Long overdue update - and a training question LOL

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
ASBJumper
Greenie

Long overdue update - and a training question LOL

Postby ASBJumper » Tue May 16, 2017 7:29 pm

Hi all!

Some of you may remember me from the "old" board. I am a lifelong member of the "Saddlebred" fan club, and as a small side-hobby thing, I breed Saddlebred/Warmblood crosses (registered as Canadian Sport Horses - no unpapered, backyard crosses here, folks). Have been dabbling in Dressage since I started breeding as I start my own youngsters and I believe starting them in Dressage gives them a correct foundation and enables them to then go on to do pretty much anything.

Some may also recall that shortly before the UDBB went kaput, I had bred and was trying to sell my 2011 bay Oldenburg/ASB filly. She got sold as a long yearling but stayed in the family (my aunt is into horses but was a very rusty-re-rider with no formal lesson background, had only ridden in camps and in backyards bareback as a kid and teen). This enabled me to continue being involved, as the condition of the sale was that I provide free training when she turned 3. Win-win!

Anyways, this is Dora all grown up, now almost 6. Video was taken a few weeks ago. I haven't been able to lesson at all this past winter/spring, so bad habits started to creep in. Was able to get a couple of lessons on her last month, and it helped a lot with little things - more forward, more consistent contact (for example, i tend to drop the reins when I ask for canter, my bad). So, not really looking for a critique as I have a great upper-level coach helping me (when i can afford it), but comments, questions and pm's are always welcome. I am stepping back as of June 1st because my aunt has found a lovely half-leaser to ride her and help with expenses. I've done my job, and I'd like to think I haven't totally messed the mare up, LOL. My aunt feels 100% comfortable riding her, inside and outside, and hacking her alone. She loves her to pieces, and while I occasionally wish she was a in a show home with a talented rider so I could say "hey, I bred that!", in reality I am incredibly grateful that she is loved and extremely well cared for. :D
Anyways, my training question is: at the end of the video, you'll see that just for fun, I asked for a change in the corner and got it - but I believe this is not a "clean" change per Dressage standards, am I right? It looks like she changes in front first... correct?

https://youtu.be/lPqZjn7660o

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Long overdue update - and a training question LOL

Postby khall » Tue May 16, 2017 7:35 pm

Yes she was late behind.

ASBJumper
Greenie

Postby ASBJumper » Tue May 16, 2017 7:45 pm

Yeah, I suspected as much. It didn't feel late or strung out riding it, but when I watched the video I was pretty sure that is what is usually referred to as a "Hunter swap", not a true flying change. I am glad I haven't really been attempting to do these (she's offered them once or twice, that's it), as she's clearly not solid enough at the canter to be doing changes.
Looking forward to seeing her progress with the half-leaser, who is going to take lessons with a very well-respected new German coach in our area! :-D

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed May 17, 2017 4:54 pm

Welcome back ASB. :D Beautiful mare who looks quite sensible. It is so nice that you found a good, safe home for her and that your aunt found a horse she can enjoy playing with.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu May 18, 2017 12:26 am

Nice horse! Only a little bit late behind :)

Return to “Dressage Training”