StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Let the horse hair fly! March and April Goals and Progress

Postby StraightForward » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:18 pm

Once again, I have very simple goals:

Annabelle -
-Reintroduce turnout
-Conditioning and suppling
-Basically getting back to where we ended in October, 2018 so I can think about starting lessons again

Tesla -
-Long lining
-Go on a couple field trips
-In hand work
-Get saddle fitted

Me -
-Stick with my 2x a week at the gym, 2x a week running routine that I established this winter
-Stick to my low carb diet at least 6 days a week
-Keep going out to the barn before work 3-4 days a week
-Study ahead of the Jillian Kreinbring workshop I'm attending
-Audit a clinic
Keep calm and canter on.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Re: Let the horse hair fly! March and April Goals and Progress

Postby Chancellor » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:39 pm

I'm sort of starting to enjoy reading the titles of these threads. Even though I have no more horse goals.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:47 pm

Yeah, I’m enjoying this title, too! Thanks for starting it SF. I’m looking forward to everyone’s reports and pictures. I’ll write a post later today.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:18 pm

I think this is my first contribution to the Goals threads! My not-so-new horse (almost nine months now) and I are starting to come together pretty well. It took awhile, but I always felt that it would happen eventually.

Our goals:
Learn to ride the right lead canter/walk transition properly to help him stay balanced and not have to dump on the forehand.

Continue to improve our rides in the snaffle. We have gone from practically unrideable to rides that I would call "not too bad." We ride in the double in our weekly lessons, and in snaffle most other days.

Get relaxed (both of us) in counter-canter. He anticipates a change (which he does with great exuberance and drama), and I need to get better balanced in the saddle. This is improving!

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:33 pm

I'm taking stock of last sections goals and glad that I was kind to myself.

Trot poles/cavaletti once a week Success: We did this a lot. At walk/trot and even canter. Even jumped a proper cross rail (I'm a weanie)
Built on halt to square and not octopus centerline Partial Success: When she's rideable yes this is improvement, not so much when feral.
Continue to encourage stretchy forward/down/out trotwork Partial Success: Ditto from previous goal.
Clicker/treat train her to smile Success: This was relatively easy to teach but I'd like to work on duration, not just flipping her lip up. A fun thing to work on as good distraction.

March/Apr we just want to get out of the freaking indoor by now. Winter is too long!!

Goals:
Find more harmony in each progressive ride
Get off property
Do some schooling shows in April
Learn how to wax trailer and do it!

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:41 pm

I don't have any real set goals...right now, it seems life is getting in the way so I look at each visit just to decompress and fiddle around with my horse. Hoping to improve her both in her work and her fitness.

I really need to work on me first. I am half afraid to get on her right now. The stress of the last couple months with elder mother care and elder dog care has sent me straight to the candy machine and that is bad. It isn't that I am afraid she can't hold me up as I know she can I just don't want her to break or tear something as she isn't very fit either. It has been a pretty open and dry winter so I should be able to get her into a walking program soon. HOWEVER, she has been a real ditz the last month or so. Distracted, lonely and reactive so we will probably start with me boring her to death in the arena. I would love to take her out but I need some of that Tranquility stuff that SF has used then I might try.

There is also a road construction project that is diverting traffic down the road the arena is on. Lord...people drive like idiots and the arena is right next to the road. I guess by the end of it all she should be pretty traffic broke.

I have actually gotten to work her the last 2 weeks but only about 3 days a week so far. I started with lunging and walking with some cavaletti but this week broke out the surcingle and have been double lining her. I like this better than side reins although it is for sure more work but she has worked and looked very good. Just asking for free forward movement with a fairly long neck and tons of transitions to get some fitness and good stretched muscle tone. The 2 times I have done this have gone quite well. I added a prebiotic/probiotic supplement to her ration balancer about 3 months ago and I do like her muscle definition better on the supplement. She gets plenty of forage but it was baled a bit late and is on the coarser side and the supplement seems to help her utilize her food a bit better. Where she isn't grossly dirty, she sparkles.

I will probably try and get on this weekend. You would think by now (she turns 18 this May :shock: ) she would be over the spring sillies but I guess she is a horse and I think that stays with them for life.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:25 am

Well today was a white storm of Kimba hair so the title is so appropriate.

I'm starting with me. I tend to pressurize myself. So my goal this period is to recognize when I am overdoing it and step back to enjoy. So the goals are not to be third level ready, which was my first thought, no I want to progress the horses in their time and with success.

So Kimba. Develop muscle, balance and uphill so that her skills are amplified. To get clean single flying change cleanly. Do some fun trail rides.

Caliburn: continue to improve transitions and more correct muscling.

I might try training shows or the real thing based on how this goes.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:57 am

Work has been awfully busy and stressful lately. So a big goal is finding/making time to ride despite work and at least one other chunk of travel to europe.

MM:
Find another stretch of days to work trailer loading
Work on staying quiet while I ride MM--staying consistent and insisting on the lightest possible aid
Get out of the arena more/do more poles
Start trying to stay on top of her allergies (I've finally ordered a Boett for her, hoping it helps!)

RP:
Continue working on more self-carriage and balance
Introduce poles
Work on more seamless trot-canter-trot transitions while staying relaxed
Practice standing still under saddle calmly (he doesn't fidget around, but he does stand tense and chomp chomp chomp, as soon as we walk, big sigh and relax)

I should probably also anticipate a visit from the dentist in this period. So far RP has needed a dentist every 3-5 months. Last time was december. Whenever he sounds the alarm that his teeth are a millimeter off his ideal state, I'll call her in and probably have her do MM as well (it'll be a year in June).

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:44 am

I just want to ride again regularly :evil: Coming off another doctor-enforced break, so we should be good to go ........ but I really need a brave soul to climb aboard for about a week's worth of riding before Maia's "safe enough" to satisfy the doc's requirements. Any volunteers? :roll: :lol:

So, goals:
- Return me to riding shape
- Re-instill equine discipline
- Sit square
- Ride square
- Don't get hurt
- Maybe get back to running shape? Please?? (I so hope the hip repair works!)

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:46 pm

Well the stinker pony is shedding and attracting so many birds it's crazy - I recognize bird's nest by the buckskin hair intertwined in them LOL.

My goals are pretty much the same - work with Junior on improving the quality of all 3 gaits. In order to do that we are not accepting anything but perfect transitions, really coming through properly into the contact. I am slowing down the tempo but increasing the forward power and really feeling for the lift through the withers/shoulders. I am simply not allowing any bullish behavior where junior answers a request to move forward by bearing down through his chest and lower neck. I guess our show in 10 days will give us some feedback as to whether or not we've even improved since our last show. It will be Junior's first time at this particular show venue so it will be interesting to see if he takes it in stride like most everything else. He will have to sleep away from home which he has not had to do before this......

Morgan, aka Stinker, is retired completely at age 18 so my goal with him is to see if I can keep his allergies in check. If not it may be time to see if I can find a retirement facility out of state that I can move him to for his remaining years. Since I'm not breeding any more I no longer have any job for him and I don't know if it's fair to keep him in the one part of the country that makes him miserable every time the palo verde trees start to bloom and shed seed pods which is at least half of the year. If we get a second year in a row where he keeps all his hair, then my spoiled pony will continue his lawn ornament status.

Ace the mustang is just a good ole joe; so, our goal is to continue to share many happy trails together. He is the most comfortable horse to ride. It's too bad he thinks dressage is a waste of his valuable energy LOL because he still has a walk to die for........

demi

Postby demi » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:43 am

I have to start grooming Emma’s pasture very early in the season because of her fly allergy. Yesterday I mowed down a couple of weed patches and noticed that she’s been using them to shed herself out. I was amazed at how much hair she self curried! I have started to work her again after a couple of years but I am not going to set any goals other than to just have fun and stay ahead of the flies. The work is like starting over from the beginning and it’s interesting and enjoyable.

I won’t exactly set goals for Rocky this time either, but I will be working with progress in mind. She had been going nicely at a consistent rein length but now my trainer wants them shorter. I am working on it. Rocky gets bullish when I shorten the reins but it isn’t like bearing down with her chest and lower neck. Rather, she lowers and curls her head and neck. She doesn’t curl and come behind the bit, but she curls and takes a strong contact on the bit. My instinct was to let her stretch down and give her more rein so she wouldn’t curl. Duh. My trainer quickly corrected me. “KEEP HER HEAD UP! This isn’t a stretchy circle!!!” Ok, I got the point.

I now have her working nicely at trot and canter on a 1-2 inch shorter rein than previously. The first several days of this was hard on my back to keep her up and light but every day seems a little better than the day before, and my back, hips and abs are getting noticibly stronger and no longer sore. I am doing mostly full arena ( I have a 20X40m at home) and toward the end of the ride I do 20 and 15 m circles. Trainer initially wanted me to canter on a 10m circle but she may have just been giving me an “object lesson” to show just how necessary it is for me to shorten the reins again. When I mentioned at my last lesson that the new balance was much easier to get on the full arena she had no problem with it (for now).

This new balance has made a big difference in the right lead canter which I’ve never been happy with. I think the difference is not only from a shorter rein, but from slowing the tempo and also not making smaller circles (for now).

No riding for me all next week as I’ll be in Michigan taking care of 91 yr old mom. She gets around quite slowly now, but she is mentally sharp and I enjoy her company. One of my sisters will be there too and we’ll also have my brother’s two JRT pups so we’ll have fun!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:58 am

20200305_004157_240x268-01.jpeg
Kimba canter
20200305_004157_240x268-01.jpeg (25.99 KiB) Viewed 24261 times
Really simple photo of an average canter, but I am happy with it because it's just after a flying change and she is neither rushing nor hollow. It's the small things.

And because it makes me happy. Mikhail joining me for a ride.
20200217_164629_240x320-01.jpeg
Mikhail riding
20200217_164629_240x320-01.jpeg (57.76 KiB) Viewed 24261 times

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:15 am

Really nice Chisamba :) It is those small things that come together to make it all good. Really good to see Mikhail riding too.

I didn't comment about others much from the last goals months, but have been reading and keeping up with everyone's news.

I'm very goal-less at the moment, I really think having no regular lessons is leaving me to wallow around directionless and this year for me, work is taking over and my partner will be away for 6 months so it feels like a bit of a 'nothing' year. It's not a bad thing, nice to just stay home and relax to be honest. I don't have any comps lined up and I've just been playing around with my horses.
The fires are out around here, the smoke has cleared and we've had some rain. My water tanks are 3/4 full! The grass is growing and the temperature is really nice right now. Horses are losing their summer coat to make way for winter fluff.

Here's some vid of Norsey. Far from perfect (again, debated with myself about sharing but this is a progress type thread and you guys are gentle with feedback) but he's a lot more confident with his changes.
https://youtu.be/tck4EyATpi8

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:23 pm

Flight look at all those changes and not a single butt leap. What lovely progress

Manni01
Greenie

Postby Manni01 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:10 pm

Looking great! Love the video Flight!!
My goals are to survive the show I entered in 2 weeks. we moved and that’s my first show in the new area.. Unfortunately it’s the indoor state championships (for over 40).. I am 57 so I feel too old for it.. and I am not sure whether we are really ready.. It’s 2 tests, one in the double..
with my young horse I need to canter more... She is doing well but every time we get to the canter I feel like I worked her enough.. I think I need to cut short the trot work...

blob

Postby blob » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:10 pm

Chisamba, you and Kimba look great together. Glad she's staying calm and through in the change work.

Flight--I am so impressed (and jealous, ha)! Your changes look great with Norsey and your riding is so quiet--I can't even tell when you're asking, really nice work. It's also interesting to see how in that first line down the long side the quality of the changes seemed to improve as you did more--first one down the long side the hind legs were a bit close, but by the end there was nice, clear separation behind it.

I haven't ridden at all this week, weather and work have been awful. but hoping ot make it out tomorrow and get things going again.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:51 pm

Flight, super progress - and the changes got better through the line!

This is going to jinx me, but I'll be entering a show with Miro at the beginning of April - we'll be doing 2:3 so that we can hopefully get a score to ride a MFS. We debated doing 3rd, but he's in the soup with changes, so we don't want to open that particular door yet.

Manni01
Greenie

Postby Manni01 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:13 pm

had a revelation today!! I finally had the saddle fitter out and he pointed out that my young horse has a short back and needs shorter cushions... So I decided that I might need another saddle anyhow and bought a demosaddle at a discounted price. The saddle fitter adjusted it to my horse and it arrived yesterday.
So today I rode the new saddle! After my ride, I questioned why I hadn't done that earlier... Such a difference and my horse obviously liked it!! So I used it for my older horse as well (the fitter thought they were pretty similar except that her back is longer). And again we had an amazing session..
So now I am thinking about selling my older saddle... I probably shouldn't do it because there will be the day when I need 2 saddles, but I am not going to use it anymore...
I love the new saddle!!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:03 pm

Really nice changes Flight! Like Blob says, your aids are very subtle and it creates a relaxed, harmonious picture.

I rode outside yesterday and today. Today Annabelle spooked like a normal horse, by squirting forward a few strides instead of planting her front feet and going vertical. Somehow this feels like a big milestone. :lol: It's going to take a bit for us both to feel more confident to ride forward in the outdoor, but we will get there. She is seeming happier since I put her back in my dressage saddle with a shimmed Thinline pad; we will see what the bodyworker says at our next appointment. Next week I'm going to start turning her out in a small paddock on alternating days, which will free up my time to work with Tesla more consistently. Goal is normal turnout by the time my work travel starts in mid-April.
Keep calm and canter on.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:11 pm

I don't have many goals right now. After a second pregnancy loss last month that had me physically down for a couple weeks, I handed the reins back over to my trainer for awhile so Phoenix could stay busy and start to learn some of the things I don't know how to teach. I'm still riding, but only a couple times a week. Ideally she'll stay in full training for several months to start learning the changes and she is already learning HP. Once both are good enough I can ride it as well, I'll hopefully be going back to riding more.
I'm planning to attend a schooling show in May, so I guess that's a goal, but with how little I'm currently riding myself, I'm not expecting much. I mostly just want to get her off the property, she's been here since she turned 1 and has only left the property once since.
As far as personal goals... Stay pregnant next time? *sigh* :roll:
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:20 pm

PhoenixRising wrote:I don't have many goals right now. After a second pregnancy loss last month that had me physically down for a couple weeks, I handed the reins back over to my trainer for awhile so Phoenix could stay busy and start to learn some of the things I don't know how to teach. I'm still riding, but only a couple times a week. Ideally she'll stay in full training for several months to start learning the changes and she is already learning HP. Once both are good enough I can ride it as well, I'll hopefully be going back to riding more.
I'm planning to attend a schooling show in May, so I guess that's a goal, but with how little I'm currently riding myself, I'm not expecting much. I mostly just want to get her off the property, she's been here since she turned 1 and has only left the property once since.
As far as personal goals... Stay pregnant next time? *sigh* :roll:

I had a few lost pregnancies, I seemed healthy. Blah blah, but I was hypothyroid. Just in case they havent checked. I had to start synthroid to carry full term. It might be totally different but I wish someone had suggested I get my thyroid checked sooner

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:27 pm

Chisamba wrote:
I had a few lost pregnancies, I seemed healthy. Blah blah, but I was hypothyroid. Just in case they havent checked. I had to start synthroid to carry full term. It might be totally different but I wish someone had suggested I get my thyroid checked sooner

I'll definitely ask about it!
I did ask this time if there was any testing we could do, but my Dr. said since its technically only my first MC (since the first one was in my tube) that insurance wouldn't cover anything yet and so there's nothing they can really do unless I lose another. She says she really thinks my next one will be fine. This one looked fine initially, but then blood HCG numbers weren't rising properly a week later, and a few days later the MC began. Silver lining if you'd call it that, is that we really suspect this one was in the proper place.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:51 am

I'm sorry, Phoenix, that must be very hard.

Laddie feels great. I just need to ride more. Easier said than done at the moment. I have recruited a young woman at the barn to help me out a couple of times a week, which will be good for him and for her. She had her first ride on him this afternoon and everyone survived.

demi

Postby demi » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:55 pm

Thinking positive thoughts for you Phoenix.

The pic of Kimba was really nice considering that it was right after a change. Mom and son pic was nice, too!

Norsey’s changes were very nice to watch. As others have commented on, I also appreciate the harmony of your rides, Flight. I’m glad you decided to share the vid.

Shortening Rocky’s reins is going to be a longer process than I imagined. I know there are a lot of factors involved such as her conformation and my lack of strength and fitness. At least, I have the confidence that we can do it now that I have the right trainer. When I first started trying to “do dressage” with Rocky, I gave up for a while because it was just so hard to keep her up in front without feeling like I was forcing it. Now that I can straighten her, thanks to my lessons/trainer, I am much better able to get her up in front without that feeling of force.

Every ride now, after the warmup and when I shorten the reins to the new length, I have to feel for the moment she resists and instead of burying my head in the sand and hoping it will go away, I identify the problem and make the correction in my riding. With Rocky, the resistances are 1.) trying to pull the reins out of my hands, 2.) placing her haunches in or out depending on what rein we’re on, 3.) dropping one side or the other of her back resulting in me not having equal weight on my seatbones, 4.) stiffening her back, and 5.) curling her head and neck, taking a strong contact on the bit, and taking over the tempo (running!). Those are the only problems at the moment, I think. But so far I know how to fix myself to counteract all these things and it’s just a matter of quietly and patiently going through the motions. As soon as I make one correction, she tries something else. After all of her attempts fail, she gives me some very nice work. She is really quite willing to cooperate when she realizes that doing it my way isn’t so bad. Not only is she willing, but she seems to be quite content after every ride. Now we just have to build our fitness.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:12 pm

Good to see your son riding Chisamba and it's a lovely pic of Kimba. Knowing it's right after a change and she's cantering along so nicely is extra nice.

It's super awesome to see your progress with the changes Flight, looks great. Thank you very much for sharing.

My hip is back to being really painful and my back decided to join in too so I think we're taking it easy again for a while. Just in time for the gorgeous weather. So I guess my goal is being able to ride comfortably by the end of the thread.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:10 pm

Chisamba love the pictures!

Rosie and Flight wow! Great getting the changes!! I am jealous.

As for me, hmm, we buried my Dad last Thursday. It was pouring rain for 2 days and just a disgusting mess at the cemetery but before hand we had a lovely luncheon where those who were friends and family could gather and pay their respects to Dad. The funeral while sad sent Dad off, a die hard Tennessee VOLS fan (he graduated with and EE in the 60's from there) with the appropriate Rocky Top. All were sporting orange ribbons or some other blaze orange accessory to show their support of my Dad and his normal attire of blaze orange. There is still much to wrap up helping my mom navigate the finances and minutia after a spouse's death.

I also am now sporting a knee brace on my "good" knee after getting yanked and jerked trying to turn out rambunctious horses Friday in the horrid mud after staying in for days. It has been so wet this winter I almost got the tractor stuck. My knee had been bothering me for the last 3 weeks or so but I had not been able to worry about it dealing with my Dad's failing health and hospital stay. Conservative treatment, possible MRI, see Doc again in 10-14 days. All while trying to prepare for a clinic! My horses will not be fit, but we will do what we can even if Cedar has to work them for me. I'm trying to line up some local help here to get these guys going again if the weather will cooperate!

I am also dealing with extra weight I put on these last 6 + weeks of dealing with my Dad. I'm upset about it and know I've got to eat better and get back to my Pilates. I did not go at all these last couple of weeks.

The fur is definitely flying here! It needs to, temps are supposed to be in the 70's this week. Everything is budding out early around here with peach trees already blossoming.

Happy riding all and hope those of us dealing with horse illness/injuries or loved one illness/injuries or our own owies get better soon! I don't have time to be lame!!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:10 am

20200309_200643_240x320-01.jpeg
20200309_200643_240x320-01.jpeg (50.94 KiB) Viewed 23957 times
Today was just lovely. After our Monday morning back on track ride we took a hack up the mountain. its quite high and steep. I took a pic of the view between Kimba's ears.

I am tired, I rode six horses. one is rehab so mostly walk, but by gosh I need more fitness.

The hair is certainly flying!

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:55 am

Great updates and goals, I love reading these!

Still moving forward (ha!). The new bit didn't work so we are back to our old bit for the time being but the newer saddle is better. From trying out different saddles, I can see where I may benefit from a saddle that has a little more to it than the KN at some point, something a little cushier to ride his gaits. We went to Aiken last weekend and I sat in a Stubben Aramis, hmmmmmmmmmm. Narrow twist, check, good for short backed horse, check.

We have consistent, decent canter both directions now, yay! And building strength. That only took 1 1/2 years. Working on slowing the trot a smidge ( I let it get too fast-he has 1 cadence that is correct), keeping him active before we lose any activity, smooth changes of direction and shifting the weight from one shoulder to the other, half circles, transitions, transitions, transitions, and more lateral work. And having him move off my leg when I ask, no nagging. I know there's more stuff with him... For me, keeping my knees down and relaxed which translates to heels not pinching up, hands together and quiet (the more we ask for, the more I like to manipulate), and no blocking as always.

Still trail riding and doing poles clinics with him. The hacking is so good for his conditioning. He trots and canters like a big boy now. He even had 3 days off and went on a trail ride and was a perfect gentleman. So proud!! He needs to realize poles are nothing and just go over them. We are getting there. He jumps just fine but we are focusing on the poles right now and have been through the winter.

And I got a body protector for hunter paces and XC playing. Good timing as we are looking forward to the spring sugar rush. :)

blob

Postby blob » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:59 pm

I'm trying to have a productive couple of weeks before I head back to europe for 2.5 weeks -- though I suppose with everything going on, that trip might be canceled. It would be dependent on the client and if they choose not to meet with people in person. So, i'll have to wait and see.

I've been having some great moments with RP. He is getting stronger and starting to carry himself more. This is most noticeable in the canter, where i can get a few strides at a time where he feels really under himself and up in front. Looking forward to when he can sustain that canter for more than a 20 meter circle (or some days, just a five strides or so). I feel good about the direction the trot work is taking, but he is often getting behind the bit some and sometimes also getting chompy. I'm trying not to worry about this in the long term--I think he is trying to find his strength and balance right now. But we may not be ready to show until we get that strength. Ran through t-3 test yesterday and have given myself some test-related homework: practice centerlines! RP can get wiggly and he's so sensitive that I have to be careful not to overcorrect if he starts drifting one way. I also need to practice coming out of stretch trot after only a circle. He has a good stretch trot, but usually i do it for a lot longer than a single 20 meter circle. When I only have that much time I need to make sure my stretch down stays steadier in rhythm and that the come up is easier.

MM's boett sweet itch blanket has arrived. I've tried it on for size, but haven't made her live in it yet, only because we've had so much rain and it's not quite warm enough that she can get wet under the blanket and not feel cold. Though, next week gets up to lows around 60. So, I might have her start living in it then, so she's used to it for when I go out of town. I was also able to get a couple of days of trailer loading practice with her again. We still have ways to go, but she is making progress and is certainly more comfortable with the trailer. I'm hoping i can make it out this afternoon for one more session before my friend takes her truck back. Once she gets more seamless with this step-up, I'll have to get her used to a ramp again also, which will be the harder task, i think.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:00 pm

Annabelle has been turned out for a short time 3 days in a row and hasn't killed herself! Trotting and cantering in the slightly sloped outdoor arena is going to be very good for her, and I'm feeling more confident about pushing her forward, so her fitness should start getting much better.

I'd given up on lunging Tesla over winter, but decided to try again to figure it out. I'm having to work her a little more in a western style on a shorter line, but she is learning quickly to give me more space. Once she's consistently staying out on the line at a walk, I'll start asking for trot and get that solid. She already knows how to lunge, she's just a little too smart at finding ways out of it. I think I've found someone to help me start her, and I'll hopefully start taking lessons with her as well, so that's motivating me to figure out this lunging thing finally with my weird horse.
Keep calm and canter on.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:39 pm

Got the horses out this weekend but...

Rudy's back was a little sore--no doubt from "stallion fighting" with Tio and all the other stupid Spring Sillies stuff those two come up with. Anyways, I took him on a nice ride out at the walk and let him decide when (or if) he wanted to trot. At mile 2 he finally broke into a lovely, swingy trot and we happily headed home. Didn't bother to try arena work as he was just so happy after our ride.

Tio is still on the disabled list but I tacked him up anyways since he looked so sound out in the pasture. On the lunge in my arena he was clearly short-striding right hind in the trot and it got more pronounced the longer he trotted so I stopped. Took him for a hand walk down the road, down the hill and along the RR tracks for a ways, then back up to the hay field across from my arena. There, I lunged him again and he was perfectly sound! From that I conclude that he definitely tweaked his stifle and that riding will be restricted to walk only for at least the next month or so. Oh well.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:34 pm

Despite the rain, I was able to get a lesson this morning. We worked further on developing the right tempo and engagement at all three gaits. Junior is definitely starting to look more like a second level horse though we still have quite a ways to go to develop the carrying power and strength he really needs at this level. For example we worked back and forth between medium and collected canter. Though he really hasn't found a true medium canter, he is beginning to understand the concept of staying up and open while moving more forward and not necessarily pulling himself along faster with the front end surging forward in a hectic manner. He also is starting to give some clear transitions downward even though this too will continue to be a work in progress. The greatest challenge I have is thinking of just building the power within him to create the medium gait so that he lengthens in the neck (and thus frame) but not allow faster and longer so that his hind end is left trailing behind. Junior lifts more through the withers naturally at the canter but I definitely have to continue to develop the concept in the trot. We are certainly not going to have it for the show this weekend; but if I can continue to work on the correct idea and get the correct response even if not good enough (able to be sustained) for great scores I'll be happy.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:15 am

Our first lesson back this afternoon. Laddie is feeling quite fabulous.

A bit too fabulous... I hear you on the Spring Sillies, Sue B! "Just touch him lightly with the whip to activate that hind end a little" got a tail swish and stomp (usually we get an "OK, I can do that!) followed by the most amazing trot ever, which had trainer on her feet clapping her hands, which spooked the silly old fool so he took off across the arena in full-blown bronc mode, for the second time in the lesson. Glad of those silicone full seats today! However, he proved to all of us that trot can be summoned up!

The young woman who is going to ride him for me a couple of days a week was watching. She looked a little wide-eyed at the whole spectacle. I recommended to her that she longe him before she rides tomorrow... (She's actually very capable, done a lot of good work with starting quarter horses, and taken dressage quite seriously, but not used to the size and momentum of a big horse in full yeehaw mode. Just as well she's an athletic ski patroller in real life.)

Walker gets to move to civilization in the next couple of days, once we can dig my trailer out--the thaw has set in here and his run-in at home has flooded, and we don't have the bandwidth to deal with it, so I'm taking him to Laddie's barn for a crash course in manners and fitness for the next 6 weeks or so, before he moves to his new permanent digs--I found a nice low-key place for him which is basically a trail barn with a thousand acres of open land and trail access about 10 minutes from the new house. My only concern is that they have tiny Paso Finos as opposed to my big brute. However she has shuffled things around so he will get his own private turnout. We shall see how it goes and whether it offers enough structure for him to not turn into Mr. Studly Bastard. I'd love to keep the two of them in the same barn permanently, but it's just too expensive, unfortunately.

So, a busy weekend coming up in my horsey life.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:04 pm

We have begun some cross training with a (so far) good H/J trainer who understands 1) this is a dressage horse and 2) this is a dressage horse! We are working over trot and canter poles for the time being. I am learning to be straighter in the saddle, harder for me to do in a jumping saddle in a half-seat. I have also been able to feel the lack of straightness in my horse, something I had become more or less used to. I am also discovering just how sensitive he can be to my aids. We are enjoying it tremendously and both of us are having fun. The trainer rode him for the first time yesterday. She absolutely loved him. She came by twice while I was grooming after the lesson to tell me how lucky I am to have such a nice horse. :)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:43 pm

That sounds like fun, Kathy! I think all dressage horses should jump at least a little. Gridwork improved my little Appaloosa's canter so much (she couldn't even canter in the field when I started her). Thanks for the reminder that it can be poles on the ground. I've been a little bummed that I won't be jumping Annabelle again until at least fall out of an abundance of caution for her tendon injury. Of course she catches serious air sometimes on the lunge line and it doesn't seem to hurt her.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:56 am

I have had more horse time which is nice. An easy way to pleasantly social distance myself ;) . My barn is a very low traffic pleasure barn so I feel totally fine out there and often never see another person while I am out there. I do have to be careful as I do help my 90 y.o. mother a lot. Unfortunately we lost the good fight with her little dog and had to euthanize her. Mom is a stoic tough old lady and is sad but seems to be doing well on her own.

I have been on my horse once. I apologized to her for the weight gain :lol: . I am sure she understood :roll: . She seemed to handle me fine and we did all but about 2 minutes at walk and that 2 minutes was trot which was quite lively and her transitions very prompt. The last couple of times I have gone out, I have just chucked her in the round pen and did some liberty work. The first session was a lot of her telling me what she thought of my requests. At liberty you get a lot of opinions :lol: . The next time, the arenas were being worked so I did another liberty session and that one was actually productive in a training sense and not just some exercise. I was even able to end with some half steps. Pretty cool to see her "put herself together" with no strings attached. I have these two cool little whips that the seller calls liberty sticks. I put her against the fence, tap one whip on her haunches and use the other in front of her to convey that I don't want her to surge forward. We got some nice even steps. She doesn't have a lot of amplitude...not sure she ever will as she just doesn't have the strongest physique not to mention she isn't in great condition yet but she sure tried. Her outline is very correct despite no reins or lines. She seemed to be quite proud of herself.

Hopefully, I can get back to riding very soon. I just changed gyms and the new one closed down the afternoon I joined :( . It is at a retirement community and I totally understand them closing it down to non residents. I have a nice rowing machine and I am just going to have to partake of what I have.

Happy riding all. At least we have a hobby that we can continue...at least most of us. That really helps in these challenging times.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:27 pm

After reading blob's thread in Tack, I decided to pick up a baucher to try on Maia. After one ride, I'm a fan, but we'll see how it continues to work.

The circumference is a touch thicker than anything else I've used on her, and the first 5 minutes were us walking around, mouth wide open. But she got it all sorted, and was steadier on the bit. More importantly, I had more control at the canter. She's picture perfect :roll: if we stick to circles or lengthenings .... but the moment I throw in simple changes, I have a fire breathing dragon on my hands.

I absolutely cannot afford to come off right now and further damage my hip, so I've been doing one rein stops ... but my preferred big "stop now" half halt worked perfectly yesterday. WIN!!

I'll see how it goes this afternoon.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:39 pm

great to read everyone's updates!

Heddylamar, keep us posted on that baucher!

I'm in 'social distancing' mode, as many of you are also, i'm sure. My work is pretty easy to do from home and I'm an introvert, so overall it is an easier transition for me and one that might even lead to more barn time, which would be great. I'm hoping my barn does not stop us from coming, but that could change if anyone gets sick. But in general it's low activity there, so we'll see.

Had some great lessons with both horses recently. Been working on getting a more powerful canter with MM. Her canter is her best gait, but sometimes she kind of phones it in. So, really working on getting that big bounding feel. When we get there, I can feel tons of lift and sit, which is a very cool feeling.
Been working with RP on suppling--lots of serpentines and LYs, which has been going well. He's getting a couple of days off now because i've found he does much better with several days off in a row, rather than them spread out through the week.

In the MOST exciting news I have to share--MM has been loading into the trailer first time with no hesitation the last several days. and staying in there calmly (with hay for now). It's still my friend's step up and we'll have to transition to training on a ramp again. But it feels so good to have this clear progress.

She is also being a good girl about tolerating her boett blanket. Fingers crossed it helps with allergies this year.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:08 pm

Stop the presses y'all. WE RODE IN THE OUTDOOR. MULTIPLE TIMES!!!

March Outdoor.JPG
March Outdoor.JPG (216.29 KiB) Viewed 23464 times

Normal winters don't see us outside until the first week of April at the earliest. That photo was taken on March 7th!! It's been great to be outside in the larger space and feel the sun.

In terms of riding we've been working through all sorts of young horse excuses. Every day/ride is different so we're making progress to being solidly 'good'. We did have one ride last weekend where she was 100% submission from start to finish. Just to give me a glimmer of what's still in there. :lol:

Our barn is doing our best in terms of virus. Trainer was supposed to be coming up from Florida this weekend for last winter clinic but that's a solid maybe at this point. Others we keep our distance and wash our hands.

I am trying my own tack experiment, riding without a sheepskin half-pad. Last saddle fitting we talked and the saddle is good fit to her and the fitter said raising it up on the half-pad might not be necessary. I'm wondering at this point if it's making it too tight. Might be a piece of the histrionics puzzle or it could just be a rising 5 year old mare.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:46 am

Our barn is closed to boarders for at least 7 days. Ugh.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:51 am

Moutaineer wrote:Our barn is closed to boarders for at least 7 days. Ugh.

Ugh, I suspect this kind of announcement is coming for many of us. I am thankful, however, that I am currently not at a busy lesson barn as I have been in the past. There are only about 5 of us that come and ride and usually at different times. But of course, things are changing rapidly each day.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:19 pm

Blob kudos for all the hard work you've been doing with the trailer loading, I'm glad it's paying off! Aleuronx, that's awesome! The weather has definitely been kind to us!

I'm also working from home which is alleviating some of the work issues that I wrote of earlier - I have things in the works for a change, so I'm in wait and see mode. The first show of the season is cancelled, as I'm sure many more will be - so we're just concentrating on getting me riding fit again and continuing to work on the changes with Miro. He's proving to be a bit of a challenge. The right to left is perfect - nice united lofty step, pretty confirmed. The left to right wants to be late, and when it's clean it's accompanied by a short double step behind - the problem is stemming from the way that he braces his neck, so just the other day we tried them on a circle so that he couldn't throw the shoulder and brace - seemed to work well, so Andrea is going to give that a go for a while to see how that resolves. Depending on when shows open back up again, we may just wait and come out at PSG. He's got all the other work down pat and he finds it easy, so we'll see.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:32 pm

StraightForward wrote:That sounds like fun, Kathy! I think all dressage horses should jump at least a little. Gridwork improved my little Appaloosa's canter so much (she couldn't even canter in the field when I started her). Thanks for the reminder that it can be poles on the ground.

Junior turned 6 this weekend :o The weather was beautiful this weekend for the show. Thankfully the sun came out after the deluge of rain caused us to lose our 200+ year old saguaro that majestically stood in our front courtyard :cry: Our first test on Saturday was second level test 2. Junior came out blazing for a 65+ score. I wasn't surprised though a little disappointed that despite spending much time outside being walked (he's very well behaved and easy) that he did the welsh cob thing and became very tense and tight through his back for the second test despite my attempts to get and keep him supple. We scored a 60 for our second test that day, second 1. I wasn't sure on Sunday what he was going to be like after staying over night two nights in a row at his first official "away" show. He was easy to handle and not too antsy or so I thought....LOL. We rode our first test Sunday morning, second 1 for a 62+ with comments that he was still not supple enough. It felt better to me but the judge didn't agree. I'm still waiting for the video to see... This was the judge who gave me a 65 the day before so I'm sure I'll see what she did. My goal was to at least score better than a 60 in front of the 'tougher - by everyone's assessment' judge on my second level test 2 and final test of the show. In the warm up all I worked on (which was true for the entire show but with even more determination ;)) was suppling especially since 'this' judge's comments from the day before were to work on both lateral and longitudinal suppleness to improve the scores. Well we got a 63 and change and Junior felt so much better. Of course I still got comments of demanding even more suppleness from him which we'll work on but I also think I found Junior's TRUE talent, hence the quote above LOL. While cleaning my stall on Saturday. I used the wheel barrow to block the entry of the stall. Junior wanted out but I told him to wait and I'd take him for a walk after I was done mucking out the stall. He was standing at his hay bag eating during this 'conversation'. Well he took one look at me, shook his head (honest, I swear) headed towards the door. I said, "don't you dare!" and he had the most beautiful bascule as he sailed over the wheel barrow out into the aisle way. I hollered, "loose horse! and he was found at the closest alfalfa bale - LOL typical stinker pony.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:13 pm

I'm also in work-from-home mode, which is both frustrating (as I battle for bandwidth with 50k of my coworkers) and satisfying (as I take my lunch break via a walk with my dogs). Can't fault the commute, though, and I'd be lying if I said my personality didn't fit right in with the social-distancing lifestyle.

Prior to this week, I've been working like a maniac and the horses have taken a backburner. Too early to say how working from home will change that, but I'm cautiously optimistic (which feels like a terrible sentiment to hold in an international health crisis, but there you go).

Goals for the next 6ish weeks:
- Survive the hair explosion that's currently underway. I would have sworn up and down for days that Queso didn't actually grow a winter coat, and I would have been proven a dead-wrong liar. There's so much palomino hair filling all the local birds' nests.
- Keep a 5d/wk fitness routine: working from home makes it hard to a) avoid snacking, and b) take my morning workouts seriously. I've vowed to myself (quietly) that I'll keep up the pre-work stationary biking and have added some light yoga to my "coffee breaks".

For the horses:
Queso:
- Introduce halfpass. We've played with this at the walk, and it's been surprisingly a non-event. So over the next several weeks, I'm going to play with it at the trot and (if nothing dramatic happens) canter.
- Trot and canter lengthenings: now they're introduced, so it's time to see if they can be solidified and improved. Incorporate some amount of lengthened and compressed trot/canter work in every working ride
- Ride 4x/week

Kiwi:
- Regain fitness: ride 4x/week
- Revisit half-steps
- 4- and 3-tempi changes

Stay safe and healthy, everyone!

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:54 pm

exvet wrote:...but I also think I found Junior's TRUE talent, hence the quote above LOL. While cleaning my stall on Saturday. I used the wheel barrow to block the entry of the stall. Junior wanted out but I told him to wait and I'd take him for a walk after I was done mucking out the stall. He was standing at his hay bag eating during this 'conversation'. Well he took one look at me, shook his head (honest, I swear) headed towards the door. I said, "don't you dare!" and he had the most beautiful bascule as he sailed over the wheel barrow out into the aisle way. I hollered, "loose horse! and he was found at the closest alfalfa bale - LOL typical stinker pony.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:39 pm

Aleuronx wrote:Stop the presses y'all. WE RODE IN THE OUTDOOR. MULTIPLE TIMES!!!

Feels great, doesn't it?! :mrgreen:

Our outdoor was juuuust dry enough to W/T/C safely this morning, especially on the outside track. So Annabelle got some good fitness work in. She's level-headed enough now that I'm feeling safe to kick on when she starts getting stuck and twisting herself up. Once she had the forward, I got some nice trot and a few lovely T/C transitions both ways, so I know it's in there beyond the mental baggage. Fingers crossed I will be able to start lessons with a new local trainer in 2-3 weeks.
Keep calm and canter on.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:40 pm

Hi all!
Doing ok, for now staying home and not visiting the barn as we have had community transmission of COVID 19. Everything is shut down, etc.
Anyways, my horse is doing fantastic, love love the "new" barn and community. I put my horse in training for the time being to get some extra work for now.
We are definitely building better thoughness and carriage. You guys know that I got a new saddle Custom Laguna XR last fall and it's been stupendous. I love it so much!
I hope to get back to my regular schedule and show season, time will tell :) Overall I hope to show a very very nice second level this year, it feels like it's finally getting easier. I was/am stuck on the second level hill but we seem to now see the top of the hill (more or less) as much as one can say that in this sport. I made a change to using two trainers now and that was key. I have an in house and my biomechanics trainer. Both complement each other and work well with my horse. They just LOVE him....

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:24 pm

Go Junior!! That's too funny exvet. My lessons have been going well. Trot is getting back to his big boy trot, I'm over my winter escapade and moving forward. Canter is really coming along, transitions, transitions, transitions. Much more steady in our work. I still need to not mess with my hands and keep the forward at the correct cadence, arghhhhhhh!

I had a jumping clinic with the mare I get to hunt on Saturday. My goal was relaxation and we achieved it. I was really stiff with her last year and I want to be relaxed for my guy when we do poles or baby fences so working on me for that. Pic because I have one. Dagny is awesome, an Irish draft mare.
Attachments
_DSC9061.jpeg
Dagny
_DSC9061.jpeg (85.06 KiB) Viewed 23359 times

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:29 am

Hi everyone!! The word of the month for me is "connection". WOrking on Bravo taking a true and consistent connection - his trick is to slightly drop his back and poof no connection. Getting him to work truly from his haunches and over his back ..... so I am riding mostly on the snaffle, using too much inside rein to get him TO the outside one then balancing him. He hates it. (I know cause he grinds his teeth when he is working hard, he came with that). Today got some good transitions without a dropped connection - now working on adding halts with his haunches really under him rather than out back. It's all connected (pun intended).
It's mid-80s here (yuck) and I am lucky to have my guys at home. Most of Ocala is very quiet -many restaurants are closed and I'm trying to stay home as much as possible... and if I have to go out I do it in the early morning before many folks have been in the stores.
Be safe everyone.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:15 am

I have a handwashing station at the end if the barn aisle, banned hugging and kissing, and we are a small barn with barely 4 people at the barn at a time. So just reminding everyone about social distancing, but remain open. I feel like the fresh air, stress relief and exercise are proponents of good health. I suppose if anyone who comes to the barn tests positive I will update policy.

I hope we can get some herd immunity without overwhelming the medical care community. Anyway, I'm still riding and allowing riding.

What about you?

Return to “Dressage Training”