The video thread

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: The video thread

Postby blob » Thu May 05, 2022 1:57 pm

LSP-- I'm not sure If i've mentioned this to you before. But when MM was around 4, she seemed NQR. It was very subtle and at times I thought I was imaging it, but it was definitely different than It used to be and also some sport horse experts confirmed something was NQR, though not official LAME. I spent money on diagnostics and never really found anything--some thought SI. I ended up just giving her about 4 months off in pasture while I debated whether I might need to find a non-dressage home for her where gait purity wasn't so important (she didn't seem to be in pain). Well, dr. green did the trick and after 4 months she was totally fine and the issue never even slightly presented itself again. In retrospect, I think it was all just growth related.

I'm sharing this not to say you need to give Lynx 4 months of Dr. green. But to say that something like this can happen as part of growing and not at all be related to anything long term.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu May 05, 2022 2:20 pm

blob wrote:LSP-- I'm not sure If i've mentioned this to you before. But when MM was around 4, she seemed NQR. It was very subtle and at times I thought I was imaging it, but it was definitely different than It used to be and also some sport horse experts confirmed something was NQR, though not official LAME. I spent money on diagnostics and never really found anything--some thought SI. I ended up just giving her about 4 months off in pasture while I debated whether I might need to find a non-dressage home for her where gait purity wasn't so important (she didn't seem to be in pain). Well, dr. green did the trick and after 4 months she was totally fine and the issue never even slightly presented itself again. In retrospect, I think it was all just growth related.

I'm sharing this not to say you need to give Lynx 4 months of Dr. green. But to say that something like this can happen as part of growing and not at all be related to anything long term.

I think Blob is sharing an experience that I have observed in many growing horses over the years and the recipe for 'growing out of it' is different for each but many involved 'benign neglect' as we say in the hood ;) I'm going to be the one to go against the group and say I DO see something. You are not imagining it imo. I am not saying Lynx is in pain or definitively lame. That, no one can competently say based on video alone but there is a component of NQR AT TIMES and not consistently throughout the clips. It is repetitive which is why I am mentioning it. You are already aware and monitoring the situation which is most important. Dressage training done correctly and in the right amounts with the right focus can be the answer, like physical therapy with appropriate amounts of rest in between and often the horse comes out perfectly fine on the other side.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu May 05, 2022 3:16 pm

I finally got a chance to watch the videos of Lynx. I won't comment on whether he is "off" but I do get the impression that he is in a little more of a "frame" in front than he is ready for. In most of the trot work he is not swinging his hind legs through, so often the hoof is only landing at or just in front of the stifle joint. I wonder if he could be opened up a little more in the throatlatch and develop a little more throughness and swing in the trot. It did seem a little better after the canter, so I think I would use that to get him stepping through more - do a short bit of canter and then use that momentum to encourage the trot quality. My guess is that the little stutter steps will go away (assuming of course there is not an underlying problem that is not just strength/straightness/training) he can more consistently step through and send energy all the way through his body. Sometimes they need to go for a "yeehaw" as Charlotte D says, to get a little unstuck and free everything up.
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu May 05, 2022 3:50 pm

Thanks guys. I do definitely see something although to me it appears to be stifle related (It's the muscles on his quadriceps that kind of tip me off there.) I'm going to give it a little bit more time just focusing on strengthening and I think time will tell pretty quickly. I was mildly worried in the fall and the more fit he got the better he looked so I'm hoping the same will happen. But I think if that is not the right path it will show itself rather quickly.

I definitely would not hesitate to give him time off if he's not improving. But right now the vets have been pretty adamant to keep a working him to strengthen the stifle. I'm going to give it just a little more time unless something changes.

Straightforward, He's a tough one because he kind of naturally wants to be in that frame then maybe that's a strength thing in its own right. He does have a little more naturally higher neck but goes through phases of being butt high. So balance is always changing. For a little bit he was wanting to get behind the vertical But we switched bits and that seem to go away for the most part other than just the obvious loss of balance. There's absolutely a straightness issue going to the right. He would blow you guys away with how crooked he wants to go on the lunge line going to the right. Which is another thing that has always weirded me out. If I can get him straight on the lunge he does look better. But I'm not going to lie it is so incredibly hard to get him straight on the lunge.

I do agree that he is always better after some canter. So I have thought maybe we need to add it in earlier into the rides or a big sweepy/stretchy trot. Thankfully to the weather is getting better so we can ride out of the arena a little more.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu May 05, 2022 3:52 pm

I will say part of my paranoia is because he is such a good boy overall and I just always want to make sure that he is feeling good and that I'm giving him whatever he needs. The stifle/young horse stuff definitely is tricky and it always feels like a balancing act. I do still need spring shots though so depending on how the next week goes I might as well have the vet check him when they come.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu May 05, 2022 3:54 pm

I saw stuff when you first posted about getting him but didn't ask for comments so I left it alone....yes- check higher up too- check LS joint, pelvis....sometimes tight psoas muscles can cause this movement. Sometimes people think its stifles when its actually something else that makes it look like the stifle since that is how it presents itself. Also if they have tight hind end muscles it can make it harder to step under. Or sore stifles cause a cascade of other things, or other things cause the stifle to get sore (its part of the chain of movement).

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu May 05, 2022 4:06 pm

In May he presented with mild effusion in the right stifle when he was living in an extreme muddy paddock. But yes I think it's a combination between SI and stifle. But like the vet pointed out to me you can see his quadricep does not fire well on that side. (The ripple.)

The last chiropractic appointment said he felt amazing. Of course it was about a week or so after that when he started standing funky. And I know at least two other horses got injured in the pasture so I'm not sure what happened out there but it coincided with Lynx acting a little funny.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu May 05, 2022 4:11 pm

https://youtu.be/fPWD1Tkg4qE this video from the fall of me riding, I like much better. His "frame" is lower too although he wants to go behind the vertical a little more too. But I like his movement overall better. Unfortunately no canter in that video.

He just looks stronger and like things are more flowing.

khall

Postby khall » Thu May 05, 2022 4:38 pm

Lsp yes I agree this last video you posted is very nice but I do see him lose a hind leg occasionally. When you bought him was he 5 panel tested being stock bred?

blob

Postby blob » Thu May 05, 2022 4:41 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:https://youtu.be/fPWD1Tkg4qE this video from the fall of me riding, I like much better. His "frame" is lower too although he wants to go behind the vertical a little more too. But I like his movement overall better. Unfortunately no canter in that video.

He just looks stronger and like things are more flowing.

Like Khall I agree he looks stronger (but also notice the losing the hind leg).

The other thing I notice is that in this video he is moving more forward and is being ridden in straight lines. In the more recent video he is taking a smaller stride and is being asked for more bend. So, I guess my question would be: how would he look now if he was asked to go big in the trot on a straight line as opposed to a smaller stride on a circle?

ETA: I don't think asking for more bend is wrong, but it is definitely harder, so would be curious to see how he compares to the fall video if he was being ridden straight and more forward. Of course if he resists going more forward that would also be information
Last edited by blob on Thu May 05, 2022 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu May 05, 2022 4:49 pm

Khall, Yes he did lose a hind leg but that was the only time in that ride. He has been losing hind leg a lot more the last few weeks. Just not on Friday when I videoed lol! Which I did I think was hopefully, It's happening less. But it's never happened as much as it has the last few weeks...

My husband is going to be out videoing tomorrow during my lesson. Obviously I don't have full control over what we do but I would definitely get more video going and more straight lines.

I do think I ride him a little more up and open more than both trainers do.

khall

Postby khall » Thu May 05, 2022 4:56 pm

Well I like how he is positioned with you riding. I think we can make ourselves crazy over worrying about our horses. I know I certainly can! You are doing a good job of the work you are doing with Lynx and how you care for him to keep him healthy and sound.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu May 05, 2022 5:13 pm

Blob, I will definitely play with that and hopefully get video to compare this weekend.

Last Sunday we were doing a poll work exercise and I thought that was telling as well.

It was some trot poles set up in a straight line. I want to say 8 poles in a row? I think in the middle of there is a slight more spacing but I'm not sure. Anyways. That was so much harder than just a set of 3 trot poles. He would go in and then about halfway through I would really need to half half as I think it was harder to keep his balance.

Then after that we would go through I believe a set of three or four trot poles, in a curved line and do it on a circle. At first I thought the circle did seem hard on him but after a time or two these poles were easier. Then, towards then end, harder. I assume he got tired and we ended there of course.

Not sure really what that means other than he needs strength but I guess what I'm saying is I definitely am trying to pay attention to how he feels doing different things.

I appreciate everybody's input and just stuff anything letting me talk it out!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu May 05, 2022 5:13 pm

Khall, thank you, that's very kind.

Edited to add yes he was 5 panel tested and n/n for all. I also consulted with our very own Kelo on his bloodlines and she gave me the green light on bloodlines alone as far as not likely to have genetic issues to her knowledge.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri May 06, 2022 12:31 am

he's a lovely horse & you ride him well!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri May 06, 2022 2:26 pm

Thank you Ryeissa. No matter what, he's a fun little horse and I enjoy him.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri May 06, 2022 5:12 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:Thank you Ryeissa. No matter what, he's a fun little horse and I enjoy him.

This is what counts and imo why most of us do this thing called dressage. He's only going to get stronger and better. It's nerve racking to know they have some sort of challenge and even more so doing the due diligence to do your best by him and not get distracted by all the information being provided even if in good faith and best interest of all. I think you're doing a great job seeing Lynx through his growth and development. This is all we can do and no matter what because you're the one seeing him, taking care of him and riding him, so you KNOW him.....get the advice of the experienced but most definitely...TRUST YOUR GUT. This will keep your horse's momentum and development moving in the right direction even if at times it seems like it's at a snail's pace.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri May 06, 2022 9:48 pm

Thank you so much Exvet. It definitely is what it's all about and I have learned a time or two the lesson of not trusting my gut... I always regret it. That being said he felt pretty good today. I of course do not ride nearly as well as my trainers. And today especially I really rode him as up and open and in a longer rein (probably too long.)

I'm waiting to hear back from the vet but if he keeps feeling good with more work then I think we will cautiously continue on. I guess the biggest thing I'm wondering from the vet is if he needs just a little something to help. Not really a steroid injection or anything. Thinking more like estrone or maybe surpass when he's tighter or something. But maybe all he needs is continued work I don't know.
https://youtube.com/shorts/0Xl1G1x0Td8?feature=share

And yes I'm pretty bummed to see all my position issues are still there despite me doing a lot of Pilates and feldenkrais. Lol But I will keep chipping away at that too.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri May 06, 2022 9:56 pm

https://youtube.com/shorts/YM0HE63w3SY?feature=share some trot to the right, although video is less clear.
https://youtube.com/shorts/ZyLVsTQBLVM?feature=share and more trot and canter

khall

Postby khall » Fri May 06, 2022 10:04 pm

Lsp have you thought of putting him on adequan? When we discovered Joplin’s unusual right hock conformation vet started her on adequan. Loading dose and once a month

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri May 06, 2022 10:26 pm

Khall, I have thought about it. I wasn't sure if it would be useful if it's more soft tissue related (so far any X-rays were clean) but certainly wouldn't hurt to ask about and not harmful to try I don't think.

blob

Postby blob » Fri May 06, 2022 10:45 pm

LSP, I'd still be interested to see how he looks on a truly straight line. In these videos you're riding him more open but he's still on a bending line going right. What if you really get him straight for some lines (no flexion) and ask for a bigger stride? How does he look then?

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat May 07, 2022 12:38 am

Blob, yeah half of the arena was still wet so we were limited (and I was in a lesson) but I'll try to do a more true straight line on Sunday.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun May 08, 2022 12:53 am

Legend tends to be better for soft tissue stuff, but each horse is different. It sounds like you have good help and resources. All horses have something!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun May 08, 2022 3:17 am

I'm interested to play with him the next week and we will see what vet thinks from the video I sent (if they want to come out or not.)

I will definitely talk to them about any options to help him feel his best.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue May 10, 2022 1:27 pm

Here is a link of my third level test 2 ridden at Saturday's schooling show. I swear the wind was blowing us off the rail ;) We got one change, but my pony was pretty exhausted riding two tests back-to-back so the second one just didn't happen. This was his second test of the day. It seems like we can (as usual) get one half of the pattern good but the mirror image? well not so much. I'm still happy with our progress and see where we need to continue to work.

https://youtu.be/V9s11RyVN2M

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue May 10, 2022 5:45 pm

Nice test, exvet. I really like your mediums--his poll stays high and his nose goes out. His SI, travers are also very consistent. Once you get those changes you'll really bump your scores up.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed May 11, 2022 1:06 pm

Thank you Tanga. THAT is certainly the plan. Do you know Molly Martin? She moved here from Washington (so I'm told). I might be riding with her this weekend. It's my observation that she's helped a couple of locals with their FC challenges. Hoping to get similar help if it all comes to fruition.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed May 11, 2022 4:37 pm

exvet wrote:Thank you Tanga. THAT is certainly the plan. Do you know Molly Martin? She moved here from Washington (so I'm told). I might be riding with her this weekend. It's my observation that she's helped a couple of locals with their FC challenges. Hoping to get similar help if it all comes to fruition.

I have not heard of her. I'm pretty good at putting changes on horses, but I'm not quite sure what I'd do with him. He doesn't seem to get the "flying" part. He seems to have it in his head it involves trotting from what I've seen. Maybe doing it over a pole or X jump to sort of change his thinking? I'm sort of doing that with Quilla in her passage, trying to get her to think more of a trot piaffe by being quicker because she wants to do a big, slow walk steppy passage. I'm getting there, I think.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu May 12, 2022 8:12 am

A lovely test Exvet!
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu May 12, 2022 1:00 pm

Nice tests ExVet! Brandon really has some moments showing the fancy canter he is going to have as his strength develops.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu May 12, 2022 2:44 pm

StraightForward wrote:Nice tests ExVet! Brandon really has some moments showing the fancy canter he is going to have as his strength develops.

Thank you StraightForward et al. I plan to start Brandon over fences next month when he turns 5. I don't do a lot of course work but more gymnastic set ups and one line bounces. I think that will help bring out his 'abilities' even more. I usually start them out without a rider and when they really get the hang of it (like Junior) then I get on but must admit that I'm a bit of a wimp as to height given that all I have to jump in are either dressage or western saddles.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu May 12, 2022 5:06 pm

Jumping is so great for them. I am trying to screw up the courage to try with Tesla. I think it will be a battle but would also help her a lot. I have an AP jumping saddle, but she's probably too wide for it now.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri May 13, 2022 4:26 am

I set up my teeny tiny XC jumps in the big field the other day and started cantering hills and small jumps. I think it's good too. Here is a boring bit of video that we enjoyed making lol. https://youtu.be/3aKxFHUHFO4

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri May 13, 2022 3:57 pm

Chisamba, looks like a ton of fun. I'm envious of all the green you have surrounding you, beautiful.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon May 16, 2022 9:20 pm

I had a moment to video transitions in shoulder in with Caliburn. The advantage is that it helps him stay connected and prevents his driving horse high head dropped back habit. What do you think?

https://youtube.com/shorts/Z4q2BOnnr2o?feature=share

And in trot.

https://youtube.com/shorts/PgSVpFZO5kc?feature=share

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon May 16, 2022 11:15 pm

He's looking great Chisamba!

khall

Postby khall » Tue May 17, 2022 12:07 am

That looks very helpful to keep Caliburn together.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue May 17, 2022 8:47 am

Chisamba wrote:I had a moment to video transitions in shoulder in with Caliburn. The advantage is that it helps him stay connected and prevents his driving horse high head dropped back habit. What do you think?

https://youtube.com/shorts/Z4q2BOnnr2o?feature=share

And in trot.

https://youtube.com/shorts/PgSVpFZO5kc?feature=share

I love transitions in SI, such a useful exercise.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue May 17, 2022 1:40 pm

I really liked the angle of the video, so clear to see what's going on in the transitions. Thanks Chisamba.

Return to “Dressage Training”