Dig out the winter gear and finish strong: November/December Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Dig out the winter gear and finish strong: November/December Goals and Progress

Postby StraightForward » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:29 pm

Here we are heading towards the end of another strange year!

After some disruptions with injury (Annabelle) and sickness (Tesla), I am hoping for smooth sailing and a not-swamped/frozen arena for this 2-month period.

Annabelle
My winter goal for her is to solidify all the second level work and do and prepare for starting changes next summer/fall.
  • In-hand work/long-lining 1x a week - I'd totally forgotten that I have a self-paced in hand course that I need to take more advantage of.
  • Ride in the double 1x a week. Practice my rein-handling skills and keep her a little lighter in the bridle.
  • Lots of canter transitions and counter canter. Keeping the RH snappy and develop that jump and straightness.
  • Continue using lots of changes of bend SI/CSI/HI/Renvers/HP to supple her spine.
  • Don't for get about reinback!

Tesla
What I'll be able to do with her will depend on the weather, footing, and if the outdoor arena lights get installed. She does not think riding in the small indoor is a reasonable request, though I will be working on that once we get a little more consistency in the work in the outdoor arena.
  • General obedience :lol: I can't force this one, but work towards fewer arguments each ride.
  • A little in-hand work for her too.
  • Develop basic lateral work at walk and trot.
  • Don't force the canter, but be ready to encourage and accept when it's offered.
  • Double lunging 2x a week to make sure she gets some mileage on that difficult right lead.
  • Haul out at least 4x

Self
As always, try to get some off-horse workouts and eat properly.
Do the Feldenkrais exercises and keep trying to sort out my tendency to collapse left.
Possibly schedule a session with the local biomechanics expert and see what she might recommend.
Work on timing of the aids and effective half-halts.
Keep my lower leg quiet, especially when riding Tesla.

Tesla has her trace clip and is ready to do this :D :
Keep calm and canter on.

Ryeissa

Re: Dig out the winter gear and finish strong: November/December Goals and Progress

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:05 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Riding-Doctor-Pr ... 1570766649

this is a good book that talks about biomechnics and especially good at L/R asymmetry and some off horses fixes.
For the on the horse fix it depends on why you are sitting left- what part of the body needs to be addressed- is this a shoulder/pelvis/chest sternum and/or abs issue?

Do you also have a twist in the body?

also the contributions from the right side of the body can really impact if they are encouraging this to get worse.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Re: Dig out the winter gear and finish strong: November/December Goals and Progress

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:52 pm

Yikes…already?

My goals for Kyra
Get her moved to the new barn and settled in. Do lots of hand walking to introduce her to the place.
Try for riding 4 days per week (vs current every other day). Without an indoor it will depend some on the weather but she will get out and some kind of in-hand work, even if we have to do it in the barn aisle or her stall. Karen Rohlf has a couple videos for exercises for stall bound horses so I do have some ideas. Continue with her SW work and half steps.

We both need some fitness work so work will stay basic and lengthen the times of trot and canter and get some stamina built up (me more than the horse :P ).

For me…I tried the chiropractor and that was a no-go. Between the ditzy desk girl that could not get the billing right to being more painful post adjustment…yeah, I’m done. Will be starting some PT on Tuesday so hopefully that will get me going In the right direction. I am also going to start rowing again.

SF love the “T”. Very stylized :mrgreen: .

Susan
Last edited by Kyras_Mom on Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:06 pm

"Winter gear" here means long-sleeved shirts for warmth instead of sun protection. Very exciting times.

Job stress is ramping down which means it's time to (re)focus on fitness and training. Over what remains of 2021, I'll be working on:
- 15k steps/d; at least one 30+ min walk during the workday and some sort of after-work activity (dog walking, riding, etc.) every day
- Logging calories again (tragically, the only way I've managed to lose weight is to force myself to think about what I'm eating)
- Ride in the double 5x
- 4+ d/week training rides (vs pootling around)
- Build a medium that can score in the 7s
- Toy with pirouette canter until we can sit and also carry the front end

SF- love the clip job!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:04 pm

Ryeissa wrote:https://www.amazon.com/Riding-Doctor-Prescription-Balanced-Beautiful/dp/1570766649

this is a good book that talks about biomechnics and especially good at L/R asymmetry and some off horses fixes.
For the on the horse fix it depends on why you are sitting left- what part of the body needs to be addressed- is this a shoulder/pelvis/chest sternum and/or abs issue?

also the contributions from the right side of the body can really impact if they are encouraging this to get worse.

I've seen that book before, but the description seemed really focused on dealing with discomfort and rigidity in the saddle. I'm quite comfy up there, so it didn't sound right for me, but perhaps the description is a little off. ;) I have a pretty good sense of what I need to correct, but it's an exercise in peeling back the layers, and Feldenkrais work has been really helpful for that, but I think some professional, real-time hands on sessions would be helpful and probably give faster results (the biomechanics person will come and basically give a lesson and really drill in to where she thinks core position and movement issues can be addressed). I do have Suzanne von Dietze rider and horse back to back book and Dynamic Alignment through Imagery. Basically too much to read and too little time!
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:26 pm

Time flies doesn't it?

My goals continue on the same spectrum as before:

Junior
* Show next weekend and then in two more weeks show the championships (state), My goals is to try to maintain scores in the mid sixties (or above if possible)
* Start diligently working on the flying changes if we accomplish #1 in terms of scores.
* Start jumping him with a rider.
* Hopefully get to ride with someone who is my 'favorite coach' and is my instructor's instructor more often - once a month would be ideal

Brandon
* Start hauling him out for lessons. I hope to get to a cadence where I'm alternating weeks between Junior and Brandon
* Develop a more solid connection. He is MUCH better than before (last video)
* Develop better balance at all three gaits - he's getting there but needs to be more accepting of my guidance in where to put himself
* If there is a schooling show, I hope to take this guy, likely alone

Ace
* I'm going to start lunging him once a week in addition to his current riding schedule. He's starting to muscle up a little more and trot, canter transitions will help get rid of his hay belly
*I'm putting this here because Ace is our numero uno trail horse; but, I hope to get everyone legged up for 10-12 mile trail rides as opposed to our usual 4=5 that we stick to during the summer months.

Me
* Continue working out on my days off and probably introduce more kick boxing and get back to running now that the weather is better.
* Continue working on my hands.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:59 pm

StraightForward wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:https://www.amazon.com/Riding-Doctor-Prescription-Balanced-Beautiful/dp/1570766649

I've seen that book before, but the description seemed really focused on dealing with discomfort and rigidity in the saddle. I'm quite comfy up there, so it didn't sound right for me, but perhaps the description is a little off. ;) I have a pretty good sense of what I need to correct, but it's an exercise in peeling back the layers, and Feldenkrais work has been really helpful for that, but I think some professional, real-time hands on sessions would be helpful and probably give faster results (the biomechanics person will come and basically give a lesson and really drill in to where she thinks core position and movement issues can be addressed). I do have Suzanne von Dietze rider and horse back to back book and Dynamic Alignment through Imagery. Basically too much to read and too little time!

No, that is not accurate. It's quite good for laying out biomechanics and though a tad light on solutions it put thing together but since I've been riding with a biomechanics person regularly since 2014 I had a kinesthetic background to apply these ideas. Essentially I had heard it all before, but its a good book to start with.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:07 pm

Excited for some new goals!

We are entering our first dressage schooling show on November 20th. Just Intro A and B which will be great for us both. I haven't shown in over 15 years and never really dressage except one outing. I'm nervous and get too focused on being correct. My big focus this time is to stay relaxed and just be there for Lynx
and have a good confidence building time.

December we are doing a pile of poles class at another home barn schooling show. We also are planning to ride in a Jessica wisdom clinic if she does indeed come back in December. I will take Lynx this time.

Other than that I kind of just plan on continuing to strengthen but also take some time to bond and relax too. He's definitely been working hard the last few months and I think it's time to have some fun. We will be stepping back on the training rides and I will be at the forefront as his rider.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:22 pm

Ugh, not looking forward to winter. At all. Here's hoping it's a mild one in the northeast as I feel like we're starting to get into good progress. (Go to past section post to read Janet Foy clinic review!)

Past Section Goals:
4+ lessons w/Trainer Calling this a success as I had 2 lessons w/trainer and 2 lessons with Janet Foy
October Beach Ride w/friend Fail due to friend having horse issues. We will try to hit it up this winter tho.
Canter? adjustability Success for this, we are starting to build in some good gears in the canter
Trot? add some lateral work (maybe?) Success for this as well, great stuff from Janet clinic and I was so glad I started to introduce the idea of haunches in.

Section Goals:
4+ lessons
Stay in the ring @Schooling show :lol:
Beach visit
Canter - work exercises to get front end up and out
Trot - Keep on trucking with building the half halt and strength. Solid haunches in/start of trot half pass

blob

Postby blob » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:21 pm

I can't believe the year is almost coming to a close, I need to go back and look at my Jan/Feb goals just for fun--chances are they are more or less the same as the ones I have now!

MM:
Jump/poles once a week
Lunging/long lining once a week
Work on cantering that box
Keep working more power in the HP

RP:
Nationals in November--manage nerves, have fun!
Work on getting shoulders more supple
Start playing around with changes (I want him to know he can change before I do too much CC)
get more sit and slow in the trot lengthenings

Me:
Try to get back to working out at home
Find better riding/work balance (the last two months have been difficult on this front)
ETA: focus on position and precise/light aids on both horses
Last edited by blob on Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:14 pm

So this session I’ve got two clinics going WE and then Cedar. I’m hoping to take Joplin to school at poplar place after their next schooling show (it’s same weekend as Cedar clinic). They are so nice and keep the show jumps and dressage arenas up for you to school Sunday-Tuesday. If I can I’m going to haul over Tuesday to school. Have lots to juggle being thanksgiving that week so I’m not sure.

Joplin work more on canter and piaffe in hand. Her lateral work is just good

Gaila work on piaffe basics in hand WC transitions and ride the dragon:)

Both ride out in the hay fields

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:41 pm

we actually have freeze warnings this week. brrrr.

I have to really think about my end of year goals. I do not really have any yet. I have one less horse to ride, which is ok with me.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:44 pm

Chisamba, we've been freezing hard pretty much every night for a month. Winter is upon us!

Well, in the last session, we got moved to the new barn and I pushed off out of the country for 3 weeks and came back with dreadful grandchild-inflicted gumboo. However, I have largely got over that now, and we have settled in quite nicely and are enjoying some very pleasant, confidence building rides.

I'm also enjoying my new barn mates, who are positive, friendly and hardworking. It's funny, my arch-rival in the show ring of many years, (who is actually a good friend and cheerleader and is a much better and more experienced rider than I am, but often had some rehab or retrain project in the same classes as me) is usually riding at the same time as I am. Her trainer has noticed that she is upping her game somewhat since I got there. She's obviously feeling competitive!

This session, we are going to start progressing things from "nice and pleasant," which has been an achievement in it's own right, to more focused and forward and a lot more through. Just a lot more "more!"

He already has the technical skills for all the "fancy stuff." He just needs a solid foundation of fitness and correct development to make it easy for him, rather than stressful.

We need to get to the point where we can add another day of riding into the week, but at the moment, he's finding 4 days of physical effort and concentration to be about all he can cope with comfortably. He's packing on some weight and muscle, though, and is starting to look quite different in his body. I need to get some pictures.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:41 pm

I'll join in for probably the first time. I have been working on overcoming my fear of the canter for almost a decade. Finally, success!!! It took dumping my old trainer, moving 75 miles away, putting my horse into full training to establish a push button canter aid, and then plugging away at it. Also in the background was tons of fitness stuff. But I am now cantering. It's not pretty. Anyway, I demo'd a saddle yesterday and OMG, I could sit the canter in it. And my gelding was so happy in it. When I put my old saddle back on, he was a bit of a grouch.
So goals: Continue on with the canter work. Refine my half halts so they're faster and use much more leg. Always more leg. Ride to the edge of and then past my comfort zone. Wait patiently for my new saddle to arrive. Start showing next year at TL.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:23 am

Yay, Goldhorse!!!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:34 am

Seriously, you all are inspiring and encouraging! Thank you.

I miss the ease and pleasure of Emi's canter. People used to say it was like we were floating calmly on a cloud when they saw us. Good canter is still hard work for her, post-injury, and I don't want to break her :shock: . But a bit more canter this month is our job. She can do much harder trot work than straight up first level canter work. I do believe (mostly) that the slow, steady increase in trot and lateral work demands will pay off---if I don't break her!

khall

Postby khall » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:21 pm

Woo hoo!! First canter and first WC transitions with Joplin in the field today!! I adore this mare:). She was a bit fizzy out riding after cantering in the hay field so I decided to try a WC transition and they were so soft and elevated and RIDABLE!! So nice to ride a trustworthy horse. Her canter has amazing elevation and so comfortable to ride.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:28 pm

Awesome Goldhorse!! Excited to follow your progress.

Yay Khall!! Sounds like a wonderful ride, as usual, on Joplin.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:59 pm

Yay everyone, I also find much inspiration here. Goldhorse, go You!!

I have goals for two this time:

(Re)Introducing Fergal, 8 yr old Connemara / TB cross; we started him 4 yrs ago, but he's been difficult - cold-backed and prone to spook and buck. Generally suspicious and spooky, but clever too. Suspect some mis-handling before we got him. I came off him over 2 years ago, and only got back on about a month ago, after many months ground work.

- ride outside round pen
- put saddle on *every* day (even if we don't ride)

Connor :
- in-hand session (even if short) before each ride, including reinback
- calm willing canter transitions
- confirm trot SI

Me:
- work on clarity of the aids
- develop better 'base of support' (thanks SF and Exvet!), a bit more stability in my lower leg

Below are a few photos of Fergal, last week. I like the way his ears are on me all the time, he's trying to work it all out! In case anyone is wondering, I'm riding in a rope halter with reins, under the bridle. I initially started with just the halter so that if he did launch into a bucking session I could hang on with the reins. (He hasn't, so far, touchwood!).

trotright.jpg
trotright.jpg (114.82 KiB) Viewed 8406 times

trotleft.jpg
trotleft.jpg (107.22 KiB) Viewed 8406 times

sideways-right-rein.jpg
sideways-right-rein.jpg (145.34 KiB) Viewed 8406 times

demi

Postby demi » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:51 pm

Anne, I find a lot of inspiration from this group, too. You’re an inspiration, too. I remember some of your rodeo pictures with Fergal! Sounds like you’re going about it the smart way, and glad to see you have your flak vest on.

I dont exactly have goals for this time, just to keep going. Rocky feels better than I ever imagined she could given her conformation. It took forever to get a comfortable trot that didnt feel like I was going to be pitched over her head every stride. Now it is very enjoyable to sit, and it is somewhat adjustable. Working and collected are good, and it sure feels like a really nice medium is just around the corner. I am waiting it out before I ask for more lengthening, until it feels like I won’t lose her to the forehand after a few strides…

The canter is also getting really nice. Today, I was able to get collected 10 metercircles on both leads! I need to go back and look at older posts when I couldn’t even get a right lead canter on a shorter rein. I could easily get both leads if I let her go on her forehand but I hated riding her like that. My trainer just kept driving us forward on a short rein and it felt awful. When covid hit and I quit hauling out to lessons, I changed tactics. I quit cantering altogether and just persistently kept asking her to step under my seat at walk and trot. Also, she had to carry her front end and not lean on the reins. EVERY STEP had to be balanced like that and I soon figured out where I was loosing her. Like in the corners, or changing direction, or changing gait….

So when she eventually felt really nicely balanced at trot, I added canter. There were some hiccups for a week or so, but she figured out it was going to be the same deal as with trot and almost suddenly she had a collected canter with both leads. I will get some video soon.

I am starting to think about starting lessons again. I just had to work this out on my own. I think when I can get a really balanced counter canter I’ll be ready for the trainer again….

Edited to change 20m circles to 10m.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:59 am

Im still thinking about today’s ride. Those 10 m collected canter circles felt so good. I’m glad I’ve been taking my time with Rocky. Ever since I got interested in dressage, almost all the trainers that I worked with accepted “fast” for forward and also wanted me to shorten my reins by a mile. That never worked for me. I learned a lot from most of those trainers but, I was wearing myself out and still not getting satisfying results.

So, thinking about it, I will probably wait until Rocky can do a fairly good Second 3 before I go back to the trainer. I know this trainer is good and I want to continue with her, but I think we’ll match better when Rocky and I are further along. It’s not that I mind working hard, but i don’t want to spin my wheels anymore. In fact, I don’t have that kind of energy to burn anymore. I’m not going to put a time frame on when I should reach a fairly good (I want more than satisfactory) Second 3. Rocky has been surprising me lately so it may not be to far off.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:15 pm

Demi, that's very exciting!! Sometimes taking a step away on our own can produce great results. I've done that in the past too. It depends on many factors but at the time it was best for riding.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:26 pm

Sounds like really great progress, Demi. Proud of you for sticking with it and figuring what works for YOU and ROCKY. You're the one on riding afterall, not the trainer/coach. Sometimes what one sees from the ground doesn't match up with what one can feel on the horse. Also, just wanted to add that, I did not canter Tio for something like 2 years after my accident with him. In that time we worked on strength and flexibility and responsiveness in the trot and walk. By the time my brain/body was ready to canter him, Tio was ready too, and the canter was actually better than it was when he and I parted company.

Ann, I'm very impressed that you pulled fergal back out of the field. Jingles that his traaining goes better this time, now that he is older and wiser. ;)

Moutaineer, I'm so glad your new barn is working out and that you are making good progress with your pony. I intend to show next year so hoping I get to see you guys.

SF, jingles that Annabelle continues to stay sound and that you continue to progress with Tesla. Amazing how crooked we can become before figuring out how to deal with it! :lol:

Exvet, continued enjoyment of your journey with your lovely ponies.

Whoever I forgot, my apologies. My only report is that Tio is feeling froggy but being reasonably well-behaved. Rudy's eye, after 2 loooong weeks, is finally all healed/cleared up AND visual. We have been blessed with rain, in the meantime, so the ground is wonderfully muddy and slick!

demi

Postby demi » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:55 am

Thanks for the encouragement LSP and SueB! :-)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:55 am

Demi, that sounds like great progress, and that you are choosing a good path forward.

Ann, great that you are getting back on Fergal. Not an easy task at all.

Kudos to Goldhorse too, for cracking the canter code!

And Khall for the W/C transitions.

Lots of impressive progress in this thread!

To add to that, Tesla cantered on both leads tonight. She did a weird little shimmy and kick after the first few strides of right lead, but I just sat quietly and asked her back forward, and she picked the lead up and made it around the short side of the arena, so I promptly praised the heck out of her and hopped off. Looking forward to lessons on Sunday now that both girls are back to work. Hopefully I can get two more rides in T before then as today was only the third time on since she got sick three weeks ago, and clearly time off is not great for her mentality.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:43 pm

Great to see everyone's updates! lots of big strides in canter progress in particular it seems!

RP and I leave for nationals on Tuesday, so I'll be using this weekend to get everything organized and packed. I've gotten spoiled having show grounds near by so it's been ages since i've had to spend the night away for a show. And when you're going home in between, it's also easy if you forget something either at the barn or at home. So, I need to be a bit more organized. I also will probably end up taking more than I need just to be safe (horse things) and warm (human things). Right now there's showing a slight chance of rain, so hoping that changes.

I'm also trying to make sure I put in some good rides with MM, who has been a bit on the back burner this past month. I did some jumping with her yesterday. Not yet the high stuff I am hoping to do more of, but still a nice break from the dressage work and to get our fitness/timing back up for more jumping. I need to set up some tighter gymnastics that make her really sit down and power off instead of getting long and launching.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:38 am

Good to hear from some of you again….Goldhorse, Anne and Demi.

Well, I got Ms. Kyra moved today. She knew something was up yesterday, when I hauled the trailer to the barn to load up a bunch of stuff. I backed the trailer near her pen to load up a bale of hay and she looked at it like it was an alien spacecraft :( . However, today, she marched right on. I love a point and shoot loader. This was only her 3rd trailer trip in like 7 years. She has a mare next to her and today while I was there, there was some pretty mild squealing but no stink eye, biting or kicking so here’s hoping. The gelding on the other side spends a lot of time in his stall only due to foot issues so she can see him but hasn’t met him up close yet. We went for a nice walk around the grounds and nothing particularly bothered her.

Apparently there are several loops of trail in the foothills that we can ride on. Length varies from a quickie 20-30 minute ride to all day. The BM said she would go out with me and show me the loops. That will probably be in the spring as we have already had a bunch of (much needed) rain. That is OK. There are roads through the property with some elevation that we can ride over the winter. probably a good place to start some hill work. She has been a flat lander for years and needs some gradual intro to hills. The arenas are nice. Footing is a little heavy with the rain but no rocks…yeah. We kind of have to start over anyway. She has had very little work since before I went on vacation a month ago.

New barn is clear across the valley…probably about 30 miles and what do I realize but I left my bucket of brushes sitting in the parking lot at the old barn :roll: . It was my last thing to load. I had the brush bucket, a bag of treats, and a bottle of Miracle Groom hanging off the bucket plus the horse’s rope in my hand. I dutifully set them on the right side of the trailer, out of range of the horse should she fart around instead of loading. Of course, she loaded promptly so I walked down the left side of the trailer, got in the truck and drove off. So, on the way home, I drove clear back out to Kuna then to home. Barn owners are out of town so they couldn’t just stick them back in the tack room. Nothing like a tour :P .

Hopefully, I can get back to reporting some actual riding soon. Winter will be a bit challenging without an indoor but a bunch of hand walking if that is all I can do isn’t bad. I need the exercise too. We’ll see.

Susan

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:00 pm

Blob!!! So excited for you. I hope you have a wonderful time and definitely hope you get some photos to share.

Kyra's mom, Glad that's so far the move went well. I hope she continues to settle in.

I ran through my intro test today. It went fine but I think Lynx was getting a bit tired so he was acting pretty spooky. So while the pattern itself is pretty simple I am riding a 4-year-old and will need to actually ride! I still have a few weeks to prepare for the show though thank goodness. I'm extremely rusty.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:53 pm

I’m impressed with the ballerina Kyra. Loading right up! Good girl.

Our lovely collected canter went all to hell yesterday. The weather changed suddenly from high 80’s to low 50’s during the day and down to 36 at night. So I’m giving Rocky the benefit of the doubt. After a10 minute working walk warm up, I asked for trot and she offered me instead a few strides of lovely, lofty collected canter…and then took the bit. She bore down and went into jackhammer trot mode. :? I had been planning on trying some trot lengthenings but no way was that going to happen. I tried a few things (trying to wear her out is futile!) but ended up going back to “ You must WALK stepping under me and DON’T hang on the bit!”

Today was much better but I could still feel her trying to run the show so I didn’t try for any lengthenings :cry:. I was able to make her a little tired by lots of canter and C-T-W transitions and the ride ended nicely.

We’ll see what tomorrow brings.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:45 am

Oh Demi, don’t you just hate that…like where did it come from? I am sure your weather didn’t help. With Kyra, invariably it is tension that causes said jackhammer mode and heavy in the bridle.
Way back when, when I hadn’t yet figured out the mouth issue with Kyra, I could not believe such a refined, ballerina type could get soooo heavy in the bridle. Thank goodness, except for an occassional spook and tension, she seldom does that any more (famous last words with horse at a new barn).

Today when I got to the barn, it was busy. A couple other riders there and a farrier working in the aisle. So I took my time grooming her in her stall. There is a nice tie ring in there. I just lunged her today and did some in-hand work but she was spot on. A bit distracted and a little whinnying (arenas are out of view of the barn) but otherwise didn’t put a foot wrong. The even, rock-less footing was heavenly. She would have been fine to ride but with the aisle full of various activities, I didn’t have to try and thread the needle to get my saddle. The woman that owns the gelding next to Kyra said it usually isn’t that busy. I am going to aim for getting there a little sooner which should help. Kyra had laid down in her pen as judged by the sand on her sides so she must be pretty relaxed. Hay is getting cleaned up so all good signs.

I guess when it rains….I tried this summer to find a new barn and the one barn that actually got back to me and give me a tour and put me on their waiting list called today. They have a small indoor but it looked kind of deep when I looked and ah well, she is already at this new barn so I thanked her for getting back to me and I can call and get put back on the list if needed.

Susan

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:04 am

Wow Susan, your new place sounds nice, and great that Kyra is settling in so well.

Demi - ach, sounds like the 'fresher' weather had Rocky feeling a bit full of herself. I'm so impressed at your progress though, and your focus on correct walk/trot work, which has made such a difference to the canter. So good to hear!

Blob - so excited for you, and looking forward to your show report :-)

Connor was 'opinionated' today... I think 3 days off and spring grass probably didn't help. We were working on some trot SI left (difficult side), and we got some good strides so I went off into a 10m volte, then asked again for SI at the long side and got head-tossing/leaping on the spot. Sent him forward in a big trot for a few circles, then walked and asked for SI again on the long side, and got some nice steps. SI on the right rein was nice however, so we did a few repeats along the long-side (few strides SI, volte, back to SI) and finished for the day.

I rode Fergal outside the round pen today! Not much of a ride, but after 10 mins doing our stuff in the round pen, we opened the gate and followed his 'babysitter' into the adjacent paddock, walked a few circles on each rein around him, and called it quits on a good note. Yay!

MsM
Greenie

Postby MsM » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:50 pm

Sounds like I'm not alone in dealing with weather-changing sillies! My mellow summer horse is morphing into a pushy. hyper winter horse!

So we spent some time doing work and then walking "calmly" Rinse, repeat. Needed reminders that half-halts are still a thing to be respected and faster is not better.

It is nice that now that he has lateral work I can use shoulder-in etc to help rebalance and channel that energy (and help unlock that left side!)

We had worked aa little on flying changes last lesson. He got right to left fairly well but was resistant in the other direction. I was working on simple changes and changes through the trot. Came across the diagonal and Whoops! clean FC r-l! I had guessed volunteering would be an issue with him :) Tried the other direction just to see and didnt get a change until we counter-cantered a circle and I asked again and got a leap-bounce - change late behind. At least he got the idea and made a try! Then he had to gallop a bit and snort with excitement. Walking after that was a challenge, so I got a bit and got off in one piece.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:47 pm

Mr Potters is proving to be quite skilled at using his nice, clean, right to left flying change as an evasion to coming through on the right rein. We are working on it!

I could use the odd jingle. As I was preparing to get on for my lesson yesterday, I pulled my stirrups down and heard a loud pop from my upper arm, accompanied by intense shooting pains. I rode through my lesson, got untacked and got home, but its pretty damned sore. I have reasonable range of motion, but its not reliably weight bearing. Hoping for a strain rather than a tear. Will take it quietly over the weekend and see how it is by Monday... I have a clinic I really want to ride in in 10 days. and my house remodel isn't quite going as planned. I'll whine about that somewhere else, though.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:08 pm

Jingles Mountaineer…I hate it when you have a nice, sound horse and I am the one that is off. Take it easy this weekend.

Susa

demi

Postby demi » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:22 pm

Damn, Mountaineer! Jingles all the way.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:06 pm

Moutaineer, that you that is hurt, not Potters? jingles!

Blob, good luck both organizing, traveling and riding at Nationals.

those enjoying spicy horses, I am in a similar situation, good riding to us!

Straightforward, might Tesla be a bit more naturally energetic if she was a wee bit less chubby? also what bits did you decide on? I'm still waffling.

I acquired a new load of second cutting hay and there was a dramatic cold front so when I had a couple of mild colic I was ready to blame the weather. but no, something in the hay is causing gas. too rich? a specific weed? either way fortunately my hay provider picked it all up and replaced it with the original first cut. having said that. my horses are grumpy as heck that I took away their lovely green hay and out then back on the more course stuff. joys

how everyone is happy and enjoying their rides.

khall, sounds like really are enjoying your girl.

Kyra, good luck at the new barn

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:20 pm

Gee Chisamba that's kind of scary but I'm glad you got it straightened out...........mine would prefer the alfalfa that the horses next door get but they'll have to settle for plain ole Bermuda which is a lot nicer here than what you get on the East coast (still just low NSC hay).

Blob I hope you have lots and lots of fun as well as meet your goals at the Nationals.

Well we got done with the first day of our recognized show and I'm happy to report that we won both of our second level test of choice (rode 2nd 3) and our second level test 3 rides with a 66.7 and 65.8 respectively. The comments were mostly that I need to find a way to get and keep Junior more supple which is true but overall I was very happy with how he did. We at least looked like we belonged at the level we're riding. My daughter was kind enough to video my rides so I hope to post them in a day or two. Junior came home one tuckered out pony because the temps got to 90. I was most proud of him to NOT have a melt down with the carriage show that was going on at the same time. So many of the other horses were freaking out especially with the minis and their carriages; but, Junior could have cared less. On to tomorrow.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:49 am

I don't recommend ignoring that, Moutaineer! Your description matches what happened with my hip nearly word for word ...... I kept running and riding on it, and ran four half marathons before reaching my pain threshold (-‸ლ)

Turned out I tore the labrum, abductor, and abductor cuff.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:43 am

I agree with the others Moutaineer hope you get it all checked out and heal quickly.

Here are the videos from today. First one I scored better but definitely had too much angle in my SI's which I corrected in the second test, just didn't have enough horse left to do as well at the other movements. Still happy with my little engine that could and can ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh4NcW4bsnU

https://youtu.be/8Ol4xn_bdGU

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:40 am

Chisamba wrote:Straightforward, might Tesla be a bit more naturally energetic if she was a wee bit less chubby? also what bits did you decide on? I'm still waffling.

She is actually pretty energetic once that diesel engine warms up. I can only think of one time that she seemed to start getting tired as I did a little too much. It is just the kicking and saying no at the beginning of the ride, then it's almost like a light switch and she says OK and goes. Both girls have gotten chubby though, between time off and someone different doing the morning feed, who is a little too generous. I might cut back on their Strategy, and if that and the back to work doesn't cut it, I'll have to ask for less AM hay. At least I don't have to worry about hard keepers.

ExVet, great scores for 2-3. Looking forward to seeing your videos.

Moutaineer, ouch! Between the shoulder and the stuff at home, what a bummer just as you're getting on track with Potters and the new barn and all. Dang.

Lessons tomorrow on both girls and Annabelle on Monday. Looking forward to it as our last lesson necessarily had to be a little half-baked. Looking forward to it with fingers crossed that Tesla is not a monster as it will be during her turnout time. My last couple rides on Annabelle have been quite nice with getting her more longitudinally supple and in front of the leg. I've kind of lost focus, but ready to get back on track.
Keep calm and canter on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:40 am

Ah, ExVet, it looks like your videos are set to private.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:25 pm

StraightForward wrote:Ah, ExVet, it looks like your videos are set to private.

They should be public now. Thanks for the heads up.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:45 pm

Mountaineer, I hope you are okay. Definitely take it easy and if it doesn't get better go get it checked out. Sounds a little worrisome for sure.

Exvet, I haven't watched the video yet but it sounds like quite a success! Congratulations!! I will watch the video now as I always look forward to watching you and Junior go.

Lynx busted his eyelid open pretty good yesterday. He's okay but it's not pretty. Baby horses!!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:34 pm

exvet wrote:

Thanks for sharing! Really nice, and helpful for me as we prep for our second level debut next year (with my "limited horse" ;) ). I really like the lift you're getting in those W/C transitions.

LSP - yeah, darn baby horses! I hope he heals up quickly and easily.
Keep calm and canter on.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:43 pm

I never set goals. I’ve been cantering more in every lesson. Two years ago Miss A was strung out at the canter, on her forehand, bit between her teeth. Yesterday was full of herself, forward, soft, and round. And I wasn’t afraid. I tried to do a leg yield at the trot but she gave me a beautiful shoulder in. I guess a goal will be developing the SI. Remember that she is 20 and was a schoolhorse for many years.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:47 pm

StraightForward wrote:
exvet wrote:

Thanks for sharing! Really nice, and helpful for me as we prep for our second level debut next year (with my "limited horse" ;) ). I really like the lift you're getting in those W/C transitions.

LSP - yeah, darn baby horses! I hope he heals up quickly and easily.

Thank you. I too was told yesterday that I have a limited horse LOL. My instructor/friend said that she would take Junior in a second if I would give him to her; but, she'd never buy him because he will always be a 65% horse. Funny thing is she didn't have a horse at the show because her one 1st/2nd level Pre is just coming off a long term lameness and her new GP horse which was gifted/loaned to her for being 'special' (re; long history of difficulties) was I guess being so 'special' she changed her plans to school him there..........Moral of the story, Junior is not for sale and I'm very thankful for my limited 65% horse ;) especially since we won our test today, 2nd level test 3 with another 65% and change under a different judge. Honestly I am rather proud of our 65+. We were both so tired. I did better on some movements like the turn on the haunches and transitions into and out of the medium gaits. We had a couple of abrupt moments due to running out of gas, still working on better suppleness but I think we were better today. No video unfortunately.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:50 pm

Silly woman.. It's always easy to be snotty about other people's scores if you never actually get out there and walk the walk.

(There's a prolific poster on CoTH who seems to think that unless you are scoring in the 70s you aren't doing it right. I've never seen a show report from her, however...)

65% is a more than respectable score for those of us that aren't Charlotte Dujardin.

So congratulations and good on you, exvet!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:07 am

Moutaineer wrote:Silly woman.. It's always easy to be snotty about other people's scores if you never actually get out there and walk the walk.

Kind of like the saying amongst the slower joggers... I'm going infinitely faster than the person who's sitting on the couch. ;)

I had good lessons on both girls today. Really working on the throughness and honesty to the outside rein with Annabelle. We did a lot of Canter, trot, and then immediately canter again, as well as C/W/C transitions. She was trying some new evasions with the new level of engagement and straightness, but we worked through it, and tried to leave a little in the tank for another lesson tomorrow.

Tesla offered just enough naughtiness that I was able to get some coaching on how to handle it. Yeah, I was just throwing the reins at her. We ended with a couple left lead canters, then across the diagonal, but trot to the right, then back to the left and canter again. Also worked on keeping the contact when she is trying to duck behind the bit. She said, try to have a conversation with her mouth even if she doesn't really want to talk to you. :lol: Lessons again in three weeks and I'm hoping T will be more back on the straight and narrow by then.
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:09 am

Loved the videos, Exvet. You guys are such a good pair, very inspiring .

I have to say I love my limited horse too. I'm getting ready for my first show in over 16 years and of course the first show ever for Lynx. I tend to get pretty wound up about expectations and letting people down. So as I'm preparing for my show I'm finding that I'm getting a little bit in my head which isn't the best. I was talking to one of my trainers after my lesson and she said you know what it's okay to not be perfect all the time. And it's okay to make mistakes even on Lynx because he's pretty level-headed and easy-going it doesn't really get worked up about anything. He can take a joke which is an ideal amateur horse. And right now with my daughter being 10 and having a bunch of other commitments I feel like it's the perfect type of horse for me right now. I had to sacrifice a little bit on the gaits but it's okay.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:15 am

Thanks for posting the vids, exvet. Congrats. You absolutely should be proud!! Just my own 2 pennies, but I think Jr. is more than a 65% horse. These most recent scores may have been 65ish (and that is admirable!) but when you were riding in the clinic with Lilo, you had him moving like a high 60’s even low 70’s horse. The engine that could is already worth his weight in gold, but I really really think we are seeing just the fringes of what your partnership will be. I’m looking forward to watching you. Yeah, I’m in the fan club!

Return to “Dressage Training”