Best Canter *EVER* :-D

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Best Canter *EVER* :-D

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:56 pm

I know that you all will appreciate my excitement.

Last night riding in the fields for what was supposed to be just a stretchy, loosen up and go home ride, Miss Emi was rather full of it. So to work we go, being very specific about our lines of travel and me being absolutely attentive to thoroughness and completeness of bend in various exercises. One simple exercise was spiral in and out at trot. She was a bit fussy with my expectation level, but I was not letting her fake bend or skip using her right hind. Eventually we had some lovely trot spirals, so on the leg yield out I asked for right canter.

Huge BUCK, I held my position and kept the bend et voila---the most uphill and engaged canter I have ever felt on this mare. I powered up to a medium--no problem. I dialed back to collected--no problem. She was snorting and I was praising her to the heavens. I felt like I had a new horse! I played a little bit with the same tactics on the other lead (which is usually the stronger canter) and got good results and quit.

Clearly, *I've* been holding her back by not maintaining my standards at all times. Such a simple thing and yet hard to do!

For those in the US, happy thanksgiving!

Anne
Herd Member

Re: Best Canter *EVER* :-D

Postby Anne » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:51 am

Wheeeee! Sounds fabulous, well done. I completely understand, having had a similar ride earlier this week on my partner's horse : out on our driveway, footing not super good so I didn't ask for too much, but got such a powerful, uphill, light canter, I was beaming!

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Best Canter *EVER* :-D

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:45 pm

Update: I have not quite repeated the "shock" of quality in the right canter, but we have gotten the quality again--and without any bucking entry :-D I believe it really is a thoroughness issue with us. Very pleased with the little mare. And love that she is giving this effort out in the fields, with uneven footing, not in the arena where I dare say it should be easier! (because I cannot handle the dust now, in addition to the poor air quality due to forest fires)

Return to “Dressage Training”