Riding with less than ideal conditions

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Lipsmackerpony88
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Riding with less than ideal conditions

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:23 pm

I know many have had to ride with less than ideal conditions, such as riding outside in the dark, pasture, in the rain and wind. Or in a pasture instead of an arena. Or with minimal lessons.

I lived on a farm and did the riding in the pasture thing as a kid, but having them in the backyard was a huge convenience overall back then. Now I'm stuck with boarding.

The barn I've been boarding at is not a Dressage barn. But it's in my budget (trying to stay around $600) and the care is good. But there is really only one arena that I find suitable for any real Dressage work. It's an outdoor arena. Or there is a field we can ride in too although it's by the road so you have to be cautious.

Because of COVID19, my daughter will most likely be doing this remote school thing all year. That really limits my day time availability at the barn. I'm more available in the evening during the week.

I'd prefer to ride outside. How did you guys do it? No arena lights unfortunately. Car lights? Or mobile construction lights? Even if it light up half of the arena, better than nothing?

Lessons are difficult right now too. During these times, it might only be possible to do 2 lessons a month. Scheduling is just so tough this year. But I got a Pivo for my birthday so I figured I can video to watch myself and maybe ask for video critiques.

To help with the cold, I asked for a heated jacket for Christmas. Maybe not to actually ride in but I figured it would be nice so I can drag myself out to the barn on cold, dark nights. It's the dark plus cold that is tough for me but once I'm on the horse it's better.

StraightForward

Re: Riding with less than ideal conditions

Postby StraightForward » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:48 pm

I remember someone here (Rosie?) riding with a headlamp in winter. It might depend on your horse. At my old barn, there was a work light mounted up on one side of the arena, and a light at the end of the barn that helped light the arena a bit. Of course, by the time daylight is limiting, the outdoor footing is often either too wet or frozen for riding anyway.

Fortunately it doesn't take much light to be able to ride in an arena as long as there aren't obstructions that need to be avoided.

I talked to my BO a few weeks ago about getting some solar LED lights with motion detectors. Maybe people at your barn could chip in to get a few? The BO's husband is supposedly working on re-installing the old halogen arena lights, so they didn't go for the solar lights, but the materials that were purchased to mount additional mirrors in the indoor last winter have been sitting in the same place for a year, so I'm not optimistic about the lights getting done either.

I'm used to going a long time between lessons, so that isn't a big deal for me. Just make sure to get homework and record the lesson if possible to refer back to. My instructor is trying to continue to travel up here, but I won't be surprised if she ends up having to take a break until spring between Covid and clients who don't have access to an indoor.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:36 pm

I ride early morning, so light isn't a problem, but frozen or saturated footing can be a challenge. Oftentimes that's easily solved by riding in the pasture — we've got a large field with a significant grade that drains well. And the grass is so thick it's padded in the winter. I don't ride out there all the time because it's also our best pasture, and we don't need ruts.

For lighting, I'd try a headlamp. Get one with the longer, brighter beam of light. Check out what's recommended for trail running. We don't want diffused light out there ... unless meeting the ground is the goal :shock:

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:44 am

I am lucky enough now to be able to ride during the day, but do you need lights? We do have arena lights, but I often rode in the dark. The horses don't care and certainly do better in the dark than us, and it's an interesting variation for you to ride when you're not seeing.

I think once you figure out how to work the Pivo, it will really help. I have found it REALLY helps me. I can feel what I am working on and then watch myself and see. You know enough to give yourself feedback. You can also show me the video if you want help, too. :)

We don't really have the cold issue here. If I had to ride at night it's cold, but lately during the day I've been riding in a tank top. I can't wear my snazzy turtleneck/vest outfit much!

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:55 am

When I didn't have a lighted outdoor arena, I purchased outdoor lights from Lowe's that I spaced out around my arena so that I could ride at night. Kids were toddlers and I needed to be able to ride when they were asleep and had to wait for 'better' weather to get my arena lights installed. Not ideal but it worked.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:04 pm

The headlamp idea is interesting! Never thought of that one.

I am thinking of just some outdoor lights to place around the arena too.

I think riding in the dark and cold will be a deterrent for me so I would rather have at least a little bit of light. I think with the barn lights and some additional lights it could be doable.

The arena actually drains really well but not sure how it would be at night in the cold. I'm thinking when I do have a horse again, I can arrange my schedule to do ride twice during the week during the day (once while my daughter has her riding lesson and my mom said she could watch her one morning during the week.) And then can ride during daylight on the weekends. So that would leave me working in the evening once or twice a week (depends on the horse.) If needed I could use the indoor and just do really low key stuff/walk exercises.

Really looking forward to the Pivo and a heated jacket!!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:38 pm

3-4 days a week is enough to make progress too. I'm stepping down the intensity a bit for winter to help avoid burnout with the logistical challenges. There is always in-hand/ground work that can be done in different/smaller spaces, as well as studying and rider exercises/visualizations that can help you move forward when you can't be in the saddle. Right now I'm alternating between watching Wendy Murdoch's webinars, and finally working through the Ritter's Feldenkrais exercises that I didn't make time for over the summer with their straightness course.
Keep calm and canter on.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:59 pm

What's the issue with the indoor arena? Footing/jumps/other?

You can do a lot of quality work with jumps "in the way"-- it's a good way to practice quasi-show conditions (i.e. man I could really use a circle to regroup and rebalance but that darn xrail is in the way, better figure out a different way to get the half-halt through). I speak from experience: my formative FEI years were spent boarding at a local H/J barn. I spent a lot of time riding around up/down lessons and out of the way during jumping work. Not perfect by any means but certainly doable.

Although by the end of the winter I was absolutely losing my mind, I can tell you that. Jonesing for some sunlight and space to ride!

The hardest part is just getting in the saddle when things are dark and cold and you've got a touch of seasonal depression (if this doesn't ring true for you, then never mind me). I had to make fake deals with myself: just go out to the barn and brush, you don't have to get on. If that didn't feel like too much then: just get on and walk around, you don't have to actually school. And before I knew it, I was actually enjoying myself in the saddle and working on real work. But I had to get over the excuses. It's cold, it's dark, I'm tired... I'll be all of those things whether I ride or not, so may as well ride. But every winter I go through the same journey of wheedling myself into doing the things I actually enjoy.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:01 pm

Straightforward, so true. I do get frustrated sometimes about timing challenges and have to be careful to not put too much pressure or expectations that are a little unrealistic!

Especially since I will likely have a younger horse, I do expect and enjoy just doing groundwork/grooming some days too.

I was thinking about J.J. Tate's course, although not sure how expensive it is. But I love watching and reading about Dressage. I watch a few youtube channels to get ideas or just ponder things too.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:08 pm

Ponichiwa, mostly footing is an issue. But space as well. No jumps, it's more of a western barn. But the footing gets really firm and unlevel so that makes me nervous. And it's already a fairly small arena and they put a round pen inside. So the only usable space is probably a 30 meter circle.

I hear on the struggle in the cold and dark...it is really hard for me too. That's why I asked for a heated jacket. I'm really trying to get my gear together as being warm helps. My husband also tries to push me to go earlier in the evening vs later. Because once a certain time hits, it gets really hard to drag myself out there. But once out there, it is easier.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:09 pm

Ponichiwa, mostly footing is an issue. But space as well. No jumps, it's more of a western barn. But the footing gets really firm and unlevel so that makes me nervous. And it's already a fairly small arena and they put a round pen inside. So the only usable space is probably a 30 meter circle.

I hear on the struggle in the cold and dark...it is really hard for me too. That's why I asked for a heated jacket. I'm really trying to get my gear together as being warm helps. My husband also tries to push me to go earlier in the evening vs later. Because once a certain time hits, it gets really hard to drag myself out there. But once out there, it is easier.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:06 am

I am one of those with less than ideal conditions despite having an indoor. None of the footing where I board is great. The last footing put in the indoor was SUPPOSED to be arena sand with some pea gravel. If I had been the B.O., I would NOT have accepted it. To me...it looks like road mix with smaller gravel. That said, the gravel doesn't bother any of the horses but it just isn't the right consistency. When it is wet...it packs just like road mix. When it is dry it is oh so dusty. So, needless to say, I don't work her in there much, especially under saddle as it is a bit deep. The indoor building is not insulated so if the footing is wet when it freezes...so goeth the footing.

Our outdoor is very rocky...also a road mix issue in that when they expanded the outdoor years ago, they ran out of $$ for sand and by the time they were able to get more sand, the road mix base (I know, not the right base) had been worked into the footing. It doesn't drain well and when it is really wet, it is not rideable.

The plus...they get groomed regularly. In the summer when everything is bone dry, I work Kyra in hoof boots. If she was shod, I would put pads on her too but so far the boots seem to work fine. Despite the crummy footing, she has remained sound and she does progress when I am sound and able to ride.
(Ain't that a hoot...horse is sound as can be...me...it depends on the day. Up until this year, I am not sure you could have even called me pasture sound :lol: ).

I have the luxury of being retired and can go out in the middle of the day so I don't have to worry about lighting.
Back in the 80's, I rode in a pasture. When I started boarding at a 'real' boarding facility, I have never been at one that had really nice footing. The last barn I was at wasn't bad...at least it was decent arena sand but it was too deep for my tastes. Current place I have been at for years and years and horses have stayed sound so it must not be that bad? I try to keep horse keeping costs reasonable. Current barn has lovely home grown hay and room for horse to move (she is out 24/7 which is a big one in my book ) so the footing is the weak one of the big three (food, movement and footing). Sigh...I don't have the pocket book to get all 3...either boarding or owning my own place.

I am getting to be a weather weenie in my old age and I just don't push it in the winter like I used to. The horses I have had, have all maintained quite well with 2-3 days a week through the winter. I think engaging them mentally keeps them sharp and engaged with tasks and as it gets better in the spring, you can do a good month or two of fitness work worked in with dressage work, they do fine...even the young ones.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:02 pm

For the most part, I think we all do our best to make due with what we have. I know that some have a great set up. Unfortunately for me I left my best set up in Kansas City. I had an all weather lighted outdoor full size arena with the nike footing. I wasn't able to enjoy it or use it for very long. Since moving to Arizona I've had lighted outdoor arenas which I've been lucky to have access to (on personal property) but footing has been what I could afford and honestly if you've ever been responsible for building and then maintaining an arena it takes time, money and effort which sometimes limits the quality or how close to ideal you can get. My challenge is that in all three places, my former ranch, my small horse property that my son rents from me and my current home, the arenas are not full size dressage courts. They're large enough in terms of their square footage exceeds that of a full size dressage court but I don't have a full 60 meters in length in any of them. Still, I've been able to progress up the levels and establish the fitness a horse needs to do so through trail riding and alternate routes. I've found and made arrangements to haul out weekly to have access to what I need. Yes, I end up paying a facility use fee; it takes extra time to haul there and back; and I can't always control who else may be riding in the facility (luckily that really has never been a problem with my horses including my stallions); but, it's what has been necessary to achieve specific goals I've made. For a time I worked with a friend to fly in a clinician monthly in order to have lessons when there was no access to decent instructors in our area. I've always been fortunate enough to be able to work it around my 'real' work schedule too........well to be honest.....my agreement to accept my various jobs over the years have been predicated on a schedule that I could/can make work with riding. What it has meant for me is honestly a lack of sleep over the years in order to fit it all in......but.......that was worth it to me at the time and currently. As for weather, when I lived in colder climates I had insulated coveralls, winter riding breeches, the warmest boots and gloves I could find. I hauled to an indoor to ride and paid for one stall (monthly board) in order to be able to have access to the indoor despite having all of my horses at home. The barn owner thought it was awesome because she didn't waste feed or shavings on my 'horse' and she had very little work to do in regards to 'my stall'. For the last 22 years the weather deterrent has been extreme heat; so, you get up and ride at 4:30 am (hey at least the kids were asleep at that time and I didn't have to worry about them, would finish feeding horses and cleaning pens/stalls in time to get them ready for school and myself for work).

I think in the end, it all comes down to persistence, dedication, ability to think outside the box and the drive to attain certain goals. My drive and goals kept me throwing my leg over the saddle especially when I was riding and competing up to 4-5 horses at a time. My drive and goals are what inspired me to barter and get access to different opportunities to ride with top instructors. Many sacrifices were made but that's what it also comes down to, priorities. Some paths are longer, some are slower, some have more speed bumps along the way.........but that's why so many on this board realize that it's more about the personal journey and no two are exactly alike. I'm still striving to earn my gold and hopefully on my home bred. We'll see - I have the fewest horses in my string ever and all of unconventional breeds; I do not own a full size arena; I still work full-time and take care of my mother as well as having to bail out my adult kids from time-to-time; and I'm getting older and physical injuries are catching up to me..............LOL..........doesn't sound like a recipe for success; but, I've done more with less ;)

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:06 pm

Exvet, yes after a horse,next on my list is a trailer. I haven't owned one in 15 years but if I'm going to board at less than ideal places, I think it's necessary.

There is a few other barns that I might be able to afford. I just hate to board somewhere new to me with a horse that I don't yet know. I previously had a bad experience where a place claimed to turn horses out but reality was very different. It was awful for my poor horse.

There are a few barns that I may look at later on. One has a great set up for the horses. The indoor isn't big and usually has jumps, but the footing is good. The also have a decent sized outdoor (with jumps) and a small Dressage court. The only downside is it is mainly an eventing barn. You can't bring in other trainers. They do occasionally bring in a Dressage trainer (Sarah Martin.) I'm hoping to ride with the Silver medalist I've lightly been using this year. She's a great fit for me right now. So I would need to trailer to her if I went there. Which is the case at most barns around here. No outside instructors.

But one step at a time. First to find a horse. Get through this year which is tough but doable. Then next year maybe look for a new barn or trailer out to better arenas/instructors.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:08 pm

Like Exvet, one of my biggest challenges is not having access to a dressage arena. It's less about needing letters and more about having a long-side. I ride in an oval that is wider than 20 meters, but not as long as 60 and then of course the shape makes it so that the straight lines you can draw are shortened.

However I"m very luck to have access to a covered arena with lights and an outdoor that has pretty nice footing. It errs on being a bit too firm but i will take firm over deep all day, any day.

My biggest horse related handicap challenge though is not having my own trailer. I have space at the farm to keep a trailer and financially that would be doable. But I don't have a towing vehicle or a place to keep one and that's where money would get challenging. I know that I need one...

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:07 pm

Blob, the one arena with good footing is oval in shape too so I get that!! Definitely not a Dressage barn lol.

The indoor actually worries me with just how firm and unlevel it gets. So I will take the oval outdoor over that.

One day I hope to board somewhere a little easier for my dressage pursuit!

demi

Postby demi » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:38 pm

Yes, LS, your circumstances will almost certainly change as time goes by. Reading all the posts on this thread so far, reminds me of that. I didn’t have kids, but in my first 20ish years of marriage I boarded my horses and worked in Silicon Valley at a high-stress, fast paced job with an hour commute each way. I’d get in the lab by 5 am so I could leave early enough to go home, change, let the small animals out, and then dash out to the barn. I usually rode 2-3 horses. We lived in Pleasanton which had a good variety of boarding options at that time, so I had good arenas, lighting, facilities, etc. Still, I was tired a lot. Once, when my dad was helping us remodel a house, I was so tired that after work on day, I just turned my horse out in the outdoor arena and sat on the top rail of the fence to watch him. I fell asleep sitting there, and fell over backwards!

We’ve had our own places since the early 90’s. The situation is much better, but now I do most of the work myself. The older I get the harder that is. I have a tractor but dealing with the implements is hard, for instance I have to lift the 86 pound chain harrow to move it from pasture to pasture so I don’t tear up the ground in between and I have to turn it completely over to use the less aggressive side for dragging the arena. I can ride in the daylight, but don’t have an indoor and summer sun in Texas is brutal. And then we have rain, too (not complaining on that! Rain is good!). Then there’s feed and shavings for three horses that has to be unloaded every 3-4 weeks, stalls to clean, manure to spread, pastures to be mowed, equipment to be maintained, big water tubs to be cleaned once a week. There’s grooming of even the horses that I don’t ride, and vet visits, and 6 week farrier visits that I hold each horse for... and then I get to ride...and that makes it all worth the effort!

You will hopefully have many years of riding ahead of you so just make sure you enjoy the time you have right now, and don’t worry too much that the situation is less than ideal. I think you’ll do just fine!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:17 pm

Khall, yes I have to remember to just enjoy it all, even if things aren't perfect. I try so hard to set myself up for success but the reality is, life has some obstacles. And it's okay. Many of us have dealt with different things at times. It's part of why I enjoy this board. It's inspiring to read how others still chip away and are successful despite challenges.

I have to say sometimes I really miss living on a farm or being a working student but sometimes I'm really happy to board right now too ha ha!!

My biggest thing is I want my horse to be happy and safe. After that, trying to work with the best trainers I can. Anything else is icing on the cake.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:31 pm

Being Thanksgiving, I have to say that I'm thankful for many things that are going right for me and my pursuit of horsemanship and Dressage.

I literally have the most supportive family. I have some supportive horse friends. I have had access to some great coaches. That's a good start and place to be imo.

Happy Thanksgiving you guys! Thankful for this forum. It's a wealth of knowledge, welcoming and inspiring.

Return to “Dressage Training”