Soloshot info

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Soloshot info

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:26 pm

FYI, for those interested in acquiring one, the shorter range one (which is good for arena filming) is marked down $200 while supplies last.

I have still not used my Soloshot enough IMO, but that is mainly due to constant rain (I'm not willing to set it up when it is about to storm!) and my own schedule (weekends are when I have more time to fuss with set up...and it has been stormy). But I do think this sort of thing is a useful training tool. Hopefully we'll get a good stretch of weather soon.

Hayburner

Re: Soloshot info

Postby Hayburner » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:55 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I've been thinking about getting one - but, blew them off when all I saw was problems with delivery.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:53 pm

I just placed my order!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:15 pm

Wow, Demi! Very exciting. I hope you love it.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:18 pm

$399 is a great price!

I've been very happy with my SS except that it seems to be allergic to my instructor so I never manage to get my lessons recorded.
Keep calm and canter on.

Fzybtfrm
Greenie

Postby Fzybtfrm » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:44 pm

I have the first version and it did take a while to get it, but it works great. Setting it up takes several steps, but it is a great tool. My biggest issue is in set-up, if I forget a step I end up with no recording . But I'm retarded that way! I tend to turn it on for certain exercizes to see how we're doing, I don't want to watch 15 minutes of warm-up. Then I turn it off. Since 98% of the time I ride alone ( except for lessons) its a wonderful aide.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:35 pm

Fzybtfrm wrote:I have the first version and it did take a while to get it, but it works great. Setting it up takes several steps, but it is a great tool. My biggest issue is in set-up, if I forget a step I end up with no recording . But I'm retarded that way! I tend to turn it on for certain exercizes to see how we're doing, I don't want to watch 15 minutes of warm-up. Then I turn it off. Since 98% of the time I ride alone ( except for lessons) its a wonderful aide.

I don't have a soloshot, but I do turn my recording system on before I get on and then save the video to the camera, or to an external hard drive. Then when I'm finished riding I take the recording inside and plug it into my desktop for editing. And because I video almost every ride, the first thing I do is edit out all the walk work at the beginning and end because I don't need to watch that over and over again, and then I edit out everything I don't want to keep while I'm watching the rest of it.

I find it much easier to edit on a desktop than on the camera, or with a laptop.

And yes, if I forget to turn something on I end up with no recording, which is why I set it all up before I even get my horse up, and then before I mount all I need to do is push one button, because setting up with help from a nosy horse is very hard on the equipment.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:39 pm

I use my soloshot all the time. Bit frustrated with the latest update, but it's still watchable.

demi

Postby demi » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:53 pm

Mine is here but UPS failed to deliver :( I made sure they had our gate code, I was home between the hours of scheduled delivery and I still got an email saying “sorry we missed you”. I called UPS and should hopefully get it on Monday!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:14 pm

I looked at their website and from what I could tell - both the short distance and the longer are for outdoor use only.

I am only riding indoors and with winter a few months away I doubt I will be using the outdoor.

Is there one for indoor use? Or can it be used in an indoor arena?

I've been wanting one and would be very happy with the shorter distance one and the price is right!

Thanks

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:22 pm

Hayburner, they don't yet have a model for indoor use. It is satellite-dependent (and it struggles with very heavy cloud cover). I ?think? Pixio might be an option for indoor use.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:16 pm

It won't track indoors, but can record in manual mode. Pixio works indoors but has beacons that have to be placed around the arena, and requires a separate camcorder. I have a Pixio compatible Sony available for cheap.
Keep calm and canter on.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:08 pm

Straightforward, how does the manual mode work? Just like a camera on a tripod? So you only get bits and pieces of your ride?

I have a Sony camcorder that I haven't used in yeasts, would that work the same?

demi

Postby demi » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:23 pm

Mine SS3 25 just arrrived. I need to run out to Best Buy to get a micro SD card and maybe a HDMI cable. Tonight I will start learning to use it. I’m excited. I was disappointed at first because just when it went on sale, Rocky tore a suspensory and all I can do is 20 minutes walk 2 X a day. And it’s still blazing hot here in TX so I can only ride in the morning which limits the riding to once a day. However, we’ve had 4 walk rides so far and today I realized there are a lot of things to “see” even at the walk. Yeah, I’m excited!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:03 am

Hayburner wrote:Straightforward, how does the manual mode work? Just like a camera on a tripod? So you only get bits and pieces of your ride?

I have a Sony camcorder that I haven't used in yeasts, would that work the same?

Yes, there are controls on the touch screen so it could be operated by a camera man, but otherwise it just sits there and films.

Not sure if you're asking if your Sony would work with Pixio? If so, you'd need to check their list of compatible cameras on their website.

Given my SS's track record of not working when I have a lesson, I got it set up early today, got it tracking and then 10 minutes before my lesson - it started to rain. I had to sprint out, grab the camera and haul it back into the barn. Lesson in the indoor, and the rain cleared 10 minutes before we were done. :roll: I would have filmed on manual mode if I'd had time to set it back up in the indoor.
Keep calm and canter on.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:03 am

StraightForward wrote: I would have filmed on manual mode if I'd had time to set it back up in the indoor.

By "manual mode" do you mean that the camera would be stationary rather than following you around? Would it still zoom in and out?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:07 pm

kande50 wrote:
StraightForward wrote: I would have filmed on manual mode if I'd had time to set it back up in the indoor.

By "manual mode" do you mean that the camera would be stationary rather than following you around? Would it still zoom in and out?

It has controls for that, but you would need a camera person there. It can't track the tag indoors because it uses GPS.
Keep calm and canter on.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:20 pm

I'm sorry it can't track indoors - that would really be a great tool for me. I really don't have someone available to take video's for a lot of my rides.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:28 am

Very happy with my SS3 25! So far it has worked without any big problems. I just videoed myself walking around the arena tonight but will try it for my next ride on Thursday morning. The video quality and tracking was really good. And it zoomed in beyond my expectations.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:56 pm

The SS3 is working great! I recorded my ride this morning and even tho it was just walking, reviewing the ride was very helpful. I watched it immediately afterwards and as I was watching, I could remember a lot of what I was feeling so that was very helpful. One interesting thing was that I would see something while watching the vid, and think I should fix that, and a fraction of a second later I would fix it in the vid. This is going to be a great tool.

I still have to get better at handling the data. Having a Windows 10 computer and an iPad complicates things. Too many choices :lol: It is very time consuming trying to figure all of this out. The iPad editing is easier but Windows seems more powerful...

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:08 pm

demi wrote:Having a Windows 10 computer and an iPad complicates things. Too many choices :lol: It is very time consuming trying to figure all of this out. The iPad editing is easier but Windows seems more powerful...

When I switched to Windows 10 and Movie Maker (I think) it took me forever to figure out how to use it, which may have been at least partly because it was so different from the ones I already knew how to use?

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:03 pm

Glad your SS3 is behaving Demi! yes once you figure it out it's pretty quick to use.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:23 pm

We have huge doors on our indoor. Would it work if I put the unit just outside the doors. I'd guess it would not record/catch me near the Wall closest to the door, but wouldn't get any of the indoor riding?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:46 pm

Hayburner wrote:We have huge doors on our indoor. Would it work if I put the unit just outside the doors. I'd guess it would not record/catch me near the Wall closest to the door, but wouldn't get any of the indoor riding?

I've heard of people having success in tracking in covered arenas without walls, but not an indoor. There is a GPS chip in the tag that you wear; that is how it follows you
Keep calm and canter on.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:22 pm

Hayburner, I really like mine and havent had any problems with it. At that price it might be worth getting it for the future. Maybe by spring or summer your mare will be able to go in the outdoor. I don’t know how many units Soloshot has but they are only selling while supply lasts.

The Pixio does outdoors, but is a lot more expensive and sounds like a lot of work to set it up. I have read though, that the video quality of Pixio is super, and it zooms in better.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:02 am

Pixio works with a variety of cameras, so your zoom and video quality would depend on the camcorder you use with it.
Keep calm and canter on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:58 am

Hmm, pixie is coming out with a robot that uses a smartphone for the camera. 579 euro is too much for me since I have the soloshot, but could be a good option!

https://shop.movensee.com/en/#shop
Keep calm and canter on.

scwdressage
Greenie

Postby scwdressage » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:55 pm

Hi There. Did anyone else have a problem getting the SD card to mount? My camera will format the card, then start the updating process, then I get SD Card unable to be mounted Error Code 1405. I am BEYOND frustrated at this point because of course they are way to busy at Soloshot tech support to call or email me to help me with this. I found a thread on Reddit where someone else got this error code, but they didn't post a resolve to the issue.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:41 am

I do still get this occasionally. Are you on the facebook page 'soloshot equestrians'? Search for SD cards on that page.

I hit retry and usually by 5th try or so it will behave. If not, I take the card out and back in a couple of times, if not I've pulled it all apart (camera off the base, SD card out) and do an update, putting it together as it asks for it.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:37 am

For those who have used soloshot2, how have you found the zoom capability? There is one going cheap here, and I'm a bit tempted...

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:44 am

It will only zoom if it has a camera controller with it.

demi

Postby demi » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:54 am

I don’t know about the SS2, Anne, but I love my SS3 25. So far, anyway. I was tempted for a long long time, so when they went on sale I finally bought one. It is a very helpful tool for me.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:35 am

Ah, good info Flight, thank you. Demi, glad your enjoying the ss3, guess that will be a better way for me to go eventually.

Return to “Dressage Training”