddle than I have in a long time and it's because of being so focused on riding correctly. Well, I have to add that it helps that Emma is a good fit for me. Actually, fitting her well is a huge factor at my age. It is hard enough to to maintain a good position without having to fight against stuff like horse built downhill, horse too wide, horse too big a mover, etc, etc.

This is what I think about constantly when I am riding now:

1.) seat bones equally weighted, and focused with the help of
2.) a breathing and stable core.
3.) legs long and quiet and breathing with Emma,
4.) thighs rolled in,
5.) seat: tuck, tuck tuck, as in NOT just hard tucked and left there, but tucking in a half-halt sorta way to keep Emma's hind legs active and coming under.
6.) rib cage lifted. And finally,
7.) Hands forward, and very, very quiet.

This stuff is so basic but I am finding that it takes a lot of concentration and energy, even at the walk. I am determined to stay with this. I wish I had some exciting progress to report but I can't even let myself think too far ahead for fear of losing focus. I will have to get my thrills reading about everyone else doing second level and showing and clinicians and, and, and...! So please keep the reports coming. The pics and vids are so nice!

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:30 pm

Ok, I've been a bit quiet on the Miro front because of lots of changes!

First and foremost, I moved barns. The barn that I was at was crazy town - mind you, I DO NOT need or want a sterile environment, but the shenanigans that went on were truly mind-blowing. It was also very far away from me, and further away from my work. So, I moved him to a barn that was much closer to me. In fact, I had been at that barn before, and would have moved there immediately, except that the property was in the process of being sold, and the fencing was abysmal at best. So, we moved last weekend - and already he is SO much more settled than he was at the other barn.

So, what are we working on? Right now, just him being settled in a new place - so, basics, basics, basics.
Right before I moved, I had an intensive with my coach. We are working on in hand work, walk/trot/walk with the occasional trot/halt thrown in, and under saddle, we're keeping the gaits smaller. He likes to go along in this big sweeping gait that while beautiful, doesn't do much for his overall development because he's not really working when he's doing that. We've also started in on some baby shoulder-ins, which are going very, very well.

I'm just over the moon at his attitude and overall development.
MiroCanter.jpg
MiroCanter.jpg (73.54 KiB) Viewed 22932 times

MiroSI.jpg
MiroSI.jpg (40.66 KiB) Viewed 22932 times

In terms of myself. Always more position tweaks. At this point, come hell or high water, I need to get my hands out in front of me and ride my horse up to the bridle. It's an aesthetic thing and a function thing. It feels much more tenuous, and as a rider, I feel more vulnerable, but the feel in Miro and the other horse's that I've ridden while practicing this is amazing. Am including this pic as a reference point for me. Is it right? Not yet. Are my hands a little high, yes. But he was light as a feather, is getting more elevation in the stride, and for the first time, I'm not tipping way forward at the top of the stride. I'm hoping that in the next few weeks, my hands come a bit lower, but I keep that forward feel in the arm.
MiroCanter2.jpg
MiroCanter2.jpg (44.57 KiB) Viewed 22932 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:42 pm

Dresser , From some one who has struggled with high hands and light young horse......it is common for high hands to create exactly what you wish to prevent, ie btv and compressed neck. Lightness achieved by compression is not lightness, it's evasion.

I love your young horse and your work, so please consider this an attempt to be helpful not critical.

Good luck at your new barn

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:48 pm

I read an article that I really hated,. Because it pretended to be informed about biomechanics but was essentially inaccurate in that area. However,. I looked for what might be valuable in there and found an aspect I liked,. The author stressed that spending the first part of a ride focusing on correct seat, and having less concern about what was in front of her ( head and neck) resulted in a more correct connection.

I have long agreed with this, but it is so much easier to address what your see,. That it bears repeating. So my goal this week is to focus more on what is not visible to the eye. ( Seat, back, hindquarters rhythm and tempo)

Meanwhile a pic from my most recent photo and video session,. Medium trot. Comments welcome.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1467726534158.jpg
FB_IMG_1467726534158.jpg (15.77 KiB) Viewed 22926 times

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:56 pm

Chisamba - I absolutely take your comment to heart! And yes, I agree with your re high hands and what that can cause. I try not to go high, except that I DO use upward hh - lift, drive and give, especially with Miro, who does like to compress the shape and duck a bit. I think that in fairly short order, the next series of pics I will take will show my hands in a more normal position - and hopefully, in other pics that I've posted, you can see that I don't live in high hand zone. But, I have to, have to get my hands out in front of me. You can see that even in that pic, I've dropped my wrists because I want to bring my elbows back behind my body so much. So, I figure I can err on the side of being a bit high for a little, or continue to be a bit backwards - and I don't want to be backwards.

I also love your comment about focusing on the feel and the seat/back/rhythm and hindquarters. That is something we can all try to pay more attention to!

Also, I love the pic you posted. You're doing really nice work with your guys and gals!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:25 pm

Dresseur, I also can get too elbow back,. Which defeats the purpose of back to front riding :)

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:04 pm

Chisamba wrote:Dresseur, I also can get too elbow back,. Which defeats the purpose of back to front riding :)

Exactly!!! And, a bit ago you had shared an article that talked about exaggerating in order to fix the habit. And this is what I'm doing. Exaggerating elbows forward in order to fix it.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:58 pm

Week 1 update of Kiwi stall rest: Kiwi needs a diet. She has become pretty portly. However, handwalking starts today (woo!) so that will help.

Dresseur wrote:
Chisamba wrote:Dresseur, I also can get too elbow back,. Which defeats the purpose of back to front riding :)

Exactly!!! And, a bit ago you had shared an article that talked about exaggerating in order to fix the habit. And this is what I'm doing. Exaggerating elbows forward in order to fix it.

I have the same positional tendencies that you do (plus some extra ones), which are especially exaggerated on the young horses because they're so wiggly and unstable. So I tend to tip forward with the upper body instead of giving my hands forward and staying stacked over my hips with my upper body.

What helps: thinking about bringing my hips closer to the front of the saddle rather than pushing my elbows forward. Elbows forward can still keep me tipped forward over my hips, and reframing the problem fixes my tipping issues. This also reminds me to use those lower core muscles that I otherwise pinch out of the equation, which fixes the hand-before-seat issues as well.

May help, may not. You guys look great!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:58 pm

Dresseur wrote:

I think you realize and own this "situation" and I can see that is totally different then a bad habit/problem. I think you have a lovely horse, and the work seems to be very good!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:59 pm

Glad to hear also of you move! I made a huge move last year and it took a bit to settle in, but I'm very glad I made that choice.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:03 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:06 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:Week 1 update of Kiwi stall rest: Kiwi needs a diet. She has become pretty portly. However, handwalking starts today (woo!) so that will help.

Dresseur wrote:

I have the same positional tendencies that you do (plus some extra ones), which are especially exaggerated on the young horses because they're so wiggly and unstable. So I tend to tip forward with the upper body instead of giving my hands forward and staying stacked over my hips with my upper body.

What helps: thinking about bringing my hips closer to the front of the saddle rather than pushing my elbows forward. Elbows forward can still keep me tipped forward over my hips, and reframing the problem fixes my tipping issues. This also reminds me to use those lower core muscles that I otherwise pinch out of the equation, which fixes the hand-before-seat issues as well.

May help, may not. You guys look great!

Ponichiwa, I hear you on the issues being exacerbated by being on a young horse. Tipping forward is exactly what I do, which then makes me bring my elbows back...or vice versa. It's kind of a chicken and egg thing. It's also much worse in the canter. I was also given the hips closer to the pommel advice, and for whatever reason, it hasn't quite resonated with me. However, when I literally push my elbows, and therefore hands, out in front of me - it solves the tipping thing. And, it makes me MUCH more aware of any behind the seat/legs issues because you have to ride the horse up to the bit - which is now being "pushed" forward instead of being brought back to the body of the rider. I'm excited because it's an instant fix for me and I finally seem to be making progress with this habit.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:39 pm

First of all Flight I love where your horses head and neck are!! I am jealous of that posture, my guy wants to curl and stay lower though it is changing with work! So happy you are feeling the positive out come of your seat adjustments. It is amazing to me with just a few tweaks how much better our horses go under us.

Sue B then it sounds like Rudy is more than ready for FCs, good luck with them!!

Dresseur, I agree with Chisamba re watch compressing your guy, those Iberians are so quick to do this even when they are not ready for that type of work. As a 3 yr old he is still just baby baby with much strengthening yet to do. Don't get in a rush.

Chisamba yep yep on focusing on what we do not see!! Seat especially, good reminder. I like the pic of medium, I do get the feel though of you holding a bit against Kimba rather than allowing her. Remember mediums the horse gets lower and longer in the frame to cover more ground.

Ponichiwa, my horses too are on a diet, usually 365 around here. Sigh. I hope Kiwi heals well.

Rye, how fun for Riot to have a go about! Good for them to cross train.

Demi, yes definitely the focus on seat. My horses have always gone better for me when I quit worrying about them and focused on myself.

My big guy is still going well, hot as hades here so keeping it light and simple usually. Nice fun ride even through the tears (went to Mark's memorial Sunday, still so sad and grieving) yesterday out in the field. Nice WTC, WCW, light lateral work and serpentines, just fun ride even with the neighbors goats frolicking and Rip having to keep an eye on them at first.

Great ride on the mare today, lateral work is solidifying much to her dismay! Tried a bit of renver, she gave it a go. Really light and maneuverable to ride today. Forward is still not her favorite but it is coming. Am going to let my friend take a spin on her later this week see how she does under someone else, may be interesting!

My older mare is coming along, funny old gal has lots of pep and is moving fabulously. Just light lunging with in hand work but looks ready to ride now, if I dare! I was very impressed at how much better after the IRAP she is going, with a bit of work she looks good enough to show. She is a much more naturally forward horse than her two offspring, She has the knowledge, now just to get back the muscling.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:14 am

Dresseur, I had to go through the high hands thing and it did help me. Coming from riding my horse down and round, and me doing it by pulling back, my instructor had my hands high and half halting upwards to get his neck back up. As you've said, it wont be long until you just drop them down a bit, but it seems to help correct any backward tendancies. Even now, if I feel I'm pulling back, I exaggerate my hands up and forwards, then settle them back down (not back).
Love your photos! I think you look fab.

Chisamba, looking good too. I do struggle with how much you allow in the medium paces. The medium is a longer stride but isn;t it also elevated and round? I know I can let too much out the front and mine can become a bit flat.

I'm finding it hard to figure out how to have the horse not too low in front, but getting more of that over the back feeling. As I've said before, I was taught to get it from riding quite lower and rounder in front, but I don't want to go there again!!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 am

Flight,. I try to ride there mediums rounder, yes. I am glad you could see what I was aiming for. It is too easy to alternate between down and round, and up and hollow,. Getting the carriage up from lowering haunches and rounding uphill is slightly easier in more connected with and laterals,. Especially shoulder in,. But harder in lengthening and mediums,. And most difficult in extended,. For me that is. I was actually happy with Kimba maintaining roundness in the more forward gait, we do not find longer and lower difficult.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:57 am

About forward:. My son is very consistent as a rider . His posture us very upright and steady, although his heels are usually slightly raised,. He keeps his hands very neutral and relaxed. At the age of two he would sit trot on my huge moving Cleveland Bay mare for ten to fifteen minutes and complain rigorously when it was time to stop. He fell off once and screamed and cried and it took me five minutes to realize he was mad because his ride had been interrupted. I popped him back on and he immediately was happy again.

He will exercises ride horses for me. Once Galop commented that he had better posture than I do, to which he replied, " of course, Mom taught me". Did I say how much I love him. Anyway, we have a few horses that are consistently lazy,. The ride with a whip kind. The interesting thing is that he rides with a whip but I have only seen him use it like a pretend Lance or sword, fighting off dragons. all three of the lazy horses just reach for the contact and develop fabulous forward when he rides them. I have really watched to see why. It's not only the steady contact because one if these horses is usually ridden on a loose rein,. Not only consistently , because if there are horses in the ring he tends to weave in and out of traffic like a motorcyclist.

Yesterday when he was riding he has a friend toss him a bottle of water. He put the reins in one hand, drank, and then tossed me the bottle as he went past. What was remarkable about this is he never changed tempo, contact or rhythm. Of his posting trot while doing so.

Maybe it's his rhythm,. Maybe he is particularly talented with maintaining rhythm so the horses naturally match him.

One of the guys my DS rides will slow down,. Back up, kick at the leg, buck at the whip and offer many resistances to forward. When DS rides him, not one of these resistance show. The owner of said horse came in while DS was riding him and did not recognize her own horse because he was forward, ears relaxed and just flowing around the ring.

I am not certain what the talent is,. I have observed it often,. Perhaps it's in part that he gives the horse time to respond. If the horse lifts his head and loses contact, DS will post a few strides,. If the horse continues to look around, DS will mildly take a rein to bring the horse back to him,.

Once I noticed him do two really shallow serpentines on the long side , rail to second track and back to rail . I asked why and he said Faramir was bored so he wanted to give him something to play around with on the long side so he did something different.

Maybe hus playfulness and joy rub off in the horse . Anyway,. If there is a talent to forward into contact he has it, and I wish I could bottle it and sell it :D

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:35 pm

Update on Deneb, now that she is working more consistently, we are working on balance, and changes of length of stride and balance withing the gait, some times this is less successful and results in her curling and getting downhill rather than slowing and balancing, Deneb is and has always been an easy five gaited horse, she can rack and pace, so, changing rhythm is something she easily does, if she does not approve of my request. I am trying to get her more comfortable with changes without losing rhythm, so if any one has a handy dandy suggestion, I am all ears.

Kimba used to pace, as her mother is a pacer, and i have been able to develop her true trot and canter, but I am a little behind the training curve on Deneb.

anyway here are a few pictures that my DS took for me, of her working yesterday. Sitting trot, perhaps again, a little too low in the hands, but on the positive, nice foam on the lips and good diagonal parity. I also like that she is not curling behind the bit, perhaps she could be a little rounder but for the moment i think this is progress

canter,

in attempt to not lift my hands too high, i might be exaggerating them to low, but i feel that she is reaching forward to the contact and in true canter rhythm .

trot:

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:36 am

Just chugging along here, working on the 2.3 stuff.

Working quite a bit on the transitions within the canter. Seeing some improvement in medium/collected transition with repetition--apart from the collection exercises we've put into place, I think he's just getting bored with running away with me :)

The medium trot is much improved. He's gaining the strength to be able to sit and carry more, an so am I...

Travers comes pretty naturally to him--just have to make sure we've got enough bend.

One of this weekend's little challenges is the turn on the haunches. In one direction it's quite nice, in the other he wants to power forwards out of it. I'm sure it's my fault, I think I am trying too hard.

We are still tinkering with bitting issues. The Neue Schule Verbindend is not proving to be a great success, unfortunately. I think it's a bit thick for him and just too much metal in his mouth, and he's quite adept at just grabbing it and doing his own thing. So he's back in the KK Ultra 14mm Sensogan. I have a barrel-mouth Myler to try on him tomorrow. He has a thick tongue and a low palate, so I'm thinking something with an even less nutcracker-like action might do the trick. I'd like to find a 14mm mullen mouth loose ring and give that a try. This gets to be an expensive undertaking, however!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:09 am

Mountaineer, I've often wished there was a bit library, whether you could try a number of likely bits for a couple of weeks before buying.

It could work if everyone was conscientious about disinfecting and returning.

Return to “Dressage Training”