Ring in 2021 in the dressage ring: January-February Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Ring in 2021 in the dressage ring: January-February Goals and Progress

Postby khall » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:44 pm

Which show blob? Yes very wet with another week of rain predicted here. I’m going to start quacking

blob

Postby blob » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:57 am

khall wrote:Which show blob? Yes very wet with another week of rain predicted here. I’m going to start quacking

The one at conyers last weekend of Feb. Chatt Hills is my closest venue, but this year instead of the usual 4-5 shows, they only have 2.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:29 pm

I won’t be riding at least until the middle of next week. We’ve had an unusual ice storm and unusually low temps. It’s treacherous to just walk outside because there is an inch or more of ice over everything and the trees are breaking from the load. Just doing chores is precarious.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:33 am

Been quiet, cold and snowy here in the Northeast. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed starting my new job working from home and am so pleased it’s been brain full filling and I’m really starting to contribute and add value. The flexibility has been great too, skipped out to the grocery mid morning during the week and it was a lovely ghost-town experience that I could zip in and out easily.

I have some mixed good news for once with Kora. My main vet came out to pull bloods for Vitamin E level check that we’ve been trying to boost and another Lyme titer post antibiotic treatment even though it’s too early to tell, I just need the data. Vitamin E levels came back still low so we are bumping up from 2000IU’s to 5000IUs. Lyme results were mixed as expected but acute levels down some so vet is happy with that and we will wait and test closer to April which is timeline that Cornell suggests post treatment. We chatted and I did a short Equioxx trial to see if that improved her under saddle. That was a resounding no, which at the time I couldn’t tell whether to be happy or not about.

The mixed good news is the saddle fitter came and well, my saddle is an all around bad fit for Kora now. It’s my belief that this all started back during her crazy growth spurt in the fall as she has hulked out from her medium treed saddle into a solidly wide. Like wide broad shoulders, wide wither, wide back... wide as the day is long. Played musical saddles with a bunch of options (everyone’s favorite game, not) and found one that Kora was most happy in and I could learn to like with some tweaks to fit me from the one I tried. I will just have to get used to a wider twist from a wide tree, but honestly anything to get her happy again.

I’m relieved and a bit embarrassed that the saddle had become such a bad fit. Our guru chiropractor/lameness vet is coming out next week as he was my hail mary please tell me how to fix my horse. I’m hopeful that will be the last piece of a very complex layered problem storm. Once I have his blessing I’ll give the green light to order a new saddle to specs. Gulp. From there trying to find someone to buy my saddle and a kidney to pay for the new one. Fingers crossed the UK opens up so they can make saddles and I might be getting back on in the spring...

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:37 am

Aleuronx wrote:Been quiet, cold and snowy here in the Northeast. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed starting my new job working from home and am so pleased it’s been brain full filling and I’m really starting to contribute and add value. The flexibility has been great too, skipped out to the grocery mid morning during the week and it was a lovely ghost-town experience that I could zip in and out easily.

I have some mixed good news for once with Kora. My main vet came out to pull bloods for Vitamin E level check that we’ve been trying to boost and another Lyme titer post antibiotic treatment even though it’s too early to tell, I just need the data. Vitamin E levels came back still low so we are bumping up from 2000IU’s to 5000IUs. Lyme results were mixed as expected but acute levels down some so vet is happy with that and we will wait and test closer to April which is timeline that Cornell suggests post treatment. We chatted and I did a short Equioxx trial to see if that improved her under saddle. That was a resounding no, which at the time I couldn’t tell whether to be happy or not about.

The mixed good news is the saddle fitter came and well, my saddle is an all around bad fit for Kora now. It’s my belief that this all started back during her crazy growth spurt in the fall as she has hulked out from her medium treed saddle into a solidly wide. Like wide broad shoulders, wide wither, wide back... wide as the day is long. Played musical saddles with a bunch of options (everyone’s favorite game, not) and found one that Kora was most happy in and I could learn to like with some tweaks to fit me from the one I tried. I will just have to get used to a wider twist from a wide tree, but honestly anything to get her happy again.

I’m relieved and a bit embarrassed that the saddle had become such a bad fit. Our guru chiropractor/lameness vet is coming out next week as he was my hail mary please tell me how to fix my horse. I’m hopeful that will be the last piece of a very complex layered problem storm. Once I have his blessing I’ll give the green light to order a new saddle to specs. Gulp. From there trying to find someone to buy my saddle and a kidney to pay for the new one. Fingers crossed the UK opens up so they can make saddles and I might be getting back on in the spring...

you aren't riding her?

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:07 am

Nope Chisamba, she’s been unrideable since it went to pot in late fall. Unless you count bucking, kicking out, rear and spin and booking it backwards rideable. She’s been one unhappy camper that I’m hopeful we’re getting to the root of finally.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:08 am

Aleuronx wrote:Nope Chisamba, she’s been unrideable since it went to pot in late fall. Unless you count bucking, kicking out, rear and spin and booking it backwards rideable. She’s been one unhappy camper that I’m hopeful we’re getting to the root of finally.

If she didn't respond positively to pain management, then I would begin to address her behaviorally. I know that I am just some stranger on Facebook, but it is my opinion that any horse ( even Deneb) should be manageable. it is a principle of safety . I am curious about what work you are doing with her. There are a few of us who do quite a lot of in hand work with our beasts. Khall and Kyras Mom, for example.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:37 am

Aleuronix, I suppose you have addressed everything you can think of but I wonder if kissing spines or a form if wobbles or some neurological issues could be in play.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:59 pm

Where pain begins learning ends. A previously happy horse does not make a behavioral turnaround like this on a whim. I'm committed to listening to what the horse is saying.

An ill fitting saddle on a muscle sore from Lyme could absolutely be the 'explanation' for the reactions we are seeing under saddle. A little bit of Equioxx isn't going to stop a saddle pinching anymore than someone taking Advil before putting on shoes 5 sizes too small.

I don't regret any of the diagnostics I've done thus far and certainly not to have our old school magician vet come out to take a look at her before I drop $$$$ on a brand new saddle.

And yes, we do lots of groundwork/TRT method/lunging/long lining stuff which she is all happy to do. Girl loves a good tarp :lol:

khall

Postby khall » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:37 pm

Aleuronx so Kora is ok with working on the ground it’s just US she has a problem with? Definitely a poorly fitting saddle can cause major issues. Did she not object to being saddled? Jingles you can get her to come around.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:06 pm

Aleuronx, I agree that horses don't act out in extremes like this without a physical cause. You are doing good in looking into this and checking so many bases! Fingers crossed that a new saddle helps with everything too.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:29 pm

Aleuronx, regarding the saddle...my Tio went from MW to XW his 5 yr old year, at which point I finally bought him his own saddle. I tried some Black Counties, some of which fit him, none of which fit me. I settled on Lovett and Rickets, which has the hoop tree he needs as well as the narrow twist I need. Having moveable and changeable blocks and serge panels were bonus features. I love the saddle, Tio loves the saddle because it self-adjusts as we go. I just need to find out for the travelling fitter how to get the front flocked. (She can't find the portal) Anyways, just because a tree is wider, doesn't mean the twist has to be wider.

Snowing sideways today, probably won't ride. All horses are still sound and happy, however. :D

khall

Postby khall » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:40 pm

SueB which Lovett and Rickets did you end up with? I tried one years ago when I was looking for Rip but the tree was scoopy rather than flat. I ended up with the BC Vinici which is a narrow twist compared to any of the other hoop trees I’ve ridden in. I like the serge panels too though my Adam Ellis does not have them.

Like I told SF I’m always interested in the hoop tree saddles. Not many out there and all 3 of mine wear one

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:02 pm

I think most horses have the potential to go to a wide+. The fitter with the Patrick Leggero I'm hoping to try said she didn't think from Annabelle's photos that she needed and XW tree, but in fact the tracings lined right up. I'm not sure if it's officially described as a hoop tree (they have 7 different trees), but from the photos it looked like more of a hoop shape. Tesla is a pretty good fit in the wide hoop Black Country right now, and she did not strike me as a horse that was going to get wide. It makes me scratch my head on how so many large WBs are working in MW trees.
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:14 pm

SF me too.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:16 pm

Y'all are blowing my mind! We tried a ton, at least a dozen or more just plopped on her on the cross ties and then narrowed down to sit in. The only one Kora relaxed and was fluid in was the Black Country Vinici in the wide+! I felt comfortable enough in it even though it was a too small seat size for me and I'd want a forward flap for my long femur. Definitely a wider twist but livable and certainly way better than some of the other saddles I sat in that felt like the twist was sitting on my dang inner thighs.

khall - It was so hard to tell if she was objecting to the saddle as she was objecting to touch in general.

SueB/Straightforward I feel the same way, how are these big honking warmbloods and draft crosses not all rocking these? I haven't seen a whole lot for sale used, is this just that people have them but not give them up? I am still in shock how much her back has changed and keep telling my friends no more young horses!

khall

Postby khall » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:05 pm

Aleuronx my young horse has been in a hoop tree since she was 4! I tried Rip’s saddle on her as a 3 yr old and it fit her. She’s a Lusitano WB/TB cross

Was the Vinici the X? The X is a hoop tree version of the Vinici and is what I’ve had for years. It fits all 3 of mine but my holistic vet prefers my Adam Ellis because the channel is wider. It fits Joplin beautifully

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:19 pm

khall - Yes it was the X. Very different look from the front under the pommel, so much room. Sounds like from some distant horse acquaintances that have these saddles that they don't give them up. Very different than the several people at my barn who went with Custom Saddlery vendor/fitter and are on their 2nd and 3rd(!!) new saddle.

I'm still a bit nauseous about the prospect of buying a brand new saddle. I've always been a scour the world for used type. The price is a bit heart-stopping but maybe the 6 week lead time after you pay the deposit is to get you used to the idea. A stimulus would certainly help in this regard, wink-wink congress...

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:15 pm

Aleuronx wrote:The only one Kora relaxed and was fluid in was the Black Country Vinici in the wide+! I felt comfortable enough in it even though it was a too small seat size for me and I'd want a forward flap for my long femur. Definitely a wider twist but livable and certainly way better than some of the other saddles I sat in that felt like the twist was sitting on my dang inner thighs.

This is the exact saddle I have. :lol: I bought a used ViniciX that fit my previous 15H round appy beautifully, but I couldn't keep my dang leg behind the block, so I had them make me one with a short block and a 1.5" forward flap and it is perfect, and has subsequently fit an old-style 16H warmblood, 15.2 Appendix Annabelle (for a time, now she has outgrown), and now 16.3 H more modern type WB Tesla. I've even ridden Susan's Kyra in it quite a bit with a little half pad magic. So you are right; I love it and will never sell it. If you do end up ordering a Black Country, I highly recommend the serge panels. IME they conform to the horse's back better, make the saddle a bit lighter, and more breathable. I can take pics if you're interested in how my flap and block look.
Keep calm and canter on.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:52 pm

Ooh, I would love to see photos of the flap/block you went with. We talked a bit about block configuration but it’s so hard to picture when you’re looking at a saddle with the full block what that would be like. Feel free to message me if you don’t want to block up our training thread. Sorry guys!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:14 pm

yeah, It amazes me that a lot of horses that I wouldn't "consider" needing wide trees usually end up in them over time with dressage.
I played the saddle dance a few years ago and yes had to get a new $$ saddle but it solved my problem and has been good ever since. Even with my good saddle checking my pony told me he wanted something else. Finding it took 2 yrs. I rode in a jump saddle believe it or not as that one was fine and got me by till I sorted out what prince picky pants liked.
Might be a concidence but this was exactly when he was doing more collection- the back just changes SO MUCH and he isn't a young horse.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:41 pm

I've got a saddlefit today with Norsey. ARghhh I hate saddles! But mine lifts up at the back in trot which is making my sitting trot situation worse. It gets me out of synch with the trot.
I do love my BC on Ding but Norsey has such a big high wither, plus is wide so it's a challenge.
I did ride in a different erreplus which had a straighter tree so didn't lift up at the back, a narrower twist - so much so that I had to put my stirrups up 2 holes- but at 7k no thanks. That's just too much $$ for my income.

Some pics from the comp. Poor Norsey in the trot one. I'm laughing because I am holding onto the monkey strap so hard but still bouncing, should have let him have more rein. He was a good boy, I think once we can get through this and fix saddles, fix his trot we should do better.

Norsey2.jpg
Norsey2.jpg (92.31 KiB) Viewed 8793 times

Norsey1.jpg
Norsey1.jpg (93.68 KiB) Viewed 8793 times

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:41 am

Laddie and I are living in lateral work land at the moment, lots of shoulder in to renvers on the circle at a walk and a trot, and it's really helping build the strength back in the right hind, as well as giving us more honest bend through the rib cage. I hesitate to type this out loud, but he's coming back pretty quickly. His stamina isn't up to much yet, a couple of circles of canter and he's looking to break (but part of that is my insisting on him firing that right hind correctly, which is very hard work and deserves multiple carrots, he tells me.)

In a related but different thought, I really watched my old horse with his rider last night, because he has an issue with honestly bending around the leg in one direction (much more with her than with me,) and what I noticed most was a) the placement of her leg--too far back for him to practically use as the pole to bend around, and b) her seat weighting. When asked to actually use that inside leg, she leant to that side rather than sitting square and putting her leg on, which threw both of them out of balance and allowed him to evade by popping the outside shoulder.

The more I look at how we ride, the more I realize how many issues are caused by us just getting in their way, which is food for thought when I encounter problems in my own rides.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:19 am

Flight, Norsey and you look gorgeous. What a powerhouse!

mountaineer, glad Laddie's doing well right now. I suspect you are right about us riders mostly getting in the way!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:00 am

Flight, Norsey is looking like such a hunk!

Moutaineer, I am right there with you. As I untangle some of my bad habits, Annabelle comes right along. Yes, it takes being a little more adamant about the change because we are sort of co-dependent, but fixing my position is helping to pave some of the potholes in her training. One thing I really struggle with is turning my torso to the right, and surprise, she always falls on her right shoulder and doesn't bend right. Tonight I thought for some reason of the image of hitchhiking- turning my right thumb up and out, and opening my right hand more to the inside. Lo and behold, my upper body could turn, and her bend was much better too. I'll need to downplay this from the more exaggerated version I was using tonight, but it breaks the pattern and helps to fix a nagging problem. I actually first figured it out because I've been lunging her more and noticed that has started to lift herself so nicely into canter on the left lead, but on the right, struggles to maintain bend, and even drops the right shoulder and ducks out. Keeping the right hand more up and out to the side in the lunging kept her in better flexion and she achieved some better T/C transitions as a result. A lot can be learned from paying close attention to the lunging!
Keep calm and canter on.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:23 am

Flight - lovely pictures! I need a monkey strap...
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:07 pm

Aleuronx wrote:Where pain begins learning ends. A previously happy horse does not make a behavioral turnaround like this on a whim. I'm committed to listening to what the horse is saying.

An ill fitting saddle on a muscle sore from Lyme could absolutely be the 'explanation' for the reactions we are seeing under saddle. A little bit of Equioxx isn't going to stop a saddle pinching anymore than someone taking Advil before putting on shoes 5 sizes too small.

I don't regret any of the diagnostics I've done thus far and certainly not to have our old school magician vet come out to take a look at her before I drop $$$$ on a brand new saddle.

And yes, we do lots of groundwork/TRT method/lunging/long lining stuff which she is all happy to do. Girl loves a good tarp :lol:

I asked this above but you ignored it so I assume you think I am an ignorant bitch not worth listening to. but for the sake of your horse I am going to put myself out here again and feck the consequences.

have you looked at kissing spines, broken neck or spinal processes? when you first described her response it sounded like a heat follicle. I didn't follow closely enough to realize her response to riding was so extreme. but in my ( stupid, ridiculous, ignorant) opinion the response you describe is rarely about saddle fit. nor is it a common Lymes symptom. saddle fit on sore Lymes muscles is the most common excuse I have heard from people overwhelmed but maturing behavior. if you're horse goes from an easy animal in ground work to panicked pain response perhaps you are missing a vital diagnostic.

now I will shut up and go away. sorry I didn't shut up and go away as promised. Saddles fit will cause and solve minor to slightly more dramatic issues. saddle fit is important, but it's not a magic pill and will not cause or solve major issues

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:25 pm

No shame Chisamba. The vet visit tomorrow will be taking care of that aspect as I stated in that exact post.

I am quite loathe to drop that amount of cash on a saddle if we have bigger issues e.g. spine related. We will absolutely be clearing that up before we move forward.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:30 pm

Fingers crossed that something works out for your Aleuronx. Good that you are checking out her back etc before the cost of a new saddle. Since I've just ordered a new one for Norsey I'm feeling the burn of that!
It's hard to say over the internet about behaviour, but I had to help my friend with her newly started horse who came home from the breakers fine and then turned really unhappy. Biting/Striking/pissy ears and we went through similar vet/ulcers/saddle fit things first until I finally did some training things and that sorted him out.

So Norsey's getting a new saddle. Ended up with a loxley, it's on order and will take 3 months! Argghh the wait. I rode in 4 different ones and I could actually sit to his trot. Still bouncy but much easier especially when I went through the stuff that you guys helped me with (sit on my bum, shoulders back and down, sternum up, hips following etc).

Ding's going great. Got 15 1x yesterday! I'll share vid cause I was pretty excited that he's getting the hang of it! My bum still bounces out of the saddle but I think its from him bouncing hard with his hind legs to do them. So, now I'm guessing I need to do a lot less and work on quality and wait for him to be more stronger.
(videoed with pivo/iphone X on 4k resolution. I'm starting to use this more than soloshot)

https://youtu.be/N74p4Rf4VUM

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:52 pm

Hope Demi is okay in TX - severe weather and power loss there.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:56 pm

Josette Kelo and ponichiwa are too. Definitely jingling they are ok.

Flight Norsey looks awesome! Ouch on the saddle $. Yeah Ding! You’ll be going down CL at GP before you know it!!

Nothing to report here. Rain and in between rain trying to get ready for more rain

blob

Postby blob » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:43 am

Flight--Ding and Norsey both look fabulous!!

Aleuronx let us know how the vet visit goes. Hope you get some answers soon!

Both of mine are doing well. MM got her first full set of shoes yesterday, but vaccines today so she'll have a few days off while she's sore from shots. RP and I are focused on getting ready for next weekend's show.

The other thing on my mind is that i'm at a bit of a crossroads with my coach/trainer situation. The trainer i've been working with for the past couple years is one i really like a lot. However, lately he's gotten busier and busier and it's been harder and hard to schedule him. And honestly, the fact that we have fallen to such a low priority on his scheduling has me feeling pretty bummed even though I'm pretty sure it's not personal. So, I have a few options to consider:

1. keep riding with him and accept that it will be more like a monthly lesson than a weekly one and try my best to progress that way
2. try to find another coach who will come to my barn -- it's been a couple years since i've had to search, but last time I did there were not many good options who would do this, so this may not even really be an option
3. move my horses to the barn he's based out of. That barn is further away, more expensive, and i don't think the care quality is as good. It does have a regulation dressage arena and trails, both things I don't have now. But also on the chance that the depriortizing IS because he's less focused/interested in me as a student then i would be very unhappy i moved
4. There is another trainer who I like quite a bit and have worked with before. I can't afford her board and she doesn't travel for lessons. But she does have horses I could take lessons on. So, i could try occasionally do lessons wit her on other horses to keep my overall education going even if it's not on my horses directly. But she is in the opposite direction from my barn, so that would also be a day that i would not be able to ride my 2.
Last edited by blob on Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:53 am

I’m doing ok, thanks! It’s a mess because TX isn’t prepared for this kind of weather. I was born and raised in Michigan so I tease my Texan native DH that the reason the roads are still icy after a week is because the only thing Texans know about ice and salt is how to make Margaritas. I can’t complain because we have it better than a lot who are without power and water. We only have power intermittently but we have a wood stove and lots of firewood, and we have water since the stove keeps the house warm enough that the pipes dont freeze.

I wonder about Kelo, Ponichiwa, and Texsue...

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:44 pm

Also have MI cred-- went to school in MI-- so I have the wardrobe to get through this weather.

My house, unfortunately, doesn't. Thanks to 4d without power (in a house with electric heat), had several pipes in the attic burst despite having the water shut off at the main and drained via all the taps in the house. Must be several low spots. So I'm hunkered down waiting for one of the 15 plumbers I've called to get back to me. Unsurprisingly, everyone's busy. Good news, though. Power is back on and hasn't flickered in over a day.

All the horses are happy and healthy although they're starting to get pretty fed up about being in stalls since Sunday. Between snow/rain/extreme cold (all in the space of 4d. Neat), the pastures aren't in any shape for hooves yet. Queso is currently in 2 winter-weight blankets and a hood and looks pretty dashing. Hauling water from frozen-over tanks to get to stalls; hope we get water back in the next 3 days.

Hope all other Texans are staying safe and warm in this weather. Has not been a fun unscheduled break from work.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:43 pm

Glad to hear from some of our Texas residents. You've been on my mind. From past experience with ice storms and wide spread power outages, it is no joke to manage.

We continue trotting 10 minutes out of our 45 minute PT sessions. So far, so good.

Kelo1
Novice

Postby Kelo1 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:17 pm

I'm doing OK, but am praying for those in south Texas and the ones trying to care for large amounts of livestock, like ranchers -- they're the ones that are truly suffering, and I have many friends that are in the middle of the worst of all this.

I live in the northern part of Texas, and we're not totally unfamiliar with winter so the houses are built more prepared, and there are snow plows. We also are on a different power grid than east and south Texas, so basically that means we've been enduring rolling temporary power outages but not sustained ones like they're suffering down south. I've had heat and power and to date my property hasn't suffered damage, but I have friends that have.

It has been difficult, to be sure. My horses suffered, and it's been tough for me as I was watching my own and my neighbor's place. When your horses are used to 60 degree temps, well, a week of below freezing temps and days of negative 20 temperatures with blizzard conditions is really a struggle and I've been so scared of them getting sick. I don't even have a barn -- just sheds, and my new one is still too wild for me to put a blanket on, so he's basically stood and shivered all week. My poor horses!

But according to the forecast it's supposed to start warming up here starting tomorrow, and back into the 50s and 60s next week, so hopefully I"m through the worst of it.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:13 am

I thought I'd show a bit of my work with Caliburn. it is quite amazing how patient one had to be when a horse had to learn to carry weight and build muscle after spending most of its life as an inverted pulling horse. but I do think he is starting to show a difference. sorry about the snow in the pictures it blew in through and under the doors and when I dragged it spread instead of dissolving
Attachments
SmartSelect_20190919-195705_Video Player_240x281-01.jpeg
early days
SmartSelect_20190919-195705_Video Player_240x281-01.jpeg (36.31 KiB) Viewed 8528 times
Screenshot_20210218-235041_Video Player-01_320x296.jpeg
current
Screenshot_20210218-235041_Video Player-01_320x296.jpeg (82.96 KiB) Viewed 8528 times

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:18 pm

Chisamba, huge difference!!

Thinking of everyone in Texas right now!!

This week warmed a little bit so I was able to ride again. I was supposed to have a Dressage lesson but things were chaotic when I got there. So the trainer (who I've ridden with three times lol) was like "I have to leave, so sorry but go ahead and ride." So at least I got to ride still since I drove out there!

Then a jumping lesson yesterday. Seeing a prospect on Saturday. Fingers crossed!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:30 pm

Looks like a different horse, really nice Chisamba!

I have a lesson tomorrow. I usually try to do 2 days when my instructor is here for the weekend, but Annabelle has gotten a little fat and lost some fitness, and our indoor footing is not great, so just one this time. Thought I might haul out to ride this afternoon, but a Big Work Thing dropped on my yesterday, so that is not happening. Just hoping our outdoor arena will drain and get worked by early next week so we can get back after it.
Keep calm and canter on.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:52 pm

Shit. my best girl just passed away. I am so sad. (My dog)
I will try to get back to riding. Riot has the green light to go back to work.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:26 pm

Darn, Ryeissa. So sorry. Try to remember that your best girl had the best life.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:10 pm

I am sorry to hear that Rye. :(
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:16 pm

I’m so sorry Rye. Godspeed to your best girl.

Thinking of our Texas friends those who are here on the board and those who are living that nightmare. May it be over soon

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:38 pm

So sorry Rye.

Chisamba, what a difference!

I thought Texas was a hot dry place?? I've never been there though.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:15 pm

Flight Texas is the land of extreme weather. It’s such a big state that it can be impacted very differently depending on where you live. From hurricanes to ice storms and yes drought too. This weather they’ve experienced this week though is out of the norm. Also it is impacting pretty much the entire state with cold ice and snow. South Texas especially is not used to it. That coupled with how they ran their power grid has led to this catastrophe

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:36 am

So sorry to hear about your dog, Rye.

Chisamba, huge pat on the back for helping your guy find his 'real me' and strength to carry himself in a better frame.

To all suffering in Texas, my prayers and well wishes for a swift recovery.

As for our small corner of the world, Junior and I had an awesome lesson last Sunday and again today. I have some homework that will require me to increase my time in the saddle on him. Trying to figure out how I'm going to fit it in but where there's a will there's a way. Brandon is inching along and well, Ace, is simply a big puppy dog, thank goodness. Spring is just around the corner. I hope it brings sunshine and happier days to all.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:33 am

Ryeissa wrote:Shit. my best girl just passed away. I am so sad. (My dog)
I will try to get back to riding. Riot has the green light to go back to work.

I am so very sorry.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:54 pm

So while everyone is posting fabulous videos of flying changes and such, I decided to share a very simple snippet of how I try to keep my horses relaxed in work by alternating stretch work, transitions and.lateral work. nothing spectacular, s simple and imperfect snippet of daily riding

https://www.facebook.com/189275818633/v ... 427515570/
Last edited by Chisamba on Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

demi

Postby demi » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:49 pm

That’s really nice, Chisamba. Thanks for posting. One of the things I like about this board is that we show what we are talking about.

It’s thawing out here and I hope to be riding again in a day or two. I don’t know how long it will take to get both myself and Rocky back into the routine. I may not reach my goal of sending a test video in for judging.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:56 pm

Not gonna talk about the weather except to say, "I hope Y'all down south thaw out very soon and stay safe!"

Rye, so sorry your best girl has crossed the bridge. ((((()))))

Congrats Flight on both your horses. Jingles Norsey's new saddle comes sooner than expected.

Thank you for sharing your video Chisamba, lovely.

Thinking about doing a virtual show here in Idaho with both horses. SF and Kyra's mom, will you join me?

Return to “Dressage Training”