Northern California - Schoolmasters

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Northern California - Schoolmasters

Postby Hot4Spots » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:07 pm

Okay, so after the visit to Davis and their verdict, my beautiful guy is going to have to go into semi-retirement and try to learn to be a trail horse (so far, he disagrees). But despite the fact that I'm a "Little Old Lady," I'd like to continue to progress, even if only in teeny-teeny steps. We were showing 2nd, schooling 3rd when he was hurt, so while I'm a little rusty, I don't want to just walk/trot/canter around the ring on a TL horse. I can ride my friend's 26 year old Oldenburg if I want to do that (It's not good for him to canter any more, however; he could do a mean 3rd level walk/trot test though - he does all the lateral work ;) )

Can anyone recommend a stable/trainer with school horses where I could, as they say, keep my hand (butt?) in (the saddle) and keep learning?

I've seen an ad for Seven Oaks in Portola Valley. Does anyone know anything about them? That's a bit of a drive for me (I'm in Concord), but I could do it if I had to. Someone in Contra Costa or Alameda County would be better, though.

Thanks for any assistance you can render.

Ryeissa
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Northern California - Schoolmasters

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:41 pm

I'm way not close to you, but good luck! :)

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:28 pm

I go to shows at Seven Oaks. I have not taken lessons with them, but at shows they're very friendly and nice. At least one of the trainers there trained with my trainer back in the day, and she is super classical, so there's that... I'd take a lesson with them, if I was closer!

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:13 pm

Well, Seven Oaks may work - but it's a long drive for me, and their availability on weekend is minimal. The other choice is just as far in another direction, and I know from others' experience in the past, that while I may get good lessons there, I will also be pressured to buy a $$$$$ horse from them (which is NOT a possibility). So......I am going this coming Sunday for a local....jumping lesson. Haven't jumped in 20+ years. Evented through Preliminary Level and did jumpers to 3'9-4', but not in a loooooong time. Hope it's like riding a bicycle and comes back quickly. LOL

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:17 pm

Oh cool! Where are you jumping? I wish I could find someone to sell me a nice jumper (without it being both arms and legs...)

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:21 pm

North Peak in Walnut Creek (formerly Castle Rock/Leap of Faith, etc.) That place changes names so often it's hard to keep track! The lesson program is run by a gal name Deb Henry.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:02 pm

Ah very cool. My horse is now lame so I'm looking for a place for lessons too! I'm going to try Branscomb Farm in Half Moon Bay...

Return to “Dressage Training”