Dig out the winter gear and finish strong: November/December Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Tanga
500 post plus club

Re: Dig out the winter gear and finish strong: November/December Goals and Progress

Postby Tanga » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:52 pm

Mountaineer Boy I know Melissa's voice! Nice changes. When you get him really on the bit and through, those are going to be amazing. The fact that he did them so nice and through behind without really being there in front is amazing! I agree with Melissa--you have a diamond.

I finally got my videos uploaded from the show three weeks ago. This was a week after when it rained as much in one day as it did all last winter so it's beautiful. Here is Quilla. You may not want to look at the GP because the first 3rd was in super slow mo and the 2nd part is sideways. 2nd part
https://youtu.be/JUV4P_FfJ9c
1st part https://youtu.be/KkzYHUGHLjg
60%, which is fine considering we blew the twos, which we always get and of course really blew the ones.

Here's the I-2 which is all in one at 62%: https://youtu.be/JUV4P_FfJ9c Blew the ones and twos again!

A fair number of 7's on the p/p transitions and passage. You can see some of what I see at home at how good it is, but the issues with shows where it gets what I feel as peg leggy and uneven in the passage and quick in piaffe. But we're getting there, and this is the first time I've ridden with a whip in years (I didn't actually use it) and she didn't blow a gasket. But I'm using it to help cue her to better p/p and work through it. The only thing I'm a bit disappointed with is some 5's and 6's on pirouettes which I think look good to better, and nothing over a 7. This is something I've noticed over the last few years is that few judges are going over 7's unless it's a hugely fabulous horse. I see some 8's in there in the transitions and pirouettes .

But it was good feedback, and was REALLY working on position, though these were my 3rd and 4th rides, so I think I wasn't as good. You can see me leaning forward in the ones and halfway through correcting myself, and then she started being late on the right hind! Sigh.
Last edited by Tanga on Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Re: Dig out the winter gear and finish strong: November/December Goals and Progress

Postby Tanga » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:08 pm

And here is Quinn.

The PSG I was working on super steady and up, and steady position and her comments were that I had ridden much better but the canter was flat and transitions need clearer, which I agree as I was going for quiet. 63.5% Video link
https://youtu.be/UFdCgnoPRIo The only thing I don't agree on is e 6 and 5 for the half pirouettes! I don't see it.

I-1 64% https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VN6EcI9m8E Just FYI, 4 on first pirouette, which she fell out of, and a 7 on the 2nd.
Last edited by Tanga on Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3horse
Greenie

Postby 3horse » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:27 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!! I look forward to getting to know you all better.

I rode Stormy today for about 10 minutes at the end of our lunging session and he was such a good boy!! He felt a little wiggly but there was no head tossing. He was eager to stretch down, although he did want to root a little bit (I'll take that over his head tossing). This first "ride" has seemed like a long time coming, so I am super happy.

@StraightForward, I have two QHs and two Arabians so I can just imagine how your guy looks and interacts with his pasturemates. :)

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby khall » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:51 pm

3horse welcome! What a cutie your Arab is! I hope your rehab goes well with him
Mountaineer omg Potters is the bomb! He sure does have a sense of humor:) and lots of fun buttons:):). Love the trainer you were working with!

I was able to upload my video of Joplin and I from last weekend. So what we are working on here is to keep a bit slower trot in the lateral work but to also push the trot a bit in the counter SI ( with Gaila we did similar work but pushed in SI). Joplin can be a powerhouse so we are working on her staying with me and not always offering the power. Was really happy with her work here staying in this balance in the lateral work and when I stretched her out and you can see me check her periodically by offering the reins forward for a step or two. Cedar was very happy with the changes we’ve made since the last clinic in September in her self carriage and that she is steadier in the bridle and staying more out to the bridle.

https://youtu.be/MCXO_-RgzhI

Mountaineer yes for sure it is lovely to have had these generations in my life. Joplin’s grand dam was the first horse I ever started under saddle myself I was all of 18 at the time. I also started Anna Joplin’s dam and Joplin with the fabulous help of Cedar Potts-Warner these last few years. This has been 36 years of my life from Lis to Anna to Joplin.

I’m so mad at myself though. I had lost 20 lbs during covid and now have put it back on again. Ugh middle age post menopause sucks

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:16 pm

Moutuneer I like your positive trainer. thanks for sharing

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:04 pm

Yup, Tanga, "through" at the canter is a next goal. "Canter without trying to kill me" needed to be achieved first :) He is turning into such a nice horse as we get to know each other better and he feels he can trust me. And he has so much to teach me.

Melissa C was super to work with. A very perceptive teacher, and interesting to get the judges perspective too.

First really cold winter day today. Horses were on their toes. Lunging first seemed like a good move! Once done, we had a nice, sensible, enjoyable ride, noodling around having fun on a non training day.

3horses, welcome. Your horse is a pretty boy! Potters is my first foray into the Arab Sporthorse world. Apparently the dressage classes at breed shows get pretty good judges, I'm told, but we haven't ventured forth yet.

Khall and Tanga, I have some videos to watch when I am on my laptop rather than my phone!

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:41 am

Tanga wrote:And here is Quinn.

The PSG I was working on super steady and up, and steady position and her comments were that I had ridden much better but the canter was flat and transitions need clearer, which I agree as I was going for quiet. 63.5% Video link
https://youtu.be/UFdCgnoPRIo The only thing I don't agree on is e 6 and 5 for the half pirouettes! I don't see it.

I-1 64% https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VN6EcI9m8E Just FYI, 4 on first pirouette, which she fell out of, and a 7 on the 2nd.

I really liked these tests, she seems nice and settled and steadier in her way of going. Your riding looks nice too. Was there comments for the piris in the PSG? It thought they were worth higher scores than that too.

The other videos wont work for me, I think they try and go to your video studio on youtube.

I haven't been up to a great deal with mine, but have been reading this thread.
Blob, lovely pics! Congrats on going to the show etc. It's a big deal getting organised to go and then getting through it all.
Khall, nice to see Joplin, she is a powerhouse! Looking to be going well.
Mountaineer, great to see vid of Potters too. He is very cool. Love him! Thanks for sharing vid.
Rye - nice to see your pic and that you are getting back into it too.
Lipsmacker- congrats on doing your first show!
3horse, welcome and keep us updated with your Stormy.
Plenty I haven't mentioned, but I am reading everyone's updates.

This is our second year out of drought and we have lots of grass!!! I haven't bought hay for over a year now which is amazing. I've been more careful with keeping the horses weight under control, I think Ding was a touch laminitic last year and I dont want that to happen again.

We've been in covid lockdown for quite a while, and then with the wetter weather, things have been cancelled. But I did go away camping for a weekend to a little WEQ competition with Ding, which was a lot of fun with good people.
252613879_4483246385102725_9105848084229277353_n.jpeg
252613879_4483246385102725_9105848084229277353_n.jpeg (97.34 KiB) Viewed 6202 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:31 am

Tanga, thank you for uploading and sharing the videos, lots of admiration for you. You have both your mares competing in the FEI, which is super impressive. does Quilla tend to be hollow right in the changes? would that interfere with your accuracy? would being a bit straighter help. let me state that I am simply happy to have 3 changes in a straight.line at the moment, so please just consider my observation if you find it helpful.

Moutaineer, lovely to see your half pass to change. so calm ! I agree with Tanga that he will be quite flashy when you have him a bit more through.

Blob, you and your pony look so elegant, and really brought. back memories of riding regionals at Kentucky horse park. didn't you hack around at all?

3horse, welcome. I had quite a few years showing and training Egyptian Arabians. back in the day when Patrick Swayze made it cool. lol. My Intermediare horse was an Anglo Arab, but his sire was Crabbet bred. I have some photos in my archives of me riding in my Arab days. Stormy is very elegant with a lovely eye.

Flight, super to hear an update. I have missed your snippets of training video.

straightforward, Demi I enjoy your updates and khall, nice to see you cantering on Joplin. excellent progress.

my update: Caliburn somehow managesvto.progress despite his unfortunate conformation.

Saiph and I are working on controlled uphill changes that are obedient. I get great extemporaneous tempi, but am less skilled at the where and when of it all.

Kimba is nailing the single flying change, finally, but is still not calm and relaxed about it. I envy Potters/ Moutaineer.

meanwhile I am still struggling to get fit enough to ride 8 horses a day. it's different at 60 than it was at 30!!. I am.more skilled and wiser, but less fit and flabbier. I'm inviting a mutual chuckle.

I hope my 3 stay sound enough for me to join Tanga, Flight and everyone else in the FEI.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

in closing I cannot express how thankful I am for all that horses have brought into my life. From earliest memories riding with my family. through glory days of showing. to firm long standing friends and days of doing what I love. to paraphrase Churchill, no hour of life is wasted that is spent with horses.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:39 pm

So many awesome and awe-inspiring updates from the group. Thank you for sharing! Wishing you all a good holiday in the US and good season ahead.

My mini update is that Emi is feeling more and more like a real horse. Her canter work keeps improving and her overall strength is well beyond where it was a few months ago. Time and slow steady work is powerful!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:06 pm

Maia has been on an extended break (and acting like it :evil: ) between my work schedule, vertigo, and travel plans. We have been riding, but not often or frequently enough to make an impression on her brain. My time should open up in the next few weeks.

My hiking buddy and I have started making tangible progress on our Appalachian Trail quest — we're section hiking — and hope to have another 150 or so miles knocked off before DH and I relocate next fall. That destination is in the air again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ My only request is I need a direct Southwest flight to DC so we can continue knocking off miles on the AT :D

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:05 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Yup, Tanga, "through" at the canter is a next goal. "Canter without trying to kill me" needed to be achieved first :) He is turning into such a nice horse as we get to know each other better and he feels he can trust me. And he has so much to teach me.

I get that one! I am working on that with Quinn, as "through" her often seems t mean put your head down and go really fast and hard, which is really scary! I have made lot of progress with the trust thing with her, too, so I get that. You have great one.
Last edited by Tanga on Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:07 pm

Flight wrote:
I really liked these tests, she seems nice and settled and steadier in her way of going. Your riding looks nice too. Was there comments for the piris in the PSG? It thought they were worth higher scores than that too.

The other videos wont work for me, I think they try and go to your video studio on youtube.

The comments were " labored coming out" and" very large," which I found very weird and don't know how to make it look better. I just don't get it. I fixed the Quilla videos. I guess I posted while they were still in edit. You should be able to see them now.

Chisamba--Quinn isn't hollow to the right, but you spotted the problem. Something happened about a year ago which I still haven't quite figured out, but thought might have been pulling something in the back, or chest, or maybe is out in the neck? For some shows after that it was like the changes to the right were zinging her and she was tight and slamming down on that side. I have been going back and forth on working on it and trying to fix it, but you see the issue where she throws her haunches more to the right, and I have probably overcorrected in bad ways! It's worse in the 4's, then 3's, and pretty straight in the two's. Thus my winter goal is straight, straight straight and get stronger.

And I must say, Chisamba, I am so impressed you can manage to ride 8 a day! I am almost 60 and I just could not do it. When I was younger it didn't seem a big deal, but now I cannot. Maybe it's my back issues, but I bow down to your strength and stamina.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:20 pm

heddylamar wrote:Maia has been on an extended break (and acting like it :evil: ) between my work schedule, vertigo, and travel plans. We have been riding, but not often or frequently enough to make an impression on her brain. My time should open up in the next few weeks.

My hiking buddy and I have started making tangible progress on our Appalachian Trail quest — we're section hiking — and hope to have another 150 or so miles knocked off before DH and I relocate next fall. That destination is in the air again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ My only request is I need a direct Southwest flight to DC so we can continue knocking off miles on the AT :D

the AT passes less than a mile from my home , the part on the NY, NJ border. it's walking distance . pop in.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:25 pm

Tanga wrote:
And I must say, Chisamba, I am so impressed you can manage to ride 8 a day! I am almost 60 and I just could not do it. When I was younger it didn't seem a big deal, but now I cannot. Maybe it's my back issues, but I bow down to your strength and stamina.

only twice a week. the other days it's just 4 or 5. ( because the owners ride their own horses) and only one is green. the rest are sane and a pleasure

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:34 am

Ha ha Chisamba 'just' 4 or 5!!!!! You have my full respect for doing what you do :-)

Fergal and I continue to gain confidence in the bigger space of the arena, and have done a couple of short rides 'out' around our place, so I'm pretty chuffed with our progress. Yesterday I could get the bend much better on both right and left circles, and his rhythm was also better. Walk is very prone to be lateral (need to check in on LSP's 'improving the walk' thread!), so plenty to work on there.

trot-right.jpg
trot-right.jpg (61.7 KiB) Viewed 6113 times

trot-left.jpg
trot-left.jpg (58.79 KiB) Viewed 6113 times

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:19 am

Anne, you guys look great! How awesome that he's improving so steadily right now! So exciting.

Lynx had a Thanksgiving day ride today and my husband went along to get some photos and video. I'm fighting my position something awful right now (even though I'm riding more than ever/taking 2 to 3 lessons a week..) I have some physical issues that are getting worse including numbness on my right seatbone area so getting to the doctor asap.

But Lynx is just looking stronger everyday! Such a good boy.
Attachments
IMG_20211125_141114_copy_230x254.png
IMG_20211125_141114_copy_230x254.png (95.01 KiB) Viewed 6109 times
Screenshot_20211125-215409~3_copy_318x300.png
Screenshot_20211125-215409~3_copy_318x300.png (123.66 KiB) Viewed 6109 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:12 am

I love reading the posts but I adore the posts with photos!

Anne, kudos on your progress with Fergal.

LSP 88. He looks better every time!

demi

Postby demi » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:00 pm

I agree with Chisamba! Love the pics. Both Fergal and Lynx are looking good. And so nice to get a pic of Ding! I’ve missed seeing you and your guys, Flight.

Anne, what kind of boots are those? My full size arena has a lot of rocks. I have a nice small arena but really need the big one for riding the tests. I’ve been thinikng about using boots to prevent stone bruising.

Tanga, you’ve done so well with your mares! Thanks for sharing the vids, and your insight. Your tests look good, and that back drop! Wow.

Piedmont, you mentioned the power of time and slow, steady work. Yes. I am so happy with the work Rocky is giving me. I’ve certainly been taking my time with Rocky (she’s 14 and I just now feel that I might be able to show first level :lol: ) But still, I’m excited about the effort she is giving me. She is an alpha type mare, from a hot Arabian stallion out of a definite alpha AQHA dam. Her QH grandsire was noted for his athleticism and temperamental disposition. Combining that with her downhill conformation, I think the main reason she gives me everything she’s got when we work, is that I’ve taken my time. I think she would have advanced quickly with a good professional, but I also think she could have gotten very pissy if she was pushed to fast. And that pissy attitude would have not allowed her pretty Araby trot to be easily and freely forward. She still doesn’t really understand why I want her to move off her hind end AND lift her forehand, but she is doing it more, better, and for longer periods of time. And she is so happy about it. When I tell her”good girl”, often she’ll nicker.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:48 pm

I had a goofy horse spook and spin just as I was mounting. it did result in an unscheduled Dismount. is it still a fall if I landed on my feet? I had my.left hand holding the rein at the wither and serm to have wrenched my shoulder. I couldn't get the saddle on Cali or Saiph so had to resort to one handed riding with a thin line bareback pad. it's such an interesting test of connection, riding with one hand. my client horse, Tango was super good with one hand. Saiph, less so. she decided it was very easy to look at stuff and that I couldn't correct her with one hand. we had a bit of a discussion about that ( a rather rude inelegant thump with my leg aids) after about 10 minutes she relaxed and draped into a connection.

oh well after tonight I have a couple of nights off to heal. I hope none of my individuals need to be lifted tonight.

cold windy weather, grumble grumble. complain, complain!!

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:23 pm

Well Chisamba my hat is off to you as I'm always impressed with an unscheduled dismount that leaves one still standing ;) but I'm sorry you were injured in the process. I also am impressed with the fact that you continued to ride the others. At one time I would have persevered but I'm not so sure I'm likely to do so anymore.

Well for those with patience here is a video clip from Brandon's ride on Wednesday. Pivo was NOT cooperating. I did get it sorted out today but our canter departs today were much uglier than the other day. We had quite a bit going on next door today so I think the distractions and the fact that we had just finished a 4-mile trail ride had Brandon a bit tired. So, I decided to post the clip from Wednesday here in order to show some of our improvement from the last time despite pivo losing me a few times. The gaps give all a great opportunity to see what small horse property in Arizona can look like LOL.

More to the training, Brandon is stronger. Though he's not 100% accepting the bit, he's far better than he was 3-4 months ago. He can also canter a 20-meter circle without breaking to the trot. He's still trying to figure things out and I'm doing my best to get him to step from my inside leg to my outside hand. There's less motorcycle tendency to fall over the inside shoulder as well. Still loads of room for improvement in maintaining the appropriate tempo and also, we're continuing to work on 'not running' into the canter. Baby steps.......always baby steps.

https://youtu.be/nThUstIeIKs

khall

Postby khall » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:46 am

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving full of food and family!

Chisamba ouch! My DH would call that an emergency landing. I hope your shoulder comes right soon. I love riding one handed. Though canter can be a bit scary to do so it is something I need to continue to cultivate because of WE

So a bit of an interesting canter moment Wednesday. Was just doing a light lunge in one of my hay fields asking Joplin to canter on. She can be a bit lazy on the lunge. She loves to have a level head and neck so she can stretch out in this huge long stride. Being mindful of wanting her to learn to change her balance I gave an up ward lift of the lunge and she came up in a much better balance. Now I don’t usually use SRs just don’t feel the need to usually This is pretty much what Cedar was having me do with both my girls US to encourage the change of balance along with my change in seat. Cedar wants the horses to be in self carriage not relying on the riders hand to maintain their carriage.

Tanga thanks for sharing! Some nice tests there. I agree with the piris in the psg. I thought they were very nice. Your position though. You’ve made very good positive changes!!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:19 am

Exvet, Brandon looks great! A lot of nice changes since you last posted any video. Thank you for sharing.

Tanga, I admired your videos. Very nice riding and even better than before. You are an inspiration.

Khall, I have been wanting to lunge Lynx in the field as he can be very lazy on the lunge.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:59 am

Thanks LSP....Brandon has filled out and is doing a wee bit better but he is definitely not going to be one to give anything away for free, well except perhaps the free walk, LOL. I think I'm due that.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:36 am

Demi, they are Old Mac's G2 boots, with gaiters. They seem to work pretty well for us, and are fairly forgiving to fit, and durable (this pair is about 8 years old!, not 8 years of continual use, but they have surely done a good number of miles).

Ouch Chisamba, hope you are doing OK with the shoulder today.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:29 am

Ouch Chisamba. Take care of that shoulder.

I am still fighting my hip/back. I think I have trochanteric bursitis and thus far, the PT hasn't helped that. He has worked out some other kinks but the hip is still is not happy. Both hips for that fact but left >> right. I am fine most of the time if I just don't lay on either side at night. My Mom got us a Theragun mini for Christmas and that seems to be helping so I will keep pummeling myself with that. It feels pretty good.

That said, I have gotten more riding in since I moved Kyra than in the previous 2 months (She moved 3 weeks ago). Having good footing has been heavenly.
She has been working so well. NIcely forward and supple. I am still trying to get some base fitness on her...and me. I am pathetic but just have to keep plugging away. My body doesn't react to exercise like it did 20 years ago. It is much slower to respond.

I have been pleased and actually quite amazed how well Kyra has settled in to a stall situation. I have had one day where she was tense and tight but nothing horrible. I just chose not to canter that day fearing it would be a bit of the jackhammer canter. I have had to change our warm-up and cool down to include many more minutes of walking since she can't self exercise like at the old barn. I swear though, she looks at me like where have these accommodations been all my life (having a stall) :lol: . I really need to get her bib clipped and put in her lightweight blanket on her. She hasn't gotten really sweaty but damp enough. We still haven't had very cold temps...they haven't even put out the heated buckets at the barn. Having at least a bib clip might prevent her from getting so damp.

I really enjoy seeing the pictures. Hopefully, by Spring, I can get a PIVO and start videoing us.

Happy riding all.

Susan

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:29 pm

I got to take my usual Thanksgiving rides this year; even if it was a bit frosty it was so much fun! In the morning we (ds, his gf, my sister, riding friend, her dh and a lovely man who was recovering from a heart attack) participated in the Turkey Trot, along with my 3 dogs and friend's 2 dogs. It was in the teens when we started, but not windy and not cloudy, so quite comfy weather overall. I left every one behind and did fast walking, trying to get in under 50 minutes, but I had to stop a couple times to help random people get pictures at the mile markers (that's my excuse anyway) so I came in at 52 minutes. Ah well, next year!

Given the cool weather, the boys were a little keyed up. I warmed Rudy up by letting him do his roadster trot in the field across the way and I lunged Tio before climbing aboard. Schooling Rudy, mainly worked on getting a solid "2nd trot" that he could maintain throughout lateral movements and enter medium trot from. He's super fun when he's "up" but relaxed. I was tempted to throw in a little passage, but decided that was an unfair ask when he was being so cooperative and so fun. He really wanted to flying changes for some reason, I suppose because he had so much jump in his canter. Just did one each direction though cuz I am really good at screwing up the changes. Tio, otoh, was a touch more than cheeky. I almost took him to the field after warming up in the trot in the arena. Thankfully, I changed my mind...something didn't feel quite "right." Minutes after making that decision, he exploded into full rodeo bucking horse mode, complete with grunts. Not only did I ride through them, however, I wasn't even unseated at all! Soon as I got him under control, I put him into si on the 20m circle in the trot, but same spot (by the evil grape vines) he started to uncork again! This time, he quickly changed his mind and basically put himself back to work! :lol: Third time around, he simply hesitated for a moment, 4th time around he only flicked an ear. I gotta admit, however, I chickened out cantering him that day.

I love all the awesome pictures you guys are posting and all the great reports. So much fun and so inspiring to read.

Chisamba, I hope your shoulder feels better very soon.

blob

Postby blob » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:15 am

Great to see so much great progress and pictures and videos despite cold temperatures!

Welcome 3horse, looking forward to seeing more of you and your handsome boy around here
Chisamba--that sounds like an impressive landing, but I hope your shoulder is feeling better! i too am impressed that you ride so many in a day, especially as the weather gets cold!
Tanga--those are some nice rides. Quinn is looking steadier and stronger than the last tests you shared.
Khall--so fun to see Joplin work. She sure is a pretty girl. Sounds like you had a good last clinic of the year. I don't know if I told you already, but I did see Cedar ride at finals. I believe she had two horses, but I only saw her with one--I don't remember his name but he was an almost completely white gray horse--looked like an iberian breed.
Flight--I had been missing your updates, so glad to hear from you and to see a picture of lovely Ding. He looks wonderful.
Anne--Fergal looks is so handsome, glad to hear there is more progress
Exvet--Brandon definitely looks much stronger in the contact, even if he is not fully confident yet, he seems to be making clear progress.
LSP--lynx is looking good and quiet. He seems to be such a willing horse
Sue--oh my, what an adventure you ended up with! Glad Rudy settled down!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:16 am

exvet wrote:Thanks LSP....Brandon has filled out and is doing a wee bit better but he is definitely not going to be one to give anything away for free, well except perhaps the free walk, LOL. I think I'm due that.

Lol I was eyeballing that free walk! Very jealous of that right now :lol:

khall

Postby khall » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:34 am

Blob yes Cedar rides for JP Giacomini who breeds Andalusians and Lusitanos. She was riding Zorro and Orion. Full brothers former stallions. She trained Zorro from start to GP JP trained Orion. Zorro has more Iberian movement that the judges are not too fond of Orion has bigger movement that scores better though in the GP finals she said one judge was scoring him much lower than the other two judges. Would have been higher in the finals if the judges had been more aligned but that is horse showing! What’s amazing about Cedar is that she never really showed until 2019 when she quickly stepped out into FEI then into the GP. It’s not what she wants to focus on but does it to promote the farm. She loves the day to day training and teaching which she is very good at. Both of her horses are grey.

One of her first FS with Orion
https://fb.watch/9yIDO5VRR3/

Zorro one tempis. He’s also the one she was riding bridleless that I posted

https://fb.watch/9yIJo-9xk0/

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:04 am

Ugh, Chisamba, welcome to the shoulder injury club. I'm happy to report mine is doing better, but it's taking a boringly long time and I'm having to be very careful to not over-stress it--which isn't easy!

blob

Postby blob » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:06 pm

Khall--i see that saying gray didn't narrow it down! I think I saw zorro as that freestyle is not the same one I saw. I saw her non FS as well on one of them, so possible I saw both on different days. One of the judges in that class was scoring everyone lower--just working on a more conservative scale it seems.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:30 pm

Still catching up! I just watched Quinn and Tanga's PSG test.

First, I have to say: How awesome to ride and record in such a beautiful setting with such fabulous lighting! We all want this to happen on show/clinic day :-) I can totally imagine a lovely painting of Quinn dancing by the palm trees/under the mountains.

Tanga, I really like your work. It struck me that both you and your mare were focused, capable, and workmanlike. That is a very big deal! Yes, more power and expression is needed for more ## scores. But I liked your commitment and teamwork together. Also, for me, I saw a very good job of a rider carrying her own hands. Very well done.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:30 pm

Still catching up! I just watched Quinn and Tanga's PSG test.

First, I have to say: How awesome to ride and record in such a beautiful setting with such fabulous lighting! We all want this to happen on show/clinic day :-) I can totally imagine a lovely painting of Quinn dancing by the palm trees/under the mountains.

Tanga, I really like your work. It struck me that both you and your mare were focused, capable, and workmanlike. That is a very big deal! Yes, more power and expression is needed for more ## scores. But I liked your commitment and teamwork together. Also, for me, I saw a very good job of a rider carrying her own hands. Very well done.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:34 pm

demi wrote:I’ve certainly been taking my time with Rocky (she’s 14 and I just now feel that I might be able to show first level :lol: ) But still, I’m excited about the effort she is giving me. And she is so happy about it. When I tell her”good girl”, often she’ll nicker.

That is so cool! Emi loves being told "you look really good doing that!" or "you are beautiful when you work like this!". But it's usually just snorts and extra-wide thoughtful ears :-)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:07 am

Had lessons on both girls today. Tesla was so good! She only stalled out once on me, but got moving again pretty easily. The past couple weeks have been so tough with her that I was just throwing the reins at her when I'd ask for canter, but now it's time to start collecting the trot up and asking for a little SI to get her using her hind leg and stepping up into the canter instead of launching in for a huge trot (which I can't sit to apply proper canter aids). I'm actually feeling OK riding her without the martingale or safety vest, so that is progress! She has some soreness in her haunches on the right in particular, but it seems to be getting better with work. I'm going to try to get the bodyworker who has more machines to come out and do PEMF. I'm also going to put both girls on GutX for a bit to see if I notice any differences. Annabelle isn't doing anything that makes me think she needs it, but since I ordered two gallons, might as well see if anything changes with a couple weeks on the loading dose.
Keep calm and canter on.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:43 am

piedmontfields wrote:Tanga, I really like your work. It struck me that both you and your mare were focused, capable, and workmanlike. That is a very big deal! Yes, more power and expression is needed for more ## scores. But I liked your commitment and teamwork together. Also, for me, I saw a very good job of a rider carrying her own hands. Very well done.

Totally agree with piedmontfields, Tanga. Great rides, and thanks for posting your videos.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

demi

Postby demi » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:12 pm

I used my western tack for hill work yesterday, expecting Rocky’s self carriage to be the same as it was last week with the western tack. But it wasn’t. Right after I mounted, she was perky and wanted to go, but as soon as we got the the gate to go to the hill, she dropped back into her “western frame”, with a lowered head and neck. I didnt try to change it, but let her do the hill however she wanted to carry herself. Last week we did the hill 4 times and she was working hard by the fourth time. Yesterday I asked her for 5X’s. I’ll go back to arena work today and then trail ride a little I’ll the dressage tack afterwords so she doesn’t think that trail work now means hard hill work. Maybe I think overthink her attitude….but I want to keep her happy. I may drop back to only 3 X’s up the hill next week. It isn’t very steep but it’s long.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:47 am

Mr Potters was in cheerful and cooperative mode today. I feel that we are making steady and incremental progress since we've been in this training regime. Nothing astounding, but progress, nonetheless.

(I sincerely hope this to be the case, as I am in a state of near constant exhaustion and collapse in to bed like a dead person 4 nights a week :) Potters not so much!)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:44 am

I was wondering if you could see a change in the shape of his topline. I I was taking photos for a potential buyer and he turned his head away. in fact I have about 10 goofy photos. I was cleaning up my photo library and thought I'd ask what you think. I added a photo for comparison.

I usually am quite skeptical about how much you can remodel the topline. I know you can improve condition and muscling but reshaping is more complicated, but if I zoom in on his coupling, loin and croup area my rose colored glasses want to believe there is improvement.
Attachments
Resized_b349693a-70d0-4a7d-a110-6229d27eb2b0_3419(1)_320x240.jpg
Resized_b349693a-70d0-4a7d-a110-6229d27eb2b0_3419(1)_320x240.jpg (62.33 KiB) Viewed 5771 times
20210918_143114-01_320x278.jpeg
20210918_143114-01_320x278.jpeg (110.11 KiB) Viewed 5772 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:32 am

Moutaineer wrote:Mr Potters was in cheerful and cooperative ..

(I sincerely hope this to be the case, as I am in a state of near constant exhaustion and collapse in to bed like a dead person 4 nights a week :) Potters not so much!)

I completely identify with this. I'm tired and the horses are telling me " suck it up buttercup, the weather is cool and we can go all day"

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:07 pm

Chisamba wrote:I was wondering if you could see a change in the shape of his topline. I I was taking photos for a potential buyer and he turned his head away. in fact I have about 10 goofy photos. I was cleaning up my photo library and thought I'd ask what you think. I added a photo for comparison.

I usually am quite skeptical about how much you can remodel the topline. I know you can improve condition and muscling but reshaping is more complicated, but if I zoom in on his coupling, loin and croup area my rose colored glasses want to believe there is improvement.

I believe I see definite improvement; which imo is due to the improved muscling. The muscles of his pelvic girdle are definitely larger and in better condition and this includes his loin & croup area. Remodeling of bone does take place as muscle attachments become stronger and are in use regularly but this is much much subtler and can only really be documented with imagery such as radiographs or the like.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:41 pm

He looks amazing Chisamba! Since the scapula aren't attached by bone, a strengthened thoracic sling and literally lift the whole front carcass up and the scapula widen at the top to make room. It looks like that has happened with him.
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:06 pm

Definitely see an improvement! Good job Chisamba, that's inspiring. He's lucky to have you.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:16 pm

He looks amazing Chisamba. Definitely more muscling on his topline in addition to muscled out hind end and shoulders. I definitely think some degree of bone remodeling occurs in addition to pronounced muscular changes.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:39 pm

Wow! Absolutely a difference! He looks great!

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:39 pm

I'm not a strong bio/med person so I'll defer on the topic of bone remodeling or not, but wow what a transformation, Chisamba! I do think that improved musculature can lead to better postures, which improves the visual but more importantly function.

Lots of great progress in this thread to date.

As for me, am finally enjoying some fall temperatures and loving them. Q is getting stronger and more confident in his strength, which is leading to some really nice moments-- although we're still a ways away from being able to string lots of those moments together). But the real accomplishment is...

...drumroll optional but appreciated...

We've got clean flying changes, y'all.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:05 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:I'm not a strong bio/med person so I'll defer on the topic of bone remodeling or not, but wow what a transformation, Chisamba! I do think that improved musculature can lead to better postures, which improves the visual but more importantly function.

Lots of great progress in this thread to date.

As for me, am finally enjoying some fall temperatures and loving them. Q is getting stronger and more confident in his strength, which is leading to some really nice moments-- although we're still a ways away from being able to string lots of those moments together). But the real accomplishment is...

Who hoo!
I AM the resident bone biologist, or former as the case maybe....but just like anything each horse is unique. This the the first I am hearing of dressage work increasing bone density. Also, one must ask- do you mean coritcal bone thickness? Spongy bone? Both? I would say there can be too much of a good thing. I would say nutrition is probably a greater factor than training time
https://vetpro.co.nz/improving-bone-density/

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:53 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:

Woohoo that is so awesome!! Yay for you and Queso! How exciting. :)

I had a lesson on a different horse today. Everytime I ride something else, I think "I like my horse so much!" Which is great. Every horse has something to teach us though and I'm very grateful to ride others occasionally. But it's nice when you realize that your horse is developing into a ride you enjoy too.

I worked on transitions as this horse is a Percheron cross, so can go from behind the leg to pulling/running on the forehand. A bit tricky to balance but good moments there. I played with sitting less into the downward as I think I got to sitting a bit too much and maybe in a driving type way (or less clear.) It worked much better, just focused on my core more.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:53 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:

Woohoo that is so awesome!! Yay for you and Queso! How exciting. :)

I had a lesson on a different horse today. Everytime I ride something else, I think "I like my horse so much!" Which is great. Every horse has something to teach us though and I'm very grateful to ride others occasionally. But it's nice when you realize that your horse is developing into a ride you enjoy too.

I worked on transitions as this horse is a Percheron cross, so can go from behind the leg to pulling/running on the forehand. A bit tricky to balance but good moments there. I played with sitting less into the downward as I think I got to sitting a bit too much and maybe in a driving type way (or less clear.) It worked much better, just focused on my core more.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:53 am

Yippee for Queso (and you for being a good teacher)!

Chisamba. I will confess my ignorance--I've always thought a good topline was well-developed muscling--I mean, assuming functional conformation, I don't see what else it can be.

However, he looks really good and a big difference from the first picture--the base of the neck and over the withers is very obviously much more developed and defined, and the loin/croup. Nice job!

(This is what we strive for daily with Potters. I think it's working, but it's not a quick process. Especially not with a horse with supermodel tendencies. I'm really struggling to get a bit more meat on his bones so he's got something to turn into muscle. Changing up his feed this week to add a lot more fat content and hoping that will help, in addition to the vast amounts of premium alfalfa mix hay he is chomping his way through three times a day. I wish I had his metabolism.)

LSP, I hear you. I watch other horses go in lessons and clinics, and am so happy that I'm riding my horse!

Return to “Dressage Training”