Wanting to share: Cedar lunging technique

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Wanting to share: Cedar lunging technique

Postby khall » Sun May 09, 2021 2:31 am

So impressive watching Cedar with these horses. She is fearless in trying out of the box work. This work originated from JP

https://fb.watch/5n0lWrLyEk/

Ryeissa

Re: Wanting to share: Cedar lunging technique

Postby Ryeissa » Tue May 11, 2021 5:22 pm

khall wrote:So impressive watching Cedar with these horses. She is fearless in trying out of the box work. This work originated from JP

https://fb.watch/5n0lWrLyEk/

not my thing for safety reasons but interesting!

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Wed May 12, 2021 5:59 am

That is so cool! But good heavens Odin would totally take this as an ideal opportunity to exit stage left :lol:
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed May 12, 2021 1:16 pm

to what purpose?

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed May 12, 2021 1:19 pm

It's interesting....but I am with Rye....this looks dangerous.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed May 12, 2021 1:24 pm

I'd have a mare attempting to strangle herself :shock:

I do have both mares change directions in front of me, but it's like what you see here at 7 seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtsMaGG3reg

And, yes, I lunge in a rope halter 90% of the time.

blob

Postby blob » Wed May 12, 2021 1:34 pm

Chisamba wrote:to what purpose?

This would be my question as well. I think it is impressive coordination for sure! But I'm not sure what benefit it has for horse. If the goal is changing directions it seems like that might better done at liberty as it seems as if the line isn't really serving any real purpose. It's a pretty dance to watch, but other than coordination of handler, I can't figure out the benefit, so I would love to hear the 'why' behind it!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed May 12, 2021 2:09 pm

blob wrote:
Chisamba wrote:to what purpose?

This would be my question as well. I think it is impressive coordination for sure! But I'm not sure what benefit it has for horse. If the goal is changing directions it seems like that might better done at liberty as it seems as if the line isn't really serving any real purpose. It's a pretty dance to watch, but other than coordination of handler, I can't figure out the benefit, so I would love to hear the 'why' behind it!

right, there are ways to bend the horse towards the handler and switch directions that isn't putting the line on the other side of the neck.
Also, there are options for double longing or longlining too....

My horse is very good at longing but has occasionally taken off, so this wouldn't be a situation I would put the horse in

khall

Postby khall » Wed May 12, 2021 2:46 pm

Rye they do long lining and double lunging as well

The line on the outside teaches the horse to yield to the outside rein. This work also gets the horse really in tune with what the handler is asking. Has anyone seen the lunging with a neck rope only? Similar concept.

One of the new exercises Cedar brought to us last clinic emphasizes the yielding to the rein. This is done in hand and you use the bending rein to draw the horse in SI towards the handler on the circle so if you are on left circle you are in SI left having the horse yield to the bending rein and move towards the handler in SI. This teaches the horse to not only yield to the inside rein but to step under COM from the rein. Same concept as opening outside rein in HP to yield the outside hind under COM. Connecting the rein to the feet.

This connects the outside rein to the outside shoulder for turning. It is not easy. I’ve tried it. Then to get the outside turn on line. Very difficult to do both. Joplin was happy to yield to the outside line and turn to the outside but did not want to yield and stay on the circle with the line on the outside

As for dangerous well long reign Rip one day he spun spooking at something and ended up wrapped in the lines. Thankfully he just stood there. In the NH world I’ve dabbled in they rope feet and teach the horse to yield to the rope on the foot leading them by that rope on the foot. Which just basically teaches them impulse control to not panic when they feel something tighten around their leg.

There is one European guru who does this but can’t find him in quick search but this is what I’m talking about

https://youtu.be/AjPidpCzjFk

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed May 12, 2021 3:24 pm

khall wrote:Rye they do long lining and double lunging as well

The line on the outside teaches the horse to yield to the outside rein. This work also gets the horse really in tune with what the handler is asking. Has anyone seen the lunging with a neck rope only? Similar concept.

One of the new exercises Cedar brought to us last clinic emphasizes the yielding to the rein. This is done in hand and you use the bending rein to draw the horse in SI towards the handler on the circle so if you are on left circle you are in SI left having the horse yield to the bending rein and move towards the handler in SI. This teaches the horse to not only yield to the inside rein but to step under COM from the rein. Same concept as opening outside rein in HP to yield the outside hind under COM. Connecting the rein to the feet.

This connects the outside rein to the outside shoulder for turning. It is not easy. I’ve tried it. Then to get the outside turn on line. Very difficult to do both. Joplin was happy to yield to the outside line and turn to the outside but did not want to yield and stay on the circle with the line on the outside

As for dangerous well long reign Rip one day he spun spooking at something and ended up wrapped in the lines. Thankfully he just stood there. In the NH world I’ve dabbled in they rope feet and teach the horse to yield to the rope on the foot leading them by that rope on the foot. Which just basically teaches them impulse control to not panic when they feel something tighten around their leg.

There is one European guru who does this but can’t find him in quick search but this is what I’m talking about

https://youtu.be/AjPidpCzjFk

why do you want them to yield to the outside rein?

I just do in hand work where my hands are "like I'm riding" with bit and bridle, standing at the shoulder. For me it works better as I have the right timing/feel.

khall

Postby khall » Wed May 12, 2021 3:29 pm

Yield their shoulders to the outside rein. The outside rein controls the turning if the shoulders

When I do in hand I do not put my hands like I’m riding but outside rein comes down to the shoulder and my knuckles stay on the shoulder to stabilize the hand. When you engage the rein this way by drawing downwards it lifts the bit to the corner on the mouth ( plus especially with Rip and Juliet they are just too tall to wih any other way). I will often step back and employ the outside rein to get the horses to bring their shoulders toward me yielding the outside shoulder to the rein. Same concept with the line on the outside. Whether they yield in true bend or counter bend the other rein is what determines the bend. But I usually yield in true bend and can take it to toh

So for me there are different ways the horse should yield to the rein. Laterally longitudinally the shoulders the hips which is ultimately the feet

When tanga talks about moving the reins to the outside in HP what the action of the rein is one the inside rein supports the inside shoulder to help keep the horse up off that shoulder which allows for the outside hind to step under com. The outside rein yields the outside hip and leg so the outside hind steps under com. ( center of mass). This is an example if the horse yielding to the rein in lateral movements

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed May 12, 2021 4:04 pm

khall wrote:Yield their shoulders to the outside rein. The outside rein controls the turning if the shoulders

ok, interesting. I don't do this but my bad habit is to overly cross the outside rein over withers.
I bring my outside shoulder OUT to the side more so there is space to fill coming from my inside seat. I turn the horse from my thigh vs rein.

khall

Postby khall » Wed May 12, 2021 4:14 pm

Well ultimately yes you turn the horse with the thigh and knee but riding young green horses you need a bit more aids ( or big drafty heavy in the front like Juliet)

My ultimate HP aid is to just step into the inside stirrup. My OTTB g who was a wiggle worm and could go sideways as easy as any Iberian I’ve ridden that was his aid for HP. For my WBs yeah spurs. Juliet is now getting the blunt rowel spur. Joplin I do believe will end up being as sensitive as my OTTB. But you start with more aids and the yielding to the rein is one of the basic aids. As you develop the horse the aids become more refined.

As for shoulders in HP I can either keep them in line with the horse’s shoulders or turn to the outside a bit which opens the outside rein and sends the weight to the inside seat stirrup. I never want to lean one way or the other but stay stacked with spine straight and rotate around the spinal column.

Return to “Dressage Training”