September - October goals and progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
mari
Herd Member

September - October goals and progress

Postby mari » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:26 am

Second day of September and we don't have a new thread yet? I wanted to name it "Sprint has sprung", but I'm in South Africa and realised it would not apply for most of you :lol:

I will start with some flying change progress. The changes have really smoothed out. As proof, here are two HP into changes that we did at the end of the lesson this morning :D

https://youtu.be/g9D0CbaGK4Q

https://youtu.be/5r88k_ZdKUI

He's anticipating them A LOT right now, and wants to throw them in anywhere as an answer to every aid, but at least he's (mostly) not flinging himself around or violently kicking out anymore. So I'll do one or two, for example in HP to the wall, ask for the change on the wall. And then I'll end off the ride with a HP or LY to the wall, carry on straight without the change (with some exaggerated bend and leg aids if needed), halt in the corner, big praise.

What's really really helped us with the kicking out is getting him very mobile and obedient in his neck and wither at the canter, and then doing thousands and thousands of t/c/t/c transitions all over the arena, in interesting places. He needs to go forward from the leg aid, and wait for the cue to know which leg to strike off on.

My goals for the coming two months is to work on straightness in the changes, and to start asking for more than one on the long side.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: September - October goals and progress

Postby blob » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:55 am

WOW, Mari your changes look so effortless and wonderful. I am so pleased to see that progress (and a bit jealous too, ha!).

Here are my goals...

MM:
Continue fitness/cross training: poles, jumping, etc
Having control and forward in collected canter: I would love to be able to canter the box well by the end of this bimester
Try to get someone out a couple times to be the ground person while we work half steps in hand

RP:
Get him legged back up and back in shape after a month off for lameness/injury
If the above is successful--go to regionals in October and try to do our championship class without melting into puddle of nerves (either one of us!)
Get his gassiness sorted: I'm working with an equine nutritionist

Me:
Get back into the swing of working out home 2-3 times a week: maybe even use husband's pelaton
Survive this very tricky work project i'm on at the moment

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:17 pm

I agree Mari. Your changes really do look nice and forward and balanced especially changing right to left.

My son is getting married in October so between work and that, riding is going to have to take a bit of a back seat; but, being the easily bored person that I am.......

My goals:

Junior:
Get back into regular riding lessons. We actually have one scheduled for tomorrow morning.
Get the changes as smooth and effortless as Mari's ;)
Schooling show in two weeks - riding third 1 and third 2 - just trying to learn the tests and not completely embarrass ourselves
Participate in the Lilo Fore clinic and hopefully get some useful advice to help Junior progress further
Ultimate goal is to have Junior ready to show third level in recognized competition in November; so, now that it should be cooling off a bit I will be pulling out the cavallettis again and doing more jumping.
Boys being boys I noticed yesterday morning that Junior has a relatively superficial (still swollen) injury to his left hind. Looks like Brandon came down with his hoof and grazed Juniors splint or cannon bone. We shall see this morning if it is causing any issues.

Brandon:
Get him healthy again. He is still coughing but not as much and the snot at least has stopped.
See if my old/new/old saddle does the trick in allowing me to get him more balanced and thus true to the bit. I'll take better acceptance in whatever form it comes.
Start taking Brandon to lessons once I am able to influence him correctly at all three gaits.
More in hand work to help all of the above. I purchased a new lunging cavesson which should help in this endeavor.
I'll be taking him to the schooling show at WestWorld in two weeks but he's going to just hang out and see the sights given the fact that we haven't been able to ride or do much.

Ace:
He now has the flu though no where as bad as Brandon, most likely because I've kept him vaccinated. (Keeping fingers crossed the Junior's vaccines continue to do their job). I have three different people who want to bring their kids over to ride; so, as soon as he's healthy again he'll be assigned baby sitting duties and giving pony rides.

Me:
Continue to work out 4 days a week. Once it truly cools off I'm hoping to get back into regular running just for my sanity.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:51 pm

Kimba. I have decided to shelf showing with her. From here through PSG the trot work is pretty much the same, but canter gets more complicated and we all know my little grey sweetheart struggles in canter. So she is my thesis. I want to improve the changes, but mostly work on balance, connection and idealism. lol

Saiph, get 4th level ready and some PSG prep.

Cali, 2nd ready

myself, I have started doing yoga to stretch and supple and strengthen myself so I am going to give it 60 days to see if I can get better at it without destroying my knee

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:44 pm

Pretty much more of the same for me this time around.

Taking Annabelle to a non-recognized show weekend after next. Should be a pretty mellow venue and we are signed up for 1-2 and 1-3 both days. After that I will start focusing more on the 2nd level details again, and start looking at parts of 3rd. Suppleness and bounce! I should be able to take lessons a little more frequently. Instructor says she is going back to California around the beginning of November. I'll start playing a bit with the double bridle after the show as well.

Tesla - just keep chipping away at her acceptance of having a job. Get her hauled out as close to weekly as I can so it is hopefully old hat going into winter.

Chance-the-Shire - I've been riding him 2x a week, and plan to keep that up through September. I'll probably end there as it's tricky fitting him into my schedule and days will be getting shorter.

Self - run more consistently as the weather cools off. Get back on the Feldenkrais train (I did re-start yesterday).
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:05 pm

mari, those changes are VERY nice for just starting out. What wonderful bigness and separation of the hind leg that comes under. You have a talented horse! And I have to say, I love the spots! My Appy was super god at changes, too.

Just counting down to champs and worrying about smoke. The fire was blanketing the area in toxic smoke last weekend. This week it's been mostly in the green/yellow area (good) but today it's back to we can see smoke here by the bay and it's in the hundreds. Sigh. NO word from those in charge if it's bad.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:43 pm

Super changes Mari! It's been cool watching and hearing your progress!

I'm still very goal-less. Horses are going well though, just slow progress. Had an online lesson (submitted video, then go through it) with my instructor which has given me a heap of homework. We are in covid lockdown plus she is really busy, so face to face clinics are very few and far between. It just makes progress so slow, I keep videoing my riding and trying to see for myself what to fix but it's not a quick way to do things.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:47 am

Mari- wow! Really nice changes and riding!

Lynx just arrived to the new barn tonight. He really walked off the trailer like an old pro. Well then once we got around the corner he did have a minor spook at a picnic bench. Otherwise was very common about the whole move.

He gets two days of settling in and then our first session with the Eventing trainer M on Sunday. Then next Friday we are supposed to have a lesson with the dressage trainer A.

Goals: just take it slow and keep building up his fitness and rehab.
Settle in and get riding even if it's walk trot and a little pole work for a while.
I'm riding in a clinic (on a different horse) on October 2nd so I have a month to get back in shape and riding! I'm pretty excited about this month.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:50 am

Tanga wrote:mari, those changes are VERY nice for just starting out. What wonderful bigness and separation of the hind leg that comes under. You have a talented horse! And I have to say, I love the spots! My Appy was super god at changes, too.

Tanga, we have been "just starting out" with changes for about 3 years now :D My first time teaching a horse changes, and both my instructors agreed that he was really tough to teach them to. So not a particularly great experience the whole way through, but I certainly learnt a lot of patience and problem-solving :lol:

Chisamba - Good luck with the yoga. As a fellow yoga sufferer, my only advice is to stick with it. It will suck and suck and suck and suck forever, and then about 4 months down the line you suddenly realise it sucks a little bit less.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:05 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 is that Jessica Wisdom that you're riding with in the clinic? I am acquainted with her through my welsh cob life; but, I have never seen her coach/teach. Let us know how it goes and what you think. I'm getting ready to load Junior to haul to our lesson. It's so nice to be getting back into the swing of things again.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:47 pm

exvet wrote:Lipsmackerpony88 is that Jessica Wisdom that you're riding with in the clinic? I am acquainted with her through my welsh cob life; but, I have never seen her coach/teach. Let us know how it goes and what you think. I'm getting ready to load Junior to haul to our lesson. It's so nice to be getting back into the swing of things again.

Yes it is. Someone brings her a few times a year. I watched her teach years ago. She seemed like a real stickler for correctness. Firm but fair. We will see. I'll definitely update.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:53 pm

mari--Well, it's all OK. You're still looking good. Every time you do something it's new. I always felt I was great at teaching changes, and then Quilla came along. She is doing them all, but she has been the hardest in getting them consistently clean.

Chisamba--Ooh. Yoga. I love the idea, but could never do it specifically because I have such bad joints. (Can't kneel bend, and doing yoga I found I can't put weight on my wrists or elbows.) Pilates was what worked for me. And I am so lucky my favorite instructor at 24 Hour Fitness went private on Zoom when Covid came and stayed that way, so I can do it all from home, up to 7 times a week for $25 a month. She's a chiropractor and knows her stuff, and every workout is always a little different working on different things, using all workout types with accommodations for all. People in the class range from 7 to 85. If anyone is interested, message me and I will give you contact information. She'll let you try it out two weeks for free to try it out. M-f at 11 am PST, and T/Th. at 9 am also.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:16 pm

Mari. ek sal vasbyt , dankie.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:38 pm

Came back from my lesson feeling like we didn't lose too much over the summer. Definitely need to work on getting Junior more supple at the center especially but at least it doesn't take me quite as long to get him coming through and over his back......just need to be better in keeping him there consistently. Unfortunately where I take him gets hotter and muggier than here (lots of surrounding farm land with irrigation) so he gave me some really good work but petered out quickly. I'm definitely going to have to focus on improving his stamina before the clinic. It's so hard to go out and work the horses after a 12 hours shift mostly doing surgeries as I'm having to take on more and more workload, then getting home to 'still' hot weather; but, I'm going to have to suck it up and just do it.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:00 pm

Congratulations on getting in the LF clinic exvet!
LS I hope your clinic goes well!
Tanga jingles the fires die down
Mari nice!!
Chisamba I’ve always enjoyed yoga but I think I prefer Pilates now. Really enjoy the concentration of proper alignment.
SF good luck at the show!

My goals for Joplin is right lead canter. I’ve got to get it better. Left is coming nicely. Lateral work is going well and her medium trot very nice. We are now in the myler wide barrel comfort snaffle using a micklemen bridle for better stability. Seems for the most part to go better in it though we occasionally lose the plot and have some miscommunication

A friend who has known Joplin since she was a foal came out to see her go today. Her comment was she is so powerful! Joplin was showing some of her medium trot work.

Gaila just ride her more. It’s still been hot and sticky and very unmotivating. Not to mention farm chores and mom care getting in the way.

WE clinic week from Saturday. Really more just group lessons very informal then Cedar following weekend. Having to be much more covid aware now so have strategies to hopefully be safe since I’m not sure of everyone’s vaccination status. Hospitals are slammed here with ambulance an hour wait to get one. It’s ridiculous living here in the uninformed fox watching south

Stay cool and happy riding!!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:28 am

Well, I'm just plowing on here. We'll get moved to a new barn eventually--in a weird turn of events, the person that is the road block in moving into the barn we are supposed to be moving to is actually going to be the person taking the lease on our current barn, so we are all stuck in a strange vicious circle of who moves when... It's a small world around here.

In the mean time, I'm plugging quietly away at building our mutual confidence in each other, not expecting any extraordinary technical breakthroughs before we move, but I'd like us to be a more comfortable partnership by the time I get to share a ring with the big fancy boys.

The new barn is full of rather higher level riders and horses than I've been around before on a regular basis, which I'm quite excited by--it'll be great to be surrounded by that every day--maybe make it worth the painful drive and the significant hike in board costs.

So, lots of quiet, repetitive patterns, figure eights, counted transitions on circles, focus on breathing and straightness, always straightness.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:32 pm

So much going on from the start, good on everyone!!

Mountaineer fingers crossed moves happen as smoothly as those things can. That's so stress inducing.

Honestly just a bit wishy-washy on goals. I know I should probably bank in as many lessons with trainer as I can as after this bi-month it will be November and they'll be Florida bound post Thanksgiving. But with Kora still growthy it seems a bit pointless to be told "head down and GO". Yes, can do on my own.

We've been 'cheating' in the hay fields and putting our big girl pants on doing some lovely canters. They haven't done 2nd cut yet but good grief it's late so we're just sneaking out there anyway. ;) Trusting her a bit more as she's been quite manageable and down right fun.

Section Goals:
4+ lessons w/Trainer
October Beach Ride w/friend
Canter? adjustability
Trot? add some lateral work (maybe?)

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:28 pm

Love reading the goals and updates. Thanks all!

Our goal is truly just strength building. Emi has been cleared for canter for over a month, but it is still hard work. We're at 5 minutes of canter, 3-4 times per week and the expectation level is training/1st level frame (not much). Her trot work is much stronger, though, and we are adding a touch of lateral work in trot now and of course tons of transitions. For those new to "us", we are rehabbing a 19 yr old mare who was solid 2nd, schooling all of 3rd, post a branch suspensory injury in Dec 2020.

With the sudden shift in weather here to highs in the los 80s F I'm honestly just grateful to ride and willing to do all of the strength exercises we need, including hill aerobics.

Work is hell, but there you go. Thank god/dess for horses.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:00 am

I had a lesson on MM today. I haven't had one since my instructor stopped making farm calls, so it had been awhile. It was good to get her out and have a structured session. We worked mostly on getting her more uphill in the trot by playing with flexions while keeping her shoulders super straight. And we were able to get some really nice trot work that way. Now I just need to be able to 1. maintain that quality at home; and 2. start being able to bring that level of expression into the lateral work as well. The canter work was less successful--right lead canter was good but for some reason she just couldn't get her hind end under her on the left lead. I think the footing of hte place we'd hauled into played a role (much deeper than we're used to), but given she was managing ok on the right I think there is also something going on with the left lead. It felt to me like she was dragging her outside hind and leaning on the inside shoulder. But turns out I don't know what I'm feeling, ha, because instructor thought it looked like it was her left hind that was struggling and that she was falling out in the right shoulder. So, tomorrow I need to remember his words and try to ride for that.

RP still has crazy horse brain (he doens't do great with time off), so working on trying to get him back into work mode mentally is the real battle right now. I"m hoping tomorrow with 4 days in a row he'll be a bit more focused.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:20 am

Demi, where are you?

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:46 am

I hope Demi will check in, I've been missing her contributions.

For me and Connor, we have finally been able to get some fairly regular work in, and as I'll be home for a bit now, I'm going to try to set some goals.
1. canter: do some canter every ride, be super aware of my position and coordination of aids. Left is harder than to the right (me or him? probably a bit of both!), so aim for a little bit more left canter.
2. SI at trot
3. Haunches in/out @walk (we find this difficult, but got to just try, even if it's a bit messy)
4. ride outside the arena at least once per week (weather permitting - it's just too slippery when wet) : we have a good 30min circuit around the property

demi

Postby demi » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:41 pm

I’m right here. It’s nice to be missed, thanks! I haven’t been motivated to write anything as my progress is so slow. Plus, it’s been like a sauna here for the last couple of months which slows me way down. I’ve managed to keep riding 3-4 days a week but I just haven’t had the drive to hook up the trailer and haul out to lessons. I have a Pivo which is very helpful, but it’s been too hot to use it very much (the iPhone shuts off in the heat). I did manage to get a couple of vids in the last couple of weeks and I can see the progress, although I’m not sure it would be obvious to anyone else. I was able to feel it but needed the video to confirm that what I was feeling was real. I’m still analyzing the vid from last week and maybe will post some stuff later, or at least write about what I think is going on.

I’ve been reading the board regularly and love everyone’s progress. Some nice pics (Kora, MM, Annabelle, and Tesla, off the top of my head) and some nice show reports, Chisamba and Tanga! Oh and Odin’s changes!

Cooler weather is just around the corner and I feel ready for it. I’ve kept our fitness in spite of the heat so ready to kick butt when the weather breaks….

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:25 pm

mari, I'm another one chiming in that Odin's changes look nice, easy and ho-hum! That's a pretty awesome accomplishment.

Love the other updates.

My goal for the coming months, which is my favorite time of year here as temps and humidity fall: Continue strength building!

It's a long road back from a suspensory in Dec 2020 and I've been doing it slowly. We're now good cantering 5+ mintutes in the field or arena, but need to slowly build that up to more (I recall that before her injury, 15-20 minutes of canter work was not no big deal. Not so now.) I'm also being very dedicated to tons of transitions (w-t-w-t-h-t-h-t) and making sure all of the work is in good balance. Emi shows fatigue by falling on her forehand. So we take a little break before that happens! I do feel that is the gift of recovery/rehab work: You get really, really clear about what kind of work is good for your horse.

Here is Emi post aerobic workout on the hills, starting to paw for dinner (left front is not injured!):
Emi Sept 2021.jpg
Emi Sept 2021.jpg (88.46 KiB) Viewed 13317 times

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:12 am

So, a week tomorrow is now the move date for Potters. Thank Heavens.

We had an excellent lesson today. I'm almost embarrassed by how easy the flying changes are on this horse. Stay off his face, shift your weight, push your leg forward and Boom, clean, easy, non-dramatic change. (Bearing in mind that pretty much everything in this horse's life involves drama, thats a pretty big deal..) Could it have more jump, probably, but I will take what I've got for now, as we have plenty of other imperfections to work on!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:22 am

And... Piedmont, I was reminded by a Facebook memory this morning from 12 years ago that it is indeed a long road to recovery for a suspensory injury. I was still hand walking and trotting Walker up and down my mountain. (To heck with him, I think I was the fittest id been in years!) However, here we are, 13 years later, and all that tedious diligence paid off, as it has never given him so much as a twinge since.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:40 pm

Having a down day, but I did ride over Labor Day weekend and, as always, had a great deal of fun. Yesterday, I galloped Rudy through a grain field that had been harvested. I don't know who had more fun, him or me, but dang it felt good to just fly along like a kid again.

Welcome back Demi. Glad to hear you've been able to ride despite the miserable heat. All of us on this side of the planet are looking forward to some cooler weather I think.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:47 am

Ahhh!!! Counting down. Less than two weeks to champs. Things are going well. Really happy with both horses. Freestyles are tweaked and have the music exactly where I want it. The weather is cooling down and hopefully stays that way, so maybe high at 90. The smoke has been the same there as here, varying from good to moderate. It looks like they are moving the USDF GP freestyle, so I think I will be able to ride it. And my friend JUST booked her tickets from Germany, so she and her son (medical school age) are coming to help with the show so I don't have to do everything by myself, and then will stay another five days to do touristy things.

Maybe this will all work out!

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:02 pm

Oh Tanga, how fantastic to be able to do that with friends. Have a blast and ride it like you stole in the freestyle!

As much as I was waffling on what to do this section for goals I just up and signed Kora and ourselves up to a clinic with Janet Foy at the end of October. :shock:

Figured my tall boots will be in by first week of October so we should be presentable by then...

blob

Postby blob » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:25 pm

Can't wait to hear how the show goes, Tanga!
Sue--how fun! I dream of open fields to ride in!
Demi--glad to hear from you!
PiedmontF--Emi is looking lovely (and ready for her food!)

Horses got their vaccines on Tuesday, which means MM is on a bit of a mini-break. She always gets swelling at the injection site and even though we do our best to minimize (cold hosing, banimine, arnica gel, riding right after to get some movement going, etc) there is reliably always some swelling. Luckily the banimine is keeping the swelling from being ouchy. But I'm waiting until swelling is down a bit more before riding.

RP is still in the process back to shape after 5 weeks off for his injury. He's been back in work for about 2ish weeks now and honestly his brain is still not back with the program. Show entries for regionals are on Monday and I need to decide if I think he'll be ready in time for the show (oct. 7-9). I'm not so worried about the lameness (we are pretty sure it was an abscess that took a long time to surface). But I am worried about getting him physically and mentally back in shape. We would just be doing training level, so it's not that I need anything too advanced. And we do have about a month. But I also don't want to go if he is not in a good place for it.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:06 pm

I'm glad everybody is still hanging in there with this horrid heat! Sounds like things are moving along for most of us and for some of you guys looking really exciting!!

I got to ride Lynx today after not riding him all summer. We had a dressage lesson with the dressage trainer that's at the barn. It was awesome! Lynx was so good. A little bit on the quieter/lazy side but it was nearing 95° at 11:00 this morning. So I can't blame him.

We did a pretty light and easy ride of course but I was still drenched with sweat!! We worked on lots of walk/trot transitions, large figure eights/squares, a touch of leg yield (more just the thought) and just getting used to each other again at a new barn with a new trainer.

I'm thrilled with how it went. He gets his feet done tomorrow and gets the day off. Then Sunday we have a lesson with the eventer (for just pole work.) She's the one who rode him twice this week to help him settle in. I know she's a lovely rider so hopefully I like her also an instructor. I love the dressage trainer. It was just easy communication. I feel like she gave me my money's worth as far as working on enough things but also understanding and gentle given our situation with rehab and everything. I think the Eventer will be similar.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:52 pm

LSP 88 - So glad to read about your progress with Lynx. Sounds like he was a good egg.

Well between building projects, work, extreme heat and the like, I haven't been able to get much riding in. I did get a lesson on Friday morning. Junior did very well; but, at the end he started coughing, not bad but I was afraid that he might have a less severe case of the flu. Our lesson consisted mostly of getting him forward and over his back in the warm up. Working on the square at the walk just having him halt prior to each corner, turn on the forehand, halt and proceed at the walk - with the focus on being true to the bit, even on both sides, even in both hands and coming all the way through and over his back..........of course it's exercises like these that really scream where the evasions are. Then we worked on the SI to renver like in third level test 2......no coughing throughout until the end. I rode him again yesterday, repeating much of the same - he too repeated much of the same, no coughing until the end.

I was supposed to ride in the schooling show today; but, as of 5 pm last night I had not received my ride times let alone confirmation of receipt of my entries. When I reached out to the show secretary she insisted that she had sent them multiple times. I had checked my junk box and the full history of my in box and deleted box, nothing from her. I reminded her that this same issue occurred each of the last three years. She sent me a screen shot of the day sheet (not posted anywhere - I had checked before contacting her). Due to the hour that she got back to me, 7 pm, coupled with Junior's coughing each day starting Friday (albeit brief, no nasal discharge, no fever, and good appetite) and the unrelenting extreme heat (108 yesterday & today), I informed her that I was just going to scratch. I explained that it would be better for everyone's horse to do so. She seemed to be miffed, put off and made it clear that I was forfeiting my fees; but, seriously, finding out at 7 pm that I was to be riding at 7:36 and 7:52 the following morning just wasn't all that inspirational, let alone worth the risk to my horse (as well as the risk to other horses - horses in the barn next door are still coughing).

On the bright side of things, Brandon is no longer coughing and his tongue and bit issues seem to greatly improve with a better fitting saddle, slower tempo and requests for him to give me the correct bend moving from inside leg to outside hand. Go figure that the basics seem to sort out the mouth, back and rein lame issues ;) Oh and Junior and I qualified for state championships at second level!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:05 am

Ugh, that is frustrating Exvet. I would have scratched too. I hope the horses stop coughing.

Annabelle was quite a good girl this weekend. The first day she was nervous and it manifested in being kind of tense and behind my leg. The L judge I thought was pretty tough. Our 1st-2 test was about the same as the one that earned us a 64 a few weeks ago, and she awarded us a 58.426, complete with a 5.0 for rider position. Ouch. The second day we did better on that test with a 62.429. First-3 I felt we put in a good test the first day but only got 58.750. The second day that one started strong, but then we had a couple errors and it seemed like she started scoring us down on the rest of the test (e.g. we had a nice clean change of lead through trot and she gave us a 5) but at least I got a 7 on rider effectiveness for that test (weird to me considering the errors). I got the sense that she would be one to heap praise on the WB types, as she just wanted more swing, more overtrack, more engagement, more uphill gaits. So I probably won't show Annabelle under her again, but I'll still use the feedback as homework. However, the show was tiny and we were the only pair riding first level, so at least I got 4 blue rosettes out of it. :mrgreen:
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:06 pm

You know Straightforward if you got a 'lesson' out of how to improve your show/ring craft, your horse(s) were well behaved, and you lived to tell the tale.....then it's a very good day in my book; so, Congratulations! I think every judge is geared (especially L grads) to want more, more, more, more......LOL. I've had some judge's give me a better position score if they felt I was really riding the horse with determination and intent and it translated into a little bit of pushing the envelope...but just kind of pushed it over the edge.....that part always showed in the effectiveness aspect and the overall score.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:44 pm

I’m trying to do an update with a photo comparison that I did recently. But the file is too large. I thought the board had changed so that when a photo was being added there was a choice of size. That doesn’t seem to be happening now. Maybe the option was only on my windows computer which literally came apart at the seams from overheating too often and now I can only use my iPad.

Anyway, the weather has been riding friendly lately. I am still working on keeping my downhill conformed horse in and uphill carriage. It has gotten much better in the last 6 months or so. I can definitely feel the difference and it’s visible in pictures. Every ride now starts in an uphill carriage that I’m very happy with. Rocky has a strong enough hindquarters to carry us both uphill, but the strength still needs to develop more. She poops out after about 20 minutes of real work (not including our 10 minute walk warmup where I ask for the uphill carriage). But looking at the vids, and from what I’m feeling, we are close to where I’d like to be. The right lead canter in an uphill frame and contact (vs. long and low QH style) which was an issue for so long, is now well established and consistently good, even better than the left lead.

I have all the second level work in place, and some of third, with the exceptions of trot lengthenings, and counter canter. The problems with the trot lengthening is not that she can’t do it, but that it gives her too much opportunity to revert to the downhill carriage. And with the CC, she falls back to a downhill carriage trot after a few strides. Strength I think is the answer. Also, with the 2nd, 3rd level lateral work, the same issue: she starts in really nice carriage, but just cant keep it up in the frame that I want.

So I’m just chipping away at it. Slowly…

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:51 pm

Demi, I hope you figure out how to post the photos because I would love to see them! Sometimes I just use an app that resizes it for me.

It sounds like you and Rocky have made quite a lot of progress! How exciting!! I hope to see more of you guys.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:09 pm

Demi, did you read through the recent half pass thread? I got a ton of good lateral work tips from that to help A, who as you know has similar challenges. Great to hear updates from you!
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:57 am

Nice to hear from you Demi.

Got Potters moved yesterday. He turns out to be an absolute champ at loading and trailering, bless him. I think we are going to enjoy the new barn very much.

Please spare a thought and a prayer for us in the morning, and wish my dearly beloved Walker Godspeed.

Many changes in my life.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:17 am

Mountaineer, all my blessings your way.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:25 am

I’m so sorry mountaineer. It’s always difficult having to make those tough choices. Godspeed Walker. Glad Potter was a good boy for the move

I may be facing the same with my old mare Gallie. Rip and Gaila’s dam. I’ve had her almost 26 years now. She foundered bad in 2015. Came in yesterday really lame up front. Worse RF but lame both. Farrier thinks it’s just our weather. Wet soft feet then turned hard ground (had to put front shoes back on Rip too) giving it a bit of time to see what shakes out.

Otherwise very successful WE clinic this past weekend!! Joplin is just such a good girl. I’m starting to get a better feel of it all.

This upcoming weekend is the 3 rd Cedar clinic of the year. We may be a bit wet thanks to the tropical system going through right now. Hoping it moves through faster than predicted. Looking forward to it I think! Both of my mares are going well but Joplin is a bit of a princess and hates to get poured on. I do not have a covered arena unfortunately. Hope to one day!

Good luck to all who are showing soon!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:21 am

Very sorry Moutaineer. :( And Khall if you decide it is time. It seems like so many of our animal friends are leaving us lately.

Hope the Cedar clinic goes well and the weather cooperates!

Rode Annabelle in the double for the first time today. Of course I rode 99% off the snaffle and just let her get used to carrying the extra bit, but got the sense that it will give me that little extra bit I need to help keep her from going flat.

Tesla went to the vet on Friday because she had a bit of puffiness in her left front. She turned out to be sore in her heels both fronts, so I put in some Sole Guard today. She seemed to be going well after some lunging, so I'm planning to get her back to work tomorrow. Can't say I'm looking forward to getting on her tomorrow, but she was quite lovely on the ground today, so hopefully it will carry over. I was looking at her while she was standing on SureFoot pads yesterday, and she just keeps getting thicker. Not wide exactly, just... substantial. And she is cantering much better on the lunge, so hopefully she'll start getting with the program there.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:01 am

I hope all goes well, Mountaineer, and so sorry about Walker.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:37 pm

Thoughts and prayers for you, Mountaineer, and for the beautiful, one of a kind, Walker.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:41 pm

SF, I did read that thread, thanks for reminding me. It was interesting and I’ll go back and look at it again.
LSP, I’ll try to get pics up soon.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:23 pm

Blessings for an easy passing for Walker and you Mountaineer. I hope it's a beautiful morning for you both.

I bit the bullet and took Kora for a lesson yesterday to get of sense of if we need to change anything as she's still growthy but feeling better balanced. The chance part is I don't know if its the combo of growth spurt and coat change but she's felt like a old diesel start for the last week. Our lesson was a whopping 20 minutes.

Regardless we got a better idea for warmup and have the shoulders out but need to help her to get them up. All good problems and was told not to worry about her being too tired to horse, just phase. Was told not to expect her to stay this mellow/kick ride. Good!

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:55 pm

So sorry Mountaineer. Hope it all went well.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:55 am

{{{{Mountaineer}}}}

Well...Kyra and I are just keeping on with our meager schedule. My sister and I did a yard sale last Fri and Sat so with set up on Thurs, Kyra missed a few days. My back or SI or whatever the heck I buggered up last winter decided to flare up again so I quit cantering again for a couple weeks. Just that little bit of pelvic twist to follow the canter can really flare it up :P . It seems to have settled down and I did some canter on Tuesday without things getting any worse. I think the cooler weather has helped her forward, for sure. I have just been playing around with basic little things and she is usually right with me. One thing I have been doing is going between "baby" trot sitting to working trot rising and back again. She has been staying nicely in front of the leg. If I do much shorter work like baby trot, I make sure we do some nice forward work also. Tuesday, I worked her between a shorter canter and a nice who-hoo forward canter. I can feel her really pushing off with the rear end. Today, I got hung up running errands on the way to the barn which ate into my prep and ride time so instead of riding, I set up poles and she lunged walk and trot over poles with tons of transitions. I like to have her walk right up to the poles then transition to trot over the first pole...it really gets her to fold her hind legs and push. I also like to trot her over the poles then transition to canter then back to trot before the poles. She was quite good and handy with her feet. I have been doing her Spanish walk work and today got some really nice steps of half-steps with some nice lowering of the haunches. She is just a nice horse to "play" with.

I am going on vacation for a week next month so she will have that off too. I am going to the Oregon coast and have booked a beach ride. One of my bucket list items. I always wanted to do it on MY horse but I am getting too decrepit to deal with her excitement. A nice slow ride on a been there, done that pony is more appealing to me :lol: .

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:45 pm

I'm so sorry Mountaineer. There really are no words.

Brandon was fine when I fed yesterday morning. Then when I went out to start riding his left hind was blown up 3X normal. Grrrrrr.......boys playing rough again. So I rode Junior in the arena and worked diligently on forward and back, coming over the back all the way into the bridle and immediately responding to my leg aids. He really worked well. Then since Brandon looked like he had an exhaust pipe for a leg, it was Junior who went out on the trail to accompany Ace. I figure we need to build our stamina for the upcoming clinic.

Today I had a lesson and Junior did show improvement from last week. His SI to renver is becoming much more fluid. It became clear that my goal for the next two weeks leading up to the clinic is to strengthen my left leg so I can lighten my left hand. I over compensate with my left hand due to the issues I have with my upper right shoulder/arm/hand. That will be my focus both on and off the horse.

I'm going to try to have my daughter video my first session with Lilo Fore. She won't be able to go the second day; so, unfortunately I may not be able to get anyone to video the second session. I did get an email informing me to dress 'appropriately' since they'll be having media there and taking pictures to post on facebook each day. So......I bought Junior a new saddle pad which is a really sharp light blue. I don't put polos on welsh cobs so no matchy matchy other than my riding shirts, which are both light blue though not an exact match. Of course they want braided horses too. Junior's mane has grown out just enough to be braided but we're going to sport the roached look instead. Hopefully we won't embarrass the GMO too much ;)

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:35 pm

exvet wrote:I'm so sorry Mountaineer. There really are no words.

Brandon was fine when I fed yesterday morning. Then when I went out to start riding his left hind was blown up 3X normal. Grrrrrr.......boys playing rough again. So I rode Junior in the arena and worked diligently on forward and back, coming over the back all the way into the bridle and immediately responding to my leg aids. He really worked well. Then since Brandon looked like he had an exhaust pipe for a leg, it was Junior who went out on the trail to accompany Ace. I figure we need to build our stamina for the upcoming clinic.

Today I had a lesson and Junior did show improvement from last week. His SI to renver is becoming much more fluid. It became clear that my goal for the next two weeks leading up to the clinic is to strengthen my left leg so I can lighten my left hand. I over compensate with my left hand due to the issues I have with my upper right shoulder/arm/hand. That will be my focus both on and off the horse.

I'm going to try to have my daughter video my first session with Lilo Fore. She won't be able to go the second day; so, unfortunately I may not be able to get anyone to video the second session. I did get an email informing me to dress 'appropriately' since they'll be having media there and taking pictures to post on facebook each day. So......I bought Junior a new saddle pad which is a really sharp light blue. I don't put polos on welsh cobs so no matchy matchy other than my riding shirts, which are both light blue though not an exact match. Of course they want braided horses too. Junior's mane has grown out just enough to be braided but we're going to sport the roached look instead. Hopefully we won't embarrass the GMO too much ;)

I bet he will look fab. can't wait to see photos. They should knock $10 off the entry fee for every extra hour you need to groom to meet these expectations :)

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:24 pm

Kyra's mom, sounds like some good work. I'm going to take some of these ideas to work on myself. Enjoy your vacation!!

Exvet, I'm sorry about Brandon and I hope it's nothing serious!! I'm looking forward to your report about the clinic!! I do hope you'll share some video as I love seeing you ride.

I had a GREAT lesson on Lynx today with the Dressage trainer. I rodee him in the indoor arena for the first time. There were a few looking spots but he was very calm and rode around very well. Except for one spook at the end when some horses that are turned out outside of the barn kicked the barn right as we were going by. So he leapt up a bit but he's one of those guys that settles down again really quickly. We are basically just worked on familiarizing him to the indoor, transitions, leg yields and a touch of canter. He is feeling pretty good.

We're kind of dealing with a saddle fit stuff... I also almost wonder if he needs a different girth is it seems like the girth is pulling the billets in a funky way, no matter what saddle. And I'm still trying to find a good quality but economical saddle pad for schooling if anybody has any suggestions. So far I haven't found one that I'm enjoying but that could be more of the girth issues.

Yesterday I took a jumping lesson at the jumping barn (school horses) and cantered my first jump course! I'm feeling really good this week and pretty proud overall. :)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:15 pm

Moutaineer, I am sorry about your loss. It is good to be able to give a kind end.

Exvet, you will look fabulous. I hope your clinic is especially valuable.

LSP and Kyras mom, nice to hear.

My week has been rather busy so I need to catch up and report on my show. Lynne, brought her baby that I have been starting riding for her. He was very sane for a youngster, and we were well pleased with his into classes. I took Saiph again, and on one of our tests as we can around the curve the wind blew the tail over in front if is. This caused Saiph to be very indignant and mistrusting . unfortunately I had to do extended canterbto collected canter in that same corner and she went from an extended canter to a halt. then she was distracted and we didn't settle til the next move so we lost points both for the transition and for the collected canter. the good news is that we survived. lol.

her other test she was quite super and scored a 68, which i thought was quite good for third level test 2. I most need to improve our walk pirouette. and we had a slight jig in the extended walk. also the canter release on the circle flattened a bit. So if I can improve those three things maybe I can crack a seventy. wishful thinking or course but I eill try.

My barn assistant joined the army, so I have no help at the.moment, which is why I am so busy.

keep.up all the great posts.

Return to “Dressage Training”