September - October goals and progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Ryeissa
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: September - October goals and progress

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:53 pm

Chisamba wrote:exvet, obviously Lilo Fore is a superior clinician. I have a metaphor I would like to add. I think of horses as fluid filled vessels and the energy pour out wherever the vessel bulges ( so we try to be straight.) but the hardest way to straighten a bulge is at the bulge. you either need to push the base under or pull the spour. or both together. I would straighten Junior ( or try) by riding his hind end. getting it really supple. responsive and adjustable. stop worrying about your hands and worry about his bum.

just a perspective.

agree. My horse is a squishy wiggly guy too (very similiar to Junior) and i call this "fighting the battle on 5 fronts".
In the longer LF video he is throwing his left shoulder to the left. I found as a complement to the other work turning my body to the right (when going left) is also helpful to keep the shoulder straight in line. This is done just at the pelvis- you seem to like to sit left so there is less support for the left side of the body. Try moving the left seatbone more into the middle of the saddle. This is an element of the Spiral seat idea except it's not turning your shoulders - his shoulders are straight and yours should be as well. This is more to correct asymmetries. I also like to bring the outside hand away from the neck to create space for him to fill the outside right rein to help him be more through. Each horse is different, so JMHO, but I've had a very very similar lesson as you did here.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:59 pm

Thank you for sharing all these video clips, Exvet--they have been so educational to watch. And it definitely looks like you got a lot out of the ride.

LSP, so glad you're making so much progress with Lynx and enjoying him. He's a lovely boy. Don't be too hard on yourself re: position. Position is a forever work in progress. I don't know any rider that looks at themselves and says 'yup, looking perfect'. We fix one thing, find another thing, develop a new habit, overcorrect, re-correct, find something else, and so on and so forth. How is the saddle search going with Lynx? Finding a saddle you feel good in definitely does help.

Aleuronx, those boots are beautiful!

SF--Tesla continues to look better and better, love watching her progress.

I got back from regionals last night and am still dealing with a bit of a horse show hangover. But I wanted to share a show report/update with everyone. Overall, it was a very good show for RP--one that exceeded expectations. We'd had a very wet week leading up to the show so Thursday (our practice day) and Friday (first day of showing) were all puddles. Thankfully because puddles were everywhere, I was able to use warm up rings to make sure RP got used to going through them. On Friday we rode a practice t-3, most of the test felt very good, but we did get a small break in the left lead canter. Despite that we walked away with a 74.6% (our highest score ever), including a 9 on our free walk and a handful of 8's (including both rider scores, which I was especially proud of).

On Saturday our first test of the day--the Pony Cup class--was not great. He was tense and wanted to run around, esp in the left lead. But we survived it and then had a very tight turn around 40 minutes before my championship class at training level. So, i gave him a short break and then we got back on and spent most of the warm up doing changes of bend leading with the shoulder to really get his shoulders loosened up and to help him relax. As a result, most of our test felt good and big improvement from earlier. But during our left lead canter circle we had a bit of a moment. I'm not sure what set it off But he ended up trying to tossing his head up and trying to take off. Thankfully it was all contained to a single circle. So that movement suffered--one judge called it 'unfortunate naughtiness" and the other said "horse getting rude in the bridle" LOL. But I was still able to finish the test without any other shenanigans. We still ended up with a really good score--69.6%--and ended up as reserve champion and only 0.5% behind the champion.

Sunday I rode 1-3 with him for the first time. He was still being fussy about the left lead (the trend for the weekend), but otherwise put in a good test for a 66%, good enough for a qualifying score for next year.

He's getting a bit of well deserved time off while I have a busy work week. Now I just need to decide if I'm going to Nationals or not?!? I never even considered it was a possibility, but we have a wild card nomination and i have 96 hours to decide. The cost/time/logistics feel complicated esp without my own trailer. BUT of course it's also one of those things where I don't know if I'll ever qualify again and it would be a good experience/exciting. But also it sounds stressful! Anyway, something for me to debate the next couple days.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:10 pm

Wow Blob! Congratulations on the great show and monster T-3 score. That is so impressive! Nationals sounds like an exciting opportunity, but I wouldn't be surprised if you get another shot at it sometime whether you go this time or not.

LSP, thank you - I think your position looks good and totally appropriate for Lynx's level of training. I am definitely having to sit back and into Tesla more than I am used to on a young horse. Time in the saddle works wonders, and like Blob says, getting the right saddle makes things much easier too.
Keep calm and canter on.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:41 pm

Congrats Blob!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:48 pm

Wow, congratulations Blob. You are on a roll this season with MM and RP! That's awesome. How far is regionals for you?

Thank you Blob and SF for kind words. It's frustrating when our bodies do one thing but our mind knows better! Nothing to do but keep riding and working at it. I'm definitely enjoying Lynx though. Big smiles here. :)

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:48 pm

Blob, saddle fitter comes Thursday. Fingers crossed that we get something nice for both lynx and I.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:28 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:Wow, congratulations Blob. You are on a roll this season with MM and RP! That's awesome. How far is regionals for you?

thank you! Regionals thankfully was a short distance (1 hour). Nationals is in Kentucky--about 6 hours. So not completely insane, but not just a hop, skip away either.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:56 pm

Super congrats, Blob! Nice job! You mentioned show hangover in addition to making a decision about nationals, BUT, when you get to it, pictures would be so nice!! No pressure hahah, but I always enjoy your pics!

It was nice to see Tesla, and Lynx. You both look like you’re enjoying your horses. Lots to look forward to!

Exvet, that last vid from Sunday was really, really nice. I hope you are able to get her to come back on a regular basis. Honestly, I’ve always heard she was a top trainer, but watching how she worked you made me think she is better than ever. Kinda like a good wine, you know… the good ones get even better as they age.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:19 pm

LSP- you have a nice position! Don't be so hard on yourself. Lynx had many nice moments and looks really good!

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:10 pm

Okay, I'll be the enabler. If you're qualified Blob and have any inkling of desire to go, then go. Nothing in life is guaranteed, so go and enjoy the experience. Certainly my plan for 2022 if things come together.

LSP you and the boy look so age appropriate great. Agreed that a saddle will do you both wonders and fingers crossed for that.

Boots are good but a struggle to break in. So of course I decided to schedule myself a lesson tomorrow.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:57 pm

Awesome score Blob and I agree with Aleuronx. I always reached for the stars when I was younger whether others thought I should or not because given my family's genetics (father's medical history) I didn't want to wait until it was too late physically or mentally to be able to do it. Those guarantees just don't exist. If you have any desire to go, make it happen.

As for my and Junior's straightness issues I will say that I might have one thing going in my favor....LOL....seems that Brandon's one-sided or favored sided issues are exactly the opposite. Perhaps riding both will help me improve :)

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:07 pm

6 hours isn't around the corner but doable! I live by the motto you only live once! I'd go if possible. I do think you'll probably have another opportunity but you never know what other obstacles there might be.

Heck I have even contemplated driving to New Mexico (6 hours) for a clinic next year with Jeremy Steinberg. (I've audited him for years and have ridden with him before, itching to have his eyes on me with Lynx at some point.) Let alone something so earned like this.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:47 pm

What did you like most about Jeremy Steinberg Lipsmackerpony88? He's in my area in November and I was considering a spot. Curious to your take on him!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:26 pm

Aleuronx, I've audited him for years. Over the years watching him teach I've just find myself agreeing with him on a lot of things. He's big on theory but at the same time not making things over complicated or too unattainable for people, which I think a lot of us have probably come across especially early on in our dressage journey. Like yes this is not an easy sport and it takes a lot of dedication but people can be successful even as amateurs and even on all kinds of different horses. I've seen him teach all kinds of people all different levels and all kinds of breeds. I've noticed that as long as the rider showed up ready to listen and work hard they got a lot out of it. If you think you already know it all and aren't going to try then he will give you that type of lesson too from what I've seen.

As an instructor for me I thought he really pushed me and zoned in quickly to what I needed to work on and myself as a rider. I did get to spend some extra time with him as he stayed at my house during the clinic. And then one time I was able to have wine with him and Ali Brock and talk horses which was also very beneficial for me. He's one that I like to audit as much as ride with. Maybe audit even more as it all starts to connect, seeing how he trains through the levels.

But he has a very motivating way of teaching for myself. Very much kind of a "come on, ask for more!" Excited, even growl a bit at you type. But not in a scary intimidating way in a energizing way. Otherwise he can also be very quiet and calm when needed too.

He has trained with some very good people and I just think in a lot of ways he makes sense to me and I trust that he's very correct. Every clinician has their flaws but for me I just really trust what he has to say.

He is pricey and he does talk a lot which I know is not for everybody. I think he has a lot of good points and if you listen and soak it in I think it's really good but some people do not like that type of ride. For the price I do recommend auditing him first but I absolutely look forward to riding with him again someday.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:29 pm

Aleuronx, I have seen at least two people that did not have good rides with him if you want to pm about it. One was very vocal about it and the other I just got the feeling she probably felt that way. I think this was just not a good match with their personalities and his way of teaching/personality but like I said if you want to know more feel free to PM me.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:31 pm

I finally was able to have the saddle fitter out!! Hallelujah!! I tried a couple different saddles this morning and settled on a Kent and Masters. I'll be able to do a 7-day trial so fingers crossed we keep liking it. I finally felt I could actually sit the canter today. Yay!!

And the other night is a bit chilly and me and Lynx had a ride where I didn't even have to think about using the whip. I even got told to slow him down a little. It was pretty nice! He was more forward but still a very sane guy. Love him!!

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:04 pm

So, I've been reading but not posting. Life is changing and we've became empty-nesters (which took a ton of energy-who knew) and now we are grandparents and, well, lots has been going on. Mikey and I have been playing with XC and more jumping and we did 2 schooling dressage shows. 66% across the board for TL2 and 3 2 separate times but the last time was when he wasn't quite right in retrospect. Sigh. Leading into a lameness of the unidentified sort and it gets interesting. The lameness is relatively new, he was NQR about 3 weeks ago and we thought it was sensitivity from his trim, not uncommon. But as of almost 2 weeks ago, we pulled him from riding. He's been up and down. Vet came today and can't figure it out. Short story, we do think he did something in the field and are hoping it's that and it will settle in a week or maybe Lymes. I have 2 friends' horses to play with in the meantime. Bear, the draft mix and another guy, Sylvester who is a retired eventer (injury), he's 13, who is a fun school-masterish guy. Pics of Bear attached, working on getting him to open his throatlatch but wow is he fun to ride. So yeah. I am so thankful to have horses to play with while Mr. Mikey is futzing about.
Attachments
bear1.jpg
bear1.jpg (110.15 KiB) Viewed 16380 times
mikey gymnastics.jpg
mikey gymnastics.jpg (100.84 KiB) Viewed 16380 times
bear2.jpg
bear2.jpg (114.2 KiB) Viewed 16380 times

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:20 pm

And now some comments-my brain is fried. Hard day. Still working on keeping kids out of nest. Plus vet.

I loved your videos exvet, thank you for sharing. Yes, very educational. And your comment about the hands. Me too.

Blob-CONGRATS!! I will also enable-go for it!!

SF-Tesla is really coming along.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:17 am

Good to hear from you Chantal! Sorry to hear Mikey is NQR. I hope you're able to get to the bottom of it and sorted out soon. Great that you have others to ride in the meantime!

LSP, glad you were able to get the fitter out. K&M should be a perfect starter saddle. I had Tesla over to my saddler yesterday and there were lots of changes from when we were there last about two months ago. She is alarmingly smaller on the right side than the left, so I am going to try shimming the whole right side and hopefully that will help me help her and we can both start working a little more evenly. Nothing looks atrophied, but it explains why she is so crooked. Right now she is still coughing, so I'm crossing my fingers that we can get through a lesson on Sunday. She seems to feel fine and was cruising around on the lunge at a trot without any urging from me at all.

Annabelle went to the vet for a recheck yesterday and got the go-ahead to get back to work with about three weeks to build back up to normal work level. So I'm using this time to work on my position and get her used to the double bridle (and me sorting out the extra reins). She has been feeling good - when I took her for a quick spin yesterday she locked on to a jump as we were cantering by and I had to pull her up before she jumped! We should be having good weather the next few weeks, so I'm hoping to get both girls back in gear soon.
Keep calm and canter on.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:13 am

Sorry to hear about your NQR horse Chantal. Bear is super lovely though, gosh!
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:43 pm

What a bummer Chantal. I agree with mari too, Bear is something else.

SF glad to read that Annabelle got the alls clear sign. Nothing more frustrating than rehabbing especially where there are so many things to get done but it sounds like you have the right plan in place that will actually get you guys ahead of the game.

LSP - glad you finally found a saddle. I'm afraid Brandon is so butt high again that my passier is not fitting him as well as it did just 2 weeks ago. At least I have 3 saddles to use, not including my western saddle and a mattes pad which hopefully will get us through until I feel he's finally done growing.

Here is a picture taken yesterday of my shape-shifter steed:

khall

Postby khall » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:11 pm

Well done blob!! If you go to Nationals you should introduce yourself to Cedar. She’s showing at FEI there.

SF glad Annabelle is ready to go back to work. Jingles Tesla does not get worse

Chantal jingles for Mikey! Nice catch rides though:)

I’m scheduled to take Joplin to a schooling show just to get her out 10/23. I’ve signed up for a couple of WT tests just to see how she goes. We will see!

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:53 pm

Yay for Annabelle!! And hoping Tesla feels better.

exvet-I love your shape shifter!!

Good luck khali, have fun at your shows.

Thanks Mari and khali, I'm so lucky to have busy friends who will share their horses.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:57 pm

Chantal, sorry about your boy being NQR. I hope he either comes right soon or you figure it out!! But what nice horses that you get to ride in the meantime!!

Exvet, yep, butt high!!! Oh young horses. See this is why I'm dead set I'm not spending more than two grand on a saddle right now.

I rode in the saddle again today although it was a bit of a tricky day. Lynx have been worked Monday through Friday this week which I thought would mean a pretty quiet pony today. Especially because after temperatures in the 30s and 40s it was a nice sunny 60° day. But for whatever reason he decided he didn't want to be alone in the dressage arena and called out for friends most of the lesson. We debated lunging him (trainer and I) But I didn't think it was excess energy. Maybe just baby brain and ready for a day off. Regardless he was still a pretty good boy although just a little bit more distracted and tense than normal. He tried his best to be good. I'll admit it wasn't the best conditions to try at the saddle again but my trainer seemed happy with it. One possibly concerning thing was my right hip was kind of numb... Like sciatica nerve type thing. This isn't that abnormal for me with my Elher Delanos syndrome And it could be the boot I was wearing, They are really not very comfortable for my incredibly bony feet. No padding lol.

That being said I'm definitely going to be watching in the next few rides to see if I have any other kind of numbness. Obviously if it seems to be linked to the actual saddle I will have to keep searching.
Attachments
IMG_20211015_143128_900_copy_432x432.jpg
IMG_20211015_143128_900_copy_432x432.jpg (83.51 KiB) Viewed 16262 times

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:58 pm

Not in love with my position, But Lynx and I just kind of had an off day so I'll forgive it ;)
Attachments
IMG_20211015_143128_984_copy_432x432.jpg
IMG_20211015_143128_984_copy_432x432.jpg (80.88 KiB) Viewed 16262 times

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:03 pm

One more photo. I guess that I'm not really happy with how I look the position-wise but again it was just a pretty weird day for both of us. But pretty happy with how Lynx looks here!

Khall, Best of luck on your show! We were thinking about going to a schooling show but it was an hour away, expensive to haul to And I have no idea if it's going to be miserably cold or not. And I would be stuck there the whole day. I just decided that for the first show I'll do one of the little shows at our home barn and then go to a more local schooling show to get off property. We're going to start practicing the test in the next week.
Attachments
IMG_20211015_143128_943_copy_864x864_copy_345x345.jpg
IMG_20211015_143128_943_copy_864x864_copy_345x345.jpg (55.14 KiB) Viewed 16261 times

MsM
Greenie

Postby MsM » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:38 pm

Our big achievement has been finding an instructor to come to the barn to teach me! She is well qualified and so far her methods and philosophies seem to work very well with me and what I have been taught.

I got her to ride Alfie for part of the lesson. This was the first time anybody else has ridden him and really asked him for work! I was really pleased to see that what we had learned together transferred pretty easily (though she did get caught once by his "air brakes") But she pronounced his basics as solid without major holes to go back and fix and just the issues you would expect at his level.

We worked hard (Fortunately he sweated, as he struggles with anhidrosis) trying to help me un-pretzel myself in haunches-in and keeping both legs on. Need to work on collection to "extension" in the trot as his lengthening/medium trots are not big and expressive enough yet. Canter is better and he can really collect with simple changes are fairly reliable now. She says we need to think about flying changes soon! :shock:

Bad news was that my hip on my formerly good side was giving me a lot of pain. I had to take a lot of breaks and stand in the stirrups. At first I thought it was my back problem, but it seemed different and didnt respond to the exercises and medications I used for that. Finally I called an orthopedist to at least rule out hip issues. Radiographs looked good, but the diagnosis was trochanteric bursitis. Yay! That is treatable so I got it injected. Hoping that fixes it.

Other bad news is that instructor is going to Florida this winter after all. She promised to come back once a month which will suit me.

At least I am doing better than a couple of other boarders. One just got her arm out of a cast and her horse injured himself and is laid up for at least a month. Another went though OCD stifle surgery for her horse and then a slow abscess. The horse is finally sound and then she came down with Covid (in spite of vaccination) and is having a tough time getting over it.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:17 pm

So much going on...jingles to all that need them to get their critters sound.

I had some lovely rides on Kyra before I went on vacation. She was surprisingly delightful from the get go. Normally we have to have a pretty good discussion regarding energy during warm-up. Usually, she needs more but these 2 rides she was with me from step one. Just working on basics. my riding is rather sporadic and so basics it is.

I had a lovely vacation on the Oregon coast and was able to check off one bucket list item which was to ride on the beach. I went on a guided trail ride. Would love to have done it on my own horse but just not at that place right now not to mention having to haul her 500 miles :P . There is a nice stable close to where I was staying so I booked a ride back in September. I was somewhat apprehensive due to the length of the ride (90 minutes). But, of course, Acavallo now makes a lovely coccyx cut-out western saddle seat saver (stable didn't have any English saddles) so I bought one and took it with me. The English one won't work on a western saddle but the western one should work on my English saddle when the current one bites the dust so I figure an OK purchase. According to one one of the guides, my seat saver was the envy of many riders :lol: . It worked perfectly and I did not get very sore at all. My mount was a taller Norwegian Fjord horse (14.2). Typical stable ride. He took a lot of leg but when we hit the beach he gave me a very nice easy trot and I got my trot on the beach :mrgreen: . If I can get DD to work on my iPad, I will post a pic. Right now, I can only access DD from my ancient computer that will no longer download pictures.

I got home on Tuesday, Kyra got trimmed on Thursday and I finally got back on her yesterday. She was like what???? I am a little disappointed that while I was gone, the arenas didn't get worked, especially after the rain so the outdoor was very crusty and cuppy. We ended up in the indoor and I did some walk exercises and she finally got with the program. My back was better on vacation but since I went to the chiro on Friday, it got very stiff (may be done with that "therapy"). So, we kept it at walk. Hopefully, the arena gets worked soon. One of the barns I was looking at that was saying they weren't taking any new boarders took that message down so I may contact them. They don't have an indoor but they have access to many trails and hills and their outdoors (2) have been well maintained so I may look at it. I need to have decent footing when I do get to ride. Having to work around the less than ideal footing is really getting to be a bummer.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:25 pm

I am making a quick celebration post without reading everyone's news. I took Saiph to get final show of the season. It was my schooling show championships and the clutter of trailers gave evidence to how many people hoped to win a sash.

first the disappointment. I really wanted to crack a 70. But I, me, the dumbass, made 2 stupid errors, turning L instead of R after the half pass, and forgetting my halt, rein back at A, I suddenly remembered half way between A and F so I was able to show the movement, but I still had an error,, so I only scored a 68.

The good news is 2 fold. we won the third level championship, and there was a high point championship ( all levels all show series) and we came fourth. I know 4th seems fairly mundane, but all three who.placed ahead of me were training level and intro, so we did ok considering our level. Of course it literally poured down rain during the awards so instead of a cute sunny sash photo, Saiph was cursing me for riding in the rain, and all the photographers were under the roof so the photos were somewhat distant.
Attachments
Saiphwintrot240x307-01.jpeg
Saiphwintrot240x307-01.jpeg (44.17 KiB) Viewed 16143 times
Saiph win 240x392-01.jpeg
I am smiling, Saiph is not
Saiph win 240x392-01.jpeg (34.73 KiB) Viewed 16143 times

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:02 pm

Wow, Chisamba! That is wonderful! 68% is amazing at 3rd level. And I think when they do high points including many levels, they need to handicap it so that you get 2 points per level to be even. It's not fair to compare it to training level, let alone intro! Videos? :)

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:12 pm

Congratulations Chisamba, a 68 at third is pretty impressive imo. Nothing like being best in show too! C-E-L-E-B-R-A-T-E!!!!!!!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:39 pm

exvet wrote:Congratulations Chisamba, a 68 at third is pretty impressive imo. Nothing like being best in show too! C-E-L-E-B-R-A-T-E!!!!!!!

thx. I decided to Celebrate and a new to me trailer. my old old green rust bucket looked rather undignified in the sea of trailers lol.
Last edited by Chisamba on Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:45 pm

Congratulations chisamba! Very impressive!!

demi

Postby demi » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:00 am

Yay!!! Chisamba! Way to go! I’ve liked the way you have Saiph moving since you first starting posting pics and vids of her. I think you bring out an elegance in her. Very pretty.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:38 am

Congrats, Chisamba! Really fantastic score, esp considering the small error. And what a lovely, happy picture!

Kyra's mom--there beach ride sounds great, will love to see pictures!

LS I think you look great on lynx. If you could open up your hips a bit more, I think your position would be right where you want it to be

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:43 am

Awesome results Chisamba!
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:05 pm

lipsmackerponty-I love the pics of your guy, looking good!

And congrats Chisamba, well earned!!

Kyra's Mom-don't you just love those delightful rides?? Love the update.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:03 pm

I'm loving all the pictures. Congratulations Chisamba. 68% is super impressive and you know you have room to go up from there, well done!

ExVet- Wow, Brandon has changed so much. Not as much of a chunk as your cobs of course, but really filling out.

LSP, Lynx is looking good. I'll bet he'll really bloom and your partnership will develop so much over the winter!

Kyra's Mom - it would be exciting to find a barn with access to trails as well as good footing!

I had a lesson scheduled yesterday (instructor only comes about 1x a month, so no way to reschedule), so with Tesla still coughing Annabelle had to step in on only our 4th ride after a month off. We kept it lighter and shorter, but worked on changes of bend and position in both trot and canter - SI to renvers along the wall in trot (and we had a lovely SI to travers when my brain mis-fired as it always takes me a moment to remember which way renvers is). Travers up the wall, half volte to shallow trot HP. Then spiral in on the circle and spiral back out with a little SI to HI in canter. Just enough to give us homework. I did the lesson in the snaffle, but also riding in the double seems to be leading to good things, even though I'm riding 98% off off the bradoon at the moment. I think I'll invest in some nicer bits this winter and keep the double in rotation. My instructor agreed that work in the double would likely be very good for her, which was nice to hear, as I was feeling a little sheepish about putting an almost-second level horse in a double already.

Tesla seemed less snotty yesterday and barely coughing, so I'm hoping she'll be back to riding tomorrow. Jeeze, I was looking at her napping in her stall yesterday, and she has put on even more mass recently. If she could just pop up another inch in front and be done growing, that would be great. :lol:
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:25 pm

straightforward, I think it might be my winter goal to try fit and develop Saiph and Kimba in doubles.

does anyone have favorite double combinations?

blob

Postby blob » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:33 pm

Chisamba wrote:straightforward, I think it might be my winter goal to try fit and develop Saiph and Kimba in doubles.

does anyone have favorite double combinations?

Will be interested to hear about what you end up picking.

I don't have a favorite combination. But I do really like sliding cheek weymouth. I imagine there are horses that need or require the stability of a fixed weymouth, but from my understanding they are less severe and make an easier transition.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:45 pm

The double is just such an individual horse thing. I do try to get a similar bradoon to the snaffle I ride in then try different curbs. With Rip he went in a very short shank low port fairly thick curb. Juliet went best in a longer thinner with an angle to it. A bit higher port.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:52 pm

I need a Weymouth lending library til I get it right lol

khall

Postby khall » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:00 pm

Chisamba try dressage extensions they rent the bits to try them
out.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:38 pm

CONGRATULATIONS! Chisamba, excellent work!

Susan, I too love a ride on the beach, used to gallop through the wet sand as a kid living in SoCal. :D

I too would love a Weymouth lending library, although I suspect Rudy won't like a double period. Not only is he super picky about EVERYTHING but he also has a tiny mouth. I would love to try him in one some day, however.

I did finally ride this weekend after not riding for something like a month! Every time I take a long break like that, I wonder why it sometimes takes me so long to get restarted. My horses are so much fun for me to ride and I'm always so happy after riding; why don't I ride every day? :P

Both guys were still very cheeky, even though the temps were warmer than they had been (think nice warm autumn day instead of wintry, crisp day) but they were well-behaved. I did wimp out and didn't ride Tio down the road nor did I canter him, but he did give me some excellent trot work in the arena after ripping the lunge line out of my hands during one of his bucking sprees. I was most pleased that he kept his neck soft and pliable the whole ride, even when he was "spooking" (ie buck/snorting) at birds flying out of the bushes, and he did a full-on stretch long & low at the end of our ride in trot and walk. Even "two steps forward, one step back" eventually results in a "trained" horse I guess. We'll see next spring when I start hitting the local non-dressage schooling shows.

For his part, Rudy was spooking/prancing at irrigation pipes and survey markers of all things. :lol: As always, however, he was never out of control and we had a lovely roadster trot down the farm roads and through the fields. I had to dial him back after awhile though, my back was starting to complain. In the arena, I touched on a few of the things Gary Rockwell pointed out at the clinic I audited, like immediate response to t-c and w-c departs, straightness, and not changing "frame" when performing ly, si or hp. Weirdly enough, Rudy passed all the tests with flying colors and did a beautiful stretchy trot and extended walk to boot. I was riding with new spurs (longer so I can touch him without moving my leg) and without whip...maybe that made a difference? Or maybe he was just happy to be working again! Whatever it was, it was fun, fun, fun.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:45 pm

Congratulations, Chisamba! A just reward for all your thoughtful hard work.

Blob... did you decide whether to go to Nationals?

Lynx looks good

Chantal, I hope your guy feels better soon.

Way too much been going on here in the last couple of weeks for me to comment on, but I've been reading along in my spare time during my "vacation." (I need a vacation from my vacation. Inevitably, with 8 grandkids in the mix, we both have ended up with terrible colds which have run rampant with our total post-covid isolation lack of immunity.)

However, I rode this morning and it was lovely. There's something to be said for handing your horse over to a really good trainer for 3 weeks :) now I need to not screw it up.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:50 am

I did decide to go to Nationals! It'll be a tough year since they had to cancel last year--everyone who qualified last year is also eligible this year. So they will be folks who have already fully moved up and on in my class. But it's ok, the expectation is not to win. I just want a good test I'm proud of. And I think it'll be fun to be there and watch and hang out. A friend of a friend is also going, so we've already teamed up to stable together and split travel expenses and such.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:20 pm

Hi Moutaineer!! Sending you peace and strength (from a new grandma :D ) Bear is ridden by a trainer 1-2x a week and he is so much fun! Hoping to see improvement this week. He looks good in the field and can be turned out so there is that. I'm excited that I will be able to take back what I'm learning on the guys I'm riding to my guy, they are more advanced and helping me with my riding. i'm actually loving it.

Good luck Blob! I hope you enjoy the experience and have a good test.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:35 pm

Yes, blob!!

Wow Chisamba, that's a crackin score and what lovely photos.

Chantal jingles to the unwell dude but how cool to have some fun mounts like that to keep you occupied.

Sue/Chisamba. Definitely check out the bit rental places, it's so worth it. Those things are damn pricey to find out the pony hates it.

I had a great lesson last week even if I couldn't feel my legs at the end of it. The breaking in process is progressing but ride #3 was definitely rough for a lesson. It went a bit like this at the end "Do you know that your right toe is sticking straight out?" "No, I can't feel past my ankles." :lol:

Anyway trainer was pleased and stated we were starting to look grown-up. I'll take it! Lots of turn on the forehand type work in the walk and trot to fill out the left side. In the trot just riding squares with one step of TOF to make it. Canter we did lots of broken lines and forward/back to refresh and pump up the shoulders. Really good stuff.

Feeling like I need to do another clip on her, possibly friday to give it grow-out time to look nice for Janet Foy clinic next week. Eek, we got times too, so that's becoming real. I did also sign up for the next weekend to ride with Jeremy Steinberg and am contemplating a schooling show the next day at a venue that does schooling and rated shows to prep her for next year. But might be burnt out by then, so playing it by ear for now.

Fall weather in full swing here in the Northeast and the colors are stunning.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:04 pm

Chisamba, is that the horse you said reminded you of Lynx? Forgive me if I'm confused on that matter. Regardless what beautiful pictures and sounds like quite the show!! Congratulations!

Blob, So glad you are deciding to go! I can't wait to hear about it.

Sue B, isn't it nice to take things from a clinic and be able to put them to use and have it go so well? Auditing is such a great tool.

Aleuronx, I can't wait to hear how both of your clinics go!!

Thank you all for the kind words on Lynx. Pretty proud of him.

I've been having some numbness on my right side. It happened after a airplane trip today too so I'm not sure if I can blame the saddle. Of course it's unfortunate timing. I will definitely go to the doctor as well... Back issues and such run in the family. I sure hope it's nothing serious. There isn't really any pain just an odd tingling. Bugger.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:17 am

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:Chisamba, is that the horse you said reminded you of Lynx? Forgive me if I'm confused on that matter. Regardless what beautiful pictures and sounds like quite the show!! Congratulations!

LSP I really did not plan it but I have 3 buckskin types. Saiph is am Oldenburg, so she is not the Lynx look alike.

Dun bo peep is like Lynx,, AQHA , in the R in picture. my other one is a quarter pony.

20210804_122625_240x320.jpg
20210804_122625_240x320.jpg (89.7 KiB) Viewed 15778 times

Return to “Dressage Training”