Tongue Issue With 4-Year Old - Help

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
tlkidding
Herd Member

Tongue Issue With 4-Year Old - Help

Postby tlkidding » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:59 pm

My 4-year old gelding just started sticking his tongue out under saddle the last 4 rides.

I had a bit fitting and am waiting for my backordered but but in the meantime, had switched from a happy mouth mullen to a KK double jointed bradoon. I knew there was too much play with double jointed bits but thought my new single jointed HS RS would arrive much sooner. I switched him back to the happy mouth mullen, which helped some but he still does it. He's in a loose crank caveson and no flash.

He mostly does it at the walk on "contact" (which is very light and very unsteady currently) but will do it some at the trot. He doesn't start the ride doing it - it's either when he's maybe a little bored or tired, but he's only ridden for 20-30 minutes and usually still has energy left. It's always the right side, and he seems to like holding it or maybe sucking on it a bit. He's a very, very, very oral horse who is always chewing on something unless I'm right there - cross ties, his tie rope, etc.)

He's getting checked by the vet today - teeth, TMJ, poll, and general exam of the neck and back. Any other basic things to start with? If his back isn't 100% happy, I'll have his saddle checked again (was done like 3 months ago).

Training and/or equipment wise, any suggestions to resolve this immediately? I feel like he's a horse that likes habits and don't want him to develop and reinforce this as a habit.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Re: Tongue Issue With 4-Year Old - Help

Postby Srhorselady » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:00 pm

I’ve heard of people wrapping the bit in a fruit roll to help horses accept the bit. Maybe he would suck bit and not stick tongue out? It should create more saliva…. Definitely agree not a habit you want starting.

Ryeissa
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:11 pm

do you have a video?
What if you do more engaging things in the middle like walk over poles or do cavaletti?
As much as I don't like flashes or drops, for a very very temporary fix it might help till you get more of an idea what is going on.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:23 pm

Can you try bitless for the time being? Piedmontfields had to with her mare. She enjoyed the change

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:31 pm

the in hand chewing exercise is useful for this.

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:21 pm

Chisamba wrote:the in hand chewing exercise is useful for this.

Can you describe this again? Is this the "lift one side of the bit to the corner of the mouth" exercise? Thanks!

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:29 pm

The vet check was unexciting but might explain why he first tried sticking his tongue out. He had a cap on each side that just came off, which could be slightly uncomfortable. The other thing is she could feel small bumps where his canines will erupt (which may take a while yet). I wonder if he was trying to rub that spot and then found that sucking on his tongue was fun.

Back in the happy mouth bit, I've kept the rides short and only saw his tongue for a few seconds yesterday at the trot just as he needed to take a little break. He stopped right away. After working in the arena, we walked around the field and I kept him on a long rein and there was no tongue, so that's an improvement.

@Ryeissa, interestingly the last few rides (besides being short in duration), we did some "new" things. I did a canter pole for the first time, and the second ride we worked on shoulder fore - and his tongue stayed in. So I think keeping the rides a bit shorter, long rein breaks before he gets tired, and working on "interesting" things might help. We'll see if he continues to do it this week when we go for a trail ride which was where he started and it was the worst - we're going to try a longer rein and only ask for contact when he needs the support going downhill.

@khall, I've actually been trying to transition him to a show legal bit as I need to get him out to a few shows this summer. He was in a Duo wrapped in sealtex, but the happy mouth mullen seems to be ok and he's stopped chewing on it so much.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:37 pm

tlkidding wrote:

Can you describe this again? Is this the "lift one side of the bit to the corner of the mouth" exercise? Thanks!

that is what I meant. you lift the bit and when he uses his tongue normally, you release so if you are riding and he sticks his tongue out you can.lift the rein to encourage him to relax and mobilize the tongue.

I have also found putting your other hand at the girth while lifting the bit and asking the horse to yield doing a turn on forehand in hand will begin to activating the hind end while softening the jaw.
I will often do these small in hand exercises before riding then carry them over to under saddle

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:23 pm

Chisamba wrote:
tlkidding wrote:

that is what I meant. you lift the bit and when he uses his tongue normally, you release so if you are riding and he sticks his tongue out you can.lift the rein to encourage him to relax and mobilize the tongue.

I have also found putting your other hand at the girth while lifting the bit and asking the horse to yield doing a turn on forehand in hand will begin to activating the hind end while softening the jaw.
I will often do these small in hand exercises before riding then carry them over to under saddle

Thanks Chisamba. That's actually what I try to do under saddle to get him to stop, but I'm sure educating him on the ground first before he starts sticking his tongue out will be better training.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:08 pm

tlkidding wrote:@Ryeissa, interestingly the last few rides (besides being short in duration), we did some "new" things. I did a canter pole for the first time, and the second ride we worked on shoulder fore - and his tongue stayed in. So I think keeping the rides a bit shorter, long rein breaks before he gets tired, and working on "interesting" things might help. We'll see if he continues to do it this week when we go for a trail ride which was where he started and it was the worst - we're going to try a longer rein and only ask for contact when he needs the support going downhill.

great- interesting! keep us posted. its nice to get feedback on if my advice is on track or not....

Return to “Dressage Training”