Improving the Canter Seat

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
lorilu
Herd Member

Re: Improving the Canter Seat

Postby lorilu » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:31 pm

demi wrote:
khall wrote:....

demi to me in this pic the up beat is on the downswing, moving from first footfall to second diagonal pair. It is as the horse engages the outside hind in the air as the horse begins the upswing in the canter stride, as the outside hind grounds (which is the collecting leg) the horse is elevated in the front but as it moves to the diagonal pair the horse loses that uphill motion in the canter stride...

I don’t get it. I may never be able to do tempi changes.....

demi, when the horse moves from the "up" of outside hind pushing (part 1 of the canter stride in classical descriptions) to part 2 when the diagonal pair is grounded, your seat will start to move forward in the saddle. Part 3, when the leading leg lands, is the end of that slide forward and the start of the "up" part (after the moment of suspension). I have been taught to ask when I first feel that forward slide of my seat.

demi
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Improving the Canter Seat

Postby demi » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:41 am

lorilu wrote:
demi wrote:
khall wrote:....

demi to me in this pic the up beat is on the downswing, moving from first footfall to second diagonal pair. It is as the horse engages the outside hind in the air as the horse begins the upswing in the canter stride, as the outside hind grounds (which is the collecting leg) the horse is elevated in the front but as it moves to the diagonal pair the horse loses that uphill motion in the canter stride...

I don’t get it. I may never be able to do tempi changes.....

demi, when the horse moves from the "up" of outside hind pushing (part 1 of the canter stride in classical descriptions) to part 2 when the diagonal pair is grounded, your seat will start to move forward in the saddle. Part 3, when the leading leg lands, is the end of that slide forward and the start of the "up" part (after the moment of suspension). I have been taught to ask when I first feel that forward slide of my seat.

Thank you! I can understand that description.

Return to “Dressage Training”