Anyone want my dream job?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Dresseur
500 post plus club

Anyone want my dream job?

Postby Dresseur » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:03 pm

So, mods, I'm not sure where to put this, as this is more of a PSA for someone to come take my dream job - so delete or move as necessary!
Long story short, Andrea's long, long time barn manager/groom is moving closer to her family. A has been looking for a while and nothing has shaken loose and she's in panic mode. It's hard work because stall cleaning and grooming is part of the gig, but she's amazing and her place is amazing. Live in, competitive pay, bring a horse, opportunities to ride and learn. She's at this point even looking at more short term solutions as long as the person is reliable. If you know of anyone who is in the PA area or wants to move - I'll send you the link to her job posting. It's my dream job, I wish I could take it, maybe some day....

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Anyone want my dream job?

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:28 pm

Including stall cleaning in this mix always makes hiring for these positions harder. I think most people have figured out that you are not a barn manager or a groom if you are a stall cleaner. The elite trainers I'm familiar with in NC, SC and FL separate these tasks. How many horses are supported at a time?

I will share, though, with younger folk who may be ready for such an opportunity.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:45 pm

Thank you piedmont. And yes, I've spoken to her about the difficulty there... It's a 16 stall barn. Stalls get cleaned in the am, and then picked around 3pm. Grooming for riding/lessons in between. And training/lessons is included - if you are a good rider, you can ride more, but she's not looking for an assistant rider/trainer - and a lot of people fancy themselves that. She iss looking into PT help for stalls to mitigate the "blended" position, right now she has people coming in a few days a week. But really, it's just her - she doesn't have a full staff of assistant trainers etc etc. It's a small operation in terms of staff, but even for that, hours aren't stupid - usually done by 4ish and the pay is good. When she's teaching clinics and away, the days are super easy.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:04 pm

Yeah, that is going to be tough to fill. Hope she finds a great match! I hear you on the "assistant" thing, but even being a groom is a different role than being a stall cleaner.

I do think there are great livestock/agricultural workers and farm workers who are not interested in riding--but can be fabulous assets to a professional barn. My barn is fortunate to have a wonderful crew of them. They love the animals and countryside, but are not there to become eventers!

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:10 pm

Yea, I'll keep up the conversations with her to see if there is a better way to word it. I just hate seeing her so worried about this.

Edited to add, she is looking for a stall cleaner.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:30 pm

oh my, I don't care HOW many stalls- I would love this job..... ! what a great program to be part of...! Really quality instruction.

Return to “Dressage Training”