Tell me about your awesome mares

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Lipsmackerpony88
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Tell me about your awesome mares

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:04 pm

I'm ashamed to admit this, but I have a mental block about buying a mare. I have no idea why and I'm trying to be open to one while I'm horse shopping.

I owned a mare as a young preteen. I LOVED her, I would even snuggle up to her while she was laying down and read a book (we owned a farm.) But we were a bad match, we were both too green. I definitely got hurt. She was a bit lazy but I blame me being too green for our issues. That is the only mare I've owned since (besides a foster that we took in.) I've always had geldings.

Now I've ridden a lot of mares for people. I enjoyed them under saddle. I know there are differences between the two genders but I just always felt like I was riding a horse. They are all so individual anyways. I will say some were more aloof. Or some were more spooky/looks. Nothing that was a real issue though.

So I would like to hear about your awesome mares. For some reason I worry I won't bond with a mare, which is rediculous. I know some people who will only own mares!

exvet

Re: Tell me about your awesome mares

Postby exvet » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:21 pm

If you don't have a true affinity for mares (that doesn't mean you don't like specific individuals), I wouldn't sweat it and stick to geldings or stallions if you're so inclined. I prefer stallions to be honest but that is no longer practical for me to own. While currently I'm owned by a group of 4 geldings, I've had some absolutely awesome mares. My son is a mare person and his two best mounts were both mares. One I had purchased from the breeder with little to no training but she had been well handled. I backed/started her and he was trail riding her within a few months. She never put a foot wrong for him and he went on to win many competitive trail events as a junior rider until he got too tall for her. She was sold to a lady in her 70s who wanted a safe trail riding mount. I also showed her in dressage more for fun than anything else because she was a blast to ride. I had close bonds with my broodmares who also had to be ridden and shown. My foundation mare for my breeding program was my absolute best and I miss her to this day. She was a no nonsense type, a boss mare and all I would have to do was think about what I wanted next and she would turn herself inside out to deliver. The only reason I have all geldings and do not own a mare now is because I can't trust myself not to breed a good mare. I would've given my right arm to have kept Junior's full sister who I foaled out in 2012; but, I sold her because I had to downsize, at the time I owned her sire and she's got bloodlines that are difficult to come by in the US that really need to kept going in the breed.................Now she is one I had a very close bond with but that is also because I delivered her. Fortunately for me, Junior is very much like both of his full sisters.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:24 pm

I do prefer mares and I have one. I think intact animals have a bit more of their wits about them (though I'm not up for a stallion like Exvet). That is not a good thing for some people, though :-)

Something to think about: It can be more challenging to board a mare, especially if she is not easy going about turnout buddies. My mare is in solo turnout (she can be evil to some horses, including some mares). But at least she is surrounded by many other paddocks with lots of geldings she can visit with quietly at a distance over an electric fence.

I do think geldings are more consistent, day to day, in their behavior. Many people really appreciate that. There is a reason so many upper level horses across equine disciplines are geldings.

I like the sensitivity and smarts that mares tend to bring to a stronger degree to the relationship. That said, there are hormones and the fall cycles tend to bring out my mare's spookiness and high alert behavior. I find it amusing, but others would not so much.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:25 pm

I agree with exvet that there is no shame in preferring a gelding or a stallion (well, a stallion preference can be a challenge if you don't own your own facility--hard to find boarding options).

having said that. I LOVE MARES. I'm fully a mare person and even though I own a gelding currently and have liked many geldings, I really, really love mares. Some reasons that I love them (these are mostly anecdotal, not science, of course):

*Mares are often very brave. In my experience mares that are difficult or hot or flighty, it's usually not about external things.
*Mares are tough. The most stoic horses I've known in terms of pain have all been mares. A stoic horse isn't necessarily a good thing--it can be hard when a horse doesn't show pain. But it's also tough when a teeny tiny scratch makes a horse hobble around 3 legged lame. I don't know any mares that are big babies about pain
*I don't breed so this isn't really something I care about. But there is always a back-up plan with a good mare. A bad injury on a gelding leaves little options. A bad injury on a mare means she can still find a good home as a broodmare potentially.
*No sheath cleaning!!
*They give you feedback. Yes, they are often stoic about pain. But they also usually make it clear when they like something and when they don't. MM is very obedient but I know when she hates something and is just doing it because i've asked and I know when she REALLY likes something. I like working with a horse who actively has an opinion and POV. This is probably also what some dislike about mares.

And some things I love about my fabulous mare: MM is honestly the most logical horse I've ever known. This is not all because she's a mare, but I do think that plays a part in it. She is very bombproof, but not because she's kind of oblivious, but because she is taking everything in and processing very fast. Because of this, I trust her in a way that I haven't ever trusted another horse. She sees herself as a protecter of her herd. This year when 4th of july fireworks went off near the barn she was the one that stood watch and settled down the scared horses--it was pretty amazing to watch her work in that moment of panic. She is tough tough tough. I'm sure this is partly a mustang thing, but at one of her previous barns there were 5 other mustangs and she and the other mare were much tougher and braver than the geldings. Like Exvet's mare, MM is very no nonsense and it's something I so appreciate. I think there are lot of no nonsense, logical, smart mares out there.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:54 pm

Mares are awesome! Everything I have bred has been a mare, so they chose me! I have never once had an issue with a mare being hormonal or tempermental in a bad way. The worst thing is they pee at everyone (including each other) and get all huggy. They are more bonded with you than geldings, I think, and just so in tune with you! Especially if you like something with more intelligence and having a relationship, I think they are wonderful.

I agree with blob on everything she said. They are tough and smart and think through everything. The only "issue" you may have is that you don't need to ride or do things nearly as obviously or aggressively because they get it the first time. It's like with my husband--I have to say the same thing over and over because he never really pays attention. It took him forever to figure out I hear and understand things the first time and he doesn't need to do the same for me.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:44 pm

I am a mare person. Have been since the mid 80’s. I’ve bought a d bred mares for years and much prefer their workmanlike attitude. Boys/ geldings can be dorks mares not usually. Mares do bond well with their owner some are very gregarious though I do have one cranky pants but only while she is in her stall or eating. Right now I have 4 horses. 3 are mares. I raised all of them from foals and Joplin is 3 rd generation for me.

Rip has cured me of ever wanting a gelding again

My homebred Lusitano X mare Joplin

https://youtu.be/BCzhm_oR-GE
Last edited by khall on Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:06 pm

I had a mare, Rye, but she was very stubborn. My gelding is very affectionate and bonded to people, so that helps. Being mostly arab there is a real sensitivity/clued in feeling like you get with a good mare.

I will probably look for gelding only, at this point.

Side note: I do prefer female dogs vs male dogs, so that is interesting :)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:41 am

I used to consider myself more of a gelding person. But then I ended up with a gelding retired due to permanent lameness (multiple fractures of his mediocarpal bone). Being a boarder who can't afford to keep multiple retirees on the dole, I started buying mares with the idea that they could be moved on as broodmares if needed. None of the five I've had have been "witchy" or whatever the reputation that mares have, but they've all been somewhat different:

1. Echo - little Arabian mare I won in a raffle. She was super sweet and tried hard, more of a reserved personality, quite trainable, but too small for me, so I only ever started her W/T then sold her on.

2. Maya - foundation Appaloosa. My friend called her the Zen Master. Maybe she was just more of an energy conservationist. Also very sweet, and tried hard for me. Usually didn't even notice when she was in heat. I was able to trail ride her on her own when she had about 20 lifetime rides. Super trustworthy, born kids' horse.

3. Rosette - GOV mare (Rascalino/Londonderry). I don't know if I should chalk it up to her gender, but she was very sensitive about things on her body (clippers, water) and threw me when I was starting her. Got into an accident and it mentally fried her. Maybe a gelding could have come back from that more easily? No way to know.

4. Annabelle - Appendix QH mare. She is very sweet, in your pocket type, and pretty smart. When she is in heat, she is actually better to ride, with a little more "sparkle". She gets reactive in new situations, but generally isn't spooky at home.

5. Tesla - Westphalian mare (Don Deluxe/Weltmeyer). Stubborn and bold. She is very opinionated and wants to do things her way. I think it will be worth it if and when I get her on my side. She loves attention, but being told what to do, not so much. A gelding version of this type of horse might be a little easier, but I'm not sure.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:51 am

Through my horse owning life (about 50 years), my tally is 4 mares and 3 geldings. I really have no druthers. They have all been nice horses with good personalities and work ethics.

I did have one mare that developed 'mare' issues that I was sure were pain related. Of course my instructor and a clinician I worked with often said she was just being a bitchy mare. No, I started her and the change in her personality and performance was marked and as I thought about it...cyclic. Poor girl had an ovarian tumor. I had her spayed with both ovaries removed and then for all intents and purposes she was the same as a gelding? The Arab registry (she was 1/2) had a terrible time deciding what to label her and ended up with yelding. She was probably the only one...ever. She did still cycle...but of course, nothing was going to come of it. About a month after her surgery I was able to start riding her and it took another month before she realized she wasn't hurting anymore and I had my nice cooperative mare back with no more balking and kicking out at the leg.

Kyra, my current mare has been special and a bit different. She is has a great disposition and personality except she is very alpha and despite extensive continued to this day ground work, she can take over. I have not been able to convince her that I can consistently make decisions for both of us. It isn't all the time but I have never been around a horse that can be so focused on her environment and at times thinks she needs to know what is going on EVERYWHERE within a mile radius :lol: . Now that I think about it, she tends to get that way when she is in heat. She isn't a squatty/squirty mare but she sure gets lonely if no other horses are around when she is in heat. That is really the only way I can tell...she talks a lot...even under saddle when she is alone. She is not what I would call spooky but darn she can be reactive...which can also be a nice trait for dressage as long as it isn't over expressed. She loves to work and really, really tries.

So for me, I really don't care whether I have a mare or gelding. The current critter happens to be a mare. The geldings I had or worked with were all good citizens too. It (the sex of said critter) is just the package the personality comes with :mrgreen: .

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:15 pm

Tanga your comment about your husband had me rolling on the floor laughing :lol: I can see the similarities

One reason I've been thinking about it is that I've always been a female dog person. They just always seem so smart, attentive and loyal. But we did get a male puppy this summer. I was hesitant because I always thought they were dumb lol. He's actually very smart but is less attentive and loyal than my female. But is awfully sweet, silly and loveable. I'm glad we got him. But I still think my next dog will be a female.

So maybe I can enjoy a good mare too. Maybe I'm a gelding person at heart too. I think I will still look at mares and just see if I click with one.

I loved hearing about all your mares! They a sound great!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:33 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:Tanga your comment about your husband had me rolling on the floor laughing :lol: I can see the similarities

You know it's true!

It's interesting, we have male and female cats, and the females are always smarter and in charge. The dog was a Beagle which is super smart, but you know, a Beagle. We got a Kelpie as a companion, who are supposed to be smart, but she is super stupid, though loyal. When the Beagle died we got a male lab mix from the pound. He's JUST like the Beagle in that he is super smart and sneaky and all about the food, and super obedient when it's what he wants to do.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:40 pm

Tanga, yes I know it's true, I won't tell my husband though ha ha.

Funny enough my male is a Kelpie mix!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:39 pm

My mares are my best buddies.

Joy – sweet, kindly caregiver Triple A QH stock, who'd give you a big "what for?!" if you stepped out of line. But if you were clear, polite, and respectful? She'd do everything you asked. She was a cutting horse when I got her, and I turned her into an eventer. Dressage was never our strong suit, but turn that otherwise sweet, kind-looking mare loose on a jump course? Just close your eyes and hang on. Mom tells a story about some pony clubber who asked her "Why the gag bit?" "Just wait." "Oh. Wow. I see why." :D Joy was fierce on course. She was equally fierce with humans who did not pass the "Joy test." Grab her mouth? Eject. Pull? Eject. OTOH, if you treated her kindly, she was yours.

I took my mom's appy gelding cross county schooling a few times, back when Joy and I were competing. George was a disaster, and it felt more like playing chicken than jumping. Meanwhile, riding my less athletic-looking QH mare? Point, count strides, and go. And if she hesitated a quiet "no, go" was all that was required. She would happily jump anything, even at 26yo.

At 32 yo — after not having been on a trailer in 6 years since an emergency vet trip, and having spent 2 years ruling the roost with my dad "in charge" — I tossed the lead over Joy's back and told her to get into the trailer. She walked right on, no question asked, and was a perfect passenger on the 6+ hour ride to Maryland. Joy and my BO were best buds from the moment they met.

Anzia – Joy's Polish Arab cross offspring missed out on all of her momma's self confidence. Anz requires a trustworthy human security blanket. I was that for many years — and we trained through third level (not really my thing, but Anz was not confident jumping) — until we broke. Now she's my fabulous touch-point. I can jump on her and walk through something I'm muddling with Maia, and immediately refresh my memory. Amusing Anz story: DH and I were in a big car accident, and a friend's teen rode her for a few weeks. After the first ride, I got a text from the teen: how do I steer her? :D I'd trained Anz entirely off my seat.

Training Anzia was a breeze. We'd walk through a movement a few times, then actually ride it, and that was it — she understood. Spookiness or me being a dork was always the impediment to our progress, not Anz's athletic ability. Unfortunately, her anxiety didn't mesh well with shows, so we quit showing at second level. It just wasn't worth the stress. And, frankly, dressage isn't my interest, so it was no huge loss. That's when I got serious about breeding her, and started looking for a suitable TB.

Maia – Anzia's offspring, crossed with Innkeeper (Secretariat/Sue Babe) is a big happy labrador puppy, in horse form. Anz was insanely easy to teach ... but Maia makes her look complicated. Maia's eager to please and happy, all the time. She will do pretty much anything for a skritch. With our trailering accident, I found the downfall — Maia's trust is hard earned. We've finally gotten back to the point where we were 2 years ago.

Neither Maia not Anz need to be sedated for medical care the vet normally twitches or sedates for. I just stand with them and skritch their shoulder. That's it. When I walk out into the pasture and call for either mare, they both come running, and often round up the rest of the herd too.

I am very pro-mare. They're my best friends, and have gotten me through many bad situations in the ring and on trails without hesitation <3

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:01 pm

Love me a good mare!

I just don't find the same connection with a gelding. I've had some very quirky mares, all very special. I enjoy their "personalities" - I like my horses to have a point of view.

A mare is more likely to challenge you to 'learn smarter', as you can't "tell" them to do something. I've expereicned a very difficult task that takes a very long time to learn several times: once mastered, the mare will look at you like "is that all you wanted from me? why didn't you just ask!" ;)

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:26 am

Just echoing the whole "mares watch out for the herd" (which means me!) behavior. It is very clear in all of my mare relationships. That is independent thinking, but it is useful IMO.

I prefer female dogs, too, but currently I have two (silly) boys. If only I had a bitch to keep them in line! (but 2 is my max at a time for dogs).

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:31 am

Maia saved me from a killer squirrel tonight :lol:

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:26 pm

Heddylamar, lucky you!! :lol:

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:32 pm

You brave mare, Maia! Emi saves me from rogue squirrels and deer all of the time. She is also excellent at pointing out cool birds to observe (owls, hawks, falcons, kestrels, woodpeckers...)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:34 am

I have had both. Good mares and bad mares. I suggest you simply do not let gender be a deciding factor. if they are sound healthy rideable and trainable, that's primo.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:12 pm

Chisamba, well yes I'm trying to do that! Obviously if everything was great and we clicked, gender would be no issue. But that little bias is there, just acknowledging it.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:34 pm

As stated I've had all - mares, geldings and stallions. I can't say I've ever had a 'bad' stallion but then that was a conscious effort that is/was easily controlled. I've had only 'good' mares. I know I bond very well with boss mares though the ones I've had that weren't obviously the highest in the pecking order were also very willing, easy to get along with types and that includes the one (and only one) that I had who everyone always knew where 'she was in her cycle, still a very tractable mare. The geldings I've owned and/or produced honestly cover the full spread of the map. At the end of the day, I think we all agree that it's the individual that makes the difference and you know it when you see it/meet it/ride it.

I have only been surprised a couple of times when I've purchased a youngster that I will say I was attracted to but didn't necessarily have a close relationship/bond with in the beginning as to how strongly I became attached later in our relationship.............that being said, I also know to be fair to a horse that has checked all the boxes for me, I must give the relationship at least a year before I make any final decisions. Monty was one of 'those' who I purchased to produce, show and sell on (flip) to help get myself more solidified within the Welsh circles. He was a very 'different' type of personality including being very needy. That part didn't initially endear himself to me; but, when my main ride became sidelined and later had to be put down, Monty had to step up to the plate. He did with flying colors and despite his 'special Ed' tendencies that I had to manage and cater to, became a horse of a lifetime, not just for me but for my daughter, my friend and his current owner. It took a couple of years for me to recognize 'that'. I'm lucky I had the land and a plan he fit into that gave us enough time for me to really give him a chance LOL.........to think I was going to flip him at a young age makes me shudder now.

While I'm the first to say you must use your head in purchasing horses, gut feeling has always, always kept me 'safe'. Biases may keep some doors closed; but, life is short and sometimes you simply have to cater to them in order to avoid regrets. Of course if you have the resources to gamble, you do sometimes hit the jackpot. I've been blessed to have won that lottery more than once and that definitely includes more than one mare in my past.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:10 pm

One weird pattern in my horse life is that I have gotten along with every bay mare i've ever ridden/worked with. I've had a LOT of horses come in and out of my life but there is no other classification like that I can make, with any other color, gender, breed there have been some I've liked and some I haven't. But the bay mares I've known? I've loved them all. That doesn't mean I would want to own all of them, not all of them were necessarily athletic or had comfortable gaits or right for my discipline. But by whatever weird coincidence i've gotten along with all of them. If i had the money and the time, I'd probably have a mini-fleet of bay mares :D

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:49 am

@exvet I hear what you are saying. I would be pretty bummed if I bought something that I didn't like and sold a year later, but of course it could happen. I've just had my soul crushed losing two horses in a row. I'm definitely hoping for a healthy, fun and long time partner. And I definitely have learned to go with my gut. Anytime I have not done that, I regretted it.

Blob, that's funny. I'm that way with grey geldings. I have yet to meet a grey gelding that I didn't get along with..I've also owned 3 in my life time. I've also had a bay and a Chestnut. But a grey always feels like a good omen (but that's not the the whole picture, obviously I passed on that grey Andi.)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:49 am

blob wrote:One weird pattern in my horse life is that I have gotten along with every bay mare i've ever ridden/worked with. I've had a LOT of horses come in and out of my life but there is no other classification like that I can make, with any other color, gender, breed there have been some I've liked and some I haven't. But the bay mares I've known? I've loved them all. That doesn't mean I would want to own all of them, not all of them were necessarily athletic or had comfortable gaits or right for my discipline. But by whatever weird coincidence i've gotten along with all of them. If i had the money and the time, I'd probably have a mini-fleet of bay mares :D

I'll donate Deneb to your fleet. 90% of the time I'd vouch for bays having the best disposition.

blob

Postby blob » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:06 pm

Chisamba wrote:
blob wrote:One weird pattern in my horse life is that I have gotten along with every bay mare i've ever ridden/worked with. I've had a LOT of horses come in and out of my life but there is no other classification like that I can make, with any other color, gender, breed there have been some I've liked and some I haven't. But the bay mares I've known? I've loved them all. That doesn't mean I would want to own all of them, not all of them were necessarily athletic or had comfortable gaits or right for my discipline. But by whatever weird coincidence i've gotten along with all of them. If i had the money and the time, I'd probably have a mini-fleet of bay mares :D

I'll donate Deneb to your fleet. 90% of the time I'd vouch for bays having the best disposition.

I would gladly take her :)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:33 pm

I have ridden so many mares but maybe I should begin with Monthor.
20201115_181728.jpg
Monthor
20201115_181728.jpg (8.13 KiB) Viewed 6216 times

she was an off the track thoroughbred but the ultimate kick ride babysitter. I was quite young so I would have to put my saddle on a barrel, stand her alongside said barrel, climb on the barrel and slide the saddle in place. then i would attach the girth. walk under her belly with the girth and reach up as high as I could to fasten it. she would entertain herself by putting her head in the air to avoid being bridled so much of the time I rode her in the halter. I used to ride her on the farm, on trail rides, in gymkhana. at one such Gymkhana a rider who I hugely admired asked if he could borrow her for the flat race. apparently he knew her from her racing days. imagine my surprise when she won by 8 lengths going away. So my first riding experiences on a mare was positive so if anything my bias is pro mares.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:23 am

What a great story, Chisamba, and a very wonderful mare. It's a special horse that can win the race when asked but also knows when to be a babysitter of a kick ride for her very young rider.

Return to “Dressage Training”