shoes and performance

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: shoes and performance

Postby blob » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:43 am

Pulling up this old thread with an update. I did decide to try shoes with MM. We started with hind only (after discussion with the farrier). We did two cycles of that and it did seem like it was making some difference. But I wanted to see what what it would be like for her to have all 4. So, she's now she's about halfway through her first cycle with all 4 shoes and the front shoes have been quite interesting. It's definitely changed the way she moves (more dramatically than the hinds did), but not necessarily for the better...

It seems to have improved the canter some, but it has made her trot worse--more choppy, more knee action with a shorter stride. I need to get more video, but it appears it might be improving our changes. So that makes it a tough thing to decide. I will give it two cycles before i make any decisions as I'm not sure how much is her getting used to it v. front shoes aren't right for her. But if it is in fact helping her changes, but hurting her trot that will make it a very tough call...

khall

Postby khall » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:06 pm

Blob you can always go to aluminum shoes. Lighter so less action.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:37 pm

Having snappy, trappy going breeds that can (and some will) take advantage of the weight 'reaction', I'll second what khall suggested. Also, my guys have plain ole keg shoes. On their first shoeing, yes, there's a 'bit' more up front as they get used to the shoes but eventually training wins out and a longer stride (if they have it naturally) returns in time.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:46 pm

exvet wrote: On their first shoeing, yes, there's a 'bit' more up front as they get used to the shoes but eventually training wins out and a longer stride (if they have it naturally) returns in time.

the 'if they have it naturally' is the tricky part. Her trot is her worst gait and length of stride has ALWAYS been an issue, and so losing the bit we had is not ideal, ha. But I will give it at least 2 full cycles before I decide and then could try with aluminum shoes--thanks for the tip, Khall!

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:18 pm

That's tricky blob. I found Ding's trot changed too, shorter and higher but even being friesian, he didn't have much in the first place so it hasn't been too much bother.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:27 pm

Junior also suffers from a higher than longer trot stride much to my chagrin when it comes to test scores. I find him much more comfortable with front shoes though despite his excellent feet when it comes to the type of trails we negotiate regularly; so, I'll take a few points lower in score for a sound happy horse any day.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:52 am

off topic a bit, but I have learned to show short stride horses at a slightly slower tempo but keep the hind engaged. shoes msy make them comfortable and often they get quicker. try slower with more power

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:10 pm

Chisamba wrote:off topic a bit, but I have learned to show short stride horses at a slightly slower tempo but keep the hind engaged. shoes msy make them comfortable and often they get quicker. try slower with more power

We've been working on exactly that and it has done two things - helped our trot become more cadenced so that we at least get 6-7s on movements done in the trot and usually a 6-7 on submission (more relaxed back as a result) and our collected canter is getting really good. Unfortunately our walk still sucks. Junior had a beautiful over track as a two year old and then lost it - still short backed (not like he lengthened when he grew) but little to no overstep even when getting him to stretch real low into the bridle - better but barely perceptible swing.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:33 pm

Yes, all good thoughts! Though, it's a bit of a challenge as I don't think she actually IS more comfortable with the front shoes. We had no soundness or discomfort issues without shoes, this was more to see if it helped with performance. And I thinkt he hind shoes did, it's just the front shoes I"m not sure about. She's also tricky because she has a very active hind end (with and without hind shoes), so while without shoes she doesn't have a particularly long stride, she actually has a trot that scores well other than extensions. Now with the shoes her trot quality is substantially less-- at least right now while she is still figuring them out. And if I had to guess, i think she is not very comfortable in the front shoes right now if only because she's not used to them as she's not using her body very well with them. Bodyworker found lots to work in on the shoulder, which isn't usually the case. But again, I want to give her two cycles at least before I make any decisions.

And of course further investigation also on hold because she has pulled one of her shoes and i'm waiting for the farrier to be able to come out and tack it back on. So, still much to figure out/assess--including whether keeping shoes on will prove to be a problem. Grr.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:18 pm

Yes, sometimes it is hard. I know that the last time Kyra was shod (eons ago), I couldn't wait to get the shoes off (at least in the front). She looked like a Hackney (no offense intended, lovely horses/ponies) but that wasn't her natural action and not one I wanted.

I do a little compromise and work her in boots about 6-7 months of the year when it is dry, hard and rocky. She definitely is more confident in her movement in boots during this time of the year but the boots do not affect her "action". Sometimes she is a little klutzy with a new pair until she wears the break over where she wants it. The next pair, I am going to assist the break over with a rasp. Yes, I would have to show without boots but most of the venues around here, the footing in several degrees better than our home arena and she would have no problem with a more consistent and well-groomed footing. In your case, it sounds like she appreciates the more stable platform of a shoe behind. Do as you are doing (give her a couple cycles) and see. Hopefully the fronts stay on better than this first try.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:44 pm

blob wrote:Yes, all good thoughts! Though, it's a bit of a challenge as I don't think she actually IS more comfortable with the front shoes. We had no soundness or discomfort issues without shoes, this was more to see if it helped with performance. And I thinkt he hind shoes did, it's just the front shoes I"m not sure about. She's also tricky because she has a very active hind end (with and without hind shoes), so while without shoes she doesn't have a particularly long stride, she actually has a trot that scores well other than extensions. Now with the shoes her trot quality is substantially less-- at least right now while she is still figuring them out. And if I had to guess, i think she is not very comfortable in the front shoes right now if only because she's not used to them as she's not using her body very well with them. Bodyworker found lots to work in on the shoulder, which isn't usually the case. But again, I want to give her two cycles at least before I make any decisions.

And of course further investigation also on hold because she has pulled one of her shoes and i'm waiting for the farrier to be able to come out and tack it back on. So, still much to figure out/assess--including whether keeping shoes on will prove to be a problem. Grr.

It wouldn't hurt to get some shoeing radiographs when the farrier is out for the next reset. We have issues with keeping my horse's toe short enough to help align his bony column, but my farrier has said she could make some slight changes to see if we could slow the breakover a little bit to get less knee in the trot. With shoeing radiographs, you could see if you can get away with a bit longer toe or the shoe a bit more forward and help with that quick breakover feeling.

Also, if you are going to do the experiment, I'd put shoes on behind too. Those helped my horse a ton in the collected work. And with another horse, he was just slightly sensitive on the arena sand and shoes all around really helped his comfort.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:22 pm

tlkidding wrote:
Also, if you are going to do the experiment, I'd put shoes on behind too. Those helped my horse a ton in the collected work. And with another horse, he was just slightly sensitive on the arena sand and shoes all around really helped his comfort.

She already has shoes behind! And those I will likely keep. She went from barefoot to me trying her with hinds only (farriers recommendation) and then I wanted to see how she did with all 4. She might not keep the fronts, but I likely will keep the hinds

Return to “Dressage Training”