Tesla's stops and spin outs

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Tesla's stops and spin outs

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:33 pm

Good to hear your update, SF! I was thinking about this thread as my mare and I slowly return to some actual work. Let's just say it's been a bit shocking for Emi to return to some basic work and we've had our moments of stalling and incredulity :lol: even as she seems genuinely delighted to be doing more.

I like the motor power Tesla shows in the trot video. She is a lot of horse!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:44 pm

Thanks. Tesla is a bit of a late bloomer, but I'm really happy with how she is maturing.

I'm very happy to hear that Emi is making such a strong comeback. :)
Keep calm and canter on.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:16 pm

Just keep working on her trot and transitions. She WILL canter when she's ready, and, if she's like Tio, when she's ready, she'll just step right into the canter as though she'd been doing it all along. When I really wanted to start working the canter (before I got hurt) I did radually increase the number of circles he cantered on the lunge in-between transitions. When he reliably and happily cantered 5 circles, then I added in work on t-c-t to the point he could do 2-3 per circle. Made him a lot more confident under saddle.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:26 pm

She looks good!! Definitely improved to my eye. I also love your coordinated outfit!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:36 pm

She's physically matured quite a lot this year, hasn't she?

I think dressage quality, balanced canter transitions under saddle have got to be hard for horses until they have developed a bit of a hind end and understand how to use it and balance a human at the same time. Takes time...

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:40 pm

she looks much stronger!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:31 am

I can't resist sharing this photoshop my friend did for me today. :D

Last edited by StraightForward on Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and canter on.

Fzybtfrm
Greenie

Postby Fzybtfrm » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:30 pm

That's awesome. Maybe a little alien abduction would make her appreciate the good life she has on earth!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:05 pm

Love the yellow alien abduction. Canter motivation!

afrikando
Greenie

Postby afrikando » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:34 pm

Is Tesla a Weltmeyer, by chance?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:33 pm

She is out of a Weltmeyer mare by a DeNiro stallion. My instructor has met a few young DeNiro daughters who act like her, or even moreso though, so I'm not pinning it on the W right now.
Keep calm and canter on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:56 am

Quick update. Week before last I apparently pushed a bit much with trying to get the canter. It has been coming out of a big trot, and I nagged her too much to give more at the big trot. So then we had a couple miserable rides where she was stalling out. I went back to double-lunging for a few days just to get back in an obedience mindset, and have been double-lunging before riding the past few days. Also back to riding in a martingale because I feel that tendency to rear is still in there, though it hasn't manifest for several weeks.

I happened to read a quote from deCarpentry or someone the other day to the effect that a horse that keeps its energy away from you due to bad temper is better ridden from the thighs and hams, as it will block the lower leg. So I've been really trying to keep my lower leg quiet, riding with more of a driving seat than I would normally use on a youngster, and using my flapper whip for backup instead of leg when she gets balky. The past three rides have been successively better, and today I was able to get some trot where she stayed through with enough shortening of the stride that I could sit and aid for canter. She *almost* cantered, and although we didn't quite get there, I felt like it was a big step in the right direction. Still two stall outs at the beginning of the ride, but we seem to be making progress. She actually gave a pretty solid SI left today in trot, and is starting to get the idea of SI right, and almost seemed to be enjoying the work. Fingers crossed that the trend can continue. Next time there is trouble I'm going right back to lunging in SRs or double-lunging. I'm also taking more time tacking up, incorporating SureFoot pads and a bit of Masterson work to release tension that she seems to build as she anticipates working.
Keep calm and canter on.

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:45 pm

I commiserate StraightForward. I "broke" the left lead canter a few weeks ago on my 4 year old. Then I had to spend 2 weeks getting the left lead canter by throwing the reins away and basically "running" him into by asking for more and more trot. I also had to reward and be happy with him trying and maybe only getting the canter twice in a ride.

For us, besides his anxiety about it, not getting the left lead was a result of blowing out through the right shoulder and not truly being in front of the leg. So even if I couldn't get the canter transition, I could work on letting the trot settle or even die a bit, then putting leg on and voice aid and if he didn't jump forward, reinforcing that. Then work on adding forward but respecting the outside rein. He actually offered the canter a few times recently instead of the big trot.

Putting a martingale on definitely made me braver about reinforcing the forward. I also do better in our indoor if I'm nervous as our outdoor is unfenced and he can leave (and has done so). With Sami, I know when he gets "bunchy" and the nose and tail kind of crunches closer together, if I can't get him un-bunched right away, the best thing is to get off and lunge to reinstall forward. So don't be afraid to get off in the middle of your ride and reinforce what you are asking for if Tesla understands/is more willing from the ground. Sometimes I get back on and sometimes we finish there.

Last week, the running out the left shoulder tracking right has resurfaced, but the left lead is mostly back and confident. These young horses are stinkers! Good luck.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:05 pm

It sounds like we have some similar struggles, tl! I do joke that one thing I never worry about with Tesla is the ability to stop. I do try to get her forward on the lunge before I get on, but have not tried getting off in the middle. So far, I've always been able to ride her through until I get some semblance of forward. I think she is starting to understand that if she lets the aids go through, then I can help her feel more balanced and therefore happier to go forward. It is kind of a chicken and egg thing.
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Dressage Training”