September - October goals and progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Lipsmackerpony88
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: September - October goals and progress

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:54 pm

I see, quite the collection you got :) all lovely in their own way.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:58 pm

Phew... week 1 of full training under my belt! Makes me realize that I'm pretty good at taking it easy when I ride on my own!

Emphasis for the next few weeks is just freely forward, through and in front of the leg, (I hadn't realized how bad that had got, and how much he can take advantage of the situation if he gets behind) mental and physical conditioning for the two of us.

Its so nice for both of us to be sharing the ring with quality, confident riders and horses actually having fun (and not whining and complaining the whole time,) and realizing that we can do that, too.

And a bonus, Melissa Creswick is coming in to teach a clinic in about 3 weeks. I've audited her a couple of times, and she's no pushover, but I also know she has a soft spot and a lot of knowledge about Arab Sporthorses, so that should be really helpful.

demi

Postby demi » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:03 am

I wish I could watch the Melissa Creswick clinic!! Hope to get a report!

khall

Postby khall » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:04 am

Well a very successful first show for Joplin! We hauled over just for the day she had just over an hour to settle in then i saddled her up and put her on the lunge for a short trot around. Joplin was a bit wide eyed and looking at the show atmosphere. Very busy with 3 arenas side by side for dressage show jumping and cross country and lots of people dogs strollers etc. This is only the second time I’ve hauled her off the farm to be ridden and she was stellar! Never has she seen a dressage arena or letters or judges box yet once she made it through the first test with just a small spook at a corner letter she went in the second test like she had been doing this all her life. She even got her first 10 for CL and halt! I’ve gotten a 9 before but never a10. Now we were just Intro to keep it chill for her but she acted much more like a seasoned show horse than Rip ever did! Lol!!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:20 pm

Congratulations khall, sounds like your methods have created quite the level headed gal and talented too!

khall

Postby khall » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:31 pm

Exvet it’s her breeding even more than any riding I’ve done. She’s just a good girl who wants the please and is not rattled by much. As for the 10 I’ll take it for sure but it was intro. Just nice to see a judge use the wide range of scores. Not something I’ve seen very much. For a schooling show I thought the judging was on mark for all 3 arenas. I have not always been able to say that for this venue. New owners though since I was last there. Very well run

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:42 pm

Well done Khall and Joplin! First show is a big milestone, great that it went so well.

Moutaineer, glad you are having a good time with Potters and your new barn mates. It is so easy to dial it back a notch or three when no one is looking. :)

Annabelle is continuing to do well. Riding in the double seems to be doing good things for her ideas about self-carriage, but yesterday we found a little rub behind her ear, so I'll have to tinker with the bridle. It is shaped and padded, but she is so thin-skinned, I might have to pony up for the titanium bits just for the weight factor. We are developing more suppleness with lots of changes through SI/CSI/Renvers/Travers and working on consistent quality of the walk per the Gary Rockwell clinic. There is a good thread on CotH about preparing for flying changes, so I've jotted down some notes that will be a big part of our winter work. Getting the jump in the canter, good CC and simple changes mostly. Another week and a half on the vet's timeline until she can go back to full work though, so I'm trying to be good and take it easy.

Tesla is still not 100% over her cough, but she's feeling fine and not snotty. Hopefully mid-week after the current set of rainstorms passes, we'll be able to get back at it. I bought her a Stubben Equi-Soft girth and we visited the saddle fitter and were advised to shim her right side, so I'm anxious to see if those tweaks, plus my new approach of not using my lower leg much, will result in a big step forward on the training.
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:12 pm

Mountaineer and Khall, glad things are going so well!! Great partnerships all around!

SF, sounds like some good work with Annebelle. Hope you get the bridle figured out. There is another quarter horse at my barn that is just now introducing the double as they are approaching third level. Pretty neat to watch.

Lynx has been fantastic. As I posted in my lead thread, he's a bit wiggly and because of that having a little bit of a harder time getting the right lead. But once we get it it usually only takes about two or three tries, he feels great. The trainer thinks it's just a baby phase right now he's probably growing and it's just figuring out a lot of different concepts that he's been introduced to lately. And that he's just taking things a little too literally when you use the leg. Other than that I feel like we had a couple light bulb moments this week and it's pretty exciting. I also just bought a saddle. Hopefully I made the right decision there but it's very resellable too.

They hosted the Youth clinic with George Williams at our barn this weekend so I was able to watch just a few rides this am. One was a little Andalusian. This lesson really was good for me as the horse wanted to really "leave" through the outside shoulder. So many times George emphasized the importance of the outside aids which has been a huge focus for me the last two weeks. I'm finally starting to see progress but it was really nice to be able to watch someone else do it.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:29 pm

I really appreciate the updates and clinic reports from all! Lots of good progress and inspiration in this group.

I've only gotten to audit Lilo Fore over the years, but I really like her teaching. She is just very, very clear to me. I've audited Jeremy Steinberg a lot, too, and also ridden with him some. He also makes a lot of sense to me and is clear. Both Lilo and Jeremy will make you work (not unfairly), as development is work and they show you the way to that development.

Best news I have on Emi is a new boarder saying, wow, she is fancy! To me that means we are getting a bit more power and balance in our gaits these days. We are about 11 months out from the suspensory injury now. Good canter work is still hard, but she can do it for a limited period of time. I'm still determined to not let her do work heavy on the forehand, in order to keep her front sound. I think we have shifted from about 80-100 transitions per ride to about 250!

blob

Postby blob » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:17 pm

great to see/read about everyone's progress as many of us head into colder weather and shorter days (sob!).

Congrats, Khall! Would love to see pictures. Were you at Poplar?

After a really productive summer of work, MM fell a bit to the back burner (mostly because of things getting busy at work) in September and October, so i've been trying to get us back to where we were and right now I just feel like a sloppy inefficient rider, so I am saving us from myself by doing some lunging/long-lining work with her and making myself do some position/accuracy work on board (resistance bands and simple transitions). While using the bands the other day after awhile I noticed that my right shoulder was really hurting even with the lightest band--which is telling to me that I have been doing something wonky with it and it makes sense since both my horses have not been filling out the right rein like they usually do. So, I'm going to make myself work with the bands a bit every ride until i can realign myself.

RP and I are working to get ready for nationals. Mostly, i am just working on more suppleness through the shoulders with him and getting a crisper transitions. Right now when he gets looser in the shoulder, he also wants to get lower in his frame, so working on letting him loosen up AND lift up. I'm not too worried about it in the long term because it feels very much like a strength thing--so we soldier on.

I am debating whether I need to clip him for nationals or not. I know most horses will be clipped, but he does not have very much coat and clipping him will be more of an ordeal than I'd like (esp in the long run, since they do not blanket at my barn other than for rain). I'm wondering if I can get away with trimming up longer fuzzies and edges (legs, throatlatch, elbows etc) to make him appear tidy even if he's not really fully clipped.
Last edited by blob on Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:18 pm

Woohoo Khall! A 10 is a 10 no matter what show or test. Congrats on the good experience.

Kudos to your progress with Emi, I know rehab can be so slow and tedious at times. It's nice to hear that external validation from others that things are looking swill.

Blob if you aren't planning on clipping RP for winter generally then I wouldn't bother just for nationals. If you are due to be in the outdoor rings it can be COLD at the horsepark. From my friends experiences and watching the livestream there are lots of unclipped fuzzy ponies or variation of trace clips as well. You'll look smashing no matter what!

Had a lovely weekend of rides. Put a little bit of pressure on to see how Kora will handle our upcoming clinics and she did well. I can sit the trot and breathe so I'm as prepared as I'll ever be!! We're up for a full weeks of rainy cold weather so I'm not looking forward to seeing the 4 walls of the indoor again.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:07 pm

blob wrote:I am debating whether I need to clip him for nationals or not. I know most horses will be clipped, but he does not have very much coat and clipping him will be more of an ordeal than I'd like (esp in the long run, since they do not blanket at my barn other than for rain). I'm wondering if I can get away with trimming up longer fuzzies and edges (legs, throatlatch, elbows etc) to make him appear tidy even if he's not really fully clipped.

I had to clip three, that is THREE, times already this year. The horses knew we are having an actual winter. (Thankfully! We went from hot and dry to more rainfall in one day than we had all last year.) I never do a full body clip because it is too hard. But I do have to clip or they get disgusting because they will sweat and you can never get that clean. It doesn't ever get that cold here. (We start complaining in the 50's and whine about anything in the 40's.) I do their bodies and necks and blanket them. Once I blanket them, they don't come off until they are permanently off in the spring. I just change blanket heaviness. They were clipped twice before championships and look fine in all of the pictures.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:22 pm

Aleuronx--that is good to hear!! I think i will go ahead and do a good clean up and leave him unclipped.

Tanga--I totally get that. I don't usually clip for the winter because here we have such dramatic changes in weather between high and low (often 30-40 degrees) and it's just too hard to do the blanket dance of finding the right level at the right time or taking it off and putting it on and the barn just isn't set up for someone to be doing a blanket change or take off 2-3 times a day and i live too far to do it myself. So, instead I opt to leave mine full coat and naked (other than rain) so that they can self regulate themselves. It never really gets so cold that they would need a blanket on top of their coat as long as I don't clip. So the best horse care option for me is to not clip and let them do as nature intended! Thankfully neither of mine have other health conditions or issues that make temperature management an issue, nor do they get excessively sweaty in the winter. Well...right now MM is a bit excessively sweaty because she is FULL BEAR FUZZ and it's still 77 degrees.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:11 pm

I have ultra light. light, medium and heavy sheets/ blankets. depending on the horse as soon as they get a slightly dense coat, on go the covers, because I would rather they had light coats under their cover than clip. but I'm with Tanga. sweaty horses and ages to dry just make for uncomfortable horses here.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:38 pm

Lol Tanga, I'm on my 2nd clip as well. I just do neck/chest as Kora lives outside like a feral. That gets us enough airflow to not sweat horrifically and minimizes how naked she is in terms of blanketing. Like you Chisamba being in the northeast side I have a full complement of blanket options. Kora is happily not a super cold sensitive type so does fine with this management.

Blob you'll be just fine all shined and smartened up!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:22 pm

I do a full clip as my horse is very furry even though we get real winter from Oct- April. My horse also gets a neckcover and comes in by 5pm. Also, the stall and arenas are all heated so it just makes sense. I've also had boarding situations where I never clipped, did a trace clip, etc. I was always so hesitant to do a full clip but I wish I would have done it years ago. I'm also super religious about keeping turnouts waterproof and in good repair.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:08 pm

So glad that the changing weather and seasons are bringing great opportunities and progress for so many here.

I was going to give Junior his second body clip on Sunday but after the previous week of family, guests and my son's wedding on Saturday I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I'll be body clipping him this coming weekend since the show is the following and he's been actually lathering up on our trail rides. I have the championships in three weeks and it can still get very warm during the days here. I simply keep a full wardrobe for my pony to try to keep him as comfortable as possible throughout the winter if we're competing.

On another note, I spent what little spare time I had last week alternating between lunging Junior with the side reins adjusted so that he had to canter forward into the right rein and jumping him through a chute (without side reins of course). He's got gorgeous form over fences just like his sire. I think it's helping both his strength, stretch over the top line and realizing that he can't escape the right rein. Now to that end, I had a ride on Sunday that was a bit of a come to Jesus ride/moment. I took a page from Lilo Fore and simply decided that I was going to maintain the right rein and demand canter transitions that were straight, on the bit (not braced in any way) and forward. There were many long stand offs of his refusal to accept the conditions but we finally repeated several truly light, on the bit, straight, up and open transitions. He got last night off because I had to stay late at work; but, hopefully our next ride will show some improvement with not quite so much ponytude.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:03 am

Whew...I totally lost my DD account. Between my ancient iMac that is too old and my iPad and Chromebook...I couldn't get on the BB on any of them so I just re-did my account.

Everyone has been so busy. I'm busy...just not with riding. I am going to change boarding barns next week. I have been cheap and boarding at a mostly self-care barn for years and years but you know...I am 66 and the horse is 19 and I feel like the clock is ticking. I don't know how much more of crap I can shovel then end up not having time to ride. Having my Mom here does limit my horse time. I have been horse crazy from the get-go but here we are 66 years later and she still doesn't get "it" :lol: . So, I am moving her to a full service barn. It is closer although depending on traffic may not save me a lot of road time but on off hours and weekends it cuts about 10 minutes off my current one way drive. She won't have as much movement...she will have a stall with attached approx 30 ft run but if I don't have to dig 2 days worth of manure out of the mud or frozen ruts in the winter, that should free up about 30-45 minutes/trip. The place was really clean. They actually work the arena 6 days/week! I don't know what I am going to do. The arenas where I am now haven't been worked in 3 weeks :( . There is no indoor BUT, she salts them (they have 3) and for most of our winter, that should work just fine. If it is cold enough to freeze them, I won't be riding anyway ;) having developed into a bonafide weather weenie. They do have some dry lot turn out available and right across the road is trail access with hills. Maybe come Spring, I can get her into trail riding and change her from being an arena flower. To give my 30 day notice at the old barn, I had to pay for November and the BO said she would hold her current pen for a couple weeks so that if things happen to go very wrong or she won't settle, we can return and go back to the drawing board again. I don't anticipate that but want to cover my bases. She has been at the current barn for 17 of her 19 years but she is pretty mellow lately and I think she will adjust. I have been so frustrated with the footing at the current barn forever and it isn't going to get any better so I will try something else. I was really quite surprised they had a spot but she has someone leaving Nov 1 so I guess I hit it at the right time.

In the meantime, we got hit with the edges of the west coast bomb cyclone and had 1.34 inches of rain. We certainly need it but that again kind of foiled riding. I did get her in the round pen a couple times last week so she at least got some exercise. Saturday, she got her body work. Man, she loves her body worker. I told Katrina she knew she was coming and that she liked her. She asked how I knew that. Well, it rained Friday night and I hustled out early to get her cleaned up thinking she would be plastered with mud. She was spotless :mrgreen: . Today, I let her get the kinks out in the indoor and did some ground work with lateral work and her SW work. So, we are at least communicating and working. The indoor is way too dusty to ride and the outdoor is no go with all the rain so what can you do? I also have been looking at all the crap I have to move. I am going to have to thin down my junk considerably.

I will probably do a bib clip on her and blanket her with a lighter blanket to keep grooming time down. Being in a smaller area, no doubt she will have poop stains. I actually found a blanket on clearance (at this time of year?!) so if it isn't cleanable by Spring, oh well. She cools so much faster with her neck/chest clipped.

Susan

I

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:14 pm

delete
Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:13 pm

Kyra's mom, I hope the new move goes well. It's nice that you're able to have a back up plan if it doesn't work out.
I totally understand the footing frustrations as it was similar at a previous barn I was at for a few years.

Ryeissa, So glad to hear from you and glad things are going well!!!

All this talk about clipping is making me think... So far I wasn't planning on doing a clip or if we do it but just be like a bib clip. He lives outside in a 30 ft long pen with a small shed. But the sheds are all connected so not as cozy as others. He also doesn't grow a huge winter coat from what I've seen. I guess I will see how the rest of the month goes. So far I don't think he's working hard enough to justify clipping yet. He gets a lot of walk breaks.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:55 pm

Wow, Susan, Congratulations! I am so excited for you to finally be in a full-care barn with rideable arenas. How cool is that :mrgreen:

No riding lately. I could've ridden Tio a couple of days but I decided to work on cleaning up outdoors before the storm hit. Turned out to be worth the effort. Also, Rudy some how injured his right eye pretty badly, so jingles he hasn't lost vision on that side. All I know is he called to me Friday morning when I was out walking the dogs (why do my horses holler for me when they are injured?) so I checked on him. He did not want to open his right eye and tears were streaming down that side of his face. I went to the clinic, gathered up supplies and worked on him that afternoon. A half bottle of proparicaine later, finally got him to open his eye. Thankfully, no corneal damage, but unthankfully, the anterior chamber was filled with blood and fibrin (hyphema & hypopion). He must have really wacked it or something. I still haven't figured out what happened. Took several days before I could see into the eye and verify his pupil still works, albeit sluggishly. Yesterday was the first day he was comfortable without a face mask. This morning he's almost his cheeky self again, but I don't imagine I'll be able to ride him for at least a few more days as the anterior chamber is still a little cloudy. :(

According to my rain gage we got 2.25" of rain btw. It rained nonstop for about 36 hours.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:26 pm

Sue B wrote:
According to my rain gage we got 2.25" of rain btw. It rained nonstop for about 36 hours.

Yes…since we only get 12-13 inches per year it is so weird to get that much in a day and a half. Jingles that Rudy’s eye continues to clear up.clears up. Kyra did something like that last fall. Not as bad but she sure whacked it good. Luckily the vet was already coming for her Legend shot so it got checked pretty quickly. Usually they do something like that AFTER the vet has gone. Of course, your horses are lucky to have one in house 8-) .

Susa

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:07 pm

In my area we got between 5 and 15 inches in ONE day on Sunday. That's what we got all last year. It was amazing. We desperately needed it and you can see the landscape just sucking up the water. There are five normally year round ponds at the barn which have been bone dry since May. They're all about half full from one day and the ducks showed up right away. It's been mild (60's) and it;'s SO nice to see clean, blue sky instead of a version of brown haze.

I am going to do one last show on Sunday to get my bearings back and really, really, really work on my position and staying super still and not interfering with the horses.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:56 pm

Yikes, Sue B... jingles for Rudy's eye. That's always scary.

Oh, the rain--we got pretty well dumped on, but nowhere near as much as you Idahodians! (or you Californians!) I'm not complaining, and it fell as snow in the mountains, which is great for our water situation, which has been dire this year. However, there is mud... I popped in to see Laddie as I was in the area this morning and they got inundated. They also have multiple truckloads of gravel on the way to help resolve the drainage situation, so at least they are on top of it.

A lot of us have been on the barn move recently it seems. I hope it works out well for you, Susan!

It's so completely fabulous to have really good, well maintained footing that is right for the job. (I started typing "it's such a luxury to have good footing," but it really isn't a luxury, it's a necessity, especially given the price of board, but seems to be a rarity nowadays.) Loving my new barn for many reasons, but that is one of the primary ones. Potters is so much happier and moving so much better for it.

Rye, glad you are back at it. It's what we do, after all, and there is a hole in our lives without it.

It's been a one-ride week for me so far. That awkward work stuff that just gets in the way of having fun. But I have a lesson tomorrow, I hope--trainer has been under the weather so I've been riding on my own, working on my homework, for the last couple of rides. Monday, I had to share the ring with someone lunging, which I haven't done in years. I was a lot more tense about it than Potters! I'm having to learn to not be so uptight about what other people, and their dogs, cats and children, are doing while I'm riding!

Good luck at your show, Tanga. I'm having to learn to sit still and not micromanage, and it's hard.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:48 pm

Just wanted to pop on here to say yay Ryeissa!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:14 pm

Aleuronx wrote:Just wanted to pop on here to say yay Ryeissa!

awww shucks, I'm famous.... :lol:

thanks guys. It feels great to be back at it....I'm pretty much feeling like I can do a good 45 mins walk/trot dressage session and I'm riding 3x a week so far. My friend is still helping ride a few days a week as well. My horse hasn't missed a beat and although I am keeping the work fairly simple, the buttons are there.

How long should I expect to take to get him back to second level fit? Keep in mind my friend has been riding him since July so he's overall at a good level of fitness. This is more about muscle fitness.

On a health note, I am trying Ukele Absorb All for winter fecal water syndrome (FWS) so hopefully no diahrrea this year. It's been so much better at this barn, but he's had it every winter since 2011 that i have had him. I have a vet friend to keep working with as needed.

Otherwise for 17 he's doing amazing and I wish he had a wee bit LESS energy. :roll:

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:25 am

Ugh, Sue. Please keep us posted on Rudy's eye. He is in good hands but I know you/we worry!

Susan, I'm so glad you have a nice option lined up for you and Kyra, plus a back-up if needed. Honestly, with my 19 yr old Emi (who still works 5x/week), I feel like a great barn is totally a reasonable choice for her. She thrives off TLC and good management :-D I have been checking on a friend's horse this past week (while she travels) and honestly her horse (Spanish Norman) is so low care and so easy compared to mine. Emi hurts herself if she isn't attended to very specifically. My friend's horse does not! lol

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:29 am

Ryeissa, please keep.me posted on your success or failure with ukulele Ansorb All. I have a boarder whose horse has with FWS and I'd you have success if like to share the info with her.

we didn't have a bomb cyclone but we did have a Nor'easter. I posted a vid of the flash flood in Facebook. I had horses in the wrong side of the water and had to wade through and get them because they were panicked. it wasn't deep enough to be dangerous, just cold and wet and sometimes silly horses don't like crossing water so there was that. we only got 5 inches but most of it came in a 15 to 16 hour period. it does make horse care more complicated and the after mud sucks lol.

I find managing the footing in my indoor to be a daily problem. not too wet, because it packs, not too dry because it's dusty, and my goodness leveling the berms caused by rail riding and circling is constant.

my landowner takes care of the manure pile ( he sells it for composting ) but he hasn't moved it since covid, so we had that discussion today. I try to be nice but I told him if he failed get it moved I would pay to have it done and deduct it from the rent. He is a nice older gentleman who still wants to do everything his way.

today I was helping him hook up the 3 point auger to dig some new post holes. he was fighting to get it on but the tractor was at the wrong angle. I told him you won't get that hooked because it's pushing against the wheel. he looked and said pull the auger that way. I said ( curse word) no. move the tractor. I mean seriously . it would be like backing up to hitch a horse trailer and trying to.move the trailer instead of backing up again. sigh.

there is so much more to maintaining horses than just horse care. those of you looking at boarding, arena maintenance, fence maintenance, grounds maintenance and barn maintenance are exhausting endless thankless hours of work. your boarders don't even notice good care, they only notice something not taken care of.

" oh I see my horse didn't get his special brand shaving today " ( well your brand is unavailable. if you can find your brand please let me know where, so either its this or nothing, what would you prefer? )
My horse has a checkered sheet and he is wearing someone's old blue thing " ( your checkered sheet was not water proof and your horse was shivering so I loaned him a spare. but I was dealing with flood waters, getting did and hay through the waters to the horses in the other side, and cold wet horses so I'm sorry I didn't time to update you on your checkered sheets lack of waterproofing).

yes of course people prefer to be, and should be, updated on changes. but as a horse care business owner. sometimes a big problem overwhelms smaller matters of communication. now injuries etc, immediate communication, but switching a sheet, putting large flake instead of small flake shavings in a stall that was flooded and had to be stripped, ( where allergies etc are not an issue, it's just preference) this is the type of thing people notice, and they do not comment on how you managed to get hay to every horse, no one is cold and wet. and every stall us clean and dry despite raging storms, flash flood and there being no one at the barn doing it except me.

then you also get the horse owners who arrive at eight in the morning, out in water boots and raincoat and say " what can I help with " those humans restore faith in humanity. lol.

many of you care for your own horses and do know that there is more to it. but those of you that board, I would choose a facility managed by people whose goals most closely mesh with your own, because ultimately it is that standard that they will apply to your horse when things are for any reason abnormally difficult. (weather, staffing, supply chain problems or whatever)

boring and not related to training, my apologies.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:48 am

Chisamba I always laugh when a boarder says they want their own place so they can ride more! Geeze the upkeep and time taken to maintain a farm and care for the horses is extremely consuming of ones life.

This week has been a bust to get anything done much riding wise. Farrier Monday vet for chiro/teeth Tuesday and Wednesday was shopping with mom. Today rain. Tomorrow landscaper to work around the house and arena footing

Glad you are back at it Rye.
Hope the moves are smooth for all! Jingles for Rudy’s eye SueB!!

Hope everyone can have a spell of nice fall weather for a bit. I’ve got a WE clinic in just over a week and Cedar comes back for final 2021 clinic in 3 weeks

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:52 pm

khall wrote:Chisamba I always laugh when a boarder says they want their own place so they can ride more! Geeze the upkeep and time taken to maintain a farm and care for the horses is extremely consuming of ones life.

Yeah, whenever people ask me if I want to get my own property, my answer is: nearly everyone I know who has their own horse property never has time to ride. In a perfect world I'll find an acre or two next door to a nice boarding facility. Just space to keep a retiree or a youngster at home if needed, but I know that maintaining multiple horses and an arena, etc. is way too much (and my spouse is not interested in farm work).

Hoping to start riding Tesla again today or tomorrow. The horses have been in waiting for the pastures to dry out a bit after what amounts to a big rain storm for us. After nearly three weeks off, no plans to climb aboard until she gets to burn off her sillies, so I'd say this 2-months is done and finished for her without much to show for it.

Annabelle continues to do well. The vet advised 3 weeks to work up to "going back to dressage." The BO and I mused on what that actually means, but since the injury was to her front leg, I've been giving her fairly solid workouts aimed at using the hind end and just avoiding lengthenings and voltes. That seems better than bumming around crooked and on the forehand. I've had a couple lightbulb moments my last two rides, which I think I can credit to having to focus on the fewer options to work with. First was realizing more fully how her RH is slow to come up off the ground, so I've started focusing more on little nudges/whip taps on the right to get her snappier with that leg, while maintaining connection to the left rein. She immediately got softer and straighter there. Getting that RH better in place, yesterday I was able to experiment with a sort of diagonal HH through my body, so sort of a stretch up through my left front ribs and taking the weight back more to my right lumbar, and vice-versa, and finally felt like I was able to influence a little more the folding of the hind legs and really maintaining connection. So I think that wraps it up for us for this period. It's time to strap in winter!
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:05 pm

Yes, there is more to keeping horses than just the horse-care and riding. I obviously 'get it'. I also will be the first to raise my hand and say, 'Ya know taking care of 3 on a daily basis on a 1.25 acre property is sooooooooooo much easier than taking care of 14 on a 5-acre property even though I had so much more at my disposal on the larger place. Through it all, like most of you, I've worked full-time and dealt with the complexities of life that are ever changing and I still find time to ride. I guess my point is that [for me] I think it's still so much better to keep horses at home. If I didn't/couldn't I know I wouldn't manage to get anywhere near as much riding in as I do with my enduring determination to do just that. I can tell you that given my current schedule and hours to work, adding an extra day of training to Junior's schedule would simply not be possible if I didn't have him at home. Monday night I had to stay late due to personnel issues that our practice manager wasn't handling and I was forced to......Tuesday night I got out a little late but not too bad. Got home at 7, changed clothes and walked out to turn on the arena lights and lunged Junior.....then Wednesday night another late night drama session with me getting home closer to 9. Still I was able to add to my dedicated 4 day riding schedule which is better than nothing. My neighbors are up riding well past 10 pm so if I had the wherewithal that I used to have I could probably fit in one more day (would have been Monday night). Not having to put in drive time is key for me as is the ability to not have to engage with other human beings while I focus on my horse(s).

So I laugh when people claim that keeping horses at home results in no ride time. It's all in how you manage your place and your time, how you make and juggle those priorities, and in the end accept that it's a passion worth the sacrifices made <period>. To that end, [some] boarders do and should be more cognizant of what horse-care really means and appreciate that what they get for their money contains sooooooo many 'hidden' intangibles in most cases.

On another note for those of us getting up in years and acknowledging that taking care of a horse property and horses is hard work. It's not for the faint of heart or feeble body. As my aches and pains increase, I do realize that one day I will no longer be able to do all of this..........that's when I fear my mental health will end up in a declining spiral. Gosh I do hope I go with my boots on, I have a trust set up and explicit instructions on what to do with who's left if that opportunity arises. Cutting back has been necessary. Asking for help from my very strong and tall son occasionally has also been necessary; but, I hope that at 58 the end isn't near yet. I am being forced to realize, however, that the sweat shop that corporate medicine has become and an active horse life might not be possible to juggle for much longer. Though, I am still financially responsible for others; so, I keep digging deep down to find more and coming home to my one peace of mind - my horse property with my understanding critters who greet me gleefully every night. Even if I didn't get to ride as much as I do......just having those faces staring at me the moment they realize I'm home is worth it.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:23 pm

Still keeping up with all y’all’s progress and enjoying the reports. Glad Rye is back in the saddle. Looking forward to the championship reports and wishing safe trips for everyone going.

I’m riding regularly but my slow progress is getting even slower because of age. I am encouraged when I read about everyone young and old that keep doing this dressage thing in spite of all the issues that we deal with in this day and age.

I tripped on the edge of a rubber mat in the aisle almost two weeks ago and think I broke a rib or two. Ive had more broken bones, including ribs, over the years than i care to count, so I know what it feels like. Still able to ride but very carefully. Then I was trying to coop up a recalcitrant chicken the other night and when I swung around to quickly block her, I banged my forehead on the coop door. I have a huge bump right where my helmet sits :roll:

Reading Chisamba’s post about running a stable rang true. I have had boarders in the past and even people who are close personal friends can be a real PITA. Even now with only my own three I still have to deal with all the maintenance and routine care. I sold our big John Deere right before Covid and now hire a guy to do the big shredding jobs that DH and I used to do. I still have a little JD with a 4 foot shredder(bush hog) and a belly mower for the smaller pastures that I still mow myself. I totally get how hard it can be to change implements. There is usually a lot of cussin’ involved. I also recently got an attachment so I could use my 42 inch blade and 84 lb. chain harrow without having to lift them by hand. What an energy saver that turned out to be!

We’ve had company all week and among other things I just dont have any spare time, although if I manage to ride today I’ll have gotten 4 rides in this week! I really want to get back into posting vids and writing about where I am with Rocky these days. I have decided to force myself back into a regular workout routine to try to minimize the effects of aging. Had to order a RCA to HDMI converter so I can play my workout vids again. That should arrive today. I take the company to the airport tomorrow at the butt crack of dawn, so am planning on my first workout tomorrow afternoon. :D :roll: 8-) :D

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:42 pm

We all make our life choices.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:25 pm

Rye, I am so happy for you that you have regained your riding joy!

I love having my horses at home but I am sometimes envious of those who board their horses; especially when I visit one of the nicer barns in the Boise area. My horses are on pasture 24/7 so no stall care or barn care, just fencing and pasture care. We had originally planned to build a small barn and paddocks, but my guys seem very happy without that stuff. I do have a paddock with shelter in the pasture for those times one might need to be confined and we'll be building another shelter/paddock area soon. I used to try confining whatever horse I was showing, but that resulted in bent and broken panels--not worth it. I also used to board at a barn with an indoor, whatever horse was in need of full work through the winter. I supplied hay and grain, but it was often fed to the owner's horses--a little annoying but they did take very good care of their indoor and never neglected the horses, so I guess it was worth it. I have friends who also keep their horses at home. One doesn't have an indoor or even a good outdoor arena(she trailers to mine when preparing for show season), but she grows her own hay and maintains nice paddocks with shelters for her herd and has a very nice pole barn with tack room where she can tack up, wash etc. The other lady has a full dressage court outside and a smaller indoor. She too keeps her horses in sheltered paddocks and has a small pasture they can stretch their legs in. She has hired help, however, for grounds maintenance and horse care...and sometimes she allows friends to board a horse or two. I often think that eventually I'll wind up boarding and living in some little town horse or tiny house, but who knows.

On the Rudy front, the eye continues to heal and is now just slightly cloudier than the other one. I'm still not sure if it's fully visual, but at least it is no longer painful.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:28 pm

Exvet i did not say no ride time but definitely don’t ride more with horses at home. I think it also depends on ones facility and the part of the country one resides in. SE is way different than SW. Grass here from April-October to cut and maintain. Also means I’m juggling my easy keepers. I’m pretty sure it was the fall sugars in the grass that got Gallie

I’m lucky my DH likes farm work for the most part but I’m also cognizant of the fact I need to spend time with DH as well. So yes we all make choices in our lives. I do know one thing there is always a long list to do around the farm!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:35 pm

Chisamba wrote:Ryeissa, please keep.me posted on your success or failure with ukulele Ansorb All. I have a boarder whose horse has with FWS and I'd you have success if like to share the info with her.

sure thing! So far my horse eats it just fine and it's more cost effective than some supplements. I'd say it's midrange for digestive supplements ovearall for cost. If I just needed probiotics I would choose something else. Ukele was super to deal with as a company, so A+ for the service!
Also, I do not need an ulcer product, so U7 et all didn't work last year. This is just for FWS

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:37 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Rye, glad you are back at it. It's what we do, after all, and there is a hole in our lives without it.

the weird thing I was so sick I didn't miss it. Once I felt healthier I started to miss it. I just DID NOT WANT TO RIDE or see my horse.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:39 pm

Chisamba wrote:many of you care for your own horses and do know that there is more to it. but those of you that board, I would choose a facility managed by people whose goals most closely mesh with your own, because ultimately it is that standard that they will apply to your horse when things are for any reason abnormally difficult. (weather, staffing, supply chain problems or whatever)

boring and not related to training, my apologies.

not boring- very important things-I totally get this.....

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:12 pm

khall wrote:Exvet i did not say no ride time but definitely don’t ride more with horses at home. I think it also depends on ones facility and the part of the country one resides in. SE is way different than SW. Grass here from April-October to cut and maintain. Also means I’m juggling my easy keepers. I’m pretty sure it was the fall sugars in the grass that got Gallie

I’m lucky my DH likes farm work for the most part but I’m also cognizant of the fact I need to spend time with DH as well. So yes we all make choices in our lives. I do know one thing there is always a long list to do around the farm!

I grew up in North Carolina. I also used to live and work in Ellijay, GA and had horses; so, I'm very aware of the differences of the two coasts. Prior to moving to AZ, I had a 40 acre horse farm in Missouri where I did all the field work by myself and is where I started my welsh cob breeding program. Again though I do not miss it, I am very familiar with the workload that lush pastures bring. I am also familiar with the challenges of easy keepers. I had a dry lot for my laminitis-prone ones. It was nice though not to have to maintain a constant supply of hay which I did not have to do there to the degree here (made my own for winter months and often had enough year round for those easy keepers). I also did not have to feed 4 times a day because mine were out on pasture 24 x 7. Those on dry lot were provided their hay in slow feeders twice a day. I also didn't have to worry with quite so much diligence on providing clean water - ie, the maintenance of waterers here I find to be far more demanding. There are trade offs for sure. During those earlier years, I would ride at night by car headlights until I had lights installed in my outdoor all weather arena or haul to my friend's indoor. I was also known to brush hog the pastures at night using the tractor headlights after the kids were put to bed. Maybe no one else finds it true in their situation but I do ride more having the horses at home whether it was in more temperate climates or here. Facilities, I will agree, make a huge difference on the ease/efficiency with which it can all be done.

Maybe the perceived difference for me is it's just too demanding to drive anywhere ............... I've been driving since I was 8 years old, hauling since I was 14.........the joys of growing up in agriculture. I haul out to lessons but that being said, I can just saddle up and ride out my backdoor after getting up at 4:30 am to feed, do chores including tending to all my landscaping or coming home from work, feeding and waiting the necessary time to tack up and work a horse. I do laundry and other house type chores late at night.............seems to work for me.

Having horses in general can wear anyone out; but, I am grateful I can still find the joy in it. I'm not sure I would be able to maintain my sanity if I didn't have my riding and horses to turn to after the dealings at work or with certain aspects of family.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:01 pm

For me I could see boarding that I would ride more. Maybe it is just me but there are always those jobs hanging over my head to get done that is distracting. Boarding I could go and just ride/tend to my horses. I just know when I haul off to clinic etc where I can just concentrate on my horse and riding is a way different feel than riding at home. But I bow down to your work ethic. I obviously do not have the drive you do to ride and keep up with all the farm chores as well as family obligations and ride more.

I am thankful for my farm to live on acreage and be able to have my parents and now just my mom here to keep an eye on. It also means I can host clinics of my choice with who I want to. I would probably be a terrible boarder as well! So it is just as well I live on my farm.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:11 pm

My opinion is we all have to make time to ride. Whether we keep them home or whether we board. I have done both. I used to board and I would ride at 4 am. No one would see the work I was doing, then I'd have a weekend where I would ride and the barn owner would see me having done month long increments of training inbetween and thought I had the easiest horse ever. I guess she just magically trusting herself while everyone slept. hahaha.

now I work 10 hour shifts 4 nights a week and come directly to the barn. I have 5 client horses to ride, so if I am going to ride my own horses, that is eight. eight horses after ab10 hour shift is not a piece of cake. So sometimes I have to really force myself. once I am on, it's cake, but contemplating it can take self discipline. especially now that my barn help joined the army and I'm having difficulty replacing her.

My point is riding is both a joy and a commitment. I think boarders might struggle to get in the car and drive to the barn after a long day at work, and I think people who have to clean, feed, maintain at home might have to have a bit of self discipline to get on and ride.

As Moutaineer said, it's individual. we do what works for us.

probably I'd you haven't tried both , the grass may always look greener on the other side of the fence

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:15 pm

Chisamba wrote:

probably I'd you haven't tried both , the grass may always look greener on the other side of the fence

Chisamba, I agree with you 110%. I did board and in no way think it looks greener on the other side LOL. I've also boarded others at my place and that did not work out well at all with the exception of when I was boarding rehabs ONLY. What was 'nice' about that was that I rarely if ever dealt with the owners; but when I did they seemed to have more respect for my time and what I did. I'm sure it was only because I'm a veterinarian; so, they felt like they got more bang for the buck I suppose. Even that had to come to an end because I only had so much time and preferred to spend it on my horses instead of those who belong to others.

khall I am in no way asking anyone to bow down to me ......seems an odd statement to make. I do have a strong work ethic which I chock up to growing up on a farm that was operating 24/7 (typical of any dairy farm) with parents who were both Air Force officers. Being asked to the polish shoes for either was considered a privilege LOL. Quite frankly I think Chisamba has me beat, not that it's any type of contest. I think many of us who have horses regardless of how we keep them simply burn the candle at both ends especially if we're dedicated (to all of it). We all have a breaking point too. I've come close to mine a few times; but, somehow seem to find an open door, often when and where I least expect it. I always have and continue to consider myself very, very lucky and am grateful. I simply don't want to waste a minute, not a single one.

But since this is a training forum and focused on goals.......I think it's that focus on specific goals that helps me keep all the balls (or at least most of them) up in the air. Today I lunged Junior over jumps before getting on to ride. He sincerely has the best form over fences of any of my horses past or present. I then rode focusing on proper balance in all three gaits, especially the collected, medium and counter canters. I really honed in on keeping the hind end stepping through and the shoulders straight, nothing else (ThanK YOU Chisamba!), and my transitions were spot on with little to no bracing - quite a step forward for us. I then rode Brandon with the same idea but at a level of work appropriate for him. He's catching on a bit more quickly than Junior did but also isn't the natural power house that Junior is either. His strides are naturally longer as well as his conformation which seems to translate into an easier time for me to feel, react with the correct timing and get the right response. Brandon's accomplishment today was that steering is required and okay at the canter LOL. He's starting to accept the bit and contact finally. I lunged Ace and worked on his trot-canter-trot transitions. He's so baroque it's a shame he dislikes dressage. I was surprised that I was able to convince him that expending his energy in such a way was worthy of the effort LOL. He's a beauty when he's moving. Now to plan on what to accomplish tomorrow while doing my housework.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:21 pm

Sometimes I think about boarding at a place with an indoor. It could be reasonable when we’re down to two. The old rescue gelding is in his late 20’s we think.

And I’ve thought about putting either Rocky or Emma into full training. But either scenario has it’s problems. Like Kyra’s mom, I’ve spent hours running through all the possible scenarios in my head.
I agree it’s a choice and either way, there are lots of pros and cons. In the end, I’m just thankful that I have options!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:29 pm

:D exvet, jumping my Kea is what got her truly collected. because she had good form. jumping Kimba does not help because she has that gallop over the jump flarwith hanging knees form.

I did ride. everyone in an AP saddle today and did poles and hills. there is another storm coming tonight so I thought I would take advantage of the clear skies to do hills. it was both enjoyable and went well. I ride the hills in a contact but less collected, in other words a more open posture. most of them rode nicely in contact except for when the wind whipped the large Trump banners on the neighbors back fence. that seemed to add a bit of animation. :D :D

no competition from me, anyone who takes care of family. animals and a job always has to much to do and to little time to do it . I really want to hire a reliable hand and to be able to step back a little.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:34 pm

Chisamba when do you sleep? I did that working 10 hour days and having farm, boarders riding. It was not good for my marriage and desire to have a family. Kind of hard to get pregnant when you are too tired to have sex! I know riding is a commitment and it’s one I’ve given up various times in my life. Pregnancy and building our farm (18 months off the horses while building)

I actually did board the first 5 years I owned horses. It was a self care facility so a bit different but still required commuting. I just feel like Exvet at some point the facility care will be too much. At least with the size of farm we have now. Over 40 acres 17 of those in hay fields. Of course if I ever do get my covered arena you will have to run me off with a shot gun!

Mark’s wife sold out this year their farm. She’s boarding her two horses now. Was just too much upkeep by herself

Interesting discussion re boarding etc. on training:

I’m struggling a bit with Gaila getting a bit braced in the neck when doing lateral work. Not something I’m used to. I wonder if it’s that new found power causing the issue

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:49 pm

So I finally had time to load the professional pictures I got from the Lilo Clinic. If the videos weren't proof enough.....here you go :)

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... d_Lilo.jpg

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... Clinic.jpg

I have a similar picture of Pro A Resolute, Junior's sire, same phase of canter from the Hilda Gurney USDF Adult Symposium that was held here years ago. I'm going to have them framed side by side. Junior doesn't have the bling and flash of his sire but he's definitely got everything else.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:11 am

I love the photos, Exvet! That was a great clinic/learning adventure.

Back to the barn topic, I will share why I love my boarding barn and why it is expensive ;-) My mare has PSSM and is very cold sensitive. In part because of this, I don't clip her. But our staff remembers that and blankets/sheets her like a clipped horse on our first chilly wet 45-50 F day (and therefore she is very happy and content).

Yes, I could keep her at home (small 20 acres) but I work way too much and appreciate the care and facilities of a 200 acre farm with awesome management. If that were not an option, I would reconsider.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:29 am

I grew up on a small farm in the Midwest as a teen. Of course I didn't do everything at that time but I did have to wake up early to feed and turn out before school, clean stalls after school, stack hay, bush hog the pasture and such.

Later on we boarded when we moved to Colorado but then I moved back as young adult to the Midwest to work for a former trainer at her feed store and boarding/breeding operation.

Then on and off in my twenties I was a working student and did a lot of the care for many. I also took care of 9 Saddlebreds for a few years.

So I definitely have some appreciation of the work it takes. Certainly not as much as owning a farm as an adult though. I do try to be a good boarder because I know how it is! It's tough because since I've cared for my own (and others) I am picky about the level of care. But I try to do as much myself as possible and be easy going. Like if I thought my horses water needed to be cleaned more (just a random example) I would offer to help clean it. I also try to tell barn owners and staff thank you, weekly! I try leave baked goods for them too, especially in the winter!! Because I've been there for honestly most of my life pushing the wheelbarrow so I totally understand.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:45 am

Day one at the Janet Foy clinic yesterday quick update: it was fantastic! Janet was spot on to our struggles, right hind and hind legs overpowering the front in the canter. She was super complementary of our basics :o I was very pleasantly surprised that she separated the judging from the training, we talked during canter exercises about not kicking her forward and letting her make the mistakes as it’s training not test riding. Very much in step with my trainer so very easily understood and executable for the both of us.

Can’t wait to go back again today as she stated to give us a couple of more canter exercises for our toolbox. Will talk more specifics after.

I did manage to ask someone watching to take a pic or two and bless her she even took some video!!

https://youtu.be/WFs6g5QteRs

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:48 pm

Aleuronx wrote:Day one at the Janet Foy clinic yesterday quick update: it was fantastic! Janet was spot on to our struggles, right hind and hind legs overpowering the front in the canter. She was super complementary of our basics :o I was very pleasantly surprised that she separated the judging from the training, we talked during canter exercises about not kicking her forward and letting her make the mistakes as it’s training not test riding. Very much in step with my trainer so very easily understood and executable for the both of us.

Can’t wait to go back again today as she stated to give us a couple of more canter exercises for our toolbox. Will talk more specifics after.

I did manage to ask someone watching to take a pic or two and bless her she even took some video!!

https://youtu.be/WFs6g5QteRs

Glad you're having a productive clinic. I'll be interested in reading more detail once you have more time and get to ride with her again.

Return to “Dressage Training”