Postby Ryeissa » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:42 pm

OMG_ we have the same pony in different colors :) so lovely
I love the turnout and browband.

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: March-ing into 2021, and April too - Goals and progress

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:52 pm

And... how did I miss Heddy's mishap!?

I hope you are starting to feel less sore. Darned horses already.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:01 pm

Dang heddy!! Horses. Drink more wine!

Yeah I got kicked yesterday. Sore as all get out but not impacting walking or riding. I was stupid and my old mare reminded me why I have to be cautious with her. Don’t mess with her hind end while she’s eating. Smh

Best ride on Joplin today!! How many young horses can you work on yourself while riding one handed? I just love her!! One weird quirk she has though is she has to poop every time I first get on. It can take a few minutes for her to actually do the deed but she will keep stopping until she does. Once she’s pooped she’s a metronome in her work. Too funny

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:39 pm

Wow. Blob. Just from that one photo, I can see why you got those scores!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:08 pm

heddylamar wrote:I can't even lunge, since I'm supposed to stay off my feet entirely.

Well boo. :( And freaking oww!

Really nice photos blob, love everything about your turnout too. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Khall, from the sounds of it you could sell many clones of Joplin! Annabelle never poops under saddle, but about 75% of the time when she sees me walking up to her stall with tack she goes out in her pen and poops. It's just sound preparation. :lol:
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:11 pm

Had a great trail ride on Brandon today. Can't beat the current weather. I schooled Junior in the arena. His stamina at the canter does seem to be improving. I got some of our best canter walk transitions too. We have a lesson on Sunday before our show next weekend. Hopefully we'll get the thumbs up on how far we have come since the last show.......we shall see. I've noticed that Junior has started to kick when getting girthed up which he never did with any of my previous saddles; so, while I feel like this saddle has been a good choice (seems to fit him, sweat marks are right and balanced, saddle doesn't slip, back not sore when I palpate and it's the perfect length) I'm going to send it back after the show to get it refitted. Fortunately that came with the original purchase price.......

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:17 pm

Well at least I got one of my goals done! I have a horse!!

I can't wait to join in on this journey with you guys. I love reading about your progress, at all stages.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:10 pm

We are up to 45 mins walk/trot and getting back into it. Shoulder looks good, no regressing with added time. Started to add some lateral work and lenghenings. I'm in an emotional funk since my dog died so on one hand i think riding is great but I feel sad. I do feel better the more I ride, and I have such a great barn so that helps!
I will have a couple of lessons in march so that always helps!

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:47 pm

Congrats Lipsmackerpony88!! I can't wait to see your journey together. I have a soft spot for buckskins and he seems a looker that one.

demi

Postby demi » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:57 pm

I made my 4 rides this week. My energy level is still low but I don’t expect it to improve quickly. Today is day 7 of my better eating plan and I’ve lost 1.7 lost. It is going to be slow and I am okay with that.

Rocky has been a good girl. In the 4 rides we’ve had this week, after 12 days off, she has come back very cooperatively in spite of my low energy. I was depressed over the low energy and I videoed yesterday and was even more depressed because the ride looked sloppy. Today, however, i asked for just a little more connection and it made a big difference. I started the ride in a discouraged state of mind but when I told myself to just try a “little” harder I ended up with more energy. I tried a little and Rocky responded like a good friend. So much of dressage seems to be mental/state of mind. I know being physically fit is very important, too, but there’s a balance that I need to keep between mental and physical...

Flight and Khall it’s encouraging to hear of your successes in weight loss. SF, I keep meaning to take this over to the health forum, too...

Hang in there Heddy and Mari. And the horses that are rehabbing, Emi, Laddie, and Kora and Riot.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:58 pm

I went to the barn on my " day off" to ride my horses like a normal person. it was so fun

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:07 am

Argh, Annabelle had some swelling in the location of her DDFT injury today. :( She is not lame on it, so I'm trying not to think the worst. Put on a standing wrap and going back out later tonight to ice it and post a No Turnout sign on her stall. Hopefully I can get her in for an ultrasound this week. Jingles that it is nothing serious!

However, Tesla was a good girl today. It seems that she is actually giving me some honest try now, which feels like turning a big corner. She is trying to over-achieve and do this weird sideways canter thing, so I think we'll just stick to trotting for a while yet, but I'm happy to see her making the effort. Hopefully some more cantering on the lunge will help her sort out her hind legs.

I guess this is why I have two horses. Well, three. So one out of three can be rideable at any given time.
Keep calm and canter on.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:39 am

Argh SF! Blob, lovely photos of what sounds like very good work. Yay exvet, upward and onward. Humans getting hurt, i hope you get better!

We had a poles clinic and I'm please with how we're progressing. So much straighter and more forward. I'm working on a video, DH is trying out some new stuff. Meanwhile, I stole a few screenshots.

What won't show is his first stop at the 10" flower box where he stopped in the canter, threw his head up, and hit me in the face/chin and basically gave me whiplash. Why do I have to keep relearning that I can't lean forward early and to sit up going into the teensy tiny jump. Pic of said jump below. Sigh.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 3.17.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 3.17.49 PM.png (206.25 KiB) Viewed 8822 times
Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 3.12.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 3.12.50 PM.png (195.28 KiB) Viewed 8822 times

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:09 am

Getting smacked in the face a few times will sure help keep your butt in the saddle, Chantal! Ouch!

Damn, SF, fingers crossed its just an anomaly.

Laddie was a freaking wild man today. So much so that I got off and put him on the lunge, where he proceeded to trot round as if he was missing a leg. I think its hock time again. He gets spooky when he is sore.

If that doesn't work, I think we are done. Which is going to present a whole other set of issues.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:16 am

Chantal ouch! SF fingers crossed! Wine helps too. Sigh. Mountaineer oh no.

Decent ride on Rip today. Rode in the field which is his happy place usually. Got good swing through in the medium which was nice. And I took Joplin out on a hack in the field too. First time. Just walked her around for a turn did a tad of in hand and climbed on. She was a good girl so need to add this to our repertoire. I don’t have hills but do have slopes to ride up and down on.

And my gosh this horse is stunning. He’s the one for sale at the Valenca’s I’ve posted before

https://www.facebook.com/712816913/post ... 61914/?d=n

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:49 am

Heddylamar...OOOWWW. Do be careful and follow Dr.s orders. Those hematomas can rupture further...my Dad had that happen. Pretty scary whether the Dr. could stop the bleeding in surgery and whether the damage was the veins or the arteries. Luckily, it was the veins.

I have waited all week for the outdoor arena to be groomed...I am still waiting :roll: . As wet as it was, it just kind of sets up with a very crusty top and it needs to be worked to be able to do much schooling. Oh well. I am hoping by Tuesday when I go out, it will be done. Last week, I rode 3 times! She worked very well. The road construction and detour past the arena continues (probably a 5-10x increase in traffic :evil: ) and despite that, she is doing pretty well relaxation wise. Last time I blasted the music on my phone to kind of maybe drown out some of the road noise.

Since the arena was still not groomed, I just lunged today. One end of the arena was better...but right next to the road. Of all the traffic, it was a clanging horse trailer that set her off. This was after blowing off steam in turnout...bucking, leaping and rearing. I just thought the better part of valor was to not climb on today. One of the other boarders asked me how old she was...She will only turn 19 this year. So, at least she got some exercise today. I am dragging her outside to groom her. The wind takes a lot of the hair away and I don't have to do so much sweeping :P . I let her stand on her Surefoot pads while I do that. Today, I just parked her in the outdoor with the rope over her neck and groomed her. She stayed on the pads until I took her off which is unusual. She looked content and comfortable in her facial expressions. She still had plenty of starch when we went to work.

Jingles for all that need it be it for human or equine.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:48 pm

Little spotted pony is doing great. Its getting nice now so I hope spring is here early.
Each ride is better and better....

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:10 pm

Finally got cooperation with the weather and rode Thursday, Friday and Sunday (Saturday was beautiful and warm but winds gusting to 50mph :evil: )

First a Tio story...On Thursday, he was "too quiet" so I wisely decided to lunge first. He was being pretty goofy on the lunge and so to get him more focused, i thought I'd lunge him over a little crossrail (like 18" at the center): that usually settles him and improves his gaits. Well, he calmly trotted up to it, gave it a hard look and then soared over, jumping so high he could've easily cleared my 4' standards! :o Words fail me to describe how beautiful his form was, his knees tucked up by his ears, his stunning bascule. I forget just how good a jumper this kid is sometimes. After lunging, i wound up just hand walking him down the road and through the fields for a bit, but rode the other two days with modest success (too chicken to jump though.)

With Rudy, I focused on making sure my core was always engaged in keeping me open and up and my thighs stretched down. Experimented with different ways of sitting in the saddle at the trot too. he did not like the "light seat", preferring the fully connected swinging seat which, for some reason, I found crazy hard to do when collecting towards passage. Seemed to take a ton of strength to simply sit quiet and relaxed. :lol: I will need to confirm with Pivo, but I believe I was not in a chair seat anymore and that my leg is now sitting where it belongs. I noticed a while back that his canter was kinda sucked back, like pseudo-collected, so all canter work was done with a medium feel, which made for some spectacular downward transitions. Overall, it has been a very fun 4 days and my tummy muscles are a wee tired.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:48 pm

Happy Time Change, everyone! May your seasonal depression be lifted and your afternoon/evening rides be bright.

Off topic - Has anyone heard from Dresseur lately? Hope all is well with her and Miro.

Having a good run of rides on Queso, which has enabled me to get into his canter mechanics a bit (vs let him lope around like he's more than willing to do). It's exposed a bit of a hole in our work-- he's not quite strong enough behind to carry himself as upright as he offers to do, which leads to flying changes everywhere and general disorder. This is the "dressage isn't always pretty" phase of training, everyone.

So these next 7ish weeks, we'll be:
- Playing a lot with riding in position in the canter (shoulder-in, haunches-in, renvers--sparingly)
- Building elasticity in the trot-- interspersing lengthening and compressed/very collected trot, and some nice swingy stretch breaks. I try not to stretch him too much given that he's more than willing to throw his face in the dirt and dump onto the forehand, but we're at the point now that we can trust him to stretch honestly in a more uphill balance.
- Trying to get in a real clinic-- last 2 I tried to sign up for were both postponed due to COVID exposures

And as for me:
- Ride 4+x/week
- Walk 10mi/week
- Lose 8lb

So happy it's lighter later nowadays.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:43 pm

Kyra's Mom wrote:Heddylamar...OOOWWW. Do be careful and follow Dr.s orders. Those hematomas can rupture further...my Dad had that happen. Pretty scary whether the Dr. could stop the bleeding in surgery and whether the damage was the veins or the arteries. Luckily, it was the veins.

The ortho was very very clear exactly how bad this injury is ... much more so than the ER doctor. I was doing compression and ice, but not staying off my feet at all. I'm so lucky I didn't end up with an infection or compartment syndrome in the few days between ER and ortho.

I'm spending a good 90%+ of the day sitting with my foot elevated above my head, ice, and compression. And on crutches the rest of the time. I did reject the medical compression stockings in favor of wrapping my leg carefully, because the silicone no-slide bands at the top of the socks? Hella painful on all that bruised raw flesh :shock:

I've got a MRI Wednesday morning so the surgeon can get a clearer look at all this blood. It's a week out and it's not reduced in size at all.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:05 pm

heddylamar wrote:
Kyra's Mom wrote:Heddylamar...OOOWWW. Do be careful and follow Dr.s orders. Those hematomas can rupture further...my Dad had that happen. Pretty scary whether the Dr. could stop the bleeding in surgery and whether the damage was the veins or the arteries. Luckily, it was the veins.

The ortho was very very clear exactly how bad this injury is ... much more so than the ER doctor. I was doing compression and ice, but not staying off my feet at all. I'm so lucky I didn't end up with an infection or compartment syndrome in the few days between ER and ortho.

I'm spending a good 90%+ of the day sitting with my foot elevated above my head, ice, and compression. And on crutches the rest of the time. I did reject the medical compression stockings in favor of wrapping my leg carefully, because the silicone no-slide bands at the top of the socks? Hella painful on all that bruised raw flesh :shock:

I've got a MRI Wednesday morning so the surgeon can get a clearer look at all this blood. It's a week out and it's not reduced in size at all.

I hope they can tell you something helpful. Lotsa jingles!!

khall

Postby khall » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:39 pm

Jingles heddy!! And for all who are rehabbbing themselves or horses.

Interesting ride on the TB/perch Juliet today. Wanted to put her in a double since she has a problem with bolting with her tiny older rider who can’t stop her. So I put Rip’s double on her which fit her nicely and damned if she did not go well in it! Much lighter and in better self carriage she’s usually a tank to ride. I’m hoping this will be a good answer for her. Still don’t think she’s the right horse for her 100 lb soaking wet rerider older Ammy but maybe this will make safe at least. She tried to have a couple of spooks with me hit that curb as I said no stay here threw her head for one step and then right back to work. It diffused her. Jingles it’s the right answer!

Gaila looked good lunging a bit and went to work when I climbed on. Need to get on Rip still and put Joplin over the cavaletti. Loving these loving these spring days and more light!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:57 pm

heddylamar wrote:I did reject the medical compression stockings in favor of wrapping my leg carefully, because the silicone no-slide bands at the top of the socks? Hella painful on all that bruised raw flesh :shock:

Well if there is one thing horse people have, it's much better wrapping skills than the average patient. ;)

Annabelle's pastern looked better this morning, but some definite heat in it. First available appointment with the vet who I trust most, and who looked at her last ultrasound, is on Friday. So hand walking and stall rest for her until then.

Tesla will be my lesson horse this weekend. Maybe the silver lining is that it's the right time for me to spend some more time and get her to step up and start adulting a bit.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:18 pm

well, the sun was out and I was so excited to be riding in fairly pleasant weather today. But my plans turned into getting terrified horses to focus as the neighbor decided it was pleasant enough to target shoot nearby. one of my new horses in training was real super stressed and riled everyone up. the silver lining is that he belongs to a very nervous adult amateur, so at least I know to be careful.

the other silver lining was being able to work with each anxious horse in a safe environment and get them a bit more trusting.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:52 pm

Thanks Chantal and khall <3

Straightforward, should I admit I'm using track bandages too? :lol: They go on SO much smoother and even than those awfully cheap elastic human bandages orthos have sent me home with for years.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:45 am

Lots of jingles, Heddy--that sounds nasty.

You remind me of when my husband had his first hip replacement back in the days before the more keyhole surgery they do nowadays, so it was a pretty ugly wound. I asked the nurse to show me the dressing, so I could change it for him at home rather than having to drive him to the doctor's office for them to do it.

She was first of all worried that I'd be squeamish about it. Err, nope. Then she made a complete pig's ear of the dressing change to the extent that I did the horsewoman thing and just took over from her. I then had to explain to the poor woman that I had just been through a particularly harrowing but highly educational wound-care experience with a horse and that this was nothing in comparison.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:03 am

So, being brave by posting videos. I see lots of stuff to work on and thought these would show you guys what we're working on. Poles or dressage, basics are basics. The poles have been helping my dressage immensely. Quiet hands and body, hands a little lower, not allowing him to fall on his forehand, keeping him off his right shoulder especially in the canter. Lower leg not so far back. I'm so thankful this is DH's covid hobby. It has helped my riding immensely. I pour over the videos, be overly critical of myself, work on what I can on my own, and go back the next time with questions. But overall, I'm pleased with our progress.

Flat work
https://youtu.be/pKSFJk2ct20

Poles and low bounces and lines
https://youtu.be/HzNj4NDOQ_c

demi

Postby demi » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:40 pm

Thanks for posting the vids, Chantal! Nice work. I loved watching Mikey on the little jumps. He’s a character!

Heddy, take care of yourself...hope you come out of this strong enough to kill that horse :lol:

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:56 pm

nice videos Chantal!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:58 pm

A bit in a motivation funk but I suppose that is to be expected- nothing with horse per say but we have been inside all winter, dog died, boss is a jerk, etc etc. I have two lessons next week so that might help. It's probably a good thing that my "getting the horse back" fit is actually boring since everything is going so well. (He got hurt in mid-feb but luckily it was short lived- just being careful)
I'm not feeling bad about it, just meh. I am probably just a bit depressed this week

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:36 pm

Rye, take care of yourself. I hope you job troubles and sadness are soon past.

Chantal, I enjoyed your video.s.

Heddy, healing jingles.

Moutaineer, how is Laddie ?

hope all horses and humans are on the healing trend.

It was a beautiful day here in North NJ today. 50's . Pop joined me for a trail ride even thought the paths were still snow covered. Riding was such a pleasure. Kimba tries so hard at everything, sometimes she is too enthusiastic. Caliburn is also a real volunteer. my training horses are progressing. I so.love the sun

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:06 am

Mikey is really focused and thinking hard through all of that work, Chantal! Such a nice horse (and rider, of course, goes without saying!)

Laddie has the vet coming to see him on Saturday...again. I "think" it's just hocks, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at any longer. Farrier tomorrow, and he's usually pretty devastatingly objective, so we'll see what he has to say.

We've had lovely weather for the past few days, and now it's snowing quite hard... spring in the mountains.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:17 am

Heddylamar, thinking of you while you're healing up. That sounds absolutely brutal I'm so sorry!

Chantal- thanks for sharing those videos! Mikey is SO adorable. It was nice to see the influence of the half halts, some very clear moments there! You ride him well.

Ryeissa, I'm sorry things are tough. I hope your lessons wi bring some much needed cheer.

Mountaineer, jingles for Laddie. We are bracing for about 2 to 3 ft of snow here on the front range. Ugh

Chisamba, enjoy that sun!

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:40 am

Thanks all, Mikey is such a character. He has so much try and I love seeing and feeling him think about stuff. We have so much to learn. I feel so lucky to have found him.

More jingles for Laddie Moutaineer.

And for you too Rye. I hope you find a spark and something a little extra to enjoy.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:14 am

Chantal, Mikey and Tesla would make a striking matched pair!

Now that Tesla has found her try, she is almost over-achieving, like she wants to offer canter but can't figure out her legs. Definitely need to work on right lead more on the lunge line, but we did canter all the way around the big outdoor on the left lead tonight and she got much praise. I so hope we are past the growing roots phase so we can move on to some actual training.
Keep calm and canter on.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:48 pm

StraightForward wrote:Chantal, Mikey and Tesla would make a striking matched pair!

Now that Tesla has found her try, she is almost over-achieving, like she wants to offer canter but can't figure out her legs. Definitely need to work on right lead more on the lunge line, but we did canter all the way around the big outdoor on the left lead tonight and she got much praise. I so hope we are past the growing roots phase so we can move on to some actual training.

I agree. Goals!! :D

You'll get there with Tesla, you work so hard and we've seen the difference in Annabelle. So excited to watch your progress.

Just keep riding is my mantra :D

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:14 pm

Sending good vibes, healing vibes and inspirational vibes to all who need them or simply could use them. I can so empathize with some of the stressful and sad/bummer things that have been happening to all; but, as has been noted there have been some very happy news of late such as new acquisitions, some gorgeous weather in certain parts and spring is right around the corner! Though work has been particularly stressful (we lost two more of our profession to suicide this week), we are lucky to have this addiction called horses and focus on dressage. I cannot emphasize enough how lucky I've been for the horses in my life. At least for me just coming home to 3 sets of eyes all glued on me 'willing' me to the barn (of course food is their goal) forces some of the stress into the background. Having goals with each horse even if it's just the sheer pleasure of working off a winter coat through brushing melts so many negative thoughts for a little while. We're heading out with some of the neighbors for a nice relaxing trail ride and then Junior gets another clip job before the show this weekend.

Chantal, I share your mantra.......and when I can no longer keep riding, I'll drive the horses........or just work on trick training, etc. I blew another disk in my neck some time this past week so realizing that there will be a day when I can no longer feel my hands or place a foot in the stirrup makes me cherish each day I can ride.

Happy trails y'all.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:33 pm

thanks, I think it's going to get better. Just takes time. DH is very supportive and I don't need to edit anything with my horse due to a job loss, etc.
Its just going to affect my lessons somewhat but I can still do some. At this point I am limiting my interactions with my bad boss and focusing on happier things.
I am hosting and riding in the show in april so that should help. prob doing 2:1 again.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:29 pm

Oh gosh exvet, are you okay? Discs suck, DH has issues with his. Hoping it heals and settles and you are okay.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:18 pm

thanks to everyone for the kind comments re: RP and our show.

Sending healing vibes to horses and humans, sounds like this month has been a bit of an ouchy one for many!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:08 pm

It was lovely and warm but still covered in icy snow.

meanwhile my BFF, who rides at my barn had a sick horse. she had trailered over and used one of my stalls and the blood work indicated virus. so I started some biosecirity measures but the horse was diagnosed with an ulcer, so phew.

but no, not phew, more horses at her farm with symptoms, and my son works at her barn daily, so again biosecurity. well now she has two in hospital and one deceased. it's awful. I know all those horses and sold her three of them.

a bit stressful.
Attachments
20210309_134440_240x240.jpg
snowy trails
20210309_134440_240x240.jpg (52.05 KiB) Viewed 8423 times
20210309_130344_320x288.jpg
sunny day
20210309_130344_320x288.jpg (85.68 KiB) Viewed 8423 times
Last edited by Chisamba on Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:31 pm

how scary, Chisamba. Jingles for your friend's horses and keeping fingers crossed whatever it is didn't make it to your barn. Please keep us posted.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:59 pm

Chisamba, I'm sorry for your friend and her loss. I sure hope it doesn't make its way to your barn! This stuff is scary.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:04 pm

That's awful, Chisamba. I hope your horses are safe.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:14 pm

Oh no Chisamba! I thought ehv1 was only in Florida. Jingles your crew stays safe

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:50 pm

khall wrote:Oh no Chisamba! I thought ehv1 was only in Florida. Jingles your crew stays safe

the state lab is testing but we don't think it's ehv1.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:09 pm

and just as a caution, it is believed that the farrier brought it on site. so reminding your service givers to disinfect is a good policy
Last edited by Chisamba on Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:13 pm

Wonder what it could be that is killing horses? Scary

Over the years I’ve dealt with sick horses from viruses. They usually run a fever and go off feed for a few days then are fine. Joplin did this in January.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:44 am

Yikes all, healing thoughts to those that are in need.

Chisamba that is frightening about disease and sad about their loss. Fingers crossed they get some answers on what it is and you don't have exposure on your property.

I've been reading along of all the EHV1 occurrences in Europe and in the US and am hopeful that it can be somewhat contained and not devastate more people and their critters. Khall- as of current it's been identified in FL/PA/NY and CA.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:54 am

Ugh. Good thoughts, Chisamba. Yes, it may be time to start instituting better biosecurity all round. Many years ago, I had a horse get strangles from the equine dentist who wasn't quite as careful as he should have been about disinfecting his tools between barns. He took it all over town. and caused a great deal of trouble.

We are working out how to isolate new boy when he gets here.

Mr Laddie got his feet done yesterday. Once again, when that LF shoe and pad came off, it was abscess-stinky--I think there may still be "something" draining in there. No obvious signs to the farrier though. We will see what the vet says on Saturday.

Return to “Dressage Training”