Horse shopping, how did you know what you want?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Lipsmackerpony88
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Horse shopping, how did you know what you want?

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:20 pm

Yeah I will be interested to see him on the lunge for sure, I think it will be very telling. Horses sometimes tend to go a bit quieter with me too and I'm always a little more cautious the first ride (for good reason I don't know if you guys remember in Kansas when I rode a horse that was a bolter!) It will be really interesting to see how he is in the lunge and then for a second ride.

Otherwise if I do pass, I'm out of prospects in this area :( at this point I might give up for a bit and lease something for a few months and see then. It's a frustrating market.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:47 pm

Well I was told I could come see the Andy cross much more but now the owners (not the trainer) are saying for a second ride or any additional rides it will cost me $90 ... :0

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:56 pm

Wow that's ridiculous, I guess they don't want to sell him very much.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:34 pm

And he's $7,500 for what in reality is a grade horse because there's no papers and no verification of linage. They came up with the idea of an Andalusian because of a DNA test which I've heard isn't very accurate.

I think that's pretty high given where he's at in training... But if I really liked him I was going to suck it up and pay him because the market sucks anyways. But these fees are kind of turning me off! The one time I'm at the owner (before this guy was for sale, doing something else at this farm) She was a pretty rude person. Now I'm a little hesitant to deal with her on the sale too.
Last edited by Lipsmackerpony88 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:03 pm

Ugh, that would be pretty discouraging. I could see if the trainer was charging them an extra fee to show the horse each time. Maybe they think you aren't a serious buyer and just want free rides?

I think a lot of sellers are just being obnoxious and going for top dollar right now. :(
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:18 pm

StraightForward wrote:Ugh, that would be pretty discouraging. I could see if the trainer was charging them an extra fee to show the horse each time. Maybe they think you aren't a serious buyer and just want free rides?

I think a lot of sellers are just being obnoxious and going for top dollar right now. :(

Maybe but they are out of town and have only met me once and I doubt they remember who I even am. So the trainer is showing him to me and I have bought a horse from the trainer before (the one who 7 months later showed that he had Wobblers and I had to euthanize.)

I totally got tire kickers and I can especially see it for a more schooled horse. But who in their right minds goes and joy rides three-year-old horses that have barely been started under saddle?? Not me ha ha! I don't mind the greenies but they are more risky and a lot more work to ride at this point. I could totally see it if this was a third or fourth ride. Although I've rarely even done a third or fourth ride unless it was with a trial that I paid. And I've usually bought the horse...

But I think you're right I think this is another way to just get some more moolah since the market is so hot.
Last edited by Lipsmackerpony88 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:21 pm

I probably will still go see him again but I'm going to go see the horse that's 5 minutes away from me first before paying out $90 for the second ride (also was informed it would be in a group lesson, with much older horses, jumping.)

The other horse is a quarter horse, has papers, still young and green but a little more time under saddle. He actually sounds similar personality wise and actually has a nice neck for a quarter horse/dressage. And the seller specifically said to come out and ride him a few times because she always wants to make sure it's a good fit. No fee!

khall

Postby khall » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:30 pm

That’s just odd. Horse people are cray cray sometimes!

Keep us posted

Kelo1
Novice

Postby Kelo1 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:31 pm

That ridiculous fee is so odd. It's one thing to pay a normal lesson fee, maybe, to the trainer for using his/her time, or a partial one if they're teaching another lesson while you're riding. But especially considering you've bought from the trainer before (and that it ultimately didn't end well) you'd think the trainer would nix any such behavior, and $90 is ridiculously high for what you're doing. I'd avoid the situation myself, they apparently don't want to sell to you, and there's always another horse.

Speaking of...good luck looking at the other new prospect!

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:41 pm

There is that personality type that expects to be screwed over and ends up screwing over other people preemptively... wonder if that's at play here.

I empathize with not wanting your sales horse to turn into a free-lease via excessive trial rides, but $90/ride feels steep. Given any reasonable alternative horse purchases, I'd choose the one whose connections aren't actively monetarily punishing normal horse-buying behavior.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:03 pm

Kelo1 to be clear The fee isn't the trainers She is just working for the owner who is also a trainer. She wasn't aware that there was going to be a fee and originally told me I could come see him as much as I want. And then the owners told her absolutely not that I needed to pay a fee. She's explain that I've worked with her before and that I'm not a tire kicker but the whole thing definitely puts me off a bit.

But yes I find the whole thing ridiculous a bit outrageous. I can see the lesson fee but the horse use fee for $35 just is very ridiculous

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:04 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:There is that personality type that expects to be screwed over and ends up screwing over other people preemptively... wonder if that's at play here.

I empathize with not wanting your sales horse to turn into a free-lease via excessive trial rides, but $90/ride feels steep. Given any reasonable alternative horse purchases, I'd choose the one whose connections aren't actively monetarily punishing normal horse-buying behavior.

From what I know about the owner I would say you were right. Very paranoid about all kinds of things from what I've heard.

I'm going to see a quarter horse on Saturday and he also looks nice so we will see!

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:49 pm

Well that certainly is a strange situation - time will tell how that works for the seller.

I recently saw a seller site who refuses to do videos but insists you visit in person. However, you must send a video of yourself riding prior to the appt to be approved. Sellers can do what they want........

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:56 pm

Josette, I agree. I think it's just so odd for only a second ride. I can see the third ride or fourth ride. I'm very very honest with people and have stopped practically mid ride before to tell them it just wasn't my horse and thanks for their time!

And I actually do usually send people videos of me riding. I just think it's nice, especially with green horses. But sellers not having any video, would be a big nope for me!

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:26 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:
Ponichiwa wrote:There is that personality type that expects to be screwed over and ends up screwing over other people preemptively... wonder if that's at play here.

From what I know about the owner I would say you were right. Very paranoid about all kinds of things from what I've heard.

I'm going to see a quarter horse on Saturday and he also looks nice so we will see!

My personal philosophy is to (where possible) avoid giving money to a-holes. Sorry that one didn't work out but hope the QH works for you!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:46 pm

Ponichiwa, yeah sometimes I get rubbed the wrong way and it can nearly kill the deal for me. It's not about the money, more the idea of the fee! We will see. Hopefully the QH will work out and I can deal with a more grounded seller.

MsM
Greenie

Postby MsM » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:52 pm

It would be nice to deal with a more "normal" (for horse people!) seller. Still, if this one checks your boxes better than the QH, I would grit my teeth and try to find a reasonable way.

The seller of my current horse was a bit squirrelly. Even after I thought we had a deal she decided my one of my trainers should come from two states away and "spend a couple of days" When that wouldnt happen she wanted me and the BO/other trainer to commit to a couple of days. Eventually we visited and I had a couple of lessons on one day and the deal was done.

In the end I am glad I stuck it out and we found a way.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:07 am

I definitely won't pass on him just because of the fee/owners. But I was already rearranging my very busy day and paying for puppy daycare to be able to drive up for that second ride. It just made sense to reschedule and go see the QH first. (Which don't let the fact that he's a quarter horse for you I've seen many really nice ones in the dressage ring including one of my own.) Then I can go see the other guy again on an easier day.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:08 pm

I tried the QH today!! I'm on my way to jumping lesson right now so I don't have a ton of time unfortunately. We only rode him in the round pen but the lady said I'm welcome and to ride him in her outdoor arena and also she's willing to trailer him out as well...

The lady is a barrel racer although a good one. There is some pros and cons anytime you like at a horse that's been started Western. Of course she did not use my type of bit of choice but he was neither ultra light in the bit nor heavy. I really like his canter! He does lean a bit on the inside shoulder but the barrel racer is explaining to me the kind of encourage that with a lot of inside bend. But he was that perfect middle as far as you put the leg on and he will go but he's not bolting off either. But just as well you aren't kicking the hell out of him either.

He worked nicely off the seat and cantered right off as well as coming back down with me sitting deep and squeezing a bit with my inner thighs, reins.

He's still very green and I would also want to put him in training for a bit but he was very enjoyable. I think overall his start understood all was pretty good besides some of the more westerny type stuff.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:22 pm

Sounds promising lipsmacker!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:00 pm

That does sound promising! Barrel racer version of inside bend is really diving onto the shoulder to turn and burn around the barrels, so that would definitely be a retraining thing, but certainly possible. It doesn't sound like he's gone too far down the barrel training path though.

Annabelle was in a mullen curb bit when I bought her as a green 4 year old. She was able to learn contact before too long using a Sprenger NovoContact bit, but she was just being ridden 90% on a loose rein, not being bumped back off the bit as many western riders do. I think that would be harder to retrain, regardless of what they have in the horse's mouth.
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:51 am

Straightforward, luckily she hasn't really patterned him on barrels yet. I think she's done a slow trot around them but that's it. But from what she was saying they definitely kind of throw them onto the shoulder. He wasn't too bad about that and I've ridden green horses that were much worse about it than he was even.

I think he was in a mullen mouth curb. He also didn't really seem like he had been bumped off the bit so I don't think it would be too hard to retrain to go into the contact.

I still also like the "Andalusian cross" But the quarter horse is definitely a further along and I think they are very similar personality wise. Personally I think they Andy cross has a better trot but I think the QH has a better canter and walk... We all know which one's the most important!

I'm going to go back for second ride on the quarter horse. And I may suck it up and pay the $90 and go try the Andy Cross too. But I think either of these could be a good prospect to vet and see what happens.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:52 am

Oh the biggest barrel racing habit I think we would need to overcome is coming to a halt straight from the canter! I don't think he even thinks that trotting in the downward transition is an option. Just straight to halt. He can definitely sit on his butt though lol

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:15 pm

Well I really like the QH actually. He's gotten a decent amount of TB in his bloodlines too (and Kelo approved his pedigree for what I want :) )

He's a but insecure, a tad spooky but not dramatic. A scoot to the side and you just add some inside leg and goes back to work. Just a baby, needs more miles. His trot is his weak link. I personally like his canter.

He's not the most uphill prospect I've seen. But I enjoy him, he seems sound and with a good brain. So thinking of calling my vet and just seeing where this goes!

blob

Postby blob » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:17 am

That sounds exciting!!

demi

Postby demi » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:19 am

Yep, sounds exciting!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:00 pm

Vet appointment on Friday! Feeling pretty excited. A little nervous but I think that's just my personality plus I've obviously been through a lot the last few years losing a young horse.

I'm posting video. I'm not sure if the link will work for everybody because YouTube decided that my videos me riding violate codes and aren't suitable for children!?? I'll be honest I also am a little nervous because I don't know if anyone will like him as a Dressage prospect. But he has three pure gates and seems like he has a good mind. I enjoyed riding him. The seller seems really honest and easy to work with. To me he seems to be one of the more sound horses I've looked at. So I think it's time to take a leap. Even if he's just a fun project for a few years. We can just see what happens.

I'm sitting the trot. I don't think I should be sitting for his age and I don't think it helps out his gaits. I am only sitting because I felt really really awkward in the saddle, stirrups didn't feel like they went short enough for me and I feel like I'm sitting on the top of a 2x4. So I just thought sitting was going to be easier and less awkward! I like really ridiculous in the canter. I'm really popping out of the saddle but I know things will get better when I can have my own saddle and be comfortable. Poor guy at least was a good boy still.

Also I am not trying to get him round in any way. He's of course been trained at some point to get behind the bit a little bit but it's not too bad. I also think part of it is just nice sitting in the trot and my posture. I truly believe in posting the try and having a horse more up and open into the contact. so something to work on but I'm glad to see a video of me.
https://youtu.be/hNP4cuEm8uc

demi

Postby demi » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:14 pm

I love him! He is quite good looking and his coloring will be very impressive when he sheds out his winter coat. It looked like he had 4 little white socks, too! Hard to tell much from the short vid but he does look to be nicely built and the movement isn’t bad at all. I would surely consider him as an amateur dressage prospect. You sound like you really like him and that is SO important. Good luck with the PPE!!! If it all works out, it will be fun to watch you progress together!

demi

Postby demi » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:17 pm

Just watched again and I think there is a lot of potential in that trot. I’d say for dressage, that’s a way better trot then many QH’s have. And it doesnt even look downhill. And didnt you say he had a good canter and walk?

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:29 pm

Demi yes I'll try to link the video later of walk and canter. I particularly liked the walk and canter on the lunge but I also don't think it's too bad with me on them either. And hopefully my riding will just get better lol

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:33 pm

If you like him, that's the most important thing. He's not a world beater, but none of us have those. How old is he? Height? A price you like? Looking forward to videos of everything.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:40 pm

He's 4 years old (or technically come 4) and 15.1 hands right now But I'm sure he's going to grow a bit more. I'm 5'2" for reference.

I think he's fairly priced for what the market is.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:42 pm

Looks very cute. His neck ties in well so I think it has the potential to build up and look more impressive and help his balance over time. Agree with Demi that there is potential in that trot. Fingers crossed for a good PPE!
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:18 pm

https://youtu.be/Jg_3kkRbukY here's the walk. He wrote a little more pokey out in the arena with a snaffle than he was the other day in the round pen with a curb bit. He just wanted to play and lean on the bit a little but to me that's all very normal for his age anyways.

I wish I had gotten video of his movement in the round pen without a rider cuz I thought that showed his true potential.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:22 pm

https://youtu.be/qPBfpTDPt5g the canter. I'm flopping around a bit up there in the canter, poor guy. I just felt like I was riding on top of a 2x4 in that saddle and I'm sure I wasn't as relaxed and loose as I normally am. That's more performance anxiety than the horse I feel very comfortable with him!

There's a little bobble coming down from the canter. I think that's more just being young But also I think I contributed. I'm glad to see that he came down to the trot because I was worried that he only knew to just come to a straight halt! But I just asked a little bit differently and then got the trot and I was a little surprised too ha ha.

For vetting will be doing all that genetic testing, and I'm sure x-raying feet and hocks and whatever else pops up.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:42 pm

yeah! I like him! you ride him well.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:44 pm

Hes got a nice little canter there! I would totally like to ride him.
what color is he? he could be gold or bay....

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:52 pm

He's buckskin!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:53 pm

And he's got the most adorable huge ears. I love huge ears ha ha. Not that that is the important part but just saying

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:57 pm

Ok I think he looks adorable-- and potentially fun. Fingers crossed for PPE!

blob

Postby blob » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:39 am

i like him quite a bit! looks sensible and a nice mover. I actually think the trot you have in the canter clip is better than the first trot clip you shared. Definitely lots of potential there and seems like a great little partner.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:44 am

Blob, yeah that makes sense. The first time I tried him in a curb, this time (thankfully) in a snaffle. It took me a few minutes to feel him out a bit, riding in a different area and in a different bit. But he did well. I figure what time, consistency, muscle and better tack, things would only go up from here. Hopefully he vets well. :)

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:49 am

https://youtu.be/hNP4cuEm8uc

This one has one if his "spooks" at the beginning. He did try to look again but it was a none issue.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:00 am

There was a spook?

(My husband watched the video of my potential's spook and said "well if you threw you sports car into reverse going 80 miles an hour, you'd get the same response, and you would deserve it just as much."(

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:39 am

Mountaineer, ha ha ha I know. He is more of a "look intensely" type than anything dramatic. He did have a little more of a spook with the owner at the canter and that was also a small scoot sideways and he continued on! I'll take it!
That's what I like to see. Okay you gawk at something or spook a bit but then I want them to let it go and get back to work pretty quickly.

Kelo1
Novice

Postby Kelo1 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:41 pm

I think he's cute!

Looks to me like he wants to be a good little citizen, just green. I agree I think he has a nice canter.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:29 pm

The canter is always what gets me to come see a horse. The mind/soundness is what gets me to vet them!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:21 pm

One of my concerns ( But it isn't a huge concern) is his eyes. Very but on a smaller side and very almond shape. Kind of deep set. My only concern about it is if that contributes to his gawking at stuff. I'll definitely have my that check his eyes really well and I kind of talk to her about his conformation regarding that. I think it's a kind eye though. And he seems really rational willing and sweet so I'm not going to pass over him just because of this reason alone. It's just something I've noticed.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1614606841000_copy_360x480.jpg
FB_IMG_1614606841000_copy_360x480.jpg (83.48 KiB) Viewed 7533 times

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:28 pm

I do love the canter though! And the ears!
Attachments
Screenshot_20210301-154805~3_copy_247x233.png
Screenshot_20210301-154805~3_copy_247x233.png (71.35 KiB) Viewed 7533 times

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:37 pm

I had to watch the video 3 x to find the spook!

Very cute mover. I know what you mean about the eye. Some horse's eyes seems to change as they relax or are settled. Although I have a spooky mare, she does have a gorgeous large eye!

Return to “Dressage Training”