Ring in 2021 in the dressage ring: January-February Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Ring in 2021 in the dressage ring: January-February Goals and Progress

Postby khall » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:44 am

Please jingle for Joplin. She presented this morning with a fever of 103.3 today. Bloodwork was unremarkable. Assuming it is viral though no idea why. She’s not gone anywhere and no one has been here recently

Horses. Ugh

Mountaineer so sorry about having to make a tough decision on Laddie. Hope you can find something lovely to form a new partnership with.

Our weather has just been disgusting. 40’s and rain. Dismal and cold for us. I get tired of day after day of clouds drizzle rain and no sun. Sigh

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:33 pm

Jingling!

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:38 pm

oh gosh, Khall, hope Joplin is ok. Keep us posted.

Mountaineer--that is a tough decision. But sounds like the right one. Excited for what's to come for you.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:20 pm

Jingling for Joplin!

Moutaineer, heather Olsen has an Andi for sale doing 4th level I think. Saw it on FB

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:22 pm

Thanks all. If anyone knows a 5-star lease home for a very nice, responsive, sweet and well trained through third except for changes which are a bit sketchy, 17hh 19 y.o fancy black Oldenburg gelding, let me know!

(And thanks, Sue B--I had been racking my brains for her name to go check out what she'd got :))

I hope Joplin is feeling brighter today, Khall.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:46 pm

Ding's off for an xray today to see what's going on under a persistent crack in his toe that he keeps going lame on. Just spent 2k on the dog for I guess stifle surgery, so the vet bills are adding up!
But you know how it is.
Norsey is going great because he's the only one being ridden so he doesn't get to miss out by me riding the other one if I'm short on time :D He really does do well with steady constant work. He drops muscle quite quickly if I don't ride him for a week.

Goodluck withe Laddie, Mountaineer. I've had my first horse (who is 19) leased out to a nice home for the past year.
Hope Joplin is ok too.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:13 am

Joplin is still feeling punky. Normal temp this morning and for most of day then back up at dinner time to 102.8 not eating well so starting her on GG. I guess we are going to take the week off.

Rip seems good though. I had the most fun with him and SW the other day. Cedar had me asking for some longitudinal flexion in SW and he took to it fine. So so he has this huge expressive SW that is round and in the bit. He looks great.

Gaila is just fat.

Flight hope you can figure Ding out. And yes vet bills ugh

Cedar made it to FL and will be showing at Wellington CDI later this month. Hoping to go down to watch.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:43 am

Jingles for Joplin! It's encouraging that her temp came down, hopefully it will go back down again and stabilize!

Moutaineer, that is a tough decision; I hope you're able to find an ideal rider to lease Laddie, and find the perfect next partner for you.

Jingles for Ding too!

Sue, we might end up in pretty similar saddles. I told Adrienne I'd like something as similar as possible to my Vinici, so I'm guessing that would be an Ellipse Ultra monoflap. Hopefully it will work at $1,300 less than the Vinici, and the benefit of hands-on local fitting.

We are having mild weather for Idaho in January, though the outdoor arena was rained out last night. Will probably be rideable by this weekend, and Annabelle was sound lunging in her Scoot Boots tonight, so I'll probably get back in the swing of things, but at a slower pace until I can get her into a wider saddle. After two weeks of doing the Feldenkrais stuff daily and not riding, it will be interesting to see if I notice a difference when I get back on. I did think I felt more grounded and even in my seatbones when I sat on my "house horse" for a bit while working this afternoon. Focus the first two weeks has been on mobility of the ribs and hip joints.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:57 am

we are just plugging along, nothing special to report. after a long and lovely day of riding 8 horses on Tuesday I had to strongly encourage myself to gear up for my final ride of the day, Kimba. I am so glad I did. we didn't do anything special but the whole ride was special because Kimba is such a love and such a pleasure. dinner was being served but she did get best to ignore the fact that everyone was eating noisily. she did not spook at the light or shadows or noises, unlike just about every other horse of the day. she responded willingly to the leg, unlike just about every other horse of the day, she was mostly very willing in the contact, tried the really hard stuff to her best abilities, and reminded me to be better at a few things. there really isn't much better in life than a good ride on a nice horse, is there?

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:04 pm

Jingles for everyone dealing with horses that aren't feeling their best!

Chisamba, that ride on Kimba is what keeps us coming back for more! It sounds lovely.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:12 pm

Chisamba wrote: there really isn't much better in life than a good ride on a nice horse, is there?

No, Chisamba, there really isn't!

We are all very lucky people that we know of this pleasure and have the opportunity to pursue it.

The only other thing I have to add is that, Good Lord, horses are expensive at the moment.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:45 pm

Moutaineer wrote:
Chisamba wrote: there really isn't much better in life than a good ride on a nice horse, is there?

No, Chisamba, there really isn't!

We are all very lucky people that we know of this pleasure and have the opportunity to pursue it.

The only other thing I have to add is that, Good Lord, horses are expensive at the moment.

at the moment? :lol: :roll:

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:51 am

Even more so than "normal," I think, Rye! Admittedly I want a unicorn, but... Well, I'm not in a hurry.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:28 am

Mountaineer, what are you looking for? I LOVE window horse shopping for others.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:35 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Even more so than "normal," I think, Rye! Admittedly I want a unicorn, but... Well, I'm not in a hurry.

yeah, we have been there. Good luck in your search~

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:52 pm

Good wishes to those looking. Good wishes to those recovering. I had a rather 'short' day at work yesterday (3 of my 7 surgeries cancelled) and an open afternoon so Junior and I went on a 6 mile trail ride in very nice weather. He trotted at least 2/3 of it. Today, back to the school and hopefully some improvement in our work. Pivo will tell ;)

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:45 pm

Working on canter a lot this month, last fall I did quite a bit of work on the trot- collection, TOH, HP, etc to really get better flow and not just mechanics. This month it seems to be the canter time- I also have to break up the winter blahs with pole work- canter poles, raised cavaletti, etc. It's good to make the horse responsible for changing his stride and not micromanage all the time.

I am hoping to get set for all the second level canter work- CC, CWC, more sitting, there is a reason people still dislike second. I can get good scores but it's time to really push towards changes.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:20 pm

Just finished my first week at new job. Started off feeling right intimated by PhD's and some really cool experienced people that I'm working with. And then they slapped me in $1+million proposal for a Covid vaccine due to my lab work/Quality background and we won it! Had a kickoff call on Thursday night with the west coast and client was pumped after I did my little introduction blurb. So things are going pretty good! Working from home is pretty sweet so far as well and Aril is learning to chill and not bark during calls/videos.

Kora has just been lightly lunged while she Robaxin percolates and my new health insurance kicks in :lol: I decided I'm going to get back on and ride her without the sulfracrate first just so to not change so many things without understanding what is helping or not. Kora is improving to touch so I'm hopeful we've turned the corner for her.

I concur with Blob that we need wants/needs from you Mountaineer so we can all window shop for you!

demi

Postby demi » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:20 am

New job sounds great, Aleuronx!

And agree with everyone about window shopping horses for other people! There’s an interesting article in USDF connection this month on Dressage Horse market 2021: Has pandemic affected prices? I didnt like the silhouette they used on the cover. Looks like a saddle seat horse :shock:

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:12 pm

It's all go in my world... I've been feeling crummy for a while now, so I dragged myself into the doctor's office earlier in the week. After some tests it was discovered I have a bacterial infection, so I'm now on day 3 of antibiotics, and, if I ignore the side effects, I'm feeling about a million times better, much more like my normal self, and my energy level has increased significantly.

Laddie is basically sound. Footy because of the lack of shoes, but evenly so.

A nice woman who I had met briefly back in the fall popped up last week looking for a lease horse. She's a mature, ex-pro horsewoman with her silver medal. She's been out of horses seriously for several years, but has two retirees of her own, and is looking for a nice horse to putter around on and get her riding chops back. She came up and watched him go round on the lunge yesterday, loved him, is heading out on vacation for two weeks, and will come ride him when she gets back. Keep your fingers crossed that this works out--she's a thinker and has the same kind of values and philosophy as I do.

I'm starting the horse search thing, and have a lead on something that could potentially be interesting. As it happens, he's down where this lady is going on vacation and she has offered to go take a look and hop on him while she is down there, if I can contain myself that long and not just hop on a plane (eek) next week.

I'll do a separate post on the horse search rather than clutter up in here. But yes, I'd appreciate some help.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:16 pm

Between giving Junior a blanket clip a few weeks ago and increasing the amount of work/riding we've been doing regularly I've seen some improvement in his stamina but he's absolutely 'spent' after warming up and riding second level test 3. He is hard to gauge because he's always eager to go but seems to suffer more from 'tension fatigue' which I'm not quite sure how to address other than with increasing mileage. Saturday we took all three horses out for a 'decent' trail ride, about 5.5 miles. I had already ridden Junior in the arena (used my pivo, still love it) but he still had a lot of go even after a relatively strenuous 40 minute work out. The weather has been absolutely gorgeous and while Brandon has always been very good for his age dealing with anything new and the other two are old hats at the trails (despite bikes, ATVs, dogs, etc), it's obvious that 'the herd' really likes to be together. My daughter rode Junior which has been only the fourth time someone else has ridden him. The trail riding despite a lot of trotting, warmer than usual weather and being in varied terrain didn't phase any of them a bit and Junior seemed to be able to go for another round when we finished. So, I've come to the conclusion that it's definitely as much or more mind fatigue with dressage on Junior's part as anything else or so I've noticed. I know that suppleness has always been are greatest challenge but I think the two are linked. I need to find a way to get Junior 'pumped up' for the forward but relaxed enough through his mind and body so that he doesn't 'spend' himself in the wrong way. Hopefully that makes sense. He's not a high-anxiety driven beast; so, I'm not really sure how to address it other than pulling out a list of exercises to work on suppleness as the priority. I took Junior for his lesson on Sunday and we warmed up and rode 2nd 3 which seemed to go okay except for leaving points behind that I know I should never leave - drifting center lines, resistance (mild) in the halts and the reinback, and awful turn on the haunches - all things that thanks to Pivo I know we can nail........so my instructor said that I should expect to get in the mid 60s based on our issues with submission and suppleness. I guess we shall see. The weather is supposed to turn nasty starting tomorrow - colder and raining (usually I'm grateful for the rain). NOT chocking up to be a great chance for good rides at the upcoming show; but, at least I'll get to ride with someone over the 4 days who usually gives me a wealth of helpful feedback and we can focus on improving for the next show in a couple more weeks.....................the joys of dressage competition ;)

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:37 pm

Sigh...after many months of really good solid work with RP this week has been a total mess. I felt like i've gone back 6 months in time to a horse that is back to the head tossing, stuck in the back, against the leg nonsense.

Given the history and given the sudden resurgence of this with no clear rhyme or reason, I have to believe something physical is going on. But what? It feels like he might have some stomach discomfort going on again--like he's bloated or gassy. 4 weeks ago we changed up his feed slightly--instead of getting alfalfa pellets, we've upped his alfalfa hay. Before he was getting one flake + pellets. Now he's getting enough of the actual hay to make up for the weight he was getting in pellets. If this was going to create a problem i would have expected it within the first 10 days of the change. Not now...but it could be? I'm not sure what to think...

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:59 pm

Jingles for those seeking a diagnosis or cause for a change in their horses. I know that can be stressful!
Blob, is there anyway the season (winter, limited grass) might impact RP? (ex. less vitamin E or change in grazing timing)

We are now up to 35 minutes of walking 5x/week, plus small limited turnout. I realize what a lovely horse I have when it is blowing 25 mph and cold (for us in the south), and she truly listens to her job---even though she is on her toes. And this is without pharmaceutical intervention for my safety. Each day I kind of worry when I first arrive to see how she is doing, but I am becoming calmer lol!

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:42 am

After nearly 4 weeks on holiday, I started again slowly this week. We did a polework lesson, which was a complete and utter disaster, like I've never jumped before in my life :roll:

Yesterday we did a little bit in the dressage arena, just focusing on forward and lateral work to get some suppleness going before our dressage lesson tomorrow. Fortunately, the time off doesn't seem to have negated the massive progress we made in the flying changes literally in the week before I went on holiday, huuuuuuuuuge relief!
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:03 am

Yikes...I hope everyone that is having trials and tribulations can find the answers they need.

Kyra and I have just been plugging along. I am getting used to doing my own cleaning again and of course, since my cleaner quit, it has become monsoon season and her pen has been a mud pit. That is helping my fitness...I think. So far it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. I have watching Karen Rolhf videos while I am working on my rowing machine and have incorporated some of that work into some 15 minute or so in-hand or lunging sessions. Yesterday, I was able to lunge in the outdoor. The high end was dry enough and nice and fluffy. The indoor just doesn't fair well in the winter so it was nice to have good footing and fresh air.

I think between some good quality work and standing on her Surefoot pads, her top line is looking better. She was looking a bit saggy this fall and she will be 19 this year but I thought yesterday, she looked more lifted through the back. I continue with her Spanish walk work. Yesterday, I got about 8 consecutive alternating steps 8-) .
Praised her well, gave her a treat, walked her forward a few feet and asked again...apparently her first effort exceeded her maximum. I got her re-focused and straight and finally got a few more steps and called it good. I am finally at a place where I can probably start riding again after getting all of Mom's business sorted out and finished and now it is supposed to get cold...I suppose since it is winter....We will just continue the in-hand work until the footing is decent enough to ride.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

khall

Postby khall » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:49 pm

Well Joplin had a fever and felt punky for 3 days. Still no idea what it was. Then she was shod Monday now has a hot nail. Ugh horses

Stay warm all! Happy riding for those who are and happy horse hunting for those who are facing that challenge

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:23 pm

Khall, so sorry Joplin is having a tough time right now. I hope things get better quickly!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:07 am

Oh, no. Poor Joplin. I hope it resolves quickly and easily!

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:23 pm

For those of us in the northern hemisphere, especially those with rehab duties-- keep hanging in there. It'll get lighter outside eventually. Southern hemi folks: remind me not to complain about this weather when I'm sweating my brains out this summer.

Queso and I are hanging in there. The changes I "installed" are actually getting reliable and clean, so long as I've got our Canter 2.0 firing. If he's flat, he's counter-cantering for days. If he's bouncing along with his brisket up and haunches down, flying change machine.

I've been inspired by the "second trot" thread and am working towards a more suspended trot with the Big Cheese, which we can keep up for parts of 20m circles. It's also a bit improbable-looking. Like the Fantasia hippos.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:23 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:Queso and I are hanging in there. The changes I "installed" are actually getting reliable and clean, so long as I've got our Canter 2.0 firing. If he's flat, he's counter-cantering for days. If he's bouncing along with his brisket up and haunches down, flying change machine.

I've been inspired by the "second trot" thread and am working towards a more suspended trot with the Big Cheese, which we can keep up for parts of 20m circles. It's also a bit improbable-looking. Like the Fantasia hippos.

Do you ever video your rides? I would love to see what another QH is doing under a more advanced rider. Finding footage of QHs doing 2nd/3rd decently is hard. I think they can do it, there just aren't that many trainers out there putting the time in to advance them.

Annabelle seems to have a little hind end stiffness to work out after being off for two weeks. It probably hasn't helped that the horses haven't gotten much turnout due to soggy pastures. Yesterday I think she had a lightbulb moment realizing she could put more energy into the shorter trot and lift up into the canter from there. Before she was mostly getting frustrated when I asked her to canter from a smaller trot. I'm hoping I can get a demo saddle soon, and then get a new one ordered. With the current saddle being marginally tight, I'll probably have to limit riding to 2-3x a week until we can get the XW one.

Tesla is going better on the lunge, but still it's a Whole Thing each time, and I still need the control of double-lunging. This afternoon I'm thinking I'll get back on and see how she does in the indoor. Defo not getting on her in the outdoor until they're back to a regular turnout schedule. Last night she saw *something* at the end of our lunging session and turned into a passaging, fire-breathing dragon. The day before I nearly got flattened on account of a tumbleweed. :lol:
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:48 pm

Ponichiwa wrote: Like the Fantasia hippos.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I can picture this perfectly. It's also 100% what I get when going for that suspended 2nd trot with my ponies right now. Ha.

Ugh, Khall, poor Joplin. Hope that hot nail heals soon!

RP is such a sensitive little boy. It's so easy for a small thing to turn him into a pretzel. We're just trying to get back to the good place right now.

MM is doing well. In our lesson last weekend, my trainer wanted me to try going from halfsteps into the canter to keep her hind end active in the transition. And it was nto easy, ha. I had to be really careful to be precise with my aids and timing. But it was a good thing for us to work on.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Re:

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:27 pm

StraightForward wrote:Do you ever video your rides? I would love to see what another QH is doing under a more advanced rider. Finding footage of QHs doing 2nd/3rd decently is hard. I think they can do it, there just aren't that many trainers out there putting the time in to advance them.

I am in a hate-the-way-I-look rut lately so no, no video. However, working on both my fitness and mental outlook this year so maybe later? Will keep you posted.

I do want more people out there on QHs, though. I really enjoy making my own horses, but have a demanding job that makes consistent barn time challenging (i.e. can get out to ride 4-5 days a week but days off are often unstructured/last-minute decisions). This isn't a time in my life for a hot hot tamale of a prospect. Queso would be perfectly happy hacking around but is similarly pleasant going to work for a living, which is honestly just what I need.

/infomercial for QHs

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:08 pm

Proud member of Queso fan club.
Neez pix

Kelo1
Novice

Re: Re:

Postby Kelo1 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:19 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:Queso would be perfectly happy hacking around but is similarly pleasant going to work for a living, which is honestly just what I need.

/infomercial for QHs

:lol: Preach it sistah :D <3

I read the Second Trot thread but didn't post there. I definitely understand the concept being discussed though, because the Cowpony has been teaching it to me the past few months. For sure there's a different trot when we just start warming up vs. when I ask him for that big, powerful, expressive gait.

The past few weeks especially we have really, really started putting together some good work in the trot quality and also a level of uninterrupted power in the piaffe/passage that I've been missing, and I can feel the difference. I am so excited about starting to grasp this stuff, I just can't even.

I do have some videos, but I don't post them online -- I know me and my horse make mistakes, I'm just an amateur and that's what I do -- and harsh critiques would break my heart. I just got a Pivo a couple days ago, and plan to start trying it this weekend. Maybe it will give me some good practice videos at least to help me analyze myself.

Also, we may need to start a gold horse or gold QH club because, as of a couple weeks ago, I'm eligible to be a member :mrgreen: I have acquired a 2yo gelding with a ton of chrome and he makes my heart go pitter pat. He seems to be a big ol' happy dope, and I can't wait to see where he goes. I don't have any good pics yet but here's a teaser.
Attachments
IMG_9343 (1).JPG
IMG_9343 (1).JPG (77.23 KiB) Viewed 7326 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:01 pm

Aww, congratulations Kelo! Wow, you are going to be busy! Is he just turning 2, or will he be 3 this spring?

If you do have some video, you can always upload it as unlisted and share links via PM if you so desire. I have been trying to figure out what I can or should expect out of my quarter horse's gaits now that she is developing towards 2nd level, and there just isn't much out there to refer to.

Interesting that you are finding another trot with your horse even though you're already dabbling at GP! I guess that just goes to show how much development is required, especially for the horse that don't come with the springs pre-installed.

Yesterday I got on Tesla for the first time in probably 5-6 weeks and she was perfect like we'd been doing it every day. Just walked, but worked on a little more bending and leg yielding off the circle, and she did a few big yawns when I got off.
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:43 pm

I want to see these awesome QH's too. I understand being hesitant to post video, I was for years. But I've gotten over it. I'm human and make mistakes/don't look like a model rider. But I've found this forum to be a great place! I don't know if I would post one on COTH, but here and *certain* groups on FB have given me nothing but good, realistic feedback. Or just "thanks for sharing!"

I get it though. It's hard for me to watch my own videos at times. But as they say, we are our own worst critics!

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Re: Re:

Postby Ponichiwa » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:49 pm

Kelo1 wrote:Also, we may need to start a gold horse or gold QH club because, as of a couple weeks ago, I'm eligible to be a member :mrgreen: I have acquired a 2yo gelding with a ton of chrome and he makes my heart go pitter pat. He seems to be a big ol' happy dope, and I can't wait to see where he goes. I don't have any good pics yet but here's a teaser.

I'm seeing some similarities!

Hope your new guy is as fun as mine has been!

Kelo1
Novice

Postby Kelo1 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:56 pm

Thank you, I am really excited about him. He's just 2 this year, so there won't be a whole lot going on for awhile except me dreaming about him grown up and blossomed. He's fresh off the ranch, so he's a little wooly and a little wild. We have plenty to work on to get him civilized.

Straightforward, I'll PM you some videos when I get a chance. I sure don't mind sharing them in private context.

Yes, I have a lot of progress yet to make. I've gotten this second trot, as it were, in lessons this past year, but never got it while showing and for sure never understood what was going on. Part of what was so frustrating for me, you know? The past month or so, I'm getting to where I feel like I really understand it and can call it up in an instant, and he's getting strong enough to do it. Bless the Cowpony and my patient instructor as I move along the path. I had a super lesson this past weekend, I was like, OMG look at this trot! I feel it! and my instructor said something like "I've been telling you that all along!" and the comment made me laugh. There is so much to learn that she was trying to get me to do all this stuff a year ago, but I'm just now starting (starting!) to understand it. It's so very humbling.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:51 pm

awwww another golden pony! congrats! Those faces!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:40 pm

I think a lot of the second trot thing is fitness and muscular development in the horse, too. As I progress on my horse shopping odyssey, I'm seeing horses that have stalled out in one way or another because, although they obviously have the build and latent movement to go further, someone got greedy and made them physically or mentally uncomfortable and they just decided that this was too much like hard work and not a lot of fun. What I don't know is how rescuable that is.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:48 am

I am really enjoying the Pivo. With Maia still being a gigantic pain in the ass about getting in the trailer (a friend's helping me now — she want me to trailer us out to go trail ride, and is completely ignoring my other mare who loads just fine :lol:), thus not being able to get out for lessons, it's really useful to see myself. I can't correct in real time as with mirrors, but it still works for self critique. And I can share the groundwork with both mom and my aunt — dressage riders — for critique.

Kelo1
Novice

Postby Kelo1 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:15 pm

A snapshot of my Sam. I sure hope he turns out to be as nice as Queso!!!!

Sorry he’s filthy, but we’re still at the “let me catch and touch you” stage of his training, so the whole grooming and bathing thing will be awhile down the road.

He is starting to like me, though, has now started meeting me at the gate the past couple days. I loff him already.
Attachments
7EA6F7A5-B9E6-4B0E-B5D4-7AE0F50738CE.jpeg
7EA6F7A5-B9E6-4B0E-B5D4-7AE0F50738CE.jpeg (159.74 KiB) Viewed 7172 times

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:29 pm

Kelo1, he looks like a really nice little guy!! Congratulations!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:05 am

Wow, he is going to be lovely!
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:29 am

Nice, Kelo! I look forward to following his progress.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:25 am

Wow Kelo! He’s a hunk! Please keep us updated with LOTS of pics! What do you call him?

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:18 pm

love seeing the golden ponies! Sam and Queso might need to do a pas de deux at some point!

I have made the decisions to fully pause the changes with MM right now. I am also making myself comfortable with the idea that we may never have clean changes and therefore never make it back into the show ring. I hate that we're one score away from our bronze. But I need to be ok with that option. However, I do not plan to slow down the training with MM. Even if we never get clean changes, there is still a lot I need to learn that she is the perfect partner for. I do not know how to train and ride canter piris, piaffe, passage, nor do I have much experience with canter half passes. I've just never really had any real time with a horse above 2nd level. And even if I don't get to ride those movements in the show ring with MM, I will hopefully get to ride them in the show ring at some point and so I may as well learn to train and to ride them and there is no partner more forgiving than MM for me to learn on. There's also no reason I can't learn to count strides for 3 and 4 tempis even if her changes are a hair late behind. I also think progressing the training without obsessing on the changes is the best shot we have at actually getting clean changes. I'm still trying to convince my trainer of this plan forward. But I think I will succeed at convincing him. My goals for the year are to get a consistent, easier canter half pass, progress the half steps under saddle and in hand, and a get working half canter piri (these come naturally to her), and to continue improving our extended work (always a WIP with her). I am hopeful that this work will set us up for a better shot at clean changes once we have these pieces in place. But even if we don't succeed in that front this work will be valuable and rewarding. And MM loves to learn new things and so moving the bar forward with her is always the right choice.

RP and I are still working on getting show ready for end of Feb. I am still debating whether I will do training and first or just training this show. I would like to try to qualify for regionals at training, so perhaps I will sign up for 3 tests on sunday (2 training, 1 first) and if we get the scores we need for training, I can scratch the other training level and do a first level debut. I can also see how he is at the show and whether I think he can handle the first level work. I don't want to him to feel over-faced knowing how sensitive and nervous he can be. It's a bit of a waste of money to sign up for 3 knowing I'll scratch one. But the cost of classes is almost the least expensive part of showing.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:32 pm

So we survived our first real deluge of rain in the desert for many, many months and of course where of all places? but the horse show. I still laugh because despite showing on the East coast my entire childhood and young adult life I have been rained on or rained out at more shows in the desert than anywhere else. At least this show had a contingency plan so it was not cancelled. I first want to begin by saying [again] how much I love, love, love my pony. We hauled in (over an hour) all three days of the show. He stood on the trailer during the rain. He had absolutely no warm up in any of the show rings. He stood patiently on the trailer after our rides waiting for hours (literally) for us to get our tests back. He didn't put a hoof wrong. We're building up wee bit of a fan club due to his stellar behavior and of course the judges all commented on how cute he is. I was having to remind myself that not only is he still 6, coming 7 in March but this was only his 5th recognized show and 8th show overall if we add in the schooling shows. His predecessors had all by the same age been to 20-30 shows and were 'well seasoned'.This show, however, was a good reminder of the dangers of only riding at 'home' in front of your regular crowd.

I rode the same test once each day and in front of each of the three judges there. All were in agreement that Junior isn't ready for 'this level'. The judge (not an official at this show) who was coaching me also agreed but more so that we're not ready for 2nd test 3 since we've scored mid 60s at the other two second level tests in the past. We were definitely lacking in strength and balance and thus, engagement - more so we had it in spots but couldn't keep it through a warm up and the entire test. So despite working on exactly those things for close to a year we were still missing the mark. Partly because of our saddle challenges during this time, partly because I do not have a full size arena and do NOT school the entire test until just before the show and mostly because the person I was riding with before had compressed our frame to the point that Junior (as I knew) was not really using his body appropriately - really, really close but not truly there. I am so grateful to the person who was coaching me. Within the warm up Junior and I got back our second trot (I've been reading the thread about the same). We discovered exactly how best to warm up, find the relaxation and then the movements. She also was able to give me specific tips on how to help in with some of the movements (much of which she taught me on Monty years before but I had forgotten, neglected and/or am guilty of narrowing my focus too much). We did, of course, leave much of our 'good stuff' in the warm up; but, at least I confirmed that we can do it. On Friday under Cara Whittages we scored a 58 and change but still came out third of eight. She commented on what a great personality Junior has (LOL, kind of a back handed compliment but there were loads of mistakes despite no errors of course). We had multiple people including my current instructor (L grad) state that they were shocked at how low the score was and thought the score should have been well into the low 60s. We returned on Saturday to receive a 60 and change from Axel Steiner and came in 2nd out of 8. He wrote on the test that despite being one heck of a cute pony he simply was not ready for this level. I had one of the best warm ups before heading into that test; so, it's really unfortunate we couldn't sustain it. We also rode in an indoor with a crowd of about 30 - the L grad program. There was one individual in a wheel chair who was particularly noisy and lots of horses had problems with it; but, not Junior :). On Sunday I rode for a 63 and change and won the class in all divisions, whoot! Melanie Kessler really liked Junior and I, which is a hoot since she is the one judge who about 24 years ago wrote in the comments of a first level test of mine, "Horse capable, Rider incapable". All judges gave me good marks as a rider and were in agreement of where I needed to work on Junior's weaknesses.

I had specific goals for this show and reached all of them. We have another recognized show in two weeks and am seriously contemplating a third one in March. While there weren't any monumental moments and no fear to any one that I'm going to be a threat for awards, I know my pony can do it. He scored 7s on some of his medium gaits. He also has a very nice and cadenced second trot. With strength and better ring riding I hope to see these scores go up significantly because much of where I left the points in the ring are areas that do not require a gifted mover to 'move up' so-to-speak. The fire has been sparked ;)

BTW, CONGRATULATIONS Kelo, what a cutie.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:47 pm

Kelo, your new partner is absolutely gorgeous. I am green with envy :mrgreen: Too bad you and Ponichiwa don't live close-by to each other.

Congratulations on a successful show, exvet. Sounds like you got some excellent feedback from all 3 judges, and have a solid plan for moving on. Junior really is a very special pony, you are so fortunate to have bred and raised him. talk about a proud mama! 8-)

I did manage to ride a bit so that's good. Tio continues to be well-behaved even when he's a powder keg. He did "explode" into the canter the other day, but came right back under control, so I have no complaints (except wishing I could ride when it's above freezing). Yesterday he thought about acting up a bit but with the arena kinda frozen, I think he decided it would be safer to just do what I asked. :roll: His leg yields in trot are getting really nice now and I've started doing large toh to trot. really helps him remember to engage that massive hind end without me losing his shoulder.

Rudy and I worked on creating a larger canter (lots of rubber band work) which he found a wee bit challenging with the footing as it was. Nonetheless, he managed to lift his back and engage his hind quarters and produce some really nice canter strides. Later, coming back from our cool down road riding, I asked for piaffe in a different way. I usually come down from collected trot, or ask after doing a lot of collected trot work with bouts of medium. Yesterday though, I asked for counted walk, and when that was solid, asked for piaffe. He found the whole workout challenging mentally and physically but he did not get frustrated. I think because I managed to sit very quietly and make my requests very specific with uber quiet hands. At any rate, by the end, he was straight, his back was lifted right up under my crotch and his neck was arching up and out to my hands. He managed to produce several clear diagonal steps practically in place, no swinging side-to-side, just not much suspension. I was super proud of him, and he knows it!

khall

Postby khall » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:02 pm

First Joplin is good now. Took a few days for the farrier to get her shoe right but fine now. Unfortunately though just in time to have a growth removed where her girth goes. Sigh at least I can work her in hand. Sitting at vet right now for Rip’s scope and her growth removal

Excellent exvet!! I know you are proud of Junior. So much fun when you get exactly what you want when you breed!! Joplin is not as far along as Junior but I am also extremely happy with my homebred. You’ll get there now that you are getting better help for the pair of you. His attitude is the biggest asset

Nice SueB! Counted walk to piaffe is hard!

What an adorable yellow pony Kelo!

I’m enjoying everyone’s updates. We have a very rainy week this week:(. T storms in January boo

Vet visit went well. Rip’s scope for cicatrix was much improved I was relieved but he is showing grade 1 laryngeal paralysis which is why I’m hearing the breathing still. But at this point should not impact him and I know tie back surgery can be done if needed. So back to full work for the big beast as I watched him throw a beautiful FC out in the field this evening. Joplin no saddle work for 2 weeks while her lump removal heals

Return to “Dressage Training”