Best way to hold double reins?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Best way to hold double reins?

Postby Flight » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:32 am

I was originally taught to cross them over and have the snaffle rein running between pinky and ring finger, and the curb between ring and middle. This feels more comfortable for me.
I've noticed some riders have them not crossed and their pinky separating the two reins etc.
Thoughts?

tlkidding
Herd Member

Re: Best way to hold double reins?

Postby tlkidding » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:49 pm

It totally depends on the horse, the rider, and how you are taught. There are a number of "accepted" ways to hold the double reins.

I find that for me, 3 in 1 is most comfortable but I lose a bit of lateral suppleness sometimes.

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:43 pm

Do you change which hand has the 3 reins, so the inside hand always has just 1 rein? Or it doesn't matter?

I think I just have to choose a way and stick with it until I get completely comfortable with the extra rein!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:42 pm

I cross the reins, curb under ring finger, snaffle under baby finger. I personally do not like the three one, if i am starting a horse in the double, i put the curb rein under my baby finger and the snaffle rein under my thumb like a driving rein.

galopp
Herd Member

Postby galopp » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:18 pm

For me, ideally starting 3:1 (allows for the most stability of the curb) with the 3 hand held over the withers, and it allows the most (specific lateral flexibility--which is the job of the snaffle), or 2:2 (shultheis/fillis style) as Chisamba states (with curb under pinkie and snaffle over points). There are many other of different 2:2, and also 4:1 (which is very stable). Certainly the rein hold of winning riders with the curb on the outside of the 2:2 rather than the snaffle was NEVER previously accepted because it would make it the first to act (which is improper), and never with a steady torque. As far as 3:1, it was generally 3 in the left hand (at the srs), but imho it can be changed.

Some drawings of the various ones (I can't post them....if anyone wants to I can mail them to you to post).

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:47 am

galopp wrote: Certainly the rein hold of winning riders with the curb on the outside of the 2:2 rather than the snaffle was NEVER previously accepted because it would make it the first to act (which is improper), and never with a steady torque.

Do you mean not crossing them over?

My horse doesn't need much curb contact, so I'm just getting comfortable in not letting the reins slide out so they become the same length, if that makes sense.

Gallop, do you mean you can email the diagrams of how to hold the reins? I can PM you my email address, as I would be interested in seeing them.

galopp
Herd Member

Postby galopp » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:39 pm

(do so, I will send them)

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:44 pm

Flight wrote:Do you change which hand has the 3 reins, so the inside hand always has just 1 rein? Or it doesn't matter?

I think I just have to choose a way and stick with it until I get completely comfortable with the extra rein!

My hands get really sore holding 4 reins, especially the knuckles on my right hand, so I hold three in my left hand and just one in my right. I'll split the reins back to 2-2, with the snaffle between third and pinkie and curb between pointer and second or second and third when I feel like I'm having issues with suppleness or I can't get the neck totally straight.

I bought 2 sets of curb reins, with one set the skinniest I could find - I have issues with the edges of the reins pressing into my knuckles on my tiny hands, which is what hurts and why I use 3-1.

Return to “Dressage Training”