Steffen Peters and Suppenkasper

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Tanga
500 post plus club

Steffen Peters and Suppenkasper

Postby Tanga » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:50 pm

https://gdf.coth.com/article/video-stef ... z0P8ajdfQA

Wow. I wonder why he did the GPS. I thought he was way underscored. That looked better than any GP ride I saw for Amsterdam, including IW.

The only think I would say that needs work from that is that left hind comes under too much in passage, his tempi changes could be quicker, as with everything else a bit, and that side to side piaffe at the end. But he was working on calm, so I'm guessing the tempo will come up more.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Re: Steffen Peters and Suppenkasper

Postby Dresseur » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:12 pm

Imo the scores lower because the p/p is very problematic and there’s a lot of weight given to those scores. The passage rocks back and forth and the piaffe triangulates a great deal. There’s also a bit of balancé from what I can tell- at the very least, he’s getting a bit base wide. That right piri is also really affecting scores, I’d assume. The horse just still seems a bit weak and transitions between movements are telling. Just my 2cents.

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:20 am

The passage also consistently shows the right hind less active than the left. Alas, one needs to make them match--otherwise it is not only inelegant but off-putting (lame-looking). I agree that weakness of the horse is a big part of what is going on.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:45 pm

I was there for the GP. He looked much improved over the last time i saw him IRL, but as noted above, unevenness still shows up.....

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:12 am

lorilu wrote:I was there for the GP. He looked much improved over the last time i saw him IRL, but as noted above, unevenness still shows up.....

Cool. Nice to know he's improving. My guess is Steffen is smart enough about all of it that he is focusing in relaxation right now and can fix the unevenness when he needs to. He did a good job with Legolas who was very hard to keep even.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:29 am

Here is a nice short article with quotes from SP about their progress and etc... http://dressage-news.com/2020/02/06/ste ... K_RS1l_z0A

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:09 am

Nice to see they are improving. I look forward to seeing them in Vegas. I assume Adrienne Lyle will be the other, but maybe Kelly Casey. It doesn't look like either of them are competing in the US right now.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:36 am

I read today that Suppenkasper is 18 hands plus!! That might explain why he is still maturing in his GP movements!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:39 pm

Has anyone on earth been given more trained top horses to ride than Steffen? Two already trained grand prix horses for every olympics on a platter

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:34 pm

Chisamba wrote:Has anyone on earth been given more trained top horses to ride than Steffen? Two already trained grand prix horses for every olympics on a platter

Pretty much most of the German team. Many of them are so young there is no way they did any training. Sonke Rothenburger is a lovely rider, but you know he didn't do all of that. There is some serious money in that family.

Which two were trained to GP? Ravel had a lot of issues and was not doing well, so was Legolas and Rosie. Suppenkaspar wasn't on any top scene. I think the ones that Akiko has gotten for him are all top prospects, but not the top of the GP scene.

Charlotte Jorst has bought herself 10, 20 of the literal top horses in the world. How many were in the top 20?

On an aside, I saw that Supenkaspar was 18.1 and I don't believe it. Steffen is a slight built man about 5'8". There is no way that horse is that big even if it's all legs.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:37 pm

Tanga wrote:
Chisamba wrote:Has anyone on earth been given more trained top horses to ride than Steffen? Two already trained grand prix horses for every olympics on a platter

Pretty much most of the German team. Many of them are so young there is no way they did any training. Sonke Rothenburger is a lovely rider, but you know he didn't do all of that. There is some serious money in that family.

Which two were trained to GP? Ravel had a lot of issues and was not doing well, so was Legolas and Rosie. Suppenkaspar wasn't on any top scene. I think the ones that Akiko has gotten for him are all top prospects, but not the top of the GP scene.

Charlotte Jorst has bought herself 10, 20 of the literal top horses in the world. How many were in the top 20? She bought Lorenzo after he finished 5th in the Olympics.

On an aside, I saw that Supenkaspar was 18.1 and I don't believe it. Steffen is a slight built man about 5'8". There is no way that horse is that big even if it's all legs.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:21 pm

I wish I had that kind of support!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:24 pm

Cosmo, ridden by Sonke since Cosmo he was 6 years old at M* , both Sonke's parents are ex olympic riders and he started in the ponies.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:34 pm

Legolas and Supenkasper were GP Ravel was small tour. Steffen posted video of Rosie doing piaffe and passage within the first few weeks of riding her. I think he has been very blessed to have such a provider

Eurodressage

Suppenkasper made their CDI debut at the CDIO Compiegne where they won the Grand Prix and Special with 73.520% and 74.294%. At the CDI Cappeln in July they won the Grand Prix and Kur with 70.580 and 75.975%.

Suppenkasper was one of Germany's most talent, up and coming Grand Prix horses. He will now continue his career under Steffen Peters.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:42 pm

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:45 pm

http://www.eurodressage.com/2006/09/21/ ... fen-peters

Shown small tour, trained to GP, quote Steffen, has no weaknesses

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:02 am

"It's easy enough to find"

Again, not top tier horses. Some trained to GP, some shown, but none of them were on the stage as ready Olympic horses. Like I said, Ravel, Legolas, and Rosie all had issues. Suppenkaspar was shown by one of the top riders tp %72, which isn't high for that level of rider.

That's not the same as, I forgot the Spanish girl who got Painted Black after Anky had competed him at the highest level, nor pretty much all of CJ's horses. And, yes, thank you for agreeing with me that Sonke has two Olympic rider parents to help him with horses as well as all of that money. He is beyond blessed, lucky, and everything else to make it as easy as possible for him. I can't imagine more fortunate circumstances.

I'm not sure what the point is, really. He has done the work. He got Udon as a three year old and did all of the training, and was gyped at the Olympics with him. There are rare people like Laura Graves with Verdades who just bring along one horse from the start and get to the top. Casey Perry has had a lot of help and money behind her. Adrienne Lyle is Debbie McDonald's protege and has worked very hard, but she's not getting the horses at the bottom. Robert Dover rode a ton of top horses that I know he didn't train. I don't take anything away from him, though.

It doesn't really make sense for top rider to do young horses because of time and the danger of getting hurt. It's the system now. I think pretty much everyone knows what you need most to be at the top, besides years of hard work and really knowing how to ride, is the money and support to get the horses that can do those top competitions once you get there.

Anky competed reining. I asked her once why didn't she keep doing it. She said you need the top horses. It all comes down to that at this level.

Manni01
Greenie

Postby Manni01 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:38 am

sorry to jump into the discussion, but I do agree with Chisamba, I am sure SP deserves his Sponsor but still most German Riders get their horses pretty young and bring them up the levels, IW is the most famous one doing it, Helen Langenhanenberg got Damsey finished but I think all the other horses she brought up herself, Soenke Rothenberger brought up Cosmo but he is different because both of his parents are Olympians, Jessica Werndl I think brought up all her horses except for Unee.... I think she got him finished, If you are not able to bring up a horse to GP I think you are not truly a good rider and it will show in your competition... At the top there is so much competition that every little detail shows....
BTW this is an old video with Helen Langenhanenberg and Suppenkasper right before he sold...
https://www.facebook.com/GermanHorsesFo ... 317/?t=127

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:12 pm

Chancellor wrote:I wish I had that kind of support!

Me too! And I wish I could ride a fraction as well as he does. He is an Olympic rider, and he has proven that. He is fortunate to have a sponsor who rightly believes in him and (I am pretty sure) gets to ride her horses when they're done competing for the gold.

If you're wanting to go for gold medals, you have to always have a horse, so why not buy prospects instead of starting from the ground up and gambling? It makes sense to me, and he's not a spring chicken anymore. The riders that have to do it from the ground up, what happens when their horse runs out? What does Laura Graves do now? Even Charlotte has been having to develop her next competitors, and that takes years.

Tanga wrote: Anky competed reining. I asked her once why didn't she keep doing it. She said you need the top horses. It all comes down to that at this level.

JMHO as a reiner…you also have to have the talent to ride one, and correctly riding a reiner is hard too. From what I saw, Anky struggled to let go of her horses' faces and just ride from her seat. If she had really wanted to pursue it, I'm SURE someone would have made her a deal on a horse good enough for her to compete on -- they're not priced in the tens of millions. If I know people personally that were able to buy top-class reiners, she could have made that happen, had she wanted to.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:29 pm

At least three-- Floriano, too, was GP prior to Steffen getting the ride on him.

https://www.chronofhorse.com/article/dr ... r-floriano

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:34 pm

Kelo wrote:
Chancellor wrote:I wish I had that kind of support!

Me too! And I wish I could ride a fraction as well as he does. He is an Olympic rider, and he has proven that. He is fortunate to have a sponsor who rightly believes in him and (I am pretty sure) gets to ride her horses when they're done competing for the gold.

If you're wanting to go for gold medals, you have to always have a horse, so why not buy prospects instead of starting from the ground up and gambling? It makes sense to me, and he's not a spring chicken anymore. The riders that have to do it from the ground up, what happens when their horse runs out? What does Laura Graves do now? Even Charlotte has been having to develop her next competitors, and that takes years.

I don't begrudge him anything. From what I have seen, he takes good care of the horses he has.

And I do wonder about Laura Graves.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:22 pm

I DO hope Laura Graves gets a sponsor! I do't know how many other horses she rides, but Verdades was a difficult horse and she did probably better than any other American ever has, really. It would be a shame not to have her out there competing for the team with her experience.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:00 pm

Tanga wrote:I DO hope Laura Graves gets a sponsor! I do't know how many other horses she rides, but Verdades was a difficult horse and she did probably better than any other American ever has, really. It would be a shame not to have her out there competing for the team with her experience.

Agreed. She did great with him. I hope she finds a sponsor as well.

Return to “Dressage Training”