New Year, New Goals - January-February 2022

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
mari
Herd Member

Re: New Year, New Goals - January-February 2022

Postby mari » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:15 am

Just when I was patting myself on the back about good FCs, today they were a disaster :roll: Leaning on my hands, running through the bit, flinging himself around. Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuurgh. One step forward, two steps back. My instructor was supposed to video a bit today, she certainly looked like she was videoing, but there is nothing on my phone. Sigh...
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:33 pm

Mari I understand your frustration. Kimba is like that. One say I'll feel like it's all going great and then suddenly she is stressing and driving through the aids and anticipation in a negative way.

Ugb

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:10 pm

It's not even as cold here as in UT and CO, but I'm giving the girls a few days off. We had several days in a row of good work, and as long as they're getting turned out and fed, I doubt they'll miss me, and I needed to get some other things done. This weekend is looking a little milder, so we'll be back at it soon enough.

My last ride on Tesla we had a good canter to the left, and I got her onto the right lead on the first try. She swapped in back as we approached the corner, but she didn't stop on me, so I brought her down to a trot and called it a day. Very happy that she is trying. I posted some screen grabs on FB and people commented on how much she has grown. I compared to a pic from last summer, and yeah, she is really looking thick. I need to start shopping for a 32-34" girth. I have an assortment of lovely 30" girths if anyone is interested. :lol:
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:15 pm

Mari--you will get them back! Changes are such a finicky, tricky thing.

I don't envy anyone's frigid temperatures right now! I'm also experiencing Khall's warm front, though a bit cooler up here. Horses got vaccines on Tuesday, so MM had her standard post-injection swelling. So, I took advantage of the warmth yesterday and the fact that she was getting a day off to give her a pretty thorough bath. Her mane and tale probably need another round to really get the winter's worth of crud out, but it felt good to lather lather rinse rinse.

I had thought MM had lost some weight recently and the vet visit confirmed it. I'm debating whether to try to get some more weight on her with food (would probably start with upping her alfalfa) or to wait until spring grass comes in and see if that makes a difference.

Lateral work with RP is finally starting to get a bit more consistent. I still want more strength in it, but I'm starting to get a lot more control of the hind end. Right now, his SI takes a lot more outside leg than I am used to otherwise that outside hind will just fall out/start dragging and his quality of trot falls apart. But it's good for me to have to think of riding the whole horse more. No real progress on our lengthened trot, but I'm hoping more lateral work and trot poles will build some of the strength i think I need to get the sit and push we've been lacking.

My barn saga continues, but with a different twist. i have gone from feeling like I had no good options, to now having two (but what I really wanted was only one good and clear obvious option, hahaha!). My current BO told me that they have discussed and would be able to fit in a 20x40 (small size) dressage arena in addition to the covered, which is larger but will have jumps. It's not perfect, but it would work and make it possible for me to do what I needed and what a thoughtful thing for them to offer/consider. The tricky thing is timeline--I knwo them well enough to know that if they say they will, they will. But there is a lot they need to build up and so it might be 6months + before then. In the meantime (before they told me this), I found another barn that seems really great. It does not have a covered but has everything else I want and is VERY close to my trainer's facility (which does have a covered I could use if things were dire). Owners seem really lovely there also. And so now I am in decision angst. Definitely a good problem to have, but I am just obsessively making pro/con lists.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:37 pm

Blob, I would stay where I know the horses are happy and well cared for (ie a known quantity) rather than switch to a new place, but then again, I'm not fond of change, lol.

So, walking up the driveway after feeding the horses, I hit a small patch of ice and took a flyer, landing flat on my back and whacking my head. The ice was under a skiff of fresh snow, and I was thinking how odd to see it snowing when it's so cold out and wishing the wind would back off a bit. Anyways, the ice usually isn't all that slick when its 10 out, I'm much more careful when temps are in the upper 20's and we haven't seen that since the weekend!
Otoh, if it hadn't been so cold, I wouldn't have had my heavy parka on to cushion some of the blow, lol.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:04 pm

Owie, SueB. Hope the Noggin is OK!

demi

Postby demi » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:54 pm

Sorry about your header, SueB. We’ve been going through a lot of ice I'm thinking I should wear my helmet just to go outside….not really, but my bro and SIL had a flight out to Chicago yesterday and there were so many accidents on the way to the airport it was crazy. It made for a really long day yesterday.

Blob, if I was showing and doing as well as you are, I’d stay with the current owners. You can do most of your training in the small arena and then when the weather is bad, you can use the indoor. Even with jumps it will be better than missing opportunities to train because of rain and mud. Also, when the weather is furnace hot, it helps just to get out of the sun. And maybe they’ll get the small arena built sooner that you expect.

Riding has been hit or miss all week but next week is predicted to be back to warm sunny weather again. I’ve been watching videos of good first level tests and thinking about each step. Its and easy way of getting the rhythm of the test in my head. Like when to do the halfhalts, when to focus on breathing, etc. YouTube has lots of tests, some from actual shows with scores for each movement and I really appreciate that people have taken the time to post them.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:40 pm

OMG, I happen to be riding four horses in the clinic tomorrow, and I didn't sleep last night and I have to work tonight, but guess what, it takes freaking ages to clean tack for four horses. I'll get three hours sleep

demi

Postby demi » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:03 am

Wow, Chisamba. I think we should all chip in to buy you the Wonder Woman boots!! I wish i had that kind of energy. Is the clinic with Andrea? I hope you share some vid. The short clip you shared of Saiph in the clinic was super. The clip was short but it looked like you had the “second trot” starting!? I am looking forward to watching what you do with her.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:36 am

We had significant rain on Wednesday. I worked so it didn't affect my riding except my arena was still a bit wet on Thursday. I was limited in the where and what I could work on with both horses. Still, I was able to get some really good solid 'epiphany' moments with Junior coming through and lifting his wither in all three gaits. It took a bit of "OH YEAH I MEAN IT. I REALLY REALLY MEAN IT"; but by the end of my ride Junior was collecting, engaging and giving me lift off in the right direction. Today I took both boys to ride with my friend in lessons on each. We talked. I was frank without being impolite or hurtful since it's mostly my problem. My friend started by saying, "Well I really feel like I can ride through you; but I'll just have to take a different approach." She did and the lessons went so much better. Both horses did well and I'm happy to say that Junior had clean, on the aids changes both directions. Brandon is still struggling with the expectations of being a 'big boy' now; but we had some good moments and I have a clear idea on our path for the near future. He's not going to be ready to show for a while; but that's okay. He is definitely one who you can't over face and not suffer some huge setback; so, we're going to take our time with him. Today his 'distraction' was the neighbor's barn cat LOL. He really wanted to get to know him which the cat could have cared less but I can tell that Brandon's 'squirrel' moments are a reflection of his breed's reputation of maturing at a slower rate LOL. Baby horses are always fun. Hope those who are healing do so quickly and the weather improves for those suffering from frigid temps and inhospitable precipitation.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:54 pm

Ow Sue, hope your head is feeling better and the warmer temps are making it over your way!

Chisamba, I couldn't imagine doing four clinic rides, much less on three hours of sleep. Hope you have a great clinic though!

Exvet, glad you were able to communicate with your instructor and get on a better path.

After taking three days off this week, I went out yesterday and rode. It was lovely and sunny, and to my surprise the outdoor was not a frozen brick, so I had a nice ride on Annabelle, but kept it short as I'm planning to ride both days this weekend. For Tesla, I decided lunging in side reins would be good after the short break. She was quite good with that, even though the temperature was plummeting as the sun set. It looks like we're on a warming trend, but with some rain in the forecast, but I can always ride in the indoor first thing in the morning, so looking forward to some consistent work the next few weeks.

The show schedule for the year is starting to roll out and I'm trying to decide what to shoot for. Ideally, I'd like to show 1st a couple more times and then try out 2nd at a schooling show. There will be one recognized show at the end of August, and it seems realistic for us to be fairly solid at 2nd by then if we don't have any setbacks and I'm able to get semi regular lessons. OTOH, I'd also like to think that Tesla will be ready to have a try at training or first by then (they have opportunity classes). With her, it feels like once I have the obedience, first won't be much harder than TL as lengthenings and LY are no challenge for her.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:13 am

When I got home I hadn't cooked for the clinic and was so behind, I asked my CO worker is she needed overtime and she agreed to cover for me. So I cooked and baked and slept. Yay. The clinic went well, but unfortunately Mikhail. Had to work so I did not get video. Yes the clinic was with Andrea. I have felt like I was treading water and not getting anywhere most winter. It was very good to have Andrea's input, and direction. Kimba and Saiph were introduced to preliminary passage and in Saiphs case a soft relaxed cadence preliminary piaffe. We did canter half pass with just one or two steps sideways then one or two steps forward, and then sideways again to confirm balance and quality of collection.

I was really pleased that she said all the horses had improved. On my client horse it was forward work to get his giant tush to track up and carry leg yield without losing the stepping up. His canter was deemed hugely improved.
We had a ridiculous snow and ice storm yesterday but the weather was nice enough to ride today

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:04 pm

Chisamba wrote:
I was really pleased that she said all the horses had improved. On my client horse it was forward work to get his giant tush to track up and carry leg yield without losing the stepping up. His canter was deemed hugely improved.
We had a ridiculous snow and ice storm yesterday but the weather was nice enough to ride today

I understand how gratifying it is to get validation for all your work. I think often we don't give ourselves enough credit and I know at least I have a tendency to get tunnel vision on the things that aren't quite right as opposed to recognizing all that is good. Glad you had a good clinic.

I rode Brandon in the arena yesterday and he too was so much better than even the day before likely due to fewer distractions. I really worked on getting him to accept my leg (each side) and yield to it in terms of bending. He is very responsive in terms of moving away as in the leg yield and turn on the forehand; but, bending has been meeting a bit of a middle hoof response from him. Yesterday it was so much better and voila we had our prompt and correct canter departs again as a result.

I rode Junior out on the trail yesterday and we had a blast just cantering the four miles working on forward and back and relaxation. He is such a different horse on the trail in terms of not being too tight between the ears so to speak. Today I worked on canter quality and yes, again, forward clean changes were there. I now am working on getting him to stay through to the bridle after the change and continue working; so, it's leg yield in the canter, flying change and 10-15 meter circle to regroup then forward and back in the canter, rinse and repeat. Even if the canter isn't our bright spot yet (though it's much, much better) his medium trot is showing the pay-off in the strength building. I'm feeling a bit better about things as well. I used to put so much pressure on myself to hit certain milestones in a given time-frame due to the breeding, need to sell horses, campaigning for the same reason, etc. It's nice to just enjoy the progress for no other reason than to stay true to the origins of dressage and see how much better the horse(s) become as an individual.

Our weather is supposed to really improve and be lovely over the next week. Hopefully the wildflowers will start to pop and be in full glory by the following week. I'll try to get some pictures when that happens, if for no other reasons so I can look back when it's so stinking hot and miserable to remind myself why I live here LOL..........

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:22 pm

I'm going to be down your way the week after next, exvet... looking forward to seeing the desert on bloom!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:20 am

Time for closeout, though I'll probably ride tomorrow:

So for January-February, I'm putting myself at the top of the goals list:
Start going to the gym 2x a week to get back in my core/strength training routine No go there. DH came home from Canada with Covid. I did join Dressage Rider Training and have stayed on schedule for the first 7 weeks
Run 3x a week when it's not icy At least 2x pretty much every week.
Walk at lunch Yes
Daily Feldenkrais sessions About 50%
Clean eating 90% of the timeClose, maybe 80-85%

Tesla
In-hand work, get a solid SI both directions. Start towards half steps I got lazy on the IH
Double lunging, continue to improve the right lead Yes, she is much better in canter both ways, and we've gotten the right lead under saddle a couple times, just can't hold it
Riding W/T in the indoor once the snow is off the roof (she hates when the barn makes noises) Yes, she has been quite good with that
Hauling out if/when weather and my work schedule allow I've prioritized field trips for A, but T has had a short loading practice each time I bring the trailer out

Annabelle
IH work towards half steps Laziness
Longitudinal suppleness - staying active with the hind leg and basculing to the bit Yes, this is getting much more consistent.
W/C/W transitions Just today we had what I would call our first show-worthy simple change. C/W from the right lead is still challenged, but getting better
Adjustability in the trot Have not worked on this as much as I should, but I think it's better than where we were two months ago
Staying IFL in the lateral work Yes, we did lots of SI to lengthen in the trot, and she has stayed snappier. Last two rides we had some pretty decent trot HP. I've also worked some things out that have improved the quality of our LY, and A seems more supple and able to cross overall.

Video of T from today, just the third time cantering after leaving it alone all winter. https://youtu.be/lwn4D1gSf1A
Keep calm and canter on.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:47 am

Chisamba wrote:I was really pleased that she said all the horses had improved. On my client horse it was forward work to get his giant tush to track up and carry leg yield without losing the stepping up. His canter was deemed hugely improved.

Such a good confirmation of the work you've been doing, give yourself a pat! :D
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:27 pm

Tesla looks massive! And hugely improved canter vid Straightfoward, sometimes they just need the time.

Sounds like a good kick in the pants clinic Chisamba. Blob, I feel for you on the 'new' barn search decisions, I'm a bit worried that the shoe is about to drop at the place we are at.

Here's to seeing the end of February!!

Section Goals:
Ride when not weathering/freezing temps Yes, for the most part. Although we're completely over our home indoor at the time being.
Truck out to large arena rental 6x Almost, we made it out 4 times due to weather restrictions.
Ride w/Trainer in clinics if/when she comes up from Florida Complete! We did the 2 clinics even soldiering through massive cold for the first one and hurricane winds for the second.
Ride the horse you have underneath you, whether that's halt-halts and going around nicely or touching upon lateral work/gait improvement Lived by this mantra, it was a mix of trying to go around or working on Canter walk canter transitions. Little in between, lol

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:13 pm

I hit most of my goals for this section though I decided that Brandon isn't going to be ready for public viewing at a show any time soon. I still plan to take him to a schooling show in May. We'll see if he makes it into the arena in front of a judge or not. The sad thing is, though, having been through this so many times before in the past is that I could take him and muscle him around and score reasonably well. His gaits are that good and he tends to stay relaxed through the back regardless of his histrionics in defiance. Still, I can tell that mentally he simply is not ready. He's a pretty good boy in terms of taking most things in stride. He just isn't ready to 'grow up' or deal with the mental demands of being a big boy. I rode him on a 6-mile trail yesterday. He was perfect until mile marker 5 and then his attention span, willingness and overall demeanor hit the crapper. It's like this in my lessons with him as well. He has a definite time limit and then he is 'DONE'. My instructor made the comment on Friday that we have to give Junior breaks due to the physical demands of his work in order to avoid muscle fatigue and injury but with Brandon it's his mind that needs the breaks. His energy level knows no bounds, but mental fatigue is going to be an ever-present training boundary that I will always have to keep in mind if I hope to advance him over time. While recognition of that is enough for me to make sure to not to cross that edge, I will have to be careful of who I ride with because once pushed over the edge I'm not sure he's one who could come back, at least not easily. Any clinics with 'outside' clinicians will be chosen very carefully, though, that won't even be a topic considered for at least another year or two.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:12 pm

Since I did not have really any goals going into this time frame other than try to find my foster dog Henry a home which has not happened yet. I did get back into riding mid/late January and weather permitting I’ve continued with the riding. Joplin is going extremely well both riding out in the hay fields and in the arena. Had a big ah ha moment Friday right lead. It’s my right shoulder. Once I get the shoulder where it’s supposed to be the right lead is fabulous. WC is there engagement is there. She just is not quite as strong right lead as left. What an incredible canter she has to ride. She just wells up in front in a big elevated animated canter. I even did a bit of forward and back left lead. Joplin’s trot work is just exemplary now to catch up the canter to her trot work. All the lateral work comes just so easy for her in trot. Medium trot is there with more up in front. The canter just needs strength and time.
Joplin’s piaffe in hand is so good and she was offering some passage in hand. Was not really asking just was doing some trot work in hand and there was the passage. She is such a special horse and I’m so appreciative of having her to ride.

Gaila for the most part is going well also. The times we have issues is when her focus is on something outside. Then she busts around trying to ignore me. Blow me off. Last night I happened to have her on the line and she decided to focus on the cat messing around in the field next to where we were working. I tried a couple of different things and I think the one that worked the best was halt RB then back to work if she goes charging off halt RB. Rinse repeat. That flipped a switch for her. Got her back with me. I’m also happy with her diagnolizing work. She’s not giving me piaffe yet but the posture and diagnolizing is there. Happy with that. Both girls SW is good. Joplin has huge shoulder reach Gaila not quite as much but she tries hard.

Love love my mares.

Looking forward to spring as many of you are too I know!

blob

Postby blob » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:47 pm

blob wrote::

Me: My goals were pretty much a fail across the board, yikes. Will need to do better this time around or be less ambitious...
Workout at home 2x a week
Find better work/life balance boundaries--stop checking email after 7pm
Figure out PIVO and film myself riding 2x a month
Get back to waking up early

MM:
Keep working on building an elastic leg to hand connection at the walk Worked on this plenty, lots still to come
Practice cantering the square didn't even try
Jumping/poles 1x a week Yes!
Groundwork 1x a week yes!
Master the raised walk poles in hand, yes! still need work under saddle

RP:
Keep working on walk-trot transitions yes!
Keep working on w-c-w transitions including changing up leads yes! though a bit of a break in the last few weeks
trot poles 1x a week not quite once a week, but more frequently
Play with changes didn't try
Get in at least 1 lesson yes! and actually got 1 in with each
Ride through 1-3 at least 2x nope...

Exvet: always love hearing your reports of what you're working on. Sounds like good change work. Have you played with changes any on the trail?
SF: Tesla is looking good and her transitions into canter seem a lot more willing and through than last time. Is she still on the GutX?
Chisamba: so glad the clinic was a success. What did Andrea have you work on to get forward and over with the client horse's big tush?

Small update that I have made the decision to leave my current barn owners, it was a hard decision and not what I wanted to do. But after talking to them there is too much that is uncertain about the final makeup and timeline of their new place. It's not their fault, but the timeline has been accelerated for them. And now there is also not a guarantee that they will be able to get the covered up as they wanted because of permitting issues. They also made it clear that they full understand and expect some boarders to leave and in fact it would be best for them if some did leave. It's hard to leave them and scary to venture into a new space. But I think that it is the right thing to do and maybe once things settle with my current owners I could come back.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:37 pm

Blob, I assume you are going with the other barn option you mentioned earlier - I hope it works out well for you! The good thing is that it doesn't have to be permanent and you can go to your current BO's new place in the future if it makes sense.

blob wrote:SF: Tesla is looking good and her transitions into canter seem a lot more willing and through than last time. Is she still on the GutX?

Thanks, yes she is still on GutX. I also have this theory that she was going through asymmetrical lumbar wing fusion (I think there are more accurate technical terms). As Aleuronx notes, she is pretty massive, so she was definitely going through a lot of growth the last couple months. I'm about to need a 32" girth for her and I'm worried she is going to outgrow my XW hoop tree saddle. Overall she just seems more like she is trying to cooperate. The Novocontact bit has been helping a lot as we're starting to get some honest contact and starting to develop the idea of stretching. I am ALLLMOST starting to look forward to riding her. :lol:
Keep calm and canter on.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:59 pm

demi wrote:
So, goals this time:

ME: -Intermittant fasting MWF 16/8 nope
-Continue 5 days a week workout with weights [color=#00FF00]almost-all of Jan but then I had to back off to 3X/week because I added aerobics and injured myself[/color]
-No alcohol unless we have company or a scheduled “wine FaceTime” with my mom. Almost…..
-in general, increase my fitness yes! In spite of injury

Rocky: -continue riding 5 days a week, (2X trail and 3X arena) almost, lost a few days in Feb due to weather
-continue working on her canter stride with legyeild at canter Yes, fairly happy with her canter now
-work on trot lengthenings. Yes, but still need more work
-video First level test 1 no, but I did ride it. Weather is my excuse….
-in general, increase her fitness yes

Im torn about starting lessons back this period. I still feel that we both need to be fitter and more advanced in order to benefit from my current trainer. Didnt take any lessons, but maybe next round

demi

Postby demi » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:08 pm

SF, good progress on Tesla in general, and the canter looks good. She has been a real handful so it’s especially nice to see her looking so good. Thanks for posting the vid. I really appreciate being able to actually see what you are talking about. Worlds are good, but visuals are a nice bonus.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:15 pm

StraightForward wrote:. I am ALLLMOST starting to look forward to riding her. :lol:

With this optimistic statements I'm curious to know what you will call the next two month goal thread

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:21 pm

I got the notice of the Diamond Achievement a few weeks back. I actually had all of the qualifications years ago, but they didn't come up with this until recently. I know ya'll know who I am--no secret!
https://yourdressage.org/2022/02/28/the ... -bymbeaux/

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:41 pm

Tanga wrote:I got the notice of the Diamond Achievement a few weeks back. I actually had all of the qualifications years ago, but they didn't come up with this until recently. I know ya'll know who I am--no secret!
https://yourdressage.org/2022/02/28/the ... -bymbeaux/

I thoroughly enjoyed reading that!! I didn't actually know who you are but with your girls names and riding FEI I could have found it if I was a sleuth.

My name is my farm name so I'm very findable too. Lol.
Last edited by Chisamba on Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:52 pm

Thanks for sharing Tanga! Love reading about your journey! What a fun award to get. Congratulations!!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:33 pm

Tanga, That is so awesome congratulations. I thoroughly enjoyed it as well. I didn't know who you were but I would have figured it out with the horses :)

As someone with very modest means you are definitely inspiring. It's not easy but you show it's possible with determination and good riding! And good horses!

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:37 am

Tanga Thank you for posting your story! I thoroughly enjoyed your journey. It’s very inspiring.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:31 am

Congrats, Tanga! An award well earned!

Potters nearly managed to spin me off today. I'm sitting here nursing my shoulder, which he jerked around quite successfully, and I've just noticed that the finger I dislocated last year is now going black and is rather sore.

However, we had a bit of a CTJ moment and I put him right back to work, so I guess I won this round. It was just plain naughtiness and "I don't want to" on his part. He's feeling fit and fresh, and doesn't know how to object mildly to doing something difficult, I think. It's just a binary reaction.

Ah, spring. Tomorrow is another day.

As far as this period's goals go, the whole shoulder thing has interfered quite a bit. But I would say I'm riding better than I was and making slow improvements. I just need to get the orange one's emotions under control.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:34 am

Congrats and thank you for sharing, Tanga!

khall

Postby khall » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:55 am

Dang mountaineer! I hate those spin spooks. That’s a Rip move. He would prop then do a 180. Hard to stay on. I certainly don’t miss riding that!

Hope your shoulder and finger aren’t too sore tomorrow!

Our weather is about to get warm. Too warm for this early in the spring. Our peach trees already have blossoms on them.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:39 am

Congratulations Tanga! Great story. You’ve truly earned your awards and I feel lucky that you’re sharing your journey with us on DDBB.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:07 am

Thank you, everyone. 40 years of trying. It's interesting. They edited out a few phrases here and there not to "offend."

After I had to put Zuri down, "This about killed me, along with learning what a true sociopath is in selling her daughter doing all the I-1 work, dirt cheap to a "friend." " became "This about killed me, having sold her daughter, who was doing all the Intermediate 1 work, for cheap."

and
"I have to admit, pulling in next to $100K rigs and being the FEI rides is kind of fun."
became
" I have to admit, pulling in with my rig next to several thousand dollar setups, and being in the FEI rides is kind of fun."

I guess we don't want to call out the sociopaths and rich people. That's where the money is. Sigh.

Sorry, Mountaineer. See, THAT is why I am not making me babies (besides the fact I can't afford it.) I can not be doing any more of those falls. I used to bounce back up. now it just hurts for a long time, or is added to the list of stuff that will always hurt!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:56 am

Great article Tanga, very inspirational to read about how you've made it happen!
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:08 am

Tanga, you are definitely one of my heroes and you're just shy of my age ;) I too rode apps though not in dressage. I am in awe of your ability to see their potential to ages that most would pass on. So many here, you, Chisamba and so many more are inspiring. This community has value beyond tangible words.

Blob I have played with changes on the trail and I think it's the key to our 'keep relaxed but up the ante' focus. We'll see if I can keep 'it cool, understated, yet ever correct....LOL'

Return to “Dressage Training”