May-June: Don't be afraid to set some goals and make it better

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
exvet
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: May-June: Don't be afraid to set some goals and make it better

Postby exvet » Mon May 10, 2021 1:22 pm

Kyra's Mom wrote:Quite the show exvet. I have had a couple like that. Totally unknowing that 2 horses can fall in love...or just be horses...in a short haul to a show.

Yeah, Live and Learn.............though I have to admit it's more a revisiting of past lessons :oops:

Here are the video clips of my tests. It's obvious in the first test (2nd 3) that Junior is still very 'high' and blowing me off during parts of the test. He's fixated on Brandon (you can seem my daughter holding him behind the judge) the whole time we go down the center line. I regain some, ahem, control intermittently; but, all and all he was still quite on the muscle. It's especially evident in my first serpentine of counter canter where his hind end is fish tailing all over and I'm just trying to get him to come through his back AND keep him from doing a flying change. It's why his first simple change didn't happen. I think he was headed to mars or something in the next stratosphere......LOL, I was, after a hard half-halt (ugly, ugly, ugly), able to get him somewhat back on my aids to finish the second pass at it a wee bit better.

https://youtu.be/G_tCTBjZAok

Though third level needs lots of improvement too, Junior was finally signing up for the program or at least realizing that he wasn't going to be untacked until he at least met me half-way LOL........

https://youtu.be/9BOnDI9Bs_U

I'm going to do my best to ride him at least 5-6 days a week. Hopefully this will accomplish more than a few goals though my greatest challenge will be 'staying ready' for the Welsh dragon mode as he gets fitter. Welsh Cobs are a blast when they're on fire as long as you have their cooperation; but, as I'm sure most of you can see that 'power' could backfire anytime the little pony that could decides to overdue it on his 'roid rage'.

demi

Postby demi » Mon May 10, 2021 4:09 pm

NICE tests, exvet! Very noticeable improvement since the last tests you posted. And I agree with you that there is definitely an “FEI horse lurking in there”! The medium and extending trots...wow! Thanks for posting your progress. I find it inspiring, and helpful in my own learning. I just watched through them once but will watch again later tonight with the test in hand. It helps me somehow to watch and read at the same time. And sometimes to rewind and watch certain parts again. There are plenty of tests on YouTube, some quite good, but I’m not motivated to study them because it’s just “one test”. On this board, we watch, and can see, as “our” horses progress and that is so much more interesting to me.

demi

Postby demi » Mon May 10, 2021 4:21 pm

Aleuronx, no ugly parts in either vid! Thanks for posting. Nice hint of the potential!

Kyra, I like to read your reports of walk work. I do quite a bit at the other gaits but sometimes all I can do is walk, and it’s nice to know that a lot of progress can be made doing the exercises at walk. When Rocky tore a front suspensory over a year ago, I spent several months at the walk and when I went back to lessons my trainer noticed marked improvement.

Good to hear Em is coining back, Piedmontfields.

Love everyone’s posts, really.

demi

Postby demi » Mon May 10, 2021 4:35 pm

I guess I need to post some goals.

1.) alternate between days of strictly concentrating on staying round and stepping under and
2.) days of riding first and second level movements minus the lengthenings at trot or canter.

I can get some nice lenthenings at both T and C but I need to have her really round and through first or she takes over after two or three strides. She seems to really enjoy the lateral work at both trot and canter and that takes some good collection, so I am thinking the lengthenings will improve on their own if I spend the next two months on the goals I’ve listed for this round...

My soloshot is shot :( . I got a Pivo but I have an iPhone with iOS 14.5 and Pivo is still working out bugs with that. Pivo won’t work for me at all till they fix that. When the pivo is fixed, I’ll start sending tests into virtualhorsesport for judging agian.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon May 10, 2021 5:41 pm

exvet I hope you're getting very good scores on those tests! Those med/ext. are almost as good as it gets at any level. I'm curious what you get on them. The "only" thing I could say to improve them is to bring the front end/head up a little more, esp. in the down transitions for a 10. Junior is a deceptive mover, in the best way. Looking at him you can't see it, but his trot and canter are truly amazing. The walk, well. What scores do you get on those?

I'm still lookin for some feedback on this music. The test is just a first go, so not nearly what we can do, but what are you first impressions of the music (which is all a judge gets.) I'm trying to figure out whether I should just finesse this, where I cut the music to the ride like most people do, or go back to what I usually do and create a ride around the music. Also, do you think the music fits? I am so caught up in loving the one piece that I may not be seeing it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DqtNhsZgyY&t=118s

blob

Postby blob » Tue May 11, 2021 12:33 am

thanks for sharing your tests, Exvet, you and Junior looked great and those extended/medium diagonals were a real highlight! But lots of great work throughout.

My trot extensions mine while are not so hot on either horse. So I've been trying to do poles once a week to help. Today, I set up raised trot poles for both of mine. And woof, what a fail. Both are pretty good with regular trot poles, but raising them was a no go today. MM either knocked every single pole down or tried to jump the whole lot. RP knocked one rail down and terrified himself and took to trying to scooting around to avoid what I'm sure he thought was going to be certain death by pole. We'll have to try again, maybe with every other raised next time...

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue May 11, 2021 3:30 am

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the support. Junior received 7 for each of the first medium trots in the tests and a 7.5 in the second medium trot in the 2nd 3 and a 7.5 in the extended trot in third 1. As for the walk he gets mostly 5-6 with a fair amount of 5.5. On the medium canters he received 7s in the second level test and a 6.5 in third and a 7.0 on the extended canter. I agree with you completely Tanga in terms of what would help improve them. I did more cavaletti work today which I think is going to help him with the strength of the hind end and the understanding of raising his forehand. As for feedback on your music, it may be my computer but I can't hear the music; but, I do hope and aspire that we can achieve the same degree of bend that you and your mare achieve.

I have a question for those of you who wish to answer......I have had several trainers/instructors/clinicians comment that the medium and extended gaits are my 'forte' in training. Now I've had horses that just really 'couldn't' but I was able to get the max out of them possible. I was blessed by a gifted mover early in my riding life and since then have had a 'knack' for really getting it out of a horse. Wish I could say the same for other movements, LOL. What do you think is your 'specialty'. I know of those I would go to for instruction on training canter pirouettes and those I'd look to for help with tempis.....just curious because I do think this board is a true gold mine of information, experience and support.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue May 11, 2021 6:13 am

Exvet I agree you have a gift for putting med/ext.'s on. Now teach us! I think I have improved mine by thinking slower and really stopping the faster, and teaching all of my horses "up," meaning get your butt down and front end up!

I think my training forte has always been tempi changes and pirouettes. Apparently I'm getting better at the half pass I lost. (Remember--the take the hands up and to the outside, or it feels like it!)

The music was a little faint, but if you turn up your sound, you "should" be able to hear it.

I think you got gyped on your med/ext scores. When I judge, I look for the 8's and 9's (haven't given a 10 yet, but looking) and at 2nd and 3rd level they were easily 8 or 9. Maybe drop to a 7.5 in the canters because of the drop in the neck. You have to give them when you see them! I hate that so many judges are reluctant to give the 8's or 9's when they see them. Every horse has an 8 in them.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue May 11, 2021 7:54 am

Exvet, thanks for posting your tests. I thought the trot work in both tests was very neat, and I agree with the other that the extensions are super! It almost seems like he gives you a better place to sit in the trot than in the canter.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

blob

Postby blob » Tue May 11, 2021 8:48 am

Gosh, sounds like I need to send my horses to you, Exvet and Tanga so to can put your strengths to good use!

Exvet--would love to hear more about how you train/develop extended trot work, it's a weakness of mine.

As for my forte--- I think my real strength is in starting young horses. It's the one place where I truly think I stand above the average horse starter. In terms of a single movement, I'm pretty good at getting horses to stretch in the trot. It's constantly a high score for me in tests and even horses that people say "don't really stretch" I can usually get to give an honest stretch into contact with some work. My challenge currently is that all my strengths are green horse/low level strengths and I'm finding it hard to get me bearing in harder work

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue May 11, 2021 1:45 pm

Demi, I hope the Pivo starts working soon! I need to start using my mine.

Exvet, I agree with others. Big difference from your last show videos with Junior. The extensions made my jaw drop! Wow. On the right path for your goals for sure.

Tanga, I'm not the right person to ask. But I loved the music and the riding.

As far as my strengths, I'd say I have a real strength for getting horses to be very relaxed and through. Stretchy trot is a specialty of mine although I kind of think it's probably one of the least useful things to be talented at. I love shoulder in although I won't say I'm talented at it. But maybe one day :)

khall

Postby khall » Tue May 11, 2021 2:23 pm

Exvet those are good scores for mediums and extensions. I have no doubt Junior will make it to FEI.
Tanga I just cannot hear the music very well and have no experience with FS s so have not commented

I’ve got Cedar scheduled for next month so am gearing up for that. Rain this week has not materialized yet so trying to get some horses worked while I can.

As for my forte there is a couple of things. One is figuring out different horses that I have the opportunity to ride. I’ve ridden other people’s horses since a teenager and there is no better way to learn that seat in the saddle on a wide variety of horses. I’ve also been lucky to have had the opportunity to ride upper level schooled horses which is a whole mother level of feeling incompetent lol! One I could not turn passage off. We could medium trot to passage all day but never just collected trot. I knew exactly what I was doing but could not stop the aids because I struggled to ride his trot sitting and would grip with the knee and thigh=passage:)

I’m also very good at teaching lateral work. I’ve always schooled my own horses over the years so I’ve had the opportunity to teach different horses the lateral work. Some have been so easy others not as much. Why I prefer to ride the lighter footed horses that are more mobile. They are a breeze to do lateral work with.

Hope all continue to progress and lipsmacker I’m with you on the pivo. I need to take the plunge and start using it. Technology just intimidates me! I’m not sure my iPhone 8 is up battery wise to the task is one thing I’m concerned about

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue May 11, 2021 10:33 pm

Life continues here. Trainer is riding Mr. P twice a week, and he's getting longed twice a week. He's making progress. So am I, literally painfully slowly--I'm out of the splint and working on mobilization. My goal is to try and ride in two weeks, but we will see--got to be able to curl that finger quite a bit better than I can now.

My superpower lies in turns on the haunches and pirouettes, so far--we'll see how it goes with Potters!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed May 12, 2021 12:27 am

I have been enjoying riding it when the spring weather allows. my part of NJ is pretty in the spring.
Attachments
saiphextended_240x370.jpg
saiphextended_240x370.jpg (87.94 KiB) Viewed 7258 times
_Saiphcanter5.10_240x364.jpg
_Saiphcanter5.10_240x364.jpg (87.04 KiB) Viewed 7258 times
saiphmedium_240x288.jpg
saiphmedium_240x288.jpg (69.67 KiB) Viewed 7258 times

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Wed May 12, 2021 2:19 pm

Love all the updates, and wow, nice photos Chisamba.

Khall, you could use a portable battery pack for your iphone? :
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Power-Bank- ... for+iPhone

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed May 12, 2021 4:15 pm

Gorgeous pictures, Chisamba. We are definitely NOT that green here yet. Heck, my lilacs are only, just now, thinking of blooming!

Continued jingles for you Moutaineer!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu May 13, 2021 2:36 am

Sue, the cheatgrass at Kuna butte was that green last week, so it is probably brown by now. :mrgreen:

Annabelle was a little silly for our trip to the arena she's we occasionally haul to, but nothing terrible. I switched her and Tesla to California Trace Plus about a month ago and suspect that it has played a role in her being less spooky (she was getting annoyingly spooky at home earlier this year). She did have some silliness over people standing at the edge of the arena talking, but after that we had probably her best ever W/canter left transition since she was powered up and I was able to get her more compressed and round.

When we got back, I double-lunged Tesla, who is getting quite handy at reversing direction in trot, and actually cantered both directions on just voice aids tonight. Next I thought I'd load her in the trailer since I had it there, and she somehow managed to slip and fall on a knee backing out. She trotted off sound 5 minutes later, so fingers crossed that it doesn't swell or have some damage that didn't show up right away. She loaded right back up in the trailer and backed out without a fuss, so it didn't seem to do any damage on the training side of things at least.
Keep calm and canter on.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Thu May 13, 2021 11:20 am

Tanga- I got a chance to watch your freestyle video. I do like the music especially the piece at the end and the passage was certainly a highlight of the test. I would say for higher scores I'd work on melding the transitions between music, there was at least one hard cut that was fairly jarring sounding and I know judges prefer music that sounds more like a cohesive piece.

Moutaineer sending you healing thoughts and at least you get to watch and enjoy him I hope!

StraightForward fingers cross Tesla is okay. Kora did that once backing out calmly at the walk, just slid down the ramp on both knees on some slippery $&!#. She was surprised by it but no worse for wear in mind or body so hopefully Tesla will be as well. I do try to pick out poos before I unload her now just to be extra careful as she stands well on the trailer anyway.

After my lesson I had a ride in which I ended up bridging my reins to let her thrash against herself as she was a bit excited to be in the outdoor and wanted to zoom around, that worked quite nicely. Then a very obedient and lovely ride the next day, no bridging required so we're getting there. Yesterday was a lovely warm spring day with enough breeze to send away the black flies so I took her out on the trail and had a great time just mooching about. Big smiles on both our faces after that.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu May 13, 2021 2:16 pm

Aleuronx wrote:StraightForward fingers cross Tesla is okay. Kora did that once backing out calmly at the walk, just slid down the ramp on both knees on some slippery $&!#. She was surprised by it but no worse for wear in mind or body so hopefully Tesla will be as well. I do try to pick out poos before I unload her now just to be extra careful as she stands well on the trailer anyway.

Thanks, I went up and checked this morning and she seems fine. What I think happened is that she had her head down, trying to sniff the trailer ramp and put her left front halfway on the very back of the ramp. If her head had been up, she would have just slipped off, but since her head was down, when the foot slipped off the ramp, her weight went forward and the knee buckled. It took me a bit to work out what had happened because it's a Hawk with a really gentle ramp angle and non-slippery mat material. The Featherlight I had before was steeper and would get much more slippery, so I was always super careful, but still had occasionally slips, so I would keep some arena sand to sprinkle on it for traction if it got wet/poopy.
Keep calm and canter on.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu May 13, 2021 4:09 pm

Tuesday Rudy did fc one way and hind only the other way. If the change isn't clean it's always because he's early behind. Trotted Tio 1 mile, then some lateral work in the arena. Wednesday (last night), I trotted Tio a little over 1.5 miles (this is through a grain field on an ATV track btw,) and then schooled canter in the arena. Rudy worked on rubber band stuff in the trot, while I worked on keeping my chest UP. I'm pretty sure I rode Saturday and Sunday but I'm not sure what I worked on. I know on one of those days I took Tio for a 4 mile ride out, but that's all I've got. Everyone but my one sister went home on Saturday, so the house was "empty" by 3:00 or so, and sis left very early Sunday morning (got her up at 4am.) The whole siblings + spouses/adult kids descending upon my little house for the funeral went okay, but I'm mentally fried. As executor of Mom's estate, I am the arbiter of who gets what, which would've been a piece of cake if it hadn't been for one spouse. :roll:

blob

Postby blob » Fri May 14, 2021 10:31 pm

taking inspiration from the speciality thread MM and I spent time working on lots of forward and back in the canter (thanks, Tanga). Right now i'm finding that she's a bit too rocky in the collected canter and a bit too flat in the lengthened canter. So we'll continue to work on transitions within the gait to build strength. We also played with going from shoulder in to straight to shoulder in at the trot and aiming to get the upwwward surge feeling when I straightened (thanks, Exvet). I think next time I do that I will do HP or HI instead of SI because sometimes I lose the outside hind a bit in the SI.

With RP, i'ven been working on poles poles poles--walking poles and trotting. I'd lvoe to get him walking smoothly over a raised walk pole--lifting the back rather than dropping. But right now he still has some anxiety around a raised walk pole, so it is a WIP.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Fri May 14, 2021 11:29 pm

Wow, as usual, lots going on. Nice videos exvet, Junior is really coming along. You guys excelled in your 3-1 test, he really did seem to meet you halfway. Nice riding in both tests, he seems like a handful.

I love your video Aleuronx, reminds me of some other young warmblood I know... gah! Happy to see you riding!

Good to hear goals and lotsa stories.

We are working on our confidence off-property and adjustability of stride and keeping his rib-cage and my hands and elbows and what else? Oh, it seems like everything. I am working on not reacting to his spring fever and fitness and just riding as if nothing happened and keeping my position stable. It is coming along, but some days it is frustrating. And other days it's really good. Now to sign up for a real show.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat May 15, 2021 2:29 am

Thank you Chantal. Junior is a power house; so, in that sense he's a handful. Frankly he's not that much trouble because I am his person. Thankfully he really loves his person...........so for that I'm grateful. Brandon is actually a bit more of a mischievous handful; but, he too is far from the most challenging that I've had. Keep up the good work. I too have to focus on maintaining my position on not let the power house unsettle me ;)

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat May 15, 2021 2:01 pm

So I decided to put this in our goals training thread as opposed to Brandon's thread or the bit/spurs discussion because I think the issue or topic is multifaceted. I did buy and am using the Bombers Bit Happy Tongue D ring on Brandon. It wasn't an immediate/overnight success; but, I do find a couple of things to be happening. While he's still hitting me in the hands and shoulders pretty hard every 7 or 8 strides, he's no longer sticking his tongue out the sides of his mouth. His head carriage is also higher; but, it's more up and open with less use of underneck and less overflexion. He's never been one to shrink behind any of the bits I've tried and though disconcerted has always met the contact (sometimes very rudely). He is still very green, unbalanced and built like a bean pole. I think he likes this bit the best, if he must have anything in his mouth. I guess my surprise is the difference in his preference of head carriage at all three gaits, including canter. His go to resistance is to rear; but this feels less like a resistance and more him coming into proper balance though not quite there yet.............if that makes any sense. His bending and turning is actually starting to happen as oppose to me being able to out muscle him. Though we are still very course/rough in our way of go (tempo is unsteady, loss of balance here and there especially on shallow corners, hit or miss resistance/acceptance of bit in the upward transitions, etc) I get the feeling that this is all having to do much more with strength and the growing skeletal structure because his stamina has improved immensely and he's not really fighting me. Of the two, Brandon has more fight in him than Junior does. He's going to be 4 next month so I've been trying to not over ride or expect too much from him; but, at the same time I'm not sure that 'taking it easy' is giving him the type of exercise he needs to become stronger and better balanced. I'm trying so hard not to push him too fast but he's also a bit of a pill when he gets bored which is often. I started to work him over ground poles and you know we trail ride all over.........I'm going to go to in hand work again once it gets too hot to ride; but, any other suggestions on making things not seem so drilled?

khall

Postby khall » Sun May 16, 2021 12:00 pm

Exvet what about incorporating WE obstacles in your dressage training? The poles and barrels are good

https://www.facebook.com/1524233224/pos ... 55238/?d=n

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun May 16, 2021 1:41 pm

khall wrote:Exvet what about incorporating WE obstacles in your dressage training? The poles and barrels are good

https://www.facebook.com/1524233224/pos ... 55238/?d=n

Thank you for the suggestion. I do think that this will be relatively easy to incorporate and certainly works on some of the issues I'm seeing without making things too boring for him.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun May 16, 2021 6:33 pm

Aleuronx wrote:Tanga- I got a chance to watch your freestyle video. I do like the music especially the piece at the end and the passage was certainly a highlight of the test. I would say for higher scores I'd work on melding the transitions between music, there was at least one hard cut that was fairly jarring sounding and I know judges prefer music that sounds more like a cohesive piece.

Thank you! Good to know. I know there are some hard cuts, but I didn't want to go through all of the time to fix all of that if the music wasn't working. I am so in love with that end piece I am not seeing it anymore. Glad to know you like that p/p at the end. I think I am changing the beginning and not doing halt, canter, pirouette, 9 ones, pirouette as it's getting her too wired. I'll do the pirouettes and maybe two little half passes and then pirouette and keep the ones in my joker line.

blob

Postby blob » Mon May 17, 2021 1:23 pm

I wanted to share that trailer work with MM has also been going well. After lots of progress last year, we had a major set back earlier this year and I've decided I need to go back to more baby steps rather than as soon as we have some progress, quickly getting her and going somewhere. So, I've been working on her spending time in the trailer every time I'm out at the barn (thanks to a friend who has generously left her trailer hooked up for me). I went from just me leading her and us having a snack in there. To me having her self load, waiting up until i came around and then having a snack in there. To then her self loading and having a snack with other people around. To the other people moving/walking behind her. To me staying longer behind her and moving the butt bar around. To other people touching her butt while she's in there. I've done each step super slowly and only progressed to the next once she's genuinely comfortable and not 'on edge'. Next step will be closing the butt bar (this was the trigger for her set back) and then just hanging out and having a snack with the butt bar closed, but not going anywhere. And then once that is very comfortable, then we can go for a short field trip somewhere she likes (the place we trail ride a few miles away). It feels a bit maddeningly slow at times. But I think it's the right way forward to get somethign more long term than what I was getting before. Or at least I hope. I have occasionally also used Confidence EQ in our sessions when upping the situation. It's something I've never used before, but someone had recommended. I don't know if it's making any REAL difference or if we would be making the same progress either way. But it seems harmless/non-invasive and if it does provide anything to help create calm and new associations in a space that has become stressful, it's worth it.

khall

Postby khall » Mon May 17, 2021 1:35 pm

Blob just one caution about putting up butt bar and not closing the back up. MM is short from what I know of her those butt bars tend to be for the taller horse if she panics she could scoot out underneath the bar. A trainer I know had a horse get half way under the bar and stand up fracturing it’s spine. I had never heard of that before but it stuck with me. Just wanted to share PSA.

Glad she is doing well

blob

Postby blob » Mon May 17, 2021 2:39 pm

khall wrote:Blob just one caution about putting up butt bar and not closing the back up. MM is short from what I know of her those butt bars tend to be for the taller horse if she panics she could scoot out underneath the bar. A trainer I know had a horse get half way under the bar and stand up fracturing it’s spine. I had never heard of that before but it stuck with me. Just wanted to share PSA.

The trailer has an adjustable butt bar that can be positioned at 3 different heights! So it's positioned just right for her, thankfully. But a good PSA reminder to make sure it's positioned right for her! And what a tragic story for that horse/trainer

khall

Postby khall » Wed May 19, 2021 1:19 am

Ah Geeze it’s supposed to be 100 next week. We’ve had such a beautiful long spring I was hoping to continue with it for a few more weeks instead of leaping straight into summer.

I am hosting two clinics end of this month and mid June. A WE clinic for fun and Cedar next month. Sigh 100 is HOT here in Georgia with our humidity:(

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Wed May 19, 2021 5:50 am

I had such a good play-around ride yesterday. I tacked up in the jumping saddle, and warmed up in a trucking-along canter in light seat. And then I just kept riding a figure of eight in light seat, asking for a change across the diagonal each time. So many nice changes, with one small kick only. Had a walk break, then started t/c/t/c on a big circle, asking for the downward transition every quarter circle, and then up into canter after only 2-3 trot steps. Once he was skipping forward into canter easily, I asked for the FC across the diagonal a few times, and got clean changes *happy dance*, going right back to c/t/c after each change.

So now I'm REALLY hoping I can replicate it in my dressage lesson tomorrow...
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed May 19, 2021 8:07 pm

Mari, that's a great update! I hope your lesson shows off your finding. I do think some horses need the lighter seat for the FC....

I am just happy to be doing the simplest of things, like 15-20 minutes of large figure trotting + transitions. Emi is looking more like a 1st level horse these days (ability to carry a little bit) which is encouraging too. We are continuing to take our time. I'm going to freak out when we eventually get to canter work (there will be more ultrasounds before then)....as I really don't want to break her!! She will be 19 next week.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu May 20, 2021 7:31 am

piedmontfields wrote:I hope your lesson shows off your finding.

Narrator: It didn't

:lol: Today was a bit of a battle, he was just not with me mentally or physically, and I really had to knuckle down and work hard and sharp for about 15 minutes before he was on board. But it ended really well, with some great changes out of HP.

khall

Postby khall » Thu May 20, 2021 12:06 pm

Well Juliet has shown me she is not safe to ride period not just for her frail owner. I’ve been riding her a couple of times a week in the double some days were good some not so fun. Her go to is spook and leave. So I went to work her the other day had her on the lunge line to see how she looked before I got on. She had a beautiful right lead canter and the owner’s dog barked. A dog she’s seen and heard for years and she spooked so hard she fell over with my new saddle on. I was lucky my saddle was not hurt just dirty and that I was not on her when she fell. It would have broken my leg. It’s just not worth it. Then Juliet just could not turn it loose. Was tense and distracted.

So I will ride my fun mares who are progressing well and challenging me to step up my own riding.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu May 20, 2021 4:26 pm

I've been trying to pick apart segments of all the 2nd and 3rd tests- where it makes sense. Dude, that SI to 10m 1/2 circle in 2:2 was much harder than I first assumed,but getting it worked out.
Half pass is fine, working on the setup more than the actual HP at this point.
TOH is finally getting to be show ready, doesn't feel very "convincing" but likely always going to feel tricky. Because it is. Anyways, the secret for me tends to lie in the balance of how much inside vs outside aids I use and really really watching the outside hind. Shorten the base.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu May 20, 2021 10:31 pm

Ryeissa wrote:I've been trying to pick apart segments of all the 2nd and 3rd tests- where it makes sense. Dude, that SI to 10m 1/2 circle in 2:2 was much harder than I first assumed,but getting it worked out.
TOH is finally getting to be show ready, doesn't feel very "convincing" but likely always going to feel tricky. Because it is. Anyways, the secret for me tends to lie in the balance of how much inside vs outside aids I use and really really watching the outside hind. Shorten the base.

Yes it is. Focus on making sure to take a couple of clear straight strides on the CL and then the new bend. You don't often see that ridden well.

Something to help TOH might be to warm up/practice doing one, trot off, doing another, trot off, etc. This can help get the energy and connection you really want to see.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu May 20, 2021 10:59 pm

Ugh, Khall. You don't need to risk your neck on someone else's horse.

I'm having an "I am not worthy" moment, having just sat and watched my trainer ride Mr P. He was fabulous today, and she's having a ball with him. I hope I can live up to it when I am back in the saddle. Waah.

khall

Postby khall » Fri May 21, 2021 1:11 am

Mountaineer videos? So we can drool? Oh yes those highly trained horses can be humbling. You’ve still got to be stoked he’s yours though!!

Thanks for the affirmation re Juliet. I just cannot get hurt and I want this to be fun and I’m having a blast with my two mares. I know you and Potters will get it together

blob

Postby blob » Fri May 21, 2021 1:20 am

Ryeissa wrote:TOH is finally getting to be show ready, doesn't feel very "convincing" but likely always going to feel tricky. Because it is. Anyways, the secret for me tends to lie in the balance of how much inside vs outside aids I use and really really watching the outside hind. Shorten the base.

A couple years ago a trainer convinced me I was over-thinking and over-riding my TOH. He told me to use inside rein and outside leg only and to stop trying to balance out all the aids and ride each step. The riding each stride was maybe the right way to teach the movement, but I will say that his approach has REALLY made this movement a lot easier for me. I have found, however, that I do need to give a quick squeeze with my inside leg towards the end of mine with MM or she will get lazy and pivot that inside hind instead of stepping it at the very end.

ugh, Khall I am sorry to hear that about Juliet, but I am glad you were not on her and that horse and saddle are ok. It is very hard to deal with the ones that are so unpredictable and reactive.

khall

Postby khall » Fri May 21, 2021 2:09 am

Thanks blob. It was my new Dynamic saddle. I was horrified watching and completely helpless. Yes thankfully saddle and Juliet were fine. But dang I’ve had my horses do all sorts of shenanigans on line yet always keep their feet in the arena. When she spooked she over balanced and just rolled. Who wants to ride 1400 lbs that has no sense of self preservation. Not me.

Blob that is interesting how you ride toh. I’ve always put my weight into my inside knee and then used my outside turning aids to being the shoulders around with the outside aids. Keeping the hind legs stepping with the calves. So kneel inside knee rotate to bring outside shoulder around and calves to keep marching.

Stay cool blob! Gosh I’m not ready for upper 90’s to triple digits.

I’m contemplating taking Gaila to a schooling show next month. I don’t do recognized shows. Too expensive and too much trouble

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri May 21, 2021 4:35 am

khall wrote:Thanks blob. It was my new Dynamic saddle. I was horrified watching and completely helpless. Yes thankfully saddle and Juliet were fine. But dang I’ve had my horses do all sorts of shenanigans on line yet always keep their feet in the arena. When she spooked she over balanced and just rolled. Who wants to ride 1400 lbs that has no sense of self preservation. Not me.

I think you're wise khall. I have had two horses flip over on top of me. The first, I suffered a concussion and this was a horse with no self-preservation but tons of fight. The second simply had her stifles lock on her and was not the type to resist in any way; but I ended up with a fractured pelvis. I then encountered two more who made me realize my mortality. I quickly moved them on to situations that did not involve me taking any risks with riding them and can now tell the tale.I no longer will throw my leg over just anything and especially reserve the right to say, no thank you. Life is too short.

blob

Postby blob » Fri May 21, 2021 1:20 pm

khall wrote:
Stay cool blob! Gosh I’m not ready for upper 90’s to triple digits.

I’m contemplating taking Gaila to a schooling show next month. I don’t do recognized shows. Too expensive and too much trouble

I know by July every day will be triple digit heat index. But the first few weeks of it is is so hard. I am not ready for that heat and i don't think MM is either!

What schooling show are you thinking about doing?

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri May 21, 2021 3:53 pm

Tanga wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:I've been trying to pick apart segments of all the 2nd and 3rd tests- where it makes sense. Dude, that SI to 10m 1/2 circle in 2:2 was much harder than I first assumed,but getting it worked out.

Yes it is. Focus on making sure to take a couple of clear straight strides on the CL and then the new bend. You don't often see that ridden well.

Something to help TOH might be to warm up/practice doing one, trot off, doing another, trot off, etc. This can help get the energy and connection you really want to see.

yes, that is exactly what I have been doing. One clinician I rode with (GP level) had me CANTER between. it really helped. my horse was tooooo relaxxxxxxed.....never thought i'd hear that! :)

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri May 21, 2021 3:56 pm

blob wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:TOH is finally getting to be show ready, doesn't feel very "convincing" but likely always going to feel tricky. Because it is. Anyways, the secret for me tends to lie in the balance of how much inside vs outside aids I use and really really watching the outside hind. Shorten the base.

A couple years ago a trainer convinced me I was over-thinking and over-riding my TOH. He told me to use inside rein and outside leg only and to stop trying to balance out all the aids and ride each step. The riding each stride was maybe the right way to teach the movement, but I will say that his approach has REALLY made this movement a lot easier for me. I have found, however, that I do need to give a quick squeeze with my inside leg towards the end of mine with MM or she will get lazy and pivot that inside hind instead of stepping it at the very end.

ugh, Khall I am sorry to hear that about Juliet, but I am glad you were not on her and that horse and saddle are ok. It is very hard to deal with the ones that are so unpredictable and reactive.

yeah, this is basically what I do, but my horse is uber wiggly and I loose the shoulder/hips more than the average horse. I think I'm finally at the point where i can just ride the damn turn :) Keeping the energy by trotting and cantering between has been also helpful.

Also, don't make the walk too big. COLLECT

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri May 21, 2021 8:53 pm

I had a lesson today with the clinician I've come back to time and time again for help with my training/riding. She is a USEF S judge for classical dressage and has also been bitten by the western dressage bug (judge and competitor). She's trained unlikely sorts to grand prix (human and beast). I will say for years, we were at opposite ends because she wasn't that enthused with welsh cobs and I wasn't that thrilled with what I felt was rather stingy dressage scores. Over the years though, I knew if I was going to get better (and at the time Monty too) I needed to throw in with 'the other side' and decided to let them show me how. Well today I received the nicest and greatest compliment I've ever received from her. She watched me warm up for our lesson and she stopped me and exclaimed how she couldn't believe how much Junior and I have transformed since she coached me in January (she coached me in March too). She said today Junior was carrying himself much higher in front, engaging his hind end and staying straight and balanced through his transitions. She stated that it was so clear by his muscling that we've been working all the right things and correctly too :) Of course none of it was perfect so she gave me a few pointers on taking certain movements up a 0.5 point. We ended with agreeing that his walk is just what it is but that we can make up the points in so many other areas. As I left the clinic I had one person offer to buy Junior and another ask if I was still breeding.........miss those days; but, I'm grateful to have Junior to remember them by.

khall

Postby khall » Fri May 21, 2021 9:13 pm

Ah what great compliments exvet!! That is awesome. I certainly know what it’s like to thoroughly enjoy the horses you’ve bred raised and trained. Just great fun and so rewarding

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat May 22, 2021 12:05 am

Awesome exvet! Often it's hard to appreciate how much progress is happening when we see them every day.

Mountaineer, hope you are back in the saddle soon. Great that your trainer is able to put ride on Potters while you heal.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat May 22, 2021 1:16 am

Thanks y'all. I told the individual who has now tried to offer to buy Junior a total of three times that this one is not for sale and likely (at least if I have any control over it) will not ever be no matter what our dressage future may be. I do have home work from my lesson which I will be focusing on for the next few weeks. I've also been told not to let him get any 'bigger' ie fatter. I did just recently start him on a metabolic supplement, cut back his food a wee bit and added 1-2 days a week of riding to his regimen. I had already begun that plan before the clinician made the comment ;)

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sat May 22, 2021 5:55 am

Well, the last week has been kind of weird. I didn't get any riding done but did get 3 lunge or long rein sessions done. Time limits due to elder care seem to creep up on me and then I don't have time to ride but at least she has had some meaningful exercise. I think I need to start riding first then doing chores post ride. If some poop gets left...it will be there next time ;) .

The first lunge session was mostly a get some exercise session. I did get her stretching over the top line and we worked on halt --> backup --> forward in trot or canter.
Other than an occasional spook when a noisy vehicle went by, she worked well and had plenty of energy.

Second lunge I set up 5 poles. The wind was horrid this day and I feel sorry for her having to carry my chubby butt and me acting like a sail in the 20-30mph wind. Not fair. So we worked in the indoor which was better than usual as it was freshly groomed. First, I set them at walk distance. Once she has gone through them a couple times and I can tell the distance is right, I start adding transitions to trot or canter after the poles then back to walk for over the poles. You can cram in a lot of transitions that way and not wait all day for them to walk a circle :lol: . After a break, I set up normal trot distance. I am starting to be much more particular than I used to be...that she is going over the center of the poles and not speeding up through the poles as was her M.O. when she was younger. Then, opposite of blob stretching her poles out to work on lengthening, I moved mine about 6 inches closer together. Trying to get her thinking and again, center of poles and a foot between each pole so closing her stride and springing off the ground a bit more. She had a few passes that were pretty nice...she never just blew me off or took 2 poles in a stride so I think we are making some progress.

Today, I was going to ride but ran out of time to saddle, boot her up, and me to put on all my stuff (helmet, half chaps, etc) then reverse on the other end. So, no one had been in the indoor since I was on Wednesday, I threw on the surcingle and long reined her. I don't need to boot her to work in the indoor, especially with ground work. We had a really nice session. I was able to get her nicely into connection and for the most part, she held it well through all 3 gaits. I often have trouble getting her soft in the walk and if she does 'give', she tends to have that nasty under neck sticking out. Almost none of that today save when the evening feeder startled her popping in the arena door. Her halts were solid and 4 square. I even got some half-pass at walk and was able to change the direction without stopping and letting her settle before the change which I think is a first in long reins. That she actually listened to me was sweet.
Just for kicks and giggles, I asked for some half steps and I think those were the best she has ever done. Nice diagonalizing (new word :D ) and some suspension. She didn't get anxious, stayed relaxed and had some pretty sweet lowering of her haunches :mrgreen: . She just looked lovely, happy and loose today and that makes me happy.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Return to “Dressage Training”