May-June: Don't be afraid to set some goals and make it better

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: May-June: Don't be afraid to set some goals and make it better

Postby blob » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:38 pm

Great news, Heddy!

I did some jumping today with MM and got a bit of a scare. A few strides after doing a line of slightly more substantial fences, MM stumbled/tripped badly and almost fell. She managed to recover and keep me aboard, but it rattled us both. She's such a sure footed horse that it's rare that she stumbles or trips. I'm not sure if it was jumping related or footing related or just simply bad luck. I do feel like I didn't get the sit behind that I wanted as she powered up for the bigger fences and maybe she just got too strung out/on the forehand. I do think cantering the bigger fences will ultimately make a big difference for us, but we might need to spend some time doing bounces/other gymnastics to get her more on her booty.

Show this weekend with RP, we're doing 1-2 and t-3. I'm not feeling super confident about the first level work, but let's see how it goes. I'm not sure he quite has the sit and carry judges are looking for at first level and I think this is noticeable in the trot lengthenings where he definitely increases his stride, but doesn't really sit down behind and lift off. He's also taken to swapping leads when I try to come back from a left lead canter lengthening, so I might have to be a bit conservative there. But maybe I can make up for it some with the right lead.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:02 am

Good luck at the show, Blob.

Norsey looking good, Flight. Definitely some sitting going on there. Lovely changes, too. I always found the pirouette exercises were really valuable for getting Laddie's hind end underneath him and getting him to straighten and connect into both reins.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:37 am

demi wrote:SF, feel free to criticize Rocky’s topline. It might make for interesting discussion. At this point in my life I probably won’t be able to make a lot of change in my riding, but others may benefit from a discussion.

I think it looks correct for the level and her build. The horses I'm thinking of - well, one I met recently when he was bumming around the dry lot where my gelding lives, and then a few weeks later I discovered he was the personal horse of someone who has recently hung out a shingle as a lower level dressage trainer. From meeting him with no context, I never would have guessed that he was an in-work dressage pro's horse, though I don't know what level he is working at. The other one that comes to mind, I watched doing a lot of flying change and piaffe work in a clinic to many ooh's and aahs, but then they pulled the tack to let the horse roll and well, I was underwhelmed with what I saw from a pro's personal upper level horse's muscle development. If these were client horses that they maybe didn't have control of the feeding, saddle fit, all training, etc. I can understand maybe missing a puzzle piece. I realize all horses are starting with different raw material, but if the work isn't improving the posture and muscling, something is amiss.

In other news, Annabelle and I managed to canter a crossrail course. We are starting to work out that it's my job to maintain the cadence and keep her round, and it's her job to find a spot and not land in a puddle on the other side of the fence. Look for us at the next Olympics! :lol:
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:15 am

Loving all the videos and photos! Good luck getting back on Heddylamar. And Blob, good luck at the show with RP.

I did end up euthanizing our older dog. It was a little traumatic. I had made an appointment to euthanize her today. But we ended up doing it last Thursday as it was clearly time. :(

The vet came to see Lynx today. He is lame and will be under a rehab protocol. She thinks it's an injury to his SI. Although he has a but of swelling by his stifle, I think she said the patella? Based on how he looked on the lunge line, she thinks the SI is the real culprit. He also wants to flare on that right hind...
So what she wants me to do is rehab him, get him moving but gently. Lots and lots of walk and straight lines. A little bit of pole work and even small cavaletti at the walk if we can. We are also putting him on some equiqox to help with the inflammation. She said we could inject the SI but she prefers not to just given his young age. She said her next step would be to shockwave it.

She told me to see how the next 20 days go and if things are improved we should try the shockwave. In the meantime I might see about having someone come do some PEMF.

Sigh, oh animals.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:24 am

Sorry about your dog Lipsmackerpony88, always a hard thing to do.

I jumped today! A line of 5 bounces, one stride to an oxer, three strides to an upright. My ankle held up okay. It's a bit sore now that I'm in stirrups again, but I'm trying to get it used to normal life again. I've also gone back to plain stirrups, with the angled rubber, to provide a bit more outside support.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:23 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog Lipsmackerpony88 and about Lynx. Sending well wishes and healing vibes.

Blob, good luck at your show. I'm sure you'll do fine and as for sit and carry, LOL.......I have a feeling if you just prevent the hind legs from trailing.....well....he's meeting the requirements of first level ;) but I know what you mean.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:15 pm

I agree with Exvet. no requirement for collection, aka sit and carry at first level.

one last comment about topline. I have 3 horses. they couldn't have more different topline muscling. unless you saw how they started and how they progressed, forming a snap .judgrment on my professional ability after glancing at my horses topline would say a hell of a lot about the judgement and nothing at all about my training. so if I wouldn't think it's fair to me, then I wouldn't think it's fair for me to do to others.

Moutaineer I agree that suppleness and circles are important , good basic building blocks. :) remember to school for your 3rd and 4th level too.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:45 pm

Blob- no worries- trot lenthenings are not collected in the least. Just don't go Mach 20 and you will be ok :) you are a very nice rider and very capable of this work.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:37 am

Chisamba, that's what ive been thinking too.. However, Mr P was a complete idiot on the line today...

We have a protocol. Handwalk three times in each direction around the arena to peek in all the corners, stare out the door at the mountains, check no loose lions in the attached aisleway and check the mounting block for teeth (and let mom walk her desk job back kinks out.) Then we lunge for 5 minutes or so in each direction, all gaits, then I get on and we go to work.

Today, he went bananas on the lunge line. Fine to start out to the right, changed direction and blammo... what a performance. Calmed down from that, and it was a case of "sorry buddy, but after that you get to go back in the other direction." Repeat performance, with somewhat more emphasis, than the left. He ran and bucked and leaped it out of himself, eventually, and we did some calm walk trot and canter transitions, but, eek!

By this point, I'm feeling both somewhat dizzy and somewhat sick at the prospect that, like it or not, for both our sakes, I'm going to have to get on and ride this puppy after all this. And I did, and we walked a bunch of circles in each direction, and he spooked at the mounting block, and we carried on until he didn't, And then I got off.

In his defense, he finished 10 days of high dose hydroxizine for the hives yesterday, so he's been feeling fairly quiet and demotivated because of that, (and I think a hard stop to that was probably tough on him,) and it was a lot cooler with a stiff breeze blowing and all sorts of bizarre noises going on outside the indoor, and the smell of smoke from our first wildfire of the season. And he had the day off yesterday, and we've been upping his feed a little to get a bit more weight and muscle on him.

It'll be "interesting" to see what horse I have tomorrow. A tired and somewhat chastened one, I hope.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:05 am

Mountaineer--there are some horses that have a tendency to be naughty on the lunge in a way they never really are under saddle. There are some people that treat lunging as a time for horses to just do whatever they want and get their willies out and tolerate things on the line they would never tolerate under saddle. So, I know so many horses who get on the line and think they can just buck and fart around like they're in pasture. I hate this because I don't see lunging as 'free time' it's work time just in a different way. But because so many horses are taught this way, I would keep in mind that Potters lunging antics might have to do with how/why he was lunged in the past.

Not too long ago i watched a trainer lunging her horse at a show, the horse kept bucking and she kept saying 'good boy, get it all out'. And I was honestly appalled. I teach my horses that bucking, bolting, rearing, etc are not ok any time i am handling them whether it's in in hand or under saddle. Yes, I'd rather a horse buck on the lunge than under saddle. But I don't see why we should encourage that behavior in any circumstances. Horses don't NEED to buck.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:12 pm

Lipsmacker I’m so sorry about your dog. It’s always such a difficult decision to have to make. Jingles for Lynx that he comes right soon.

Otherwise Some awesome updates!

Well done chisamba! Saif is just lovely and you’ve done such a good job with her!
Blob good luck at the show!
Mountaineer I’m sure this is just a hiccup in your journey with Potters. Sounds like he had a reason for his shenanigans with everything that was going on.
Aleuronx glad Kora is doing so well and you are getting her out regularly. The trials of a young horse growth stages!
Exvet have a safe trip!
Kyra’s mom glad you are getting some riding time. Yes I like the term diagnolizing:)
Piedmont so happy the rehab is going smoothly !!

If I’ve missed anyone I’m sorry! Lots going on around here with all the updates

I’m prepping for clinic this weekend and we finally got some much needed rain and now it needs to stop so we can cut hay!

I’ll excited for Cedar to come so we can move on to the next level with my two mares. Both are doing so well. Rip is happily enjoying retirement. I pulled his shoes last farrier visit and he’s doing fine transitioning to barefoot

Blob I do have to disagree about horses not needing buck though Rip was never really a buck more leaping straight into the air. No way when he was that het up could I have done anything to stop it. We tried. Maybe if I could have sent him on galloping but shoot not sure I could have held him. Loose he probably would have jumped the fence.
I had Jillian be concerned about him hurting himself with his antics wanted me to work him in hand. Yeah not happening. He needed to get that woo wee out before he could listen. Gaila can be this way some but to a much less degree and regular work keeps her in a much better working frame of mind

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:44 pm

Hey Mountaineer, you rode and that's a big win! I understand the nerves when seeing that. But like Bob said, some horses just act insane in the lunge and then never do anything under saddle like that. I had an OTTB like that. Like blob I would try and discourage it but it was kind of his go-to behavior. He was always a forward horse under saddle but he was absolutely never naughty and was a complete saint. Even to this day at 21 years old he still can get a little wild on the lunge line!

Khall, enjoy the clinic! I'm looking forward to hearing how it went!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:59 pm

No, I really don't think he's do that under saddle, tbh. Doesn't seem in his nature. I'm prepared to give him some benefit of the doubt with the drug issue and all, too. Let's see what this afternoon brings! I just hope he didn't pull something.

LSP, how is Lynx doing? Very frustrating! I guess we should know better than to expect it to be plain sailing with a new horse, but still... And I was sorry to read about your dog, who I am sure had an excellent and pampered life with you.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:49 am

Good as gold this afternoon, rather lazy if anything. Still doesn't bend to the right :)

Go figure... horses!

demi

Postby demi » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:27 am

LSP, sorry about your dog. I know how sad that is. Keep us posted on Lynx.

Good luck this weekend, Blob!

I finally got my Pivo up and running today. Its been at least a month since my soloshot3 died and I really missed that feedback. I was happy with some of the vid today, but also saw some things in my riding (posture!) that I had let slip. Here’s a couple screenshots from today:
9941806F-486B-473F-92DD-DCACECC402BD.jpeg
9941806F-486B-473F-92DD-DCACECC402BD.jpeg (180.65 KiB) Viewed 7162 times

FEB87AC7-E619-4030-B4E4-78C346E6671D.jpeg
FEB87AC7-E619-4030-B4E4-78C346E6671D.jpeg (101.4 KiB) Viewed 7162 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:46 am

I had a horse in training that would buck about 50 times before he settled into work. I cannot recall when I started counting, but he would pretty much have his 50 bucks. at shows people would see me coming and crowd the warm up to watch. Many shows don't really have a lunging area so I would have to ride them. at one particular venue he decided that going around the dressage arena before going in was the appropriate time to get the last buck out. We approached A still bucking but as soon as he hit the in gate , smooth collected trot to halt salute. He did a great test and won the championship that show. After it all the judge approached me and said she had never seen anything like it.

He was undefeated for 2 years or intensive showing. I showed him 3rd and 4th and even the warmbloods didn't beat him. He was an Arabian stallion. anyway, I probably spent five years trying to persuade him that bucking was counter productive. we examine saddle fit, we had body work, he went to Auburn for extensive x rays and work up. the only thing we found was scar tissue on his back, assumed to be from previous poor fitting saddle.

Whatever the cause, he thought he needed to get the buck out. but...I did not praise or approve, I would find that disconcerting too. He was sold for a pretty decent price,, and inexplicable stolen,, apparently escaped whatever trailer he was being shipped in and was hit by a truck on the highway trying to get home. I cried.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:59 am

What a nice active stretch Demi.

It sounds like those that can are making good progress. Jingles for everyone else that needs it for horse and or person.

Kyra has been an absolute delight. So much fun to ride. We aren't doing much fancy but her responsiveness is as good as it has every been. She has been energetic and eager to work. Yesterday, she about left me behind more than once. I did not expect that much effort.

What I did this week was take her to the trotting track for 15-20 minutes working in walk and adding lateral work as she warmed up. They were bringing hay in and they have to drive on the track hence the short intervals to keep out of the stack wagon's way. Then we returned to the outdoor arena and did a few minutes of trot and yesterday, I added canter.

Going to the track has been an adventure since last fall. We have to cross a bridge. A simple wooden bridge but no guardrails. Well, last fall they oiled it to preserve it. Kyra, who in the 17 years she has lived at this farm and never refused crossing this bridge all of a sudden said NO. I didn't argue with her. It was slick and smelly and I just kind of put it away knowing we wouldn't get over there during the winter and figuring by spring, it would no longer be slick. Fast forward to this spring and she was still saying NO. Now, I have nothing to prove that I can MAKE her cross. She would lead over it but she wouldn't set foot on it with me mounted. I still have vivid recollection of my first horse when I was in 8th grade that crossed a similar but smaller bridge that decided to throw it in reverse and back off the side of the bridge :shock: . But for the grace of God, she hung up a foot that kept me from being under her in a 3 foot deep canal. I was able to step off and my neighbor helped me get her out of her predicament but the thought of what might have been was rather scary and I am sure she picks up on that memory.
So I decided to break things down in chunks to try and get her confidence back over the bridge. As I said, she would lead over it albeit hesitatingly. So, the next time I went over, I dismounted and "drove" her over by being back by the saddle. OK, that worked. The next time I went over there, I ground drove her in long reins. The first pass, she stopped and sashayed around a bit but then went over and we repeated about 6 times. The next time I rode her over she still wanted to say no but I was able to convince her that she could do it and she did. I don't know if it still smells to her but she sure snorts at it a lot. I just put my focus on the other side, put my legs on and say go. So a bit of our time has been in remedial bridge work.

As I said, I have been quite surprised with her energy and verve. She has been fairly soft in the bridle and very prompt in her transitions. I am trying to introduce a bit of aerobic work back in. So far, my back is holding. By the dirt patterns on her pad, I am still sitting to the left though :P . I am not in love with this saddle but right now, but I just have to keep working at it and lose at least 10 pounds. Until I fit into it better and get more fit, I think I will be all over it. I did get some nice canter->walk transitions yesterday where I was able to stay connected and balanced and out of her way which is a first. I still have my treeless saddle but the horse works with better balance and more evenly into both reins in the treed saddle so I will keep working at it.

So, one of my goals that at the time, I didn't know I needed to work on which is crossing the bridge is accomplished :mrgreen: . Maybe not in the context of dressage but I, as a decrepit old lady, was getting tired of dismounting, leading her over the bridge and finding an hay bale to remount on the other side then rinse and repeat to go back to the tacking area or hand walk her back to the tacking area (about 1/4 of a mile).

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:39 pm

In my case my horse would buck into the canter before I changed saddles. It hasn't been a problem since I got a new one (knock on wood). It got worse at shows as the footing was different and he was more hyper.
My mare bucked into the canter due to sore hocks. Wish I knew then what I know now.....

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:17 pm

In normal times (when I can lunge), my mare will have occasional bucking fits on the lunge line. It's usually when I am lungeing for quick exercise, not to "get the bucks out." Usually, these are occasions where it has been damp, cool and she had less exercise than normal due to weather or my schedule. I think her need to due this is an expression of mild PSSSM/tying up symptoms. It's always shocking when other people see it, as they can't believe Emi has that in her.

Now under saddle, Emi is a very polite bucker and reserves that for things like me putting on a saddle she doesn't like (makes it very easy to tell what works!) or over-aiding. She bucks once and seems to look at me and say "you understand that was not good, right?"

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:58 pm

Wow Demi, great pics!

None of my horses buck on the lunge line whether they have tack on or not. Under saddle, Junior only ever bucks if I give him a sharp whack with the dressage whip and that only happens after one repeat request with the leg (that he's blowing off). Brandon (knock on wood) has not bucked with me under saddle yet. Ace rarely has bucked and if so it was due to being threatened by another horse (usually Junior). Brandon and Junior are far more prone to rearing (not scary high) if they decide that resistance is really what they want to display. These episodes for Junior I can count on one hand during his 7 years of life. The same goes for Brandon (haven't owned him for a full year yet) but I believe he's more likely to give me the middle hoof..........Junior is so bonded to me that he really doesn't think much other than 'yes Mom'.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:53 pm

Ahh. A little nervous as always before a show tomorrow. I'm going to Sue Curry's place (RIP) to show under Rodriguez, who is a regular Wellington judge, so it will be nice to get some feedback from a judge I haven't ridden under who sees all of the big wigs all of the time. I think Quinn will be OK and I just need to focus on being steady and quiet. Quilla I never know. She can be fine, or turn into a ball of tempermental. I think I've made good progress on getting clean ones and really getting her hind legs under and quicker in the passage instead of taking big steps. I changed the freestyle a bit because at the beginning doing the pirouette, ones, pirouette could be OK or very bad, so I moved the ones. I left the music until I can get more feedback.
Last edited by Tanga on Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:37 pm

Good luck Tanga. Hoping you accomplish all you set to do :)

blob

Postby blob » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:43 am

Good luck, Tanga. DR judges for us a lot over here. She is not GENEROUS. But she is fair and insightful. I'm always glad to see her on a show program.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:25 pm

Yes, ive ridden in front of DR several times. Not generous, but fair and helpful. (I'm immensely grateful to these top end judges who are also prepared to come honestly judge us smurfs out in the dirt in Utah!)

So, Tuesday was apparently an aberration, and Potters is back to his normal self. Saddle fitting session on Sunday as I suspect thats where the lack of right bend may be stemming from. I rode him with a half pad with front shims yesterday and there was a distinct improvement. Hes changed shape quite a bit in the last 3 months, which is interesting considering how little work he has been getting (correct work, though, and comfy feet...)

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:10 pm

Good news from Potters!

Re: DR-- I've really liked riding for her. As above-- not generous, but she's consistent and rewards good work when it's shown. Good luck at the show, Tanga!

Queso also had a saddle fitting in the last week or so (where does the time go?!) and between that and a slightly different warmup strategy he's dramatically changed his way of going.

I had a clinic in April with an old trainer I used to ride with before he left the area, and the most helpful thing he unearthed in my toolbox was a much more purposeful breakdown of the aids. Standing flexion to emphasize the rein aids. Walk/halt/walk to reinforce the half-halt. Controlled bursts of lateral work to enforce bend and sideways aids. Stir it all up and the end result is a softer, suppler, and more uphill-moving Queso. To the point where I asked for passage-ish trot the other day and immediately got it, and turned that upwards energy into a really pleasant medium.

Really happy (as always) with Queso. Summer is well and truly on us now so the next challenge is keeping the eye on improvements instead of melting away in a sweaty puddle.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:19 pm

I hate to use the cliche of 'all the pieces falling into place' but it's the best way to describe my feelings as of late. Did some bit roulette and I think we've dialed in to a better choice for Kora, including some latex wrapping for the time being so she trusts into the contact instead of bouncing around.

Today's field trip up to a farm where my friend was teaching a clinic at so let us do an early morning ride before they got started. We were being super serious dressage riders as you can tell from video. :lol: Still butt high but a little better managed.

https://youtu.be/SEioDRHXbLk

All these field trips are definitely doing their work to build confidence and honestly just going out and having fun with my horse after such a troubled winter.

Mountaineer - saddle fit such an important piece to pony happiness!

Good luck Tanga!! Can't wait to hear how the show goes.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:01 am

Thank you everyone. I am back and alive, which I am happy about. I think I have a little heat stroke because my heart has been beating too fast the whole 1 1/2 hour drive home and still back at home. And about 5 miles from home on the freeway my truck started making a lot of noise and scared the crap out of me. Got the horses home and the truck home and will get it fixed, so all is good.

I am very happy with the show. Yes, Rodriguez is not generous, but fair, which was what everyone saw. Both girls were quiet and relaxed. I think I was a bit too relaxed and didn't ride my best because I was so happy with quiet! Quinn got a 63% on the I-1 and 62% on the freestyle. Quilla got a 60% at GP and a 64.85 % on the freestyle (so I got a CDS qualifying score, but not the USDF.) I will take that! Coming off of judging the best in the world and me knowing my issues, I am super happy! And many prizes doesn't hurt. Stocked up on all of the super sheen stuff and got another matching folding chair for FEI freestyle.

Debbie was done soon after me so I asked her some feedback on the freestyles which was worth the whole trip. She said the music wasn't helping Quilla. She's not a musical person, so needs something to hit her over the head and say PIAFFE, PASSAGE! That's what I needed to hear. I was so stuck on loving the music, I couldn't see it. I will do whole new music for the next ride on July 4! And she gave some comments about Quinn's music I knew I needed to fix (make the walk clearer, fix the semi dead spot) so that was useful.

No videos of Quinn. Waiting on the videographer to send links for Quilla and then I will attach them.

Luckily I'm judging tomorrow in Half Moon Bay where it is nice and COOL!

demi

Postby demi » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:35 pm

Nice job, Tanga! Interesting what the judge said about the music and nice of her to give you that kind of feedback. People’s taste in music can be so varied. Some freestyles that other people really like, I personally don’t like, and others that I like, some people don’t like…I thought Shelly Francis’ FS on Danilo to the a capella music was absolutely wonderful! but a couple people I know didn’t care for it!

Looking forward to your vids, and the new FS you come up with.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:58 pm

Kyra has continued to be a eager beaver and a pleasure to work with. We had a monsoon on Thursday...well for us. We got 3/4 inch of rain overnight which turned our arena into a lake so I set up poles indoors and we had a long rein session over the poles. She worked well but looked a little bracey to me which was probably my fault but overall, she was obedient and did well. I did some canter away from the poles and worked on forward and back in the long reins.

Today, the outdoor arena was still wet and starting to set up (like concrete :P ) so we went to the track. It hasn't been worked in some time because they were bringing in hay (and drive on part of it) but at least it was dry. A walk day was good as I got her new hoof boots. She toes out some so the break over on the boots isn't quite where hers is so we need a couple sessions to work on that. She was fine in them. The last pair I got, she was kind of klutzy for a ride or two. Hopefully the arena will dry out enough to be worked in the next couple days.

I have boarded at this place for years (and years and years) but the footing is just crap and I am tired of trying to work around it. The owners (late 60's, early 70's) are retired from their day jobs and I don't know how much longer they are going to go with the boarding business and for sure, the arenas aren't going to get re-done. Just one of those hmmm...should I? No matter where I go, I am sure it will cost more (this place is partial care and dirt cheap as boarding goes).
I am hesitant as I don't want her to lose her 24/7 movement. She has weak stifles and standing in a stall all day (or night or both?) would be a killer for her. If I could ride 6 days a week but right now, with elder care, I can't. So, I will probably poop around and end up staying where I am until they close it.

Just for kicks and giggles, I am starting a new trend...the NOT match-matchy club. I ordered emerald green hoof boots for her fronts :o . Her back ones are a darker green not that you can tell from all the mileage they have, the trim on her brow band is purple crystals and her saddle pad is call autumn blaze.
It starts out red-->orange-->yellow. Add me and my purple t-shirt. Lordy we looked fine. I thought I ordered a different color pad but that is what came and I wasn't going to return it. We seldom leave the farm so autumn blaze it is. I have a pic but I have an iCloud error on my ancient (11 yo) computer that no longer will update and it won't load pictures anymore :P .

Good job Tanga. Isn't that crazy that we are ecstatic with mello? Such a treat.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

blob

Postby blob » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:27 pm

Great scores, Tanga! And sounds like a really valuable conversation with some great feedback.

I'm back from the show, which was a bit more interesting than last time. From the friday schooling it was clear that RP was feeling a bit tenser than normal and not quite like himself. He was leaning very hard on my left leg (not the usual) and kept swapping leads or scooting in the left lead canter. On Saturday my first test was my first level ride in the covered. Even though this is the same venue RP competed in the last show, suddenly the covered arena was terrifying to him. It was not a good test. I'm glad i got experience riding him through a test when he was feeling so spooky but he spooked at nearly every letter, every time we went around. I got a 59% and honestly, it could have been much lower consider how tense he was and how many times he scooted off the rail. Our second test was t-3 and we had a much better go (in an outdoor arena) and got a 70% despite swapping leads in the left lead.

The second day, I started with my t-3 for 68%, which honestly I thought was better than the test from the day before, but I think the judge was a bit more on the conservative side, so that's ok. Then we had to go back inside the covered for our first level test. I had a much less terrified pony and we had a better test. There were still some bobbles (swapping leads again!, breaking a bit in our first trot lengthening, a very wonky LY right), but despite that got a 66%. i was happy with that score, esp knowing how much we can improve. The judge gave some useful comments that although we have plenty of impulsion and there is clear forward and back, she'd love to see us get a bit more elasticity to our adjustability to bring out more suspension to really elevate the scores. So that felt like a test with a lot of learning for me. On the flipside, I also got this comment with my 68% test: "talented and willing horse, just needs an effective and accurate rider." :lol: :lol: which definitely goes down as the snarkiest comment I've received!

Now that we're home, RP will get a couple days off and then I'll get to work trying to figure out what was going on the left side and see if we can't figure that out.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:09 pm

blob wrote:On the flipside, I also got this comment with my 68% test: "talented and willing horse, just needs an effective and accurate rider." :lol: :lol: which definitely goes down as the snarkiest comment I've received!

Ouch, how rude! I mean, you're effective enough to have trained him this far. Congrats on the good scores with room to move up though!

Tanga, glad you got some good feedback and made it home without a breakdown!

Demi, nice pics with Rocky, she is really using herself.

It looks like Tesla is at the tail end of her ordeal, though I'm still a bit concerned that when the wound fully closes and isn't able to drain there might be more problems. We'll see. She also looks like she's come up another inch in her withers. :shock: Need to get a height stick on her, but it seems like her canter balance is improving as she changes. Hoping to get on her tomorrow for the first time in about 4 weeks.

Annabelle and I had great lessons yesterday and today. My instructor said A had changed so much just from last month that it was "mind blowing." I'll take that! Didn't get video today due to operator error, which was sad because we had some moments that I really wanted to go back and look at. We practiced lengthening over raised cavaletti today and riding SF more in the canter and got some really outstanding canter. Boy it is nice when she is round and I have somewhere to sit! Yesterday was the first time incorporating trot HP in a lesson, which felt kind of like getting a new Girl Scout's badge. :lol: Definitely a work in progress, but now that I have the seal of approval to play with HP, I'll be sure to incorporate it a little more frequently. My instructor is moving up to Sun Valley with her horses for the summer, so she will be in town more frequently. I'm super excited and will try to take as many lessons as I possibly can. Hot here today, so I'm trying to mentally prepare myself to start getting up at 5 to ride them both before work, but maybe not this week.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:22 am

Yeah, Blob, that really was rather rude! Does she assume that he just arrived out of the sky like that?

Good job, Tanga! Now that's a useful judge...

Expensive afternoon here. Was just going to get my saddle reflocked, but was talked (didn't take much) into trying a new one (Bliss Loxley WB monoflap) before we got started on it. Fitter reckoned mine is too long in the tree for Potters' more Araby back, and could well be the reason for his lack of desire to bend to the right.

Difference was night and day, both for him and for me--a much more balanced ride for me, and no resistance to the right from him. So I'm going to ride in the new one for a few days to see whether it sets my back off. It's got a much wider twist that I thought might give me trouble, but I found it quite comfortable at the time. I'll know for sure at about 3am...

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:47 am

The comment makes me laugh because there's such a nicer way to say it like "work on accuracy and effective use is aids" or whatever instead of the way it was phrased. Also, the test was 68! So it's not like we had a ride full of issues. And she gave me a 6.5 and a 7 on the rider scores so just an unnecessarily snarky comment, lol. Also of course also extra funny to me because RP is so complicated and absolutely not an easy ride. Clearly there was something that judge didn't love about me. While the other judge was very complementary. Can't please them all.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:19 am

Good job, Blob. You have the right attitude about the snarky comment. My first though was did comment that the horse was talented, so it seems like she should have noted that the talented ones are often the most challenging and you did a great job with him. You couldn’t have gotten those good scores without being an effective rider. Maybe she was just having a bad day.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:07 pm

Nice work Blob and Tanga. Congratulations on really bringing it to the table. Blob, I saved a test from 26 years ago with similar comments. I pull it out every once in a while to 'fuel my fire'.

Glad to hear that summer is bringing new energy to most everyone. I'm still in MN and feeling really awful that my horses are sweltering in some pretty disgusting heat. Hopefully we'll start seeing some signs of monsoon weather by the time I get back (Saturday).

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:19 pm

Just got back from a week long vacation down exvet's way so I only rode this weekend. For vacation, we drove to Bryce Canyon, then Pipe Spring and North Rim Grand canyon, (stayed 1 night in Page, Az) then South Rim, then Montezuma Well, Montezuma Castle and Tuzygoot. Tried to go to to other pueblo sites near there but they were a long ways down an unimproved dirt road and we were in my Avalon so...We stayed 2 nights in flagstaff so we could spend time looking around and then we went on to Cortez, Co via Monument Valley. On the "way" we stopped at one of my favorite places, Hovenweep. it was pushing 100F so we did not do the full 2 mile trail but we still managed to spend almost 2 hrs poking around there. Next morning, we headed home via Price-SLC Utah, luckily getting through Spanish Fork before the fire shut everything down. We had originally planned to go to 4 Corners, but the Navajo res is still shut down for Covid so no go on that, nor were the hundreds of roadside stands normally open along the highway. Oh well. it was a wonderful week, all 3 of us had a super good time and are glad to be home.

lots of cool stuff going on riding-wise for you guys! Happy to see Moutaineer and Heddy riding, and sounds/looks like Blob, Chisamba and Tanga had some good feedback at shows. Jingle for lipsmacker and sf's horses, I hope both are back to full health very, very soon!

My horses are somehow even fatter than before I left but they did fine without me I guess. It was pretty dang hot this weekend so I took the boys for rides down the road and not a lot of arena work (also the dang shoer didn't show up while I was gone so their feet are pretty long and chewed up now :x ). Tio continues to be a pleasure to ride now, even cantering him is fun, so I guess I won't sell him after all. :P I just really need to get back to riding all 3 horses regularly.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:50 pm

Awesome Tanga! And what excellent feed back. Worth the price of the show I’m sure. Blob glad it went well with RO for the most part and fftt on snarky judges comment. We all know you are a talented rider. Let it roll off

Well the clinic had some hiccups ( lame clinic horse when she got here :( rider deciding to not show up grr) but for all of us who got to ride we all had excellent lessons each day. Keep pushing for the next step.

So Cedar and I shared the riding duties with Joplin this time with bit of us doing some new lateral work Joplin’s first HI at the trot and Cedar asking for more with some trot HP and going from counter SI to HI at the trot Joplin is really stepping up to the more demanding work. She has a very good work ethic. Canter is her most difficult issue right now trying to get a better balance with that big old stride she has. Once she gets the strength to carry it she is going to have a very elevated and animated canter.

Then we did a thing this afternoon. It was just Cedar and I left at the farm and I wanted to get Joplin out a second time to work her in hand. I asked Cedar to push her a bit to see if she would give us piaffe steps. Well my mare has the skills!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQJAp18pE5_ ... =copy_link

I just throughly enjoyed the clinic and all of my rides on Joplin! She’s such a pleasure

Gaila is coming along well too. She had a bit of push back after the energizing Cedar did in hand but we did some nice work to show her how not to get braced and nappy and she took the work well. Her canter is coming along nicely. All in all a very successful clinic with some wonderful fun people too

Flight I hope this works. I cannot figure out how to post photos directly from my phone
Last edited by khall on Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:11 pm

Oh man, I need some device to make me stop hunching over at shows! Argh! I might have to wear the shoulders back.

My friend had a pro video, so I'll let you see the freestyle. This is Sue Curry's beautiful place. Yes, you can yell at me to stop hunching over and stop going side to side on changes! I am BAD! Looking at the test and her comments, maybe I'll change all of the music, or drop the music I love for the piaffe/passage and make it clearer. She actually gave me my highest score in the collectives on degree of difficulty. I can ride this a LOT better and we CAN do clean ones and better piaffe/passage (it looks so much better in the mirror at the barn!) but I think we're making progress.

https://vimeo.com/562353079/56d40228eb

Blob. Sorry about that comment! From judging yesterday, it always reminds me how tired you get and how hard it is to say just the right thing in the final comments, so try to put it down the judge was just losing it a bit. 68% is a good score!

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:32 pm

Loving the show reports! Blob, yes that comment could have been worded better that's for sure. Nice scores and big difference from the spooky test to the outdoor test on the first day.
T level is training level? Which I think is equivalent to our novice. Asking/looking for suspension at novice I feel isn't very correct. I'm not a judge so happy to be told otherwise, but it's still only working trot. To me suspension and elasticity comes in with the collected gaits. I think we push horses too much too early in their dressage careers, and this way of judging just adds to it.

Norsey's new saddle arrived. It's a Loxley. I was told by someone else that the balance point in the seat is inherently backwards in these saddles and unfortunately I have to agree! I did ride in a demo, and found the same thing but was told mine will have deeper panels which will make it feel more balanced. Mine initially felt like I was falling off the cantle but it is settling in now and not so bad. However, it has really good clearance for Norsey's wither and doesn't rock on him at all, so I will just suck it up and make do. It is a nice soft saddle though and comfy otherwise.

I was hoping you'd share some vid Tanga. Thanks! That was great to watch. I personally find it hard in competitions to not exaggerate your aids, because you HAVE to get the movements at the exact time. I can ride much more quietly with my body etc in training.

Khall, your link didn't work for me.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:24 am

Flight wrote:Loving the show reports! Blob, yes that comment could have been worded better that's for sure. Nice scores and big difference from the spooky test to the outdoor test on the first day.
T level is training level? Which I think is equivalent to our novice. Asking/looking for suspension at novice I feel isn't very correct. I'm not a judge so happy to be told otherwise, but it's still only working trot. To me suspension and elasticity comes in with the collected gaits. I think we push horses too much too early in their dressage careers, and this way of judging just adds to it.

T does equal training level! But the comment about suspension was for my first level test (sorry, I wasn't very clear!). At first level you add lengthenings at trot and canter, leg yields, and 10 meter trot circles. I think the judges point was that if I wanted my first level scores to be as high as training level scores, I'd need to start thinking about suspension

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:08 am

Interesting (in a very good way) lesson this afternoon.

The new saddle (another Loxley, Flight!) really helps my position and Potters apparently loves it. A saddle for every bum, it would seem! Of course, I do have the advantage of boarding with the local Bliss rep/saddle fitter, so she can tweak the balance perfectly for me.

He was fun and quite playful to ride today. For the first time he felt to me like he was focusing on me and trying to decipher my flailings rather than just tuning me out and looking for stuff to spook at.

I've got no damned idea what I'm doing, apparently. In addition to the things I wanted to do and managed to ask for correctly, We got a very fancy Spanish Walk that I didn't think I'd asked for (Blob, when I work out what I did, I'll let you know :)) and some very lovely and equally not knowingly requested passage. Both offered with good humor and kindness, rather than as evasions, I believe.

Oh, and not a spook in sight.

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:26 am

T does equal training level! But the comment about suspension was for my first level test (sorry, I wasn't very clear!). At first level you add lengthenings at trot and canter, leg yields, and 10 meter trot circles. I think the judges point was that if I wanted my first level scores to be as high as training level scores, I'd need to start thinking about suspension

Oh sorry, reading post nightshift, so I'm not reliable. Yes, I guess for first (our elementary, I have to convert it in my brain which is still post nightshifty) you do have collected gaits so it does start to come in. Did you get any pics or vid??

Mountaineer, that would be very helpful to be boarding with a bliss saddle fitter! And sounds like you are working it out with Potters. I'm enjoying hearing your story. It's not easy getting used to another horse. I reckon it takes at least 12 months.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:43 am

Yesterday I built a box with 8 poles (2 per side) with the intention of cantering in it with MM. This was not very successful and I realize I have a lot of work to do in order to get the canter as maneuverable and adjustable as I'd like and as I probably need to really get those changes and eventually the piris and even improve our HP. So, I will expand our box some and work towards getting us into the smaller box over time. Both MM and I like a visual cue, so I think the physical box is helpful in a way eyeballing would not. It keeps us honest

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:09 pm

Blob, the box is so useful! You may have done this, but if not, you can leave about a meter open at each corner so you can ride in and out, then ride a half volte as you leave the box, canter straight inside the box, and then another half volte as you leave on the other side, and then tighten it up from there so you're cantering totally inside the box. A cone at the very corner is good for extra accuracy going in and out. I really need to set this up again this weekend. Thanks for the reminder!

Had a jump lesson on Annabelle this morning and it was pure crap, so I've scheduled another for next week. She clearly needs to have some sort of bounce or grid to warm up and start jumping properly. Some of the work in between the jumps was nice though.

Second ride back on Tesla this morning; she is not fully convinced that her vacation should be over, but she does get in the swing of things after 10 minutes or so. The NS Turtle Tactio is showing promise in that I can get more contact and actually put her where I want her a little more proactively. Won't be cantering until the hole in her chest closes up so I can get the martingale back on her, so in the meantime I'll be working on getting her more snappy in the W/T/W transitions and bending, leg yield and changing reins in the trot.
Keep calm and canter on.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:59 pm

Late to the party but well-done Tanga and blob! That was a bit of a comment blob and I hope just a case of heat exhaustion brain silliness from the judge rather than a burn on a well-scored test. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for new music Tanga!

Straightforward, interesting about Tesla and the turtle tactio. That was one of the bits I had on trial and it seemed that she liked it until it locked in place in the turtle piece and then she HATED IT. Stand on hind legs hated it. Only bit I’ve switched out mid-ride. Funny and maddening how particular they can be!

Had a nice day off on Monday even though it was pouring rain for most of it. Had scheduled another arena hire to a place that had 2 jump arenas and a full dressage court thinking I could bounce around to the various arenas to get an almost show-like experience but the weather had other plans. Since it was solid downpour we were stuck in their indoor which was small and hard, hard footing but still a good experience.

Just did a little bit of working through the gaits and getting used to a ‘new to her’ indoor with jumps/poles/barrels in the corners and mirrors in different spots.

The funny part? I’m glad that I’m over the point of people watching me ride because as soon as I started working a gaggle of ladies appeared in the aisle connected to said indoor to chat, far enough back that I couldn’t hear but they could see. As I came around the corner and saw that I just laughed to myself far too focused on Kora and the process to care.

Very pleased with another notch of experience in our belts and excited for the new fun adventure this coming Saturday: Intro to Mountain Trail Clinic

khall

Postby khall » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:06 pm

Some video of one of our lessons with Cedar. Joplin’s first HI at the trot. Her lateral work is just so easy for her! So different than my WBs though Gaila is easier than Rip by far.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0PmV1wT ... i2FXUjglsw
Last edited by khall on Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:23 pm

good idea with the box, SF! I left one side open so I could come in and out easily, but having multiple openings I think would help me customize my line even more and will help esp when I need a bigger box for now to build the strength.

Joplin is looking great, Khall. She is such a pretty girl!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:55 am

:) :) :) :)

And thats all I've got to say about today's ride!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:55 am

It was in the air, Mountaineer! Maia's been a perfect angel since I got back on her ... until today. She let her hair down and turned *all* the crazy loose :lol:

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:14 pm

Those were happy smiling faces :)

Return to “Dressage Training”