What do you join?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
MsM
Greenie

What do you join?

Postby MsM » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:48 pm

As winter sets in, I am daydreaming of warmer times and perhaps getting to a show or two. Some of this is fueled by my instructor's enthusiasm for my horse's talent and potential (me, not as much!) as she (who has her rider gold medal) thinks he can do "really big stuff!: :D

This is totally premature since I haven't taken him off property except to the vet clinic, so I don't know if his brains will fall out. But I havent shown since the dark ages when there were 4 tests to a level, no half points and not as much to join or register!

I figure that I will rejoin on of my local GMOs that have schooling shows fairly close. But if I want to dabble in a recognized show (there are two or three nearby) do I upgrade my membership? Register my horse? Is it better to pay nonmember fees if I only do one or two shows? I am wondering about recognized shows because the schooling shows I have found are geared to training/first level, with very few entries above. If he retains any training at shows, he is solidly First, could do a credible Second 1, and working on the rest. So I figured I want want a more experienced judge's eye on him by Autumn.

It has certainly gotten more complicated and expensive since the old days!

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: What do you join?

Postby blob » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:54 pm

I actually don't join my gmo because there are limited perks for me. I'm personally not interested in end of year gmo standings/awards and it doesn't get me access or discount to any of the schooling shows or clinics.

My horses are registered lifetime with used/used because the math makes it so that even a handful of recognized shows even spread over years is more costly than a lifetime horse registration.

Rider registration is a different story. If I'm going to do 1 show only I'll do non member fees. 3 and I definitely do registrations. 2.... You'll have to check the math.

Lately I've been trying to get scores for my bronze (1 score left!). So, I've been registering every year

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:20 pm

I join/renew my GMO membership annually because we do get perks, especially for schooling shows. To be in the running for GMO awards we have to pay additional fees to nominate horses/riders, etc. I don't bother any more with those. My horses are also lifetime registered with USDF and USEF (well not Brandon yet but he will be). I, like Blob, take renewing my registration with USEF and participating membership with USDF, one year at at time and often don't renew my membership until well into the year and only if the number of shows I'm sure I'm going to do justify it. Since I too am only riding for my medals (gold) it doesn't make any difference to me if my scores count at this point. Once I'm back showing PSG again, that will be a different matter; so, I figure I'll save my money when and where I can. When I was campaigning my stallion and other welsh cobs heavily, All-Breed Awards actually meant something and I kept all memberships current. Junior is solid second level and will be ready for third level later this year; so, I have a while to wait before I really need to worry about it. I do have some incentive from the breeder and actually through AMHA with Brandon to campaign once he's ready which won't be for at least another year.

I forgot to mention that I also join/renew with the breed organizations annually as well.
Last edited by exvet on Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:42 pm

Nothing. I will see if we have 2021 shows before deciding. I run my own schooling shows so I can still do something.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:37 pm

It depends...

When I had my own farm, I joined USEF whether I was showing or not as they offered decent, cheap umbrella insurance coverage with your membership, which was worthwhile. I need to check whether I still need to do this now life has changed!

If I'm showing, it depends on what my goals are for the year. I'm going to be showing recognized rather than schooling shows on the whole.

If I think I might have a go at regionals, then I'll join USDF as a participating member, and whichever GMO (either Idaho or Colorado) that the regional finals are going to be held in, so I can also participate in their open show if I get to regionals.

If I'm just going to be showing recognized locally, then I'll probably join my local Utah GMO, which gets us sufficient recognition with USDF for medals, etc., and gives them a bit of local support.

BUT, If I'm going to be showing in Colorado as well, then I'll end up joining RMDS (Colorado GMO) as well or instead of Utah GMO.

Then there's the issue of Idaho, if we go to show there... at which point, I might just as well have joined USDF as a participating member and called it good. I'm happy to support local organizations, but it does get bloody expensive! In ye olde days, the state GMOs had reciprocal recognition at shows, but they've tended to stop doing that.

(I should explain that we have a very limited number of shows now here in Utah, so if you are "going for it" you need to go out of state to show.)

Horses, I've had both lifetime and annual USDF registrations depending on the horse. My superstitious self says ponying up for it will end up in the horse going lame for life within about 3 weeks. We usually end up with lifetime USEF registration, as I believe it's free?

It's all been a bit academic recently, though!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:16 pm

Moutaineer wrote:It depends...

When I had my own farm, I joined USEF whether I was showing or not as they offered decent, cheap umbrella insurance coverage with your membership, which was worthwhile. I need to check whether I still need to do this now life has changed!

Horses, I've had both lifetime and annual USDF registrations depending on the horse. My superstitious self says ponying up for it will end up in the horse going lame for life within about 3 weeks. We usually end up with lifetime USEF registration, as I believe it's free?

Yeah, I feel like between the umbrella insurance and the member discounts at SmartPak and some other places, the USEF membership is worth it even if I don't show.

I've never shown recognized, and I am sure that something horrible will happen if I pay for memberships and registrations. That is also why I didn't include a show pad in my recent saddle pad order. :lol:
Keep calm and canter on.

MsM
Greenie

Postby MsM » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:46 pm

Thanks all. It sure got complicated!

Return to “Dressage Training”