Don't call it fall: September/October Autumn Goals

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Ryeissa
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Don't call it fall: September/October Autumn Goals

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:18 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:37 am

Rye, I think I may be looking at new saddles this winter also... Laddie has changed shape so much, I suspect my saddle fitter is going to tell me it's time.

Farrier visit today. We tweaked things up a bit. 'm looking forward to riding tomorrow to see if it's actually changed anything. He's been pulling his breakover back gradually over the past few visits and today he put what he called a "half round" shoe on, which has a half round rather than flat cross section, so it pulls the breakover back even more. It's more a matter of how can we make "good" better, than any major issue, but it will be interesting to see the difference.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:12 am

That's great news with the saddle Rye! Riding is hard enough without having to fight your saddle. BTDT, bought the T-shirt.

Let us know whether you can feel a different Mountaineer!

Bliss and I are keeping on keeping on. Here's some video from last weekend... Some good and some not so good. He was not as forward as I would like here, but I was pleased to see he's steadier in the connection again and also looks more supple. That's consistent with what I've been feeling so good to see. Let me know what you all think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMPxsaU2QyY

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:44 am

Nice Rosie, thank you for sharing. Really lovely square halt there at the end. Toward the beginning in the canter, I was thinking that my instructor would be saying to jump the hind legs up and under. He is looking supple and relaxed.

I've also had a good turn on the saddle front. I'd put my Black Country ViniciX up for sale after trying to use it on Annabelle a few times. On a hunch, I gave it another try a couple weeks ago, and I'll be darned if she hadn't filled out so much that it was perfect pretty much everywhere but just behind the shoulders. So I took her by the saddler on our way over to the show grounds tonight, and she agreed with me that the fit was very workable. Added some flocking up front, and we are good to go. So happy since I absolutely love riding in that saddle and it was paining me to sell it. So umm, I have two other 18" Black Country saddles for sale in case anyone is looking. ;)

Annabelle was quite the nutter when I got her over to the show grounds. I walked her around for awhile, and she seemed to be settling, so I tacked her up, walked around the outdoor arena, and I was about to get on when she spooked and reared straight in the air. Luckily found a lunge line laying around, since the one I had in the trailer was broken. Spent probably half an hour on the lunge line until she stopped exploding at random moments. She is incredibly acrobatic when she wants to be. Finally climbed on and got W/T/C both ways without much trouble, then I decided to take the opportunity to ride around in the show arena. Some people were cleaning out the judge's booth, which was perfect, so she got acclimated to that. Even though I could tell she was tired, she was still tight and spooky though. Tomorrow ought to be interesting. I'm prepared to scratch if need be, but hopefully she'll be settled by morning. Lunging won't be an option tomorrow since the roundpen is still a lake from the rain we got this weekend. Showing; what and adventure.
Keep calm and canter on.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:38 am

Thanks SF! Good luck today!!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:44 pm

Rosie B wrote:Thanks SF! Good luck today!!

Thanks, we ended up having a good day. Luckily I got there early enough to lunge before anyone else was riding. Poor Annabelle was still wide-eyed and jumpy. She settled in and we had a pretty smooth T-3 test for 63.84. By T-1 it was getting windy and the horses were getting jumpy. I made sure she saw the judge's booth with both eyes before we went in since the horse before me bolted when he was asked to canter at C (rider was fine and gamely circled and got it on the second try). For that one I sat the trot and tried for more impulsion, though I think she was getting tired at that point. Overall smooth test and we won with a 65.43. Comments were - need more bend, more impulsion and more stretch in the free walk and stretch trot - all of which I think we'll get once she relaxes enough to let my aids go through better. Quite proud of my girl after starting out the show season on a 38! :D

Also, I just got this new comb, and I had pretty passable braids done in 15 minutes: https://www.corkfarmequestrian.co.uk/pr ... 5282866212
Attachments
AnnabelleBlue (2) (640x564).jpg
AnnabelleBlue (2) (640x564).jpg (235.59 KiB) Viewed 20242 times
Last edited by StraightForward on Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:38 pm

Ugh. Icy cold wind, stiff, distracted horse... I finally got him settled and in front of my leg, but, I haven't had a ride like that in ages.

To cap it all off, walking back out to his paddock he spooked and landed with his newly shod foot on my foot and ankle. Friggin ouch. Going to be a couple of days before I can get a boot back on...

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:08 pm

ouch :( bummer Moutineer. that sucks.

Congrats SF on your great show....sounds like it all went to plan and you have a good approach.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:34 pm

The weather has finally turned and summer is gone. Yesterday Ariel trotted away from me in the pasture and girlfriend did a lovely lengthening. Under saddle we worked on lengthening on the long side and shortening on the short side. She is really starting to use her hind end for longer periods.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:50 pm

Its snowing.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:03 pm

Oh Wow! Rye you guys went from summer, by passed fall straight into winter!! Dang, not fair.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:21 pm

Snowed here last week, and woke up again to a white world today.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:23 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:18 pm

Thank you for reminding me why I live in the south, Ryeissa (I'm from snowy lands and left for a good reason!).

I'm just back from a longish trip to Europe. A student keeps Emi ridden while I am gone. Upon return, I had my usual brief discussion with Em: You will be this forward off just the leg and you will be this straight! Then she sights, snorts and gets to work. She feels fit and the weather is not yet cold here, so it is very pleasant to do a good work out and just be slightly sweaty.

However she is growing the biggest winter coat *ever* for her! If she continues, she will get clipped in November.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:36 pm

Finally had an actual jumping lesson. LOL Same horse I had that strenuous flat class on. Mostly just little "x"s, and while I didn't get left I was a bit wonky over the first few and had to grab mane until I began to get my eye back. Eventually we did some little courses, also all "x"s, but the big horse I was on treats anything less than 2'6" as if it IS 2'6", so we had some air time. I surprised myself by being pretty much able to jump "out of hand" after the first couple of little jumps. Body sort of saying, "Oh, I remember how to do this!" Rode my guy first and he was very mellow. Maybe all this walking has just bored him into a sort of ennui and he can't be bothered to spook. (Yeah, right.....that's gonna happen.)
Last edited by Hot4Spots on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:20 pm

I’m behind in my updating!

I had a short show season this year with a late start to it. I had to get Jet back into condition to manage Third Level tests, particularly in the hot summer heat (he doesn’t do heat well). I was hoping to get my Dressage Canada Third Level Silver medal, but wasn’t sure it was attainable (it requires four scores of 62% or higher under three different judges.

I was wrong! We got our qualifying scores after four shows!! I could have had it after three, but *I* screwed up in Third-2 at our third show with not one but TWO off-course errors!!! We ended up with a 61% which would have been 65% if I hadn’t botched it up so badly (I’ve NEVER had two off-course errors ... ever!! ... before that show at least!). As usual, his changes need more work and probably always will given that he’s a carriage-bred horse. Nevertheless, I was thrilled with him. We even debuted a freestyle - my first ever - and did fairly well (I choreographed it myself and edited the music myself).

Anyway, here is his big, loveable mug at our last show last month, very proud of himself as he should be!
859CDF0C-0301-430A-9560-0BDB7C54D980.jpeg
Jet.
859CDF0C-0301-430A-9560-0BDB7C54D980.jpeg (61.81 KiB) Viewed 20143 times

Meanwhile, I’ve had Finn (4 yr old Hano/Shire) home for the past month after his training this summer. He’s been a joy to ride AND to drive. Yesterday I popped on him after a brief lunge session and did about 15 min of walk & trot including figure-8s over a pole at trot (new for him) and lots of changes of bend. He handled it beautifully, and all the while there was a HUGE & NOISY tractor & fertilizer rig right across the road from where my sand ring is. He was interested in it, but zero monkey business. Here he is after that ride (he just stood there while the tractor ROARED behind him ... actually, it was hard to get the photo because he kept walking towards me wanting snuggles!).
6A9FA3D8-A94D-4687-A9A1-A5D47331B030.jpeg
Finn after yesterday’s ride.
6A9FA3D8-A94D-4687-A9A1-A5D47331B030.jpeg (103.97 KiB) Viewed 20143 times

I thought you guys would like seeing a collage I did today showing Finn at age 4 mo next to his full sister, Eowyn, who is now 4 mo old (she’s the dark one). They are very similar, and I’m loving the personality that Eowyn is showing as she grows up.
9F66C5C1-4418-4971-B819-3A6F336C71CE.jpeg
Collage
9F66C5C1-4418-4971-B819-3A6F336C71CE.jpeg (202.6 KiB) Viewed 20143 times

I’ll do another post to show what else I’ve been up to lately!
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:43 am

Well...I was going to ride yesterday but someone (Straightforward) came and got her saddle so riding didn't happen :P . Really, I have my own saddle but I took it home before my surgery with the intent to clean it and decrease the saddle count in the tack room. I looked at it as I left the house and thought to myself I need to take it back to the barn :roll: . So, Kyra just had a buddy day. My left foot is so flaming sore that ground work is out at the moment. I ended up just socializing and enjoying a crisp clear fall day.

I may try out mentoring one of the teenagers that boards at the barn and let her try Kyra. She is a straight A student, takes serious lessons and actually listens to the instructor. She turned Kyra out for me when I couldn't get to the barn and she behaved really well for her (as opposed to me who the first time I let her out after my surgery, she bolted and yanked the rope out of my hands...grrrr). Her horse is elderly and creaky and sometimes off and I think she would enjoy working Kyra IF they get along under saddle which I am pretty sure they will.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:07 pm

Kyra's Mom wrote:Well...I was going to ride yesterday but someone (Straightforward) came and got her saddle so riding didn't happen :P .

Oh shoot - did you want to try the Eloquence? I grabbed it to bring over to Adrienne in case she said the Vinici was a no-go.
Keep calm and canter on.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:15 pm

Great updates everyone, and I love seeing the photos!
I'm grumpy because I'm going to be traveling for work and will be away for a week. And of course, the little bugger decided to slam his hip into something in turnout (the shelter???) so was quite sore with a fairly deep laceration for the last few days. So all the training came to a screeching halt. And of course, I was hoping to actually bring him to a show in early November. So I have to think long and hard about whether or not it makes sense to enter him. I'll have 2 weeks to get him back into the swing of things, so I'm tempted to give it a go.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:31 pm

Bummer on both fronts- hope Miro feels better soon

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:45 pm

Thank you! He's already almost all better, but I'm leaving on Thurs early am, so no point in riding one day and letting him sit. I may as well just continue his vacation.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:46 pm

Ryeissa wrote:
Having a saddle with a suede seat definitely helps to. It's funny that is not something I would have necessarily gravitated for especially in a high in saddle. But I really like it. I also like the Buffalo leather is grippier and I feel more secure

I am interested in the suede seat. My western type trail saddle has a suede seat with roughout seat jockeys and fenders. I love it. I am very secure in it when Rocky does the occasional big spook. I started riding my dressage saddle out on trails with full seat breeches and that is also a very secure combination. The only problem with full seat breeches is Texas summer time heat.

Anyway, I plan on getting a new dressage saddle and have to decide if I want the suede seat or not. I am wondering how well the suede wears. My trail saddle has held up well but it only gets used once a week at most.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:53 pm

I have kept with everyone’s updates but havent had much to post about myself, since Rocky is on rehab. She is feeling good and wants to trot under saddle now, which of course, I dont let her do. She gets a recheck next week.

I am taking weekly lessons on one of my trainers horses, and am feeling my confidence coming back. I am ready to get back in the program with Rocky.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:12 pm

Demi, in my experience, with enough wear, suede gets really slick. Just something to consider!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:29 pm

demi wrote:Anyway, I plan on getting a new dressage saddle and have to decide if I want the suede seat or not. I am wondering how well the suede wears. My trail saddle has held up well but it only gets used once a week at most.

I don't think I'd order a suede seat if I as purchasing a new saddle. The older BC I rode Annabelle in for the last several months has a suede seat and knee rolls. The seat is still grippy, but pretty much the suede is packed down and will get more slick with time. The padded knee flaps are still very suede-y though, and seem like they'll stay that way for a long time. I think I'd just go for a buffalo leather flap or similar if I wanted more grip. A nubuck seat might work well too. Really the suede seat on my BC is more like nubuck now anyway.
Keep calm and canter on.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:07 pm

Mine is just a suede top part- not flaps.

I didn't have a choice since it was a discontinued demo and it was that or nothing. I really like it, it wouldn't have been what I gravitated towards but it's really nice.

its "Custom " saddle with buffalo and silver stitching....I have not heard anything about how it wears, but for the price it'd better last a bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My jump and other dressage saddle are really smooth leather, so my guess as even with wear this is still going to be better. Plus the buffalo is textured.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:23 pm

I have a saddle with a suede seat, it has slicked up with use. Not horribly, but I prefer buffalo leather than suede seat personally. Buffalo leather can be stickier and wears better IMO.

We are back into summer temps this week and my poor horses are feeling it! Last couple of times I have ridden Rip he was dripping sweat after the work, we both were!! Even with the heat today (short but sweet ride) we got some really nice lateral. I was doing HP and back in bending LY, shorter diagonals in both trot and canter. Trot was gorgeous, to the point I put in a change of bend zig zag HP, canter is harder, but I think this HP and back in canter pile'/LY is where I need to go with him.

Had a very interesting ride on Juliet today, I start out with her (after a bit of lunging and WIH) at a very slow articulated walk and do lots of lateral work in this walk. She had been taught forward to the bridle and we have had to go back and teach her about balance first and foremost. She is also having to learn asking for lateral movements (usually have one leg as driving leg, the other helps shapes) does not mean just go forward. Interspersed with the slow walk lateral movements I would stretch her out but still want that same slower balanced walk. Felt really nice so moved on to trot. Right is her harder side but today I felt the best with her in balance and carrying herself for longer and longer periods. Now to be able to move that big mare around (lateral work) in the trot. Get her lighter in her feet.

Filly Jo looked great after her back shoes were put on yesterday so I think she will be fine for the clinic. Still need to work her today and make sure, but man she looked great when I turned her out with Rip for a few hours yesterday! Sometimes horses just need those back shoes for stability. Juliet too had back shoes put on and that could definitely be a factor in how she felt today.

exvet glad JR is living up to your expectations! I hope Joplin does for me as well:) I think so but I still have quite a few milestones to get to before we really know. Got good compliments on her at the vet last week. How well behaved she is. She loaded, hauled and traveled like a pro (first time hauling by herself) I was very happy with my girl.

Our weather is supposed to turn this weekend and have lows in the 40's, YIKES, so not ready for that! It was low 70's this morning and highs around 90. These wild temp swings are so not fun. Hope those of you with snow have moderated some. Is it early for that type of weather?

khall

Postby khall » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:24 pm

DJR did you ever figure out if something was going on with Finn? I knew you had questions about him. Glad he is home and doing well US.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:49 pm

StraightForward wrote:Oh shoot - did you want to try the Eloquence? I grabbed it to bring over to Adrienne in case she said the Vinici was a no-go.

No...my saddle is fine. It just needs to be at the barn ;) . Whichever one you had there is fine for walking but I think for me would be a crotch banger at rising trot. I don't know why I expected that one to just be there? Says lazy old lady :lol: .

Oh, congrats on the show. I am glad her new place drama doesn't carry over for the whole show. It should get better with mileage.

Susan

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:47 pm

My foot/ankle still hurts. I will try and get a boot on it tomorrow, but today is a no-go. I really need to get back to it as we have a clinic the first weekend in November. which is almost upon us.

If you want to keep you suede "suedey" you need a little fine wire brush to brush the nap up with, and don't soap or oil it, obviously!

It was 17 degrees here yesterday morning. Blah. Too early.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:22 pm

Thank you khall. It sounds like you've already got a good citizen with your filly. I always, always, always appreciate the level headed ones. Manners usually are ingrained and require few reminders. Good luck, with her breeding I'm sure she'll be a stunner.

On the discussion of trail saddles, mine is a barrel saddle with an ostrich seat and lots of pretty pink rhinestones LOL. I didn't set out looking for that particular saddle but I love it for trail riding. We usually put at least 15 - 20 miles on the trail each week. Like many of the trail saddles it's lighter than your typical western pleasure (or around here almost all the used western saddles are roping saddles) saddle. I needed something that had a smaller seat and would fit Junior's short back. The barrel saddles are made for women and usually come in the smaller sizes with less/no rigging.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:23 pm

USDF tests are up for 2019
slllllooooowwwww site, everyone must want them
Happy riding

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:43 am

I got in a ride today. Managed to pony up the energy to get my saddle back to the barn ;) .

Just a splendid wonderful fall day. 65 degrees, sunshine and a good horse. I got the OK from the back surgeon to resume life but am still being a bit on the cautious side. So still just did a walking session. Did some small serpentines back and forth across the track. Got nice bend in the arc of the serpentine. Also worked on rein back. Very nice and marching. She is getting so much better and to the point where I can genuinely call it a rein back. We also did some LY zig zags...she hasn't been worked very much so we just stuck to LY to get some suppling and also making sure she was straight before changing direction. She loves to demonstrate that she can fling herself sideways so I work on maintaining control and straightness. Just a lovely day to be on a horse.

In keeping with my goal of working on ME for the rest of the year, I joined a local gym last week and ponied up for working with a personal trainer for at least 2-3 months. I told him my first goal is returning to functionality before working on rote fitness...that is always a plus but currently I need to get functional and past the feeling that as soon as I fix one thing, another one goes haywire. The back is mostly healed but I am back to wearing a cam boot on my very sore foot. I was going to make an appointment to get it checked but last time, the doc told me to go back to the boot if things flared up. I have worn it here and there but decided to bite the bullet and wear it for at least a couple weeks and see if I can get the tendonitis to calm down. No use paying the big bucks to see the doctor to have them tell me (again...) to wear the boot. I take it off to ride. Riding at the walk doesn't bother it in the least thank goodness. Anyway, the personal trainer has his work cut out for him ;) :lol: . Today, the trainer session was just a meet and greet to get baseline info. But, since I was there I did do a mile on one of the elliptical machines. I was walking 2-3 miles/day within a week of my surgery and continued that until I went back to work but haven't been able to walk due to said sore foot for the last 3 weeks. The gym has a pool and I plan to spend lots of time in there as I can get a good workout that is easy on the back and the foot.

Susan

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:16 am

Good for you, Susan! Glad to see you back in the saddle, even if tentatively.

I had a nice ride today. I think I'm getting my mojo back... don't know what happened there.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:35 am

I have been focusing on the elements required in the second level tests in prep for my upcoming show. I do not actually practice the test because Kimba get very quick to anticipate in the wrong way. I will be so happy when the show is over. I dont know if its age or because I dont show often anymore but I am a few days our, already feeling show nerves and trying hard not to make that unfair on the way I ride the horse. Le sigh.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:10 pm

I've been struggling a bit to get 4 rides in per week with the kids and life and events... I've been super consistent at 3 good rides a week for the past few weeks but I feel 4 is optimal for us.

So today I pulled on my big girl pants and got myself up out of bed at 4:25am so I could be in the (outdoor and unlighted) arena with Bliss at 4:45. I got a great ride in - he was quick in a good way and we had some really nice steady and forward lateral work.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:11 pm

Rosie B wrote:I've been struggling a bit to get 4 rides in per week with the kids and life and events... I've been super consistent at 3 good rides a week for the past few weeks but I feel 4 is optimal for us.

So today I pulled on my big girl pants and got myself up out of bed at 4:25am so I could be in the (outdoor and unlighted) arena with Bliss at 4:45. I got a great ride in - he was quick in a good way and we had some really nice steady and forward lateral work.

Well done, I admire your self motivation

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:21 pm

Thanks Chisamba - I've only done one morning ride so far. lol... I'll congratulate myself when I am getting at least one additional ride per week thanks to morning riding. ;)

One interesting thing I noticed today was in Tr and HP left vs right. Doing Tr and HP to the left I feel I can sit loosely, drape my inside leg, softly allow my outside (right) hip to open, and I can feel the flow through my seat and easily encourage that flow in a sideways direction. When I tried to get the same feel in Tr and HP right, I couldn't get the same drape, open hip, and flow feeling. I am not sure if I'm tight or blocking there somewhere, or if it's him, but it was a very interesting observation in the difference in feels.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:21 pm

Well, proof that I did show, it was second level one and two, I scored 65 and 63.59. I am quite pleased, placed first and second.
Attachments
SmartSelect_20181020-154858_Video Player.jpg
SmartSelect_20181020-154858_Video Player.jpg (211.95 KiB) Viewed 19879 times

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:12 pm

Great work, Chisamba!

demi

Postby demi » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:33 pm

Nice pic, Chisamba! Good job. Good girl, Kimba!

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:50 pm

Congrats Chisamba! I like the dark saddle cloth, you both look great dressed up :)

I had my first go at PSG! It was a training day where you ride the test and then the judge discusses it with you. The PSG test is actually an easy one to remember as the movements are just mirrored.
It was really windy and a sign was blown over and Ding saw it happen out the corner of his eye and jammed the brakes on. I had about 3 strides to get him going again and do a flying change at C. We managed it, although it was quite 'expressive' :shock: The judge understood it was a spook but had to drop the marks accordingly. Then all the movements that had him looking at the fallen sign, I had a bit of a struggle keeping his attention. I started my 3x changes a bit early (further away from sign) and the judge said she had to take a mark off for that. She also helped me with that passagey trot. Overall she said it was a nice test :)

My friend videoed it, but she was holding her horse at the same time. Her horse was very interested in eating as much grass as he could (no grass at his home due to drought) so the vid was rather wobbly :lol:

Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 6.09.53 pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 6.09.53 pm.jpg (78.85 KiB) Viewed 19866 times

khall

Postby khall » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:05 am

Congrats Chisamba and Flight! Great job!!

My big news and a big milestone is I got on my filly with Cedar at the clinic today!! She was totally unconcerned:) It was windy and we had quite a few gallery wise watching, she just went out and went to work. Can I say how much I love this filly!!!! Great lunge work, good in hand work and then on we got. She was even responding to leg aids. So stoked:)

Rip was pretty dang good today as well. Again wind was up but except for a couple of smaller spooks he was fine. He's groaning at the new canter work though. Counter SI to HP, but mostly counter he is so not impressed. Last 2 were really good. and Gaila had a ride with the trainer with Cedar and it went pretty well even the rain.

Fun weekend so far!

I have video of Joplin and will post later.

Added video of Joplin's first ride:

https://www.facebook.com/keri.hall.35/p ... ed_comment
Last edited by khall on Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:22 am

What an exciting weekend, Khall, Chisamba and Flight!
Keep calm and canter on.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:58 am

Flight wrote:It was really windy and a sign was blown over and Ding saw it happen out the corner of his eye and jammed the brakes on.

I hate it when that happens. You go to all the trouble to get to the show and then the tent, or something, blows over and scares the crap out of your horse and ruins your test--and sometimes all your tests. I was reading on someone's web page that her upper level horse was so traumatized by the tent blowing over that they had to retire him from showing.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:30 pm

Flight, congratulations. PSG is such a landmark!!. I sympathize with you on the spook. , it was quite cold and windy at our show too and they had this tarp gazebos for the officials, one gave a pretty sharp snap,crackle and that was too much even for Kimba who scooted dramatically.

Khall, what a fabulous report.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:58 pm

Oh man Rosie, 4 in the morning, you are dedicated. I was thinking that may be in my future come summer for weather avoidance purposes but I'm not sure how likely it is to actually happen.

Congrats Chisamba, nice scores and what a lovely picture too!

Too bad about the spooks Flight but still, PSG! How exciting and it sounds like it was a good experience.

khall Joplin really does look completely unconcerned, that's so awesome!

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:01 pm

Dresseur here, signing in from my home for the next week: Austin, TX. Khall, Flight, Chisamba - congratulations! That's amazing news. I'm chomping at the bit to get home and ride. This is like torture for me, punctuated by amazing food.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:54 pm

adorable Khall! :) what a nice colored horse, too.
Flight- good photo! very purposeful
Great job chisamba- very elegant posture in both of you. Congrats second level

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:52 pm

I had the great opportunity to watch the Charlotte Dujardin master class that happened this past weekend in Toronto, ON, Canada. I watched Carl Hester a year ago, now CD. It was really good!

So, this morning I got up early which I've been doing off & on for the past few weeks, and rode Jet in the pre-dawn darkness (with my outdoor arena lights on, of course). I channeled CD & CH, and had a great ride. Jet, as usual it seems, needs more strength work and more fitness, but we're getting there.

One ride at a time.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Return to “Dressage Training”