Dig out the winter gear and finish strong: November/December Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Aleuronx
Herd Member

Re: Dig out the winter gear and finish strong: November/December Goals and Progress

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:16 pm

I think it's a interesting concept to discuss! Yes to lowering the hips to get a horse off the forehand. Yet if you have low and pinning hands that are not allowing the shoulders to come up and through then lowering the hips doesn't get you there 100%.

As with most things it's more complicated then just one piece of the puzzle. That's been my experience, taken with salt grains

exvet
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Dig out the winter gear and finish strong: November/December Goals and Progress

Postby exvet » Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:23 pm

Junior and I had another lesson yesterday. He was a wee bit of a stinker pony. Nothing naughty but he was not convinced that I was serious about working. It finally sunk in, and he was giving me consistently good medium gaits and overall, the canter has really improved. Much of the lesson revolved around lateral work with lots of medium work coming out of the lateral - trying to maintain the impulsion throughout our work. We worked on more half-pass in both trot and canter. I must say that now having a horse that has a longer frame (Brandon) than the fireplug (Junior) does really highlights for me how challenging keeping Junior's shoulders leading will always be. There is simply no room for forgiveness and as we know his go to is to keep his left hind out of the picture. Of course, that is where our work was also focused, keeping the left hind engaged. I got the thumbs up, however, on our canter half passes so it looks like our work is paying off. We also got some clean flying changes with one getting the comment BEAUTIFUL from my (L grad) instructor :)

Demi, I hope to play in your new video thread but currently our arena and entire yard is a disaster with all the rain we've had and there's more to come. I really need to take a video of Brandon because I need to see if what I'm feeling in the canter is what's happening LOL - he's got a pretty big jump (quick hind leg) when ridden into the contact. No big surprise, though, he really likens the thoroughbred drop and go style of cantering when left to his own choices. Since we're building his strength and balance, I try to be judicious in what I insist on in terms of just how correct he needs to be right now. So while Brandon is still built downhill and for all I know this is where he'll always be because he's only got a little more growing to do, it's Junior who is NOT built downhill that I have to worry more about engaging the hind end AND lifting his forehand correctly.

I think you've done a fab job on Rocky first of all and her muscling really shows that much of what you're doing is paying off with correct development. I will add though that the bracing of the underside of the neck can be difficult to train away from and Junior is a classic example. While he's not built downhill, he is a breed that far prefers to throw into the chest and shoulders to do anything and thus use the underside of his neck especially at the base to create power. I'm at a point now that while I can get him to lift up through the withers, he also wants to lift his poll in order to lift his thoracic sling and mostly at the canter. I'm losing the cycle of energy going up out through the poll. So, while 'poll at the highest point and open gullet' is the goal and is being achieved, we've got too much of a good thing going on and it's becoming a wee bit of a speed bump in our progress. To lift the withers and the poll, Junior is still confused and using the underside of his neck for some of the 'lift' which instead he needs to come over his back even more to allow the energy to flow properly. This is where I now must focus on RELAXATION and loss of tension so that we can complete the cycle and move correctly, consistently stride per stride. So the bracing of the underside of his neck even a little bit (the tension is much less than it was) the energy that is supposed to be coming over his back is being blocked. The good news is that we're getting there. I mention this because I do think I created my own problem as a result of so many years of refusing to close him up in front and allowed him to keep his front end (poll and gullet) up and open too much and in the wrong way. There is no question he has enough strength and ability in the hind end............now I have to convince him not only of that but that softening the underside will actually make it all easier for him. So far, I think my work over fences is providing the most effective way to convince him of this. I've started Brandon in much the same way, refusing to take his balancing rod away and not closing him up in front. I need to take video of him to see if I can avoid the conundrum, I think I created with Junior especially because at least for now Brandon is still build downhill.

You are right in that there are many paths to Rome, and we have to follow the one we feel is not only going to be effective but takes into account what our horse is telling us. Now I need to venture back outside with my mudders on and seek the answer to who and when to ride today because I took the day off ;)

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:03 pm

exvet wrote:While he's not built downhill, he is a breed that far prefers to throw into the chest and shoulders to do anything and thus use the underside of his neck especially at the base to create power. I'm at a point now that while I can get him to lift up through the withers, he also wants to lift his poll in order to lift his thoracic sling and mostly at the canter. I'm losing the cycle of energy going up out through the poll. So, while 'poll at the highest point and open gullet' is the goal and is being achieved, we've got too much of a good thing going on and it's becoming a wee bit of a speed bump in our progress

I'm at the same point with my little fellow and are in the process of remedial work. I followed the higher neck stuff for too long and when my instructor finally could come down for a clinic, I said to her that this pulling up through the poll is a major problem now. She said if I"m prepared to do 3 months basic work to fix it then we can start now. I said absolutely!
Horse riding does my head in sometimes. Yes, there are so many paths that can be almost opposite in technique, so how do you know who is right?

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:20 pm

How about thinking about it as "poll is at the highest point of the arc, with an open gullet"?

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:23 pm

And I'm going to go against the tide and say I much prefer the connection in the lower hands picture to the higher, Demi. The back looks to have dropped a bit with the higher hand.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:49 am

This is a good discussion! Thanks everyone for contributing. At the moment, I can really relate to what Flight said about horse riding “doing my head in sometimes”. There is a lot to take in but what Im seeing is that everyone here (including Sue and Tanga’s contribution on the video thread) has valid points.

As Aleuronx said, “ Yes to lowering the hips to get a horse off the forehand. Yet if you have low and pinning hands that are not allowing the shoulders to come up and through then lowering the hips doesn't get you there 100%. As with most things it's more complicated then just one piece of the puzzle…”

I think that what I want is somewhere in between the pics that i posted. In the lower hand version, my hands were “pinning and not allowing the shoulders to come up and through. However, as Mountaineer pointed out, in the higher hand version, Rocky’s back looks to have dropped a bit. I can see that.

Anyway, I had a nice trial ride today and I feel refreshed. I need the trial ride more than Rokcy! Keeping all this info in my head tonight, Im going to watch my last two rides again and just let it all meld. Ive charged up the Pivo and will video my ride tomorrow. I don’t expect to get it “just right”quickly, but I feel like Im getting closer…

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:11 am

As always, I appreciate the discussion and opinions of all here - thanks!

A brief update from me before the end of the month (year, OMG!!) : Fergal has regressed, after a short break (4 days) - I saddled him up and he seemed calm and fine, but next minute he hunched and bucked (I wasn't on him). So we have gone back to some round pen work, just girthing up and trying to get a quiet move off. I'm not riding him for now.

I wrenched my sacroiliac (walking the dog, on a lead, he took off after a rabbit and he jerked me forwards/sideways.... ), so Connor has had 10 days off. I jumped on today, and got some very nice, calm, willing walk work, voltes, shoulder-in, walk-halt transitions. I warmed up with ~5 mins in-hand walk shoulder-in, I think it helped him loosen up and focus on me, so will try to continue that.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:26 pm

demi wrote:
Chisamba wrote:, you get a horse off the forehand by lowering the hips. The base of the neck is only engaged when the underside is not braced. Lifting the neck incorrectly puts the horse more on the forehand.

Don't worry. I will not try and convince you.

I understand the concept as much as I can from my limited experience, Chisamba. I don’t dispute it! And don’t worry. I’m not worried that you’ll try to convince me. ;)

I think the most common problem in transitions, particularly downward, is not the height of the hands but the quality of the connection. Humans have this tendency to get rigid in their hands and elbows in the transition so the horse meets a rigid connection and lifts its neck, dropping the shoulder and becomes hollow. I see it I've and over.

Riders who ride lovely transitions maintain elasticity through the transition. I would suggest that you play with pushing your hands firward in the transition and not relying on the reins, no matter which height of hand you are working with.
Last edited by Chisamba on Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:31 pm

Yesterday I decided to just hack my girls, I had a long tiring day and I promised myself I wasn't going to skip riding them. I couldn't really hack out because of the weather and after about 15 minutes of walking, I took up the reins without anything in mind and did a bit of schooling. Both ladies were fabulous. I felt like I got the nicest piaffe steps ever on both of them. The take away. Warn up.longer and more relaxed for better quality work. Maybe I will try that for the remainder of the year. More relaxed longer rides before short spurts of high quality schooling

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:39 pm

Chisamba wrote:Yesterday I decided to just hack my girls, I had a long tiring day and I promised myself I wasn't going to skip riding them. I couldn't really hack out because of the weather and after about 15 minutes of walking, I took up the reins without anything in mind and did a bit of schooling. Both ladies were fabulous. I felt like I got the nicest piaffe steps ever on both of them. The take away. Warn up.longer and more relaxed for better quality work. Maybe I will try that for the remainder of the year. More relaxed longer rides before short spurts of high quality schooling

I always try to do this! It helps they are out in pasture and it's a walk to a very long walk to get them, but at the new place the trails are so good and easy, I rarely don't talk a 10-20 minute spin on them before I work! And there is nothing like going down slippery, middy slopes for warming up those haunches and backs as they have to collect or fall over!

demi

Postby demi » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:44 am

Ok, I feel like I made good progress. The middle picture is from today. I put it in the middle because the position is in between the lower hand and the higher hand, which is what I was aiming for. I got the reins shorter today, which was what everyone agreed that I should do! I can’t remember SF’s exact wording from “the video thread” (and if I go back to look at it I’ll lose this post!) but, I essentially did what she said.

This is physically hard for Rocky. It is mentally hard for me. I think I’ll just do a long rein trail ride tomorrow and then get back to this on Thursday.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:00 am

User avatarStraightForward
Re: The video thread
Like this post
by StraightForward » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:15 pm

It's hard to see what is going on with your hands since you are going away from the camera in the transition in the higher hands video, but when I paused it after you turn the corner, it looks like you could slide your hands 3-4" down the reins so they would be slightly lower, with a little more obtuse angle to your elbow, but your upper arm would still be in the same position, so I don't think that would create more tension in the shoulders. In the lower hands video, there is a more straight line from the elbow to the bit, but it looks like your hands might be in a little bit of a puppy paw position (hard to tell for sure), and I get the sense that Rocky is diving down towards the contact to the extent that she can. I think somewhere in the middle, shorter reins and more carrying, but not high, hands, will encourage her to carry as well. With the shorter reins you can test for stretching.

——————-
I copied SF’s post because it’s almost exactly what I did today. I say almost exactly because I don’t think I slid my hands down 3-4 inches, maybe 2-3 at most. But I tried. The result felt good. Maybe I can get a little shorter rein in a few weeks after I can consistently get what I got today.

Thanks everyone for the input. It is helping.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:40 am

Jingles for all those humans that need it. Heddy...I hope you are weathering the COVID storm.

Demi, good work. Riding dressage is so analytical. We just don't want to drive ourselves crazy...or do we :?: .

Kyra is currently on vacation. Our weather went to hell in a hand basket this week. Cold, snow...and a snotty horse nose. She has been at the new barn 7 weeks and hasn't been off the property so she picked up something there. So far it seems to just be a horsie "cold" as far as I can tell. No fever or coughing so I hope it clears rapidly. Her appetite is still intact so I am not too worried. The weather is supposed to moderate by the beginning of next week although it will take a few days to melt the snow. Being I have turned into a weather weenie, she wouldn't be getting worked even at the old barn with an indoor. Just too cold for me (lows in the single digits). For this week, she is just getting some hand walking to at least get her out of her stall. The B.O. doesn't seem too worried of her spreading something through the barn.

Susan

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:16 pm

Junior is sending jingles and commiseration to Kyra. Our weather also took the big slide downhill (lots of cold rain) and wouldn't you know it, I came home last night to one of 3 horses with a snotty nose. He, like Kyra, has no fever and is eating like one would expect a welsh cob should. My last show was well over a month ago; so, it's likely that it's just a cold probably due to weather changes and other stressors. I do hear a horse coughing next door, but they've got their barn wrapped and their horses do not go out. I'll just have to give it a few days to see if the other 2 get it or not.

Demi I do honestly understand the challenges (both with the conformation and trying to take what the horse is telling you along with everyone else's advice) to find the happy medium or sweet spot so-to-speak. I find that trail rides really do help prevent muscle fatigue and clear the mind (for both). My last work with Junior before he came down with a cold was half steps to piaffe in hand.........the little stinker reminded me that he was the one that kicked me in the face 6 or so years ago.......he's still got a hell of a reach and can move like a cat. No injuries and we came to our working agreement rather quickly so that we ended up getting some good consistent half-steps in hand and then lowering of the hind end; but I was a bit surprised by his explosive opinion. His issue? That I was making him stay straight, engage both hind legs evenly and yup....stay even in both reins coming through (not avoiding the right rein) to the hand. He wanted to use the base of his neck to lift through the wither and I insisted that he come through the back instead. Once he realized that I was not swayed by his explosion and that I was a hair out of reach (this I think he already knew) he gave the right answer, but we did have to go back to a few steps of the 'very beginning' with lifting his legs independently with a tap of the whip and then holding them up until I gave the go ahead, yada, yada and then voila we were there. I did have to guide him with the whip and the hand in order to prevent him from sinking into the base of his neck. The concept that he does not have to sink into the base of his neck and push through from the underside (which he tries to do initially when engaging the hind more) has been hard for him to grasp but as said we eventually got our way there......he'll have a few days off due to illness and then we'll revisit it both in hand and under saddle to test to see if the lesson attempted was a lesson retained.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:17 am

Demi, the middle is nice! But in my eye just breathe out and let a little bit of tension out of both of you so your arms relax (see the muscle showing in your forearm?) maybe even your fingers a bit, to let her neck drop a smidge and her face forward a touch.
But it's a really different posture to the one where she is standing in the stable :)

demi

Postby demi » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:20 am

I see what you’re talking about, Flight. I will keep it in mind tomorrow when i ride. It’s going to be tricky for me to let her neck drop because that has been an issue. She seems quiet happy to go with her head and neck low, and take the bit. Not as in sharing it, but as in taking over and running the show! I think we have the old married couple syndrome going on hahah.

Okay, with the bad weather others are having, I feel almost guilty posting this pic from today! The weather we’ve been having for the last two months makes up for all the 100 degree, blazing sun days we have in the summer.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:31 am

Exvet, I remember that Jr was the one that kicked you in the face. I respect what you’ve done with him. I also often think about Monty when I get discouraged about Rocky. It’s impressive that you took him to the FEI levels but it’s even more impressive that he’s still working and sound and happy.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:42 am

Pop her into shoulder in or travers if she gets too low and see what happens. It tends to get them to raise in front without the tussle :)
Great pic in the western gear!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:50 pm

Demi, What a sweet photo of her! And what an interesting discussion regarding the hand position.

Jingles for Kyra!

This holiday season has been very tough on me. My grandmother, who I basically cared for the last 7 years or so before she went into a nursing home, died two days after Christmas. It is really a blessing in reality but of course it is still very sad.

And then winter is now just hitting here in Colorado. We're supposed to get some snow tomorrow which we will be very grateful for!! But of course it's hard to go from 60° down to the teens. Although Lynx is loving the cold weather. He is as hairy as a yak!!

A few weeks ago we did our first tiny tiny crossrails. Like picture cavaletti but in the shape of an x lol. I did it on a gymnastic that was a little bit of a curved line. I had a bit anxiety about it But we did it at both trot and canter and he was absolutely awesome! Then the following week we just did a course of poles. Lynx is sometimes anticipating that anything set between jumping standards is automatically a jump. So he got a bit excited and kind of ignored my half halts, jumped the poles then cantered to the next line. It wasn't a line that was really correct for a canter (We were supposed to be trotting these simple poles.) And then he kind of launched over that pole and then did a little bit of crow hopping, just a happy thing. The trainer said I handled a great went with him then pulled him up and told him okay that's enough! After that we trotted it with some transitions to walk in between.

Then I had signed up for a pole work clinic with a three-star Eventer. I was in my dressage saddle as I could not borrow the jumping saddle that I sometimes use. This really threw me off. lynx was a pocket rocket So we did a lot of the poles at the trot and walk. We did another little cross rail and then a pretty large line of alternating cavalettis. He did awesome!!

I was supposed to have a Dressage lesson tomorrow but it's just not going to happen. So instead he gets ridden by the Grand Prix dressage trainer which I'm sure he will love! And Sunday I will have another lesson with poles.

Jump saddle will hopefully be bought by February! Although for the rest of spring after February 1st he won't be doing any more jumping. Just poles. And to be clear anything he's jumping is something that he can walk over easily. But I definitely think he wants to not only do dressage but he wants to do the hunters as well!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:48 pm

Quick piece of advice, LSP, put a neck strap (or some sort of grab strap) on your horse when you do pole work. It will help free him up a bit and he won't feel the inevitable tension in your arms from "jumping" a green bean. With Tio, I used the saddle pad straps (cuz I don't loop them through the billet straps and I hadn't got round to cutting them off) for cavalletti and then grabbed main as we progressed to bigger jumps and gymnastics. It had been quite awhile since I had jumped and I do it in a dressage saddle so this just helps me stay soft and with him. Tio LOVES to jump and get a touch enthusiastic at times, but he never grabs the bit and runs because, I think, I kept my hands neutral during the approach to jumps in the early days. Just a thought, take it for what you will. Rye may have some better ideas or Marie, they both hop over jumps routinely I believe.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:59 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:Excited for some new goals!

We are entering our first dressage schooling show on November 20th. Just Intro A and B which will be great for us both. I haven't shown in over 15 years and never really dressage except one outing. I'm nervous and get too focused on being correct. My big focus this time is to stay relaxed and just be there for Lynx
and have a good confidence building time.

December we are doing a pile of poles class at another home barn schooling show. We also are planning to ride in a Jessica wisdom clinic if she does indeed come back in December. I will take Lynx this time.

Other than that I kind of just plan on continuing to strengthen but also take some time to bond and relax too. He's definitely been working hard the last few months and I think it's time to have some fun. We will be stepping back on the training rides and I will be at the forefront as his rider.

I guess we are ending our December goals.

I did both the dressage schooling show and the hunter jumper schooling show so that's great. Unfortunately Jessica Wisdom clinic got cancelled. But we did do that group pole work clinic.

I definitely had some really great rides and time with Lynx. Now on to 2022! I hope everybody has a great year next year!!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:01 pm

Sue B, Yes we definitely just added a neck strap. Especially since he has a roach mane! Just a nice little extra bit of security.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:56 pm

time for closeout!

blob wrote:
MM:
Jump/poles once a week
Lunging/long lining once a week
Work on cantering that box
Keep working more power in the HP

I didn't get to do much HP work or cantering in the box work. But I have been working on things that get to the same idea/goals. And I did ok on the poles/ground work once a week plan!

blob wrote: RP:
Nationals in November--manage nerves, have fun!
Work on getting shoulders more supple
Start playing around with changes (I want him to know he can change before I do too much CC)
get more sit and slow in the trot lengthenings

Nationals was a success! Shoulder suppling was a success. The other two are pieces that i'm only just now starting to get to. But it feels like the right steps towards that.

blob wrote:Me:
Try to get back to working out at home
Find better riding/work balance (the last two months have been difficult on this front)
ETA: focus on position and precise/light aids on both horses

Sigh, this is where I did not succeed so much. Next month, I'll try again!

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:37 pm

Here, here blob! Time for closeout of the section and the year.

I'll do the sappy thing of I'm just grateful to be ending the year with a healthy, sound, happy and progressing Kora. Solid jingles to those that aren't. It may be winter when you can cluck 'too hard' but we'll make it to the other side of spring and glad to be still in the saddle regardless.

Section Goals:
4+ lessons Success: Between Jeremy (which seems like a decade ago...) and my trainer we had these lessons on lock and lots of good homework from them

Stay in the ring @Schooling show :lol: Failure: This was a horsemanship decision as Kora was absolutely knackered from Jeremy lesson so was the right choice to skip. We'll get back to competition stuff in 2022...

Beach visit Success: At least in hand! We even got tootsies in the ocean so pleased with first exposure.

Canter - work exercises to get front end up and out Checking this box as well, we have lots of tools and rotating through exercises while also making sure to refresh with lots of forward standing in stirrups canter at the big indoor we can visit at.

Trot - Keep on trucking with building the half halt and strength. Solid haunches in/start of trot half pass Giving this also a solid check. We can do more but I feel like she has a good understanding of the half halt for her level and we can access some of the haunches in that we will need for a proper half pass. Next steps for sure!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:52 am

I had a very tired horse today--not only was this his third day in a row of either a lesson or a training ride, but he has new neighbors. Cows, and calves. Not sure he's ever seen them before, or at least not quite so up-close and personal! By today he was pretty chill about them, but his turnout time this week hasn't been his normal relaxed hanging out and eating session. When I left yesterday, the new neighbor was attempting to rope a calf, on foot, in deep snow, and load it into a trailer. Lots for a horse to watch, process and decide is NBD!

It has also been cold and snowy and windy. I think that's really quite tiring, particularly for him, having come from warmer climes.

So today was a bit of a bust as far as rides go, except he was really very good, just obviously weary, so we worked for 20 minutes and called it good. By then the wind had picked up, it was snowing shards of ice horizontally, and the temperature had dropped, so he got to stay inside with a large pile of hay and his warm blanket. We are expecting significant snowfall overnight, so we will see what tomorrow brings. I'd like to ride to see out 2021, but I'm not risking my neck on icy roads for it.

However, yesterday, we had a super ride--I had a bit of a seat and breathing epiphany, which, after a slightly confused start where he obviously thought I was asking for a down transition when I stopped perching and actually sat squarely on my butt, resulted in way more straightness and throughness at the canter, particularly on the right lead (which is now better than the left as I have been focusing more attention on it.) I'm not having so much volunteer lead changing either, which makes me think I've become much steadier and more consistent in my seat, and as such, far more independent in my hands.

I'm also much more confident in my ability to stay with him of things go pear-shaped, and he is becoming more focused on me and less on what's going on down the aisle, on the roof, outside the door. Probably because I'm becoming clearer in my requests and a steadier presence rather than leaving him wondering what my problem is.

He's not a forgiving horse. But he is teaching me to ride.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:36 am

Well...I got a text today that Kyra started coughing today. Our weather has been nasty but I braved the roads and went out today. Still quite a snotty nose and I think the coughing is from post-nasal drip. Still no fever. I am not a vet but I listened to her lungs and didn't hear anything ominous in the air movement. Of course, I call my vet and get "mailbox full". Great. I got the name of the BO's vet and called him. He feels it is viral and I just have to nurse her through it. I am just holding my breath that no other horse in the barn gets it.

Oh, and I did hear from my vet. She texted me from Puerto Vallarta. Did I have an emergency? No, no...enjoy your vacation in the warm weather :roll: .

So, Goal #1...get her over this mung. I guess we will go back to walk work for a bit once she recovers.

Susan

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:37 pm

Sorry that Kyra is under the weather.........my vet suggested the same for Junior. He isn't coughing as much (never did a lot but enough that I caught it despite not spending a lot of time in the barn this week). No coughing this morning but when I went to clean out his feeder there was a huge glob of snot there.......LOL....my staff and I are always talking about what we have to 'deal' with in terms of exposures in the animal world. So far my other two are doing find without symptoms, knock on wood.

So to round this session out:
Goals were:

Junior
* Show next weekend and then in two more weeks show the championships (state), My goals is to try to maintain scores in the mid sixties (or above if possible)
* Start diligently working on the flying changes if we accomplish #1 in terms of scores.
* Start jumping him with a rider.
* Hopefully get to ride with someone who is my 'favorite coach' and is my instructor's instructor more often - once a month would be ideal

Nailed all of them! Yes!

Brandon
* Start hauling him out for lessons. I hope to get to a cadence where I'm alternating weeks between Junior and Brandon
* Develop a more solid connection. He is MUCH better than before (last video)
* Develop better balance at all three gaits - he's getting there but needs to be more accepting of my guidance in where to put himself
* If there is a schooling show, I hope to take this guy, likely alone

Nailed all but the schooling show because the only one scheduled was cancelled the day before it was to happen.

Ace
* I'm going to start lunging him once a week in addition to his current riding schedule. He's starting to muscle up a little more and trot, canter transitions will help get rid of his hay belly
*I'm putting this here because Ace is our numero uno trail horse; but, I hope to get everyone legged up for 10-12 mile trail rides as opposed to our usual 4=5 that we stick to during the summer months.

The lunging happened but not any of the rest unfortunately due to weather.

Me
* Continue working out on my days off and probably introduce more kick boxing and get back to running now that the weather is better.
* Continue working on my hands.

LOL well the temps got better but then the rains came so exercising regularly including kick boxing yes......but no running of any serious nature yet. Every ride I'm trying to pay attention to where my hands are and correct if needed.

I thought I was going to feel a little down after closing out this thread because it seemed like there were several setbacks but now having posted this, I see that it really wasn't that bad, and progress did happen right under my nose ;)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:03 pm

Here's my color-graded closeout. I'm taking a little time to just regroup and figure out where I want things to go next year. Having two ridable horses is a new and unusual thing for me, and I've been going full steam ahead for the most part. Sometimes it's not the best thing for me or the horses, I think. Overall I've learned a ton this year, and just need to let it all sink in, so I'm not sad that we were a little less focused this fall.

StraightForward wrote:Annabelle
  • In-hand work/long-lining 1x a week - I'd totally forgotten that I have a self-paced in hand course that I need to take more advantage of.I've been lazy here. Sometimes a little IH work before getting on.
  • Ride in the double 1x a week. Practice my rein-handling skills and keep her a little lighter in the bridle. We've had some good rides and bad rides in the double. It has been educational.
  • Lots of canter transitions and counter canter. Keeping the RH snappy and develop that jump and straightness.Limited a bit by footing challenges, but I think there has been improvement. Need to do more CC for sure.
  • Continue using lots of changes of bend SI/CSI/HI/Renvers/HP to supple her spine.Yes, this has been a main focus, especially the last few weeks. We are bench-changing fools!
  • Don't for get about reinback! Did some, def. needs more work.

Tesla
What I'll be able to do with her will depend on the weather, footing, and if the outdoor arena lights get installed. She does not think riding in the small indoor is a reasonable request, though I will be working on that once we get a little more consistency in the work in the outdoor arena.
  • General obedience :lol: I can't force this one, but work towards fewer arguments each ride.I'm going to give this a green light. We've made some progress with small victories and there have been some pretty good rides interspersed with mild naughtiness.
  • A little in-hand work for her too.Have done some, but need to do more.
  • Develop basic lateral work at walk and trot.Yes, but very judiciously. We have a baby SI, usually have a solid LY, and working on TOF, though I've very careful of that one with her because she can tend to get excited and just start running sideways or conversely, getting stuck on her RF.
  • Don't force the canter, but be ready to encourage and accept when it's offered.Yes, we've cantered a few times. Footing got dodgy, so limited the last several rides.
  • Double lunging 2x a week to make sure she gets some mileage on that difficult right lead.Yes. The right lead has improved a lot, as well as her snappiness in the T/C transitions.
  • Haul out at least 4xNope. The few times it would have been feasible, I was lazy and just didn't do it.

Self
As always, try to get some off-horse workouts and eat properly.So so. The past few weeks I would give myself a D on exercise and a C on diet.
Do the Feldenkrais exercises and keep trying to sort out my tendency to collapse left.Yes, continuing to get better!
Possibly schedule a session with the local biomechanics expert and see what she might recommend.Nope.
Work on timing of the aids and effective half-halts.Yes. Timing is getting much more automatic so I can do it while also focusing on other things.
Keep my lower leg quiet, especially when riding Tesla.I've been better about using the crop and less leg on her, but still sometimes get goaded in to a noisy lower leg.
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:04 pm

Over 600 homes lost in our county, neighboring towns from huge fires in Colorado. Our barn took horses from two other boarding facilities. I think the barns are okay though. Snow on the way.
Awful.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:58 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:Over 600 homes lost in our county, neighboring towns from huge fires in Colorado. Our barn took horses from two other boarding facilities. I think the barns are okay though. Snow on the way.
Awful.

Awful for sure. I was wondering if you were affected. DH is working virtually with the Red Cross on it and he says its a mess. I’m glad you’re in a barn that is taking in horses and not in a barn that has to relocate horses. Thinking of you…

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:20 pm

demi wrote:
Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:Over 600 homes lost in our county, neighboring towns from huge fires in Colorado. Our barn took horses from two other boarding facilities. I think the barns are okay though. Snow on the way.
Awful.

Awful for sure. I was wondering if you were affected. DH is working virtually with the Red Cross on it and he says its a mess. I’m glad you’re in a barn that is taking in horses and not in a barn that has to relocate horses. Thinking of you…

It's so heartbreaking. And I agree I'm glad we are safe as well as Lynx. It isn't very far from us though and we definitely weren't sure at first what was going to happen.

It's now SNOWING. A day late but still, much needed. Thank goodness, some moisture.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:37 am

LSP, I was also thinking of you, and glad to hear you are safe.

We finished up the year with a nice ride 'out', down our (long) driveway with Connor and buddy. Just a nice walk on a fine blustery summer day. Threw in a bit of leg yield and a few transitions on the flat part, and just enjoyed being out and about. We didn't do too well on the goals, although lateral work is somewhat improved; we pretty much didn't canter at all, what with weather and human injury causing inconsistent work.

For Fergal, we met some goals (rode out of the roundpen a few times, in the arena, and even a short ride around our place!!), but he's still inclined to buck if he's had a few days off, so am going back to mainly groundwork with him for now.

Happy new year everyone, and all the best for 2022.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:10 am

LSP, jingles for all affected. That is just crazy weather.

I bought Kyra from a person in Parker. When I went and looked at her (quick 24hr trip), it was 70 degrees when I got there the 1st of February. Very warm. Then by the time I boarded the plane to go home it was snowing. Weather swings like that are insane then add the 100 mph wind :shock: .

I know exvet. Describing said snot so clinically. Kyra's was creamy and yellow :P . I am hoping she is on the mend. Snot was clearer and there was less of it. She is still coughing pretty good for which I feel bad. The owners live in the barn over the horses. Not much I can do about it though. She was quite a bit perkier today and still no fever so it appears to be a "cold". I hand walked her for awhile and we enjoyed the sunshine.

Susan

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:35 am

Exvet , whom I respect and admire said " there is simply no room for forgiveness " and it clicked a switch in my mind. I keep forgiving Kimba because she is standard and a pacer, so I unintentionally taught her that I will back off if she paces. So if to work we went today and each time she paced instead of backing off i pressurized her . No room for forgiveness, leg leg leg until she yielded in the reins and resumed her trot ( or canter). Well after throwing several dramatic hissy fits. I took away that particular evasion and we had a successful progression .

thank you exvet

It's funny how we are so used to cutting horses slack because of conformation, or attitude, that sometimes we create that evasion.

I worked on half pass quality and counter canter, the two exercises she.most commonly changes her rhythm, and she is perfectly capable of both.

Now I need to address the zero tolerance of running downhill in medium. I think my last ride of the year is a perfect set up for my new goals of the new year.

With Saiph my dilemma islovely lateral work when relaxed but blah mediums, and lovely mediums when a bit of positive tension but less quality in latera any suggestions for how you solve this dilemma will be considered appreciatively

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:15 am

Still catching up on threads, but to end the year I am very in tune with what the horse thinks is hard is the therapy (work) they need to do.

Emi just did a 20 ride December, 1 year post-suspensory injury. She is still building strength, but it is evident that I can ask more and she can do more---but we do have periodic melt-down moments about real work before she concedes "you're right, I can do it." lol Today we did half passes in walk and trot and a tiny bit of canter for the first time in over a year. Her canter is getting right again (true mobility through the pelvis) and she is feeling stronger each week. I am lucky we can continue to work together (she is 19.5!).

I am thinking about an additional partner but am in no rush. My big goal of 2021 was to bring Em back and she is en route!

Happy new year, all. May it bring peace, ease, and options for you and yours.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:59 pm

Several days past the end of this challenge and it's (past) time for a goals retrospective. What I said I'd do:

Ponichiwa wrote:"Winter gear" here means long-sleeved shirts for warmth instead of sun protection. Very exciting times.

Job stress is ramping down which means it's time to (re)focus on fitness and training. Over what remains of 2021, I'll be working on:
- 15k steps/d; at least one 30+ min walk during the workday and some sort of after-work activity (dog walking, riding, etc.) every day
- Logging calories again (tragically, the only way I've managed to lose weight is to force myself to think about what I'm eating)
- Ride in the double 5x
- 4+ d/week training rides (vs pootling around)
- Build a medium that can score in the 7s
- Toy with pirouette canter until we can sit and also carry the front end

What I actually did:
- avgd 14.2k steps/day -- feels close enough to call it a win
- Did not log calories due to fear of what I'd learn. Still managed to survive the holiday season without needing to go up a notch on my belts, which is progress from last year.
- Medium progess: significant. We're starting to get a consistent "motorboat" feeling in the canter-- where when you add power, the whole balance tips up at the front and down at the back -- and the tempo is adjustable (i.e. not just sprinting away). We can only do short pieces, though, and need to refresh midway across the diagonal or down the long side. Still, progress.
- Pirouette canter: Queso is happy to sit and spin all day. I did have a pretty funny moment the other day when a big half-halt resulted in a levade. "Is this what you want?" Close, buddy. Real close.

All in all, a pretty successful (if occasionally fraught with work drama) year. Looking forward to seeing where we all go in 2022!

khall

Postby khall » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:32 pm

Y’all are much better at actually listing your goals! ( sorry my deep southerner creeps out:)

What I had wanted to do this session

2 clinics. Cedar and WE check! Both extremely successful!! WE this time was out in our big field and was just a blast

Riding out for fitness. Partial check. Was doing well then we started having lots of rain.

Joplin canter and piaffe in hand. Both are going very very well

Gaila just ride her more. Try to get better control of her new found power. Partially successful. The rides I’ve had on her for the most part have been very good. Just not been able to get on her as much as I had hoped. Weather and holidays have not helped.

My weight and fitness. Pretty happy! I’ve lost what I had gained. I’m doing Pilates 3 times a week and for Christmas my husband and I gifted ourselves a home gym set up that we keep adding to. I’m needing cardio low impact. No running for these knees! And weight training. So next cycle I hope to be even more fit!

Return to “Dressage Training”