March-ing into 2021, and April too - Goals and progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
chantal
500 post plus club

Re: March-ing into 2021, and April too - Goals and progress

Postby chantal » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:26 pm

Oh Chisamba, hoping all is well at your farm. My heart goes out to your friend.

exvet
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby exvet » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:43 pm

Here when the bigger shows get into high gear, usually this time of year, we get outbreaks of ehv1 and strangles. So far it's been a relatively quiet year. We had one scare that I know of in the west valley but the one horse that died was 33. Never got a confirmed diagnosis. Chisamba, hoping you get an answer and all is confirmed contained soon.

Woke up this morning to pack the trailer, load the pony and head down to Tucson. It's pouring rain! Goodness knows that if we want rain in the area, I just need to put cash into a recognized show....LOL.. Waiting for the rain to let up so I can get moving and hopefully get on the road some time this morning.

quinta
Herd Member

Postby quinta » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:45 pm

We've got a few EHV-1 infected barns in the area (Ontario) and it is scary. Hoping that the biosecurity measures keep it from spreading further.

Had a glorious few days of spring-like weather, so we've been hacking every day. I put the bareback pad on the baby for the first time, and she was a superstar. The rapidly melting snow meant many water crossings, some quite deep on a 14hh mare. Nia charged through everything without the slightest hesitation. She is proving to be a great combination of sensitive and sensible, and I have no regrets. :D

Nia-hacking.jpg
Nia-hacking.jpg (182.21 KiB) Viewed 10337 times

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:16 pm

awww I have been outside too! How fun! I'm just a bit south of you in minnesota, so we usually have snow till April. We have no snow anymore and it's strange but I'll take it!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:57 pm

Nia is adorable!

Positive vet visit for Annabelle. Vet agreed she looks sound on soft ground but a little sore on hard. Ultrasound indicated the old injury site looks good, but some of the scar tissue aggravated the tendon sheath. He said put her right back to work and a week of Previcox.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:10 pm

exvet wrote:Here when the bigger shows get into high gear, usually this time of year, we get outbreaks of ehv1 and strangles. So far it's been a relatively quiet year. We had one scare that I know of in the west valley but the one horse that died was 33. Never got a confirmed diagnosis. Chisamba, hoping you get an answer and all is confirmed contained soon.

Woke up this morning to pack the trailer, load the pony and head down to Tucson. It's pouring rain! Goodness knows that if we want rain in the area, I just need to put cash into a recognized show....LOL.. Waiting for the rain to let up so I can get moving and hopefully get on the road some time this morning.

wishing you a good show and good weather

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:22 am

So here's a thing... laddie had a new bloody great big abscess hole in his heel today.

Vet in the morning. I'm wondering if there's a sliver of something in there.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:27 am

Moutaineer wrote:So here's a thing... laddie had a new bloody great big abscess hole in his heel today.

the silver lining is, abscesses heal, unless the cause is a deteriorating internal.bone. I lost my old mare to a series of dramatically more invasive abscesses which x-ray showed were due to coffin bone sequestrum and osteomyelitis

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:30 am

Ouch. Poor Laddie! I hope there's a clear cause — not a fan of mysteries.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:02 am

Ouch for Laddie! Certainly he just wants more of your attention.

ExVet, I hope you have a good show.

Tesla really turned the corner on cantering today. I think we made it around the arena all the way on both leads, and she did a nice up transition to the left just from my seat. Looking forward to taking a lesson on her this weekend (didn't think I'd be saying that), and hoping Annabelle will be up for doing a somewhat easy lesson on Sunday as well if my instructor can fit them both in.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:04 am

StraightForward wrote:Tesla really turned the corner on cantering today.

This phrasing made me laugh. Good work, Tesla :D

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:17 am

Chisamba wrote:
Moutaineer wrote:So here's a thing... laddie had a new bloody great big abscess hole in his heel today.

the silver lining is, abscesses heal, unless the cause is a deteriorating internal.bone. I lost my old mare to a series of dramatically more invasive abscesses which x-ray showed were due to coffin bone sequestrum and osteomyelitis

Yep, this is why I'm a bit freaked out--I lost a really nice mare to "just an abscess" as well, but, the last set of x rays 6 weeks ago were perfect.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:38 am

heddylamar wrote:
StraightForward wrote:Tesla really turned the corner on cantering today.

This phrasing made me laugh. Good work, Tesla :D

:lol: Most unintentionally literal statement. :lol:
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:29 am

So, testing came back positive for equine coronavirus. which is a bit ironic given the circumstances. Usually a fairly.mild virus, but about one percent have a neurological response, which is what resulted in Simon's death.

so we are in quarantine til March 21.

all horses are in good appetite with normal temperatures

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:12 am

Oh Chisamba! Hang in there! Jingles for you and your barn. I’m sorry for all your extra work.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:22 am

OMG. Jingles for your herd, Chisamba.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:19 pm

Yikes. Healthy happy thoughts to all who need it.

My last two weeks have been significantly less dramatic than those above. However, we are firmly in the flying-change-oh-you-mean-leaping-porpoise stage of installing changes on Queso. Going from his tougher direction (R) to easier (L), the changes are clean and prompt and pleasant. Going from easier (L) to harder (R), though, and there's a real chance that he's going to leap through it and around it and after it.

The joys of flying changes, guys.

I can tell that the greedier canter work (i.e. making him carry and engage vs. lope around pleasantly) is working-- his topline is looking great and the changes aren't always super dramatic. Just... you know, part of the time.

Stay sane and healthy out there, everyone.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:37 pm

Chisamba, Sorry to hear about your corona quarantine and hoping all remaining horses get through this okay.

Well we had rain, sleet and light snow for the show on Saturday! It was cold, cold, cold. There was a one hours delay and my tests were at least dry though blustery. Junior was a saint and we scored a 62 and a 63, losing to the only other welsh cob that I know competing in the state....by 0.5 points. In the test where I earned the 62 Junior's gait score was a 5 but I got 8's for both simple changes. Today he was pretty tired and a little cranky. Though we had no serious mistakes I got dinged on his attitude and his gaits so we ended with a 60 and the other welsh cob received a 61. She's related and has a much better walk than Junior hence the better scores for her. Still, I don't plan to sell this pony LOL. He behaved so well despite the weather challenges and the antics of some of the other horses. I had some very good schooling/coaching sessions with the one instructor/judge that I try to ride with every chance I get. Junior is really starting to understand engagement though we of course need more. She felt that Junior was more engaged and on my seat both days - so a little victory. At the end of the two-day show we earned two reds and a blue; so, not all bad - just cold, really stinkin' cold (even today with the sun).......and on Friday it's going to be 80, geesh....

khall

Postby khall » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:45 pm

Congratulations exvet. I know you are so proud of Junior and geeze that’s some nasty weather to deal with! I would have been a wimp and said no way. Even my saintly Joplin gets het up in windy conditions. Or at least pretty looky. Nice scores on your simple changes.

Happy riding all and jingles for all who are facing challenges whatever they may be.

I’m so glad to have this board to chat with you all. It’s fun to think I “know” people from all over who share this crazy passion of horses.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:53 am

Congrats exvet! Well done!

Jingles for health and safety for all creatures at your place Chisamba, gosh, yes ironic.

We had another poles clinic. Encountered the illustrious flowers yet again but this time we were prepared. He was very good, and I did my part. No pictures as DH had his second vaccine appointment today. But his flat work is getting better and better and I'm feeling more and more things. I'm also aware of more and more things we need to work on. Like not falling apart as soon as we get to the other side of fence. Works in progress. We didn't even look at the spread today, that's progress!! I was getting in my head and decided to stare off a tree and count strides instead. The instructor will stand at the end of the arena and make me count her fingers so I look up so I did my own version of looking up. Worked a charm, no freaking out over the oxer. Go figure. Now to channel his fitness for good...

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:41 am

Chisamba - Jingles for healthy horses! All these viruses need to just f-off.

Exvet - nice work perservering through that weather to get some good placings!

Chantal, love all the jumping you're doing with Mikey. I really need to start some baby jumps with Tesla in another month or two, and get Annabelle back at it too, now that the footing isn't alternating between muck and frozen.

I got to take lessons on both girls today. It was good to have some encouragement and get some pointers on Tesla. Annabelle and I were put to a good exercise of cantering a circle, transitioning to trot just before two poles, trying to go over them staying round and cadenced, then cantering off again right away. This helped her not go so flat in the down transition. Overall we had a nice ride, considering the week off while waiting to get a vet's eyes on her leg.

Pole exercise with A;
https://youtu.be/vuxcMjeMCvs

A little trot/canter with T:
https://youtu.be/u3-LGRudIbE
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:59 am

Congrats, Exvet! Sounds like some seriously less than ideal show conditions, but some really good work despite it. 8s on your simple changes--wow!

SF thanks for sharing video--your girls both look great. Tesla is really starting to look grown up now.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:11 pm

SF-look at Tesla!! She and Mikey would make the handsome couple, that's for sure! Can I borrow some of your position please? You are so quiet in the saddle. It's beautiful to watch, and what I am striving for. A and T must be such different rides. Love the videos!

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:41 pm

Jingling for EVERYONE that needs it.

SF--Tesla is a brickhouse! So nice she has decided to quit calling the union so much and go with the program. She looks lovely and soft (at least in the video ;) ).

I have gotten back to riding since the weather has evened out. We have had quite nice mid-Spring conditions. Kyra is doing fine but man, am I disgusted with myself. I had the 15 lb stay at home weight gain. Managed to lose 11 of it but have gained 5 back since Mom moved in with me :P . I feel roly-poly in the saddle which of course affects the horse. My back felt better but right now is not liking canter one bit. At least I have two other gaits to work in. My last work was good though. I wasn't so 'out of it' (the saddle) and I was very pleased with her. We did about 20 minutes of arena work then went to another area that has some obstacles set up and fiddled around over there. She was very obliging. It at least got her out of the main arena and looking at something a bit interesting. I am hesitant to try and cross the road to go to the track with the huge increase in traffic but I might lead her over today (it is gorgeous again). She did a very nice two sets of SW last time I was out. I am now able to get the lift with just 'scooping' the stick in the air and saying lift instead of tapping her. I would say, she is more willing and it is a unique aid. Sometimes, touching her (anywhere) results in her throwing her front foot out when she is a bit confused (or pissed :lol: ) and I may be in the strike zone :o . So I am trying to reshape my aids and so far, it is working well.

I am trying to clean up my diet. I am working on ditching refined sugar. I am doing some exercise every day but nothing terribly structured. I am so paranoid of hurting something else in my zest of getting fit, I have been sticking to walking, my vibration plate and the lateral trainer (outside of riding). I will be "fully vaccinated" for COVID as of this Friday so maybe I will see if I can get a PT consult to help send me down the right path? My back has me more than a bit concerned with it's state of on and off sciatica. I do not want it to be only ON like the last time I blew a disc. All one can do is keep trying...which I will.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:24 pm

Thank you Blob and Chantal. Yes, they are very different - trying to adapt to Tesla's canter while she was also just testing it out was interesting to say the least!

Kyra's Mom wrote:SF--Tesla is a brickhouse! So nice she has decided to quit calling the union so much and go with the program. She looks lovely and soft (at least in the video ;) ).

You'll have to come see her soon! She really put on some size over the winter but not much height - still hoping for another inch in the withers to get a little more uphill balance, but I'm not sad that she hasn't hit the 17H mark! She is surprisingly soft in the bridle for such a big horse. I am thinking of trying her in a Novocontact bit to see if I can get a little more solid feel to the bit, but I'm not going to go changing things up right at the moment.
Keep calm and canter on.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:13 pm

Since it was a truly gorgeous weekend (Sunday in particular) I got to ride 3 days in a row! 8-) Of course, Rudy was the only one who had to actually get ridden all 3 days, but Tio had 2 and Rabbit had 1, with all but Rudy also being lunged every day. I intended to Pivo on Sunday, but of course, the wind came up in the form of big "dust devils" that would've knocked over my camera so no go. On the plus side, DH harrowed my arena while I rode Rudy out and about (3 miles or so) and so I had a lovely riding surface for T and Rabbit. Also Rudy very much enjoyed his workout outside of the arena.

Tio: Saturday was coolish and breezy so he had a bit of the "squealies" while I worked him, but no mis-behavior. Sunday I lunged him lightly just to make sure he wasn't going to do airs-above-the-ground every time a big wind came roaring through. He was great under saddle (no antics on lunge either) and I was able to do multiple t-c-t both directions around the arena. He even started to listen to my hh in the right lead canter. There's hope for us yet I suppose, lol. I have a lesson scheduled (I think) for April 10, a semi-private with a friend. You know, SF...I'm a lot closer AND my Tio is also a red-headed tank, hint, hint. Of course, Tesla will be going 2nd level by next year while Tio will still be trying to pass training level, lol.

Rudy: It's all about me being the best rider I can be so he can do what I ask. I like to think we are making good progress but I really need Pivo to prove it for me.

Rabbit: She was so much stronger on the lunge that I finally threw the western saddle on her and rode around a bit with ds holding a lead line just in case. She is hyper-responsive to leg aids and has what feels like a completely uneducated mouth. She did not want to walk with me on her, insisting on doing a very nice, soft, slow jog instead. I can only assume she'd been taught that at some point. She can do a nice working trot as well but couldn't hold it for more than a minute or so without getting anxious; I think that's lack of strength. I got her to canter a few strides on the lunge both directions but she stops and faces me after only a few strides with a look on her face that says "did I get that right?" So bottom line is I have a very sweet, very green little mare with a high desire to please.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:54 pm

StraightForward wrote:
You'll have to come see her soon! She really put on some size over the winter but not much height - still hoping for another inch in the withers to get a little more uphill balance, but I'm not sad that she hasn't hit the 17H mark! She is surprisingly soft in the bridle for such a big horse. I am thinking of trying her in a Novocontact bit to see if I can get a little more solid feel to the bit, but I'm not going to go changing things up right at the moment.

Yes, I will. I don't blame you on holding off on the bit change. Having gone through bit hell with Kyra...

I was short on time yesterday for the barn visit so just lunged Kyra. I did SF's canter---trot thru poles---canter exercise with Kyra on the lunge. After a few passes, she really changed her posture and was much more 'collected' (even though I don't use side reins). It is really evident the change in her posture despite no 'trappings' on her. I put her on her Surefoot pads afterword and she seemed to enjoy them staying on them for a good 5 minutes. It is highly unusual for her to stay on them for more than a couple minutes and especially near feeding time which is when I was out there.

Even that (hauling out a couple poles and walking around in the uneven footing) got my back riled up. Damned thing. Before I visit a PT, I am going to dig out my exercises that I have gotten for my back problems from my previous 5 or 6 episodes for my back...it has only been an issue since I was in college :P . I was thinking about it and remembered I have a file with all the exercises I have gotten for ALLL my PT visits over the years. I will try helping myself first. COVID has certainly made me a little less likely to run to the doctor or whatever. No real reason as those places should be safe. However, as of Friday AM I will be FULLY vaccinated. Yeah. It would be nice if soon, they could figure out for how long? Still an unknown at this time.

Susan

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:15 pm

well, back to the land of dressage- things are going well! Going to see if TOH is reliable enough for the show in a few weeks as well as C/W/C for 2:2. I'm ok if its not super perfect as this is a schooling show....I will at least do 2:1 and since its my show (literally- I am the manger!) I am ok if people ride the same one twice. I did 2:1 last fall and it was ok, better than I expected but I'd like better 10m circles and well....everything :lol:

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:19 am

I got a little crazy, or brave, or just really wanted to have a sit and wander around. So we long-lined like we normally do and I scampered on and she was a doll. Just a short jaunt around the indoor feeling every bit of a wide thelwell. I'm feeling better about the saddle on order, she is every bit a wide potato.

Thelwell.jpg
Thelwell.jpg (161.24 KiB) Viewed 9896 times

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:57 pm

awwwww! so cute

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:58 pm

Aleuronx wrote:I got a little crazy, or brave, or just really wanted to have a sit and wander around. So we long-lined like we normally do and I scampered on and she was a doll. Just a short jaunt around the indoor feeling every bit of a wide thelwell. I'm feeling better about the saddle on order, she is every bit a wide potato.

Thelwell.jpg

happy dance

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:21 pm

Hurray Aleuronx!

Quandary time here: we are having a string of exceptionally pleasant days, weather-wise, but because I've adopted a ride-every-day-you-can philosophy earlier in the week, Queso has worked 8 days in a row and is starting to look pretty tired. Would you:
- Ride, but take it easy (trails, etc.)
- Ride-- sunny and 65F days are rare, so you may as well work in them!
- Take a day off and just groom/handwalk

Torn, but don't want to overcook the Melty Cheese.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:30 pm

Yay for Ryeissa and Aleuronx! Glad both horses are going in the right direction and you were able to get back on a bit!

Ponichiwa, I think I would either do a trail ride or some other type fun activity or just do ground work/groom. I'm pretty conservative about that type of stuff though. Enjoy your good weather though! We recently had 24 in of snow. It's starting to melt although we have a lot of snow on the ground still now mixed with a lot of mud!! So I totally understand wanting to enjoy the good weather!!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:43 pm

really pleased with my horse this week- the sitting trot has always been hard for some strange reason (I commented on it in the sitting trot thread) anyways, I am so thrilled that this is becoming a non-issue so I can use effective aids as I try 2nd/3rd stuff.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:37 pm

Ponichiwa, I would hack Queso to refresh his brain while keeping his muscles supple. Rudy LOVES his hacks, especially exploring off road or trail.

My back was pretty sore from riding my guys so I had to take a couple days off and then I fired it up again by lifting and carrying a 50lb feed sack. Sometimes it's so frustrating. Hoping to ride today. Good news, lesson is scheduled April 10 so I can't back out. :P

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:29 pm

Ryeissa, glad the pieces are coming together!

She B, sorry about your back. Back issues running my family...it's a tough thing sometimes. I hope it feels better soon and that you do get some rides in!

I got my new boy, Lynx out from his paddock today. He's sharing one with three other nice geldings and they all are getting along. The mud is going to be horrific after getting 24 in of snow... I hope it dries up before summer!

I just walked him into the indoor arena and then let him loose just in a little round pen that's in there. He was good when he was on the lead but when I took him off he definitely wanted to call for friends and had a few stress poops. But he wasn't dumb about it and once I took him back in hand he listened. So far I'm happy with how he's doing. Going to play a pretty low key for the first few days to let him settle in.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:35 pm

I took Ding to a working equitation comp, about 3 hrs drive away. It's a great facility and I've always wanted to ride there, it's where the Sydney 2000 Olympics were held.
I was going to drive up on the day, but fortunately decided to go up the night before and camp over. Glad I did, because Ding got there and was all "Hey, where am I, I've never been here before". He never plays up, but his little eyes get very wide and he just doesn't quite listen to my aids, there's that delay where they're not quite with you.

It was also very hot and humid, we aren't used to humidity and Ding being fat, black and hairy does struggle a little.

Even though he doesn't look it, Ding is a bit spooky and takes a while to get used to different things so when we got disqualified in the Maneability phase, I wasn't overly surprised. He didn't want to go backwards through the gate, I'm sure he was thinking I was trying to put his bum onto it! He stopped and looked at a few different things and then did a bloody great poo over their pretty bridge!

So, I just need to get him out to some different clubs and keep on practising.
He did a nice dressage test (even being a bit distracted) and we had fun doing the speed round:
https://youtu.be/j6XM9RpQ0JI

Ding4.jpg
Ding4.jpg (112.15 KiB) Viewed 9809 times

Ding1.jpg
Ding1.jpg (109.71 KiB) Viewed 9809 times

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:57 pm

What a nice fun change of pace, Flight! That Ding is such a hunk.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:18 am

Interrupted in mid-post there...

I had my first lesson on the new boy today. We kept it very low key--he's a bit short on stamina at the moment, as the altitude is taking it's toll, I think. He's about 4,500 feet higher than he's used to!

He was a very good boy--didn't put a hoof wrong and tolerated my somewhat tenseness very kindly. I have to learn how to ride him--particularly how to ask him to canter, it was neither pretty nor effective today and that's all I'm saying about that! Riding a new horse is a humbling experience.

Trainer loves him for me, too--so far :)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:56 am

That looks like so much fun Flight! Looks like Ding is enjoying himself too. :D

Moutaineer, glad things are starting out well with the new guy. Very exciting!

Apparently the novelty of cantering has worn off for Tesla. We got a little bit yesterday, and today she was back to stalling out. Sigh. I know her well enough by now to know I will just have to wait it out and get her more responsive in the trot. Today there were jumps set up about 8' away from the fence on the long sides. She thought this was a bottleneck and kept bogging down between the fence and the standard, so once she kept her trot and went through the bottleneck I decided to call it a day.

Annabelle continues to improve and is staying much more through. She is getting much more fit and I have to be careful not to over do it because she will just keep going. Her leg still has some filling, but doesn't seem to be bothering her one bit. Yesterday I hauled her out to ride and she was pretty tense, then would settle in start working really nicely, then be set off pronking by the tiniest thing like a horse quietly picking up a lope 50' away. Clearly she needs to get out and about as much as possible if there's going to be any chance of showing her eventually.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:20 am

like Flight's ding, Kimba does not seem spooky, but is, insomuch as it interferes with her responsiveness, and quality of gait. so we are really really really working on relaxation and elasticity. yesterday I had a good opportunity to practice. we rode outside and Deneb is in the pasture alongside the outdoor. For one of those reasons only Deneb understands, she started frantically galloping the fence line, and on a couple of occasions giving the impression she was going to try come over or through the fence. Kimba tried very hard, and mostly succeeded in maintaining her composure and relaxation. as usual thought she was constantly anticipating. I ran through av test as is we were at a show to see how rideable she was in the tense circumstances, and she tried. My working student brought Caliburn to be ridden and Deneb's antics had him stepping high , head in air and snorting and even then Kimba hung on to her composure.

So it took Caliburn the whole ride to settled down, but he eventually stretched into contact and went to work.

on the other hand, Saiph became nearly unrideable, but two of my barn friends came up with uber calm horses horses and I stayed in the saddle.

so the moral of the story is Kimba is the best, Caluburn needs more warm up, and Saiph becomes very tense in a scary horse galloping environment

blob

Postby blob » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:47 pm

Great news, Rye--glad the work is coming a long nicely.
Interesting to hear about the different reactions, Chisamba. How is your friend's barn doing?
Sending healing thoughts, SueB
Flight, you and Ding look fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing the video, it was really fun to see. I would love to get into WE with MM. Do you set up obstacles to practice at home?

Been an unproductive stretch for me. MM pulled a shoe, then I had car problems that kept me home bound for a few days, and then we had some very wet days. Hoping to use the weekend to get us back into work. I've been thinking through coming up with a more structured training plan, esp with my access to regular instruction changing. I've tried to plan out the next 4 weeks in terms of what I want to focus on and what kind fo strength building I want to do. I find so often with strength stuff I say things like 'ok, I want to use poles to build strength' and then i do them once one week and again two weeks later and then forget about them for several weeks. And well, that's not how you build strength. So, trying to build in a weekly cavelletti/gymnastics day with the plan of growing/building. Let's see if i can stick to my own plan ;)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:54 pm

blob wrote:ok, I want to use poles to build strength' and then i do them once one week and again two weeks later and then forget about them for several weeks. And well, that's not how you build strength. So, trying to build in a weekly cavelletti/gymnastics day with the plan of growing/building. Let's see if i can stick to my own plan ;)

I do this too! I'm going to start a Cavaletti Challenge thread. Maybe we can share ideas of exercises and check in through the end of April at least.
Keep calm and canter on.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:23 pm

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:46 pm

How timely StraightForward, Blob and Ryeissa. I just got back from a lesson on Junior with my coach who is based in Tucson. It was a really good lesson. Junior demonstrated that strength is no longer his problem. He is more than capable of sitting and engaging. What I need to work on now is maintaining relaxation through the back, length of neck all the while encouraging him to lengthen his stride (hing legs) now that he can carry and engage. My coach recommended cavaletti work in order to accomplish this and stretching exercises; so, the challenge is on!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:03 am

Ride # 3 on the new guy. He's being really, really good. Embarrassingly enough, apparently, I can't ride at all. I can't post his trot, we are all over the damn place. Fortunately it's easy to sit and he's more than happy to carry me.

I did manage to canter half a 20 meter circle today before I inadvertently asked him to stop.

I also managed a half pass--it just wasn't in the direction it was meant to go.

I can feel him rolling his eyes at me.

We have a lesson tomorrow, thank goodness.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:57 am

Moutaineer wrote:I also managed a half pass--it just wasn't in the direction it was meant to go.

:lol:

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:22 am

Mountaineer, sounds like he has a lot of cool buttons! You will figure them out.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:20 am

You will figure each other out Mountaineer. Aleuronx...good to see you on even sans saddle.

Well my horse activities ground to a halt for a few days. Kyra got her dental and vaccs on Thursday and I planned on giving her Friday and Saturday off.
Well, some nasty gastrointestinal thing visited me and knocked me on my butt. I finally went to Urgent Care yesterday when I started upchucking again. Tested COVID negative thank goodness since Friday I was 'fully' vaccinated (2 weeks after 2nd dose). They gave me a dose of Zofran there which helped but I neglected to inquire which pharmacy they were sending the Rx to and they sent it to my old one that is only open from 9a-1p on Saturday and closed Sunday. I called to have them send it to the current pharmacy (between 1 & 2pm) and they called me at 6:40pm to tell me they were closed--yep they close at 6pm :roll: . Good thing I feel some better today. Was able to keep down some BRAT stuff.

Kyra is getting trimmed tomorrow so hopefully by Wednesday, I am fully back to being among the living and can get back to working her highness.

Susan

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:01 am

Susan, gastrointestinal yuck us so horrible . feel better soon.

Moutaineer, I love your humor about the canter half pass.

I have had a full day's of riding, spring cleaning, and trying to cope with freezing nights and warm days and blanket on, blanket off.

I have really enjoyed riding outdoors but some of the horses think it's terrifying. lol.

Deneb is having spells of crazies, today she crashed through the gate taking out a post and leading her pasture mates frantically galloping around the farm. I just don't know what to do with her.

My Kimba had a lovely day, so she restored my faith in horses and my abilities to communicate with them

Return to “Dressage Training”