New Year, New Goals - January-February 2022

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: New Year, New Goals - January-February 2022

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:46 pm

Someone shut the bathroom door halfway down the aisle attached to the indoor ring this morning, and Potters' world apparently came to an end. Talk about an over reaction, again. I can sit chilly and ignore and ride through it, but it does get a bit tedious, so I'm thinking I may need to change my approach a bit and reprimand him for it. I dont think it will escalate the situation. But who knows...

I'm trying to be fair. I can see being startled by the sheets of ice sliding off the barn roof, that startles me, too! But some of the other stuff is a game and an evasion to coming through to do the harder work.

Am grateful for silicon seated breeches and really looking forward to getting out of the indoor arena...

khall

Postby khall » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:39 pm

Had a wonderful ride on Gaila today! Much more with me and not just charging around. Did a bit of CC and HI at the canter. I’ve got to find the sweet spot though of asking her to come back and stay with me yet not break. In the canter. Just need to work at it.

I had to stay off Joplin the bumps I had injected were a bit tender so I wih instead. Here’s a bit of the piaffe and SW we played with. She was a bit looky in the arena but nothing too bad. Wind had kicked up and it was getting close to dinner time.

https://www.facebook.com/10000086155357 ... 83069/?d=n

demi

Postby demi » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:19 am

Joplin is lovely! Thanks for sharing the vid.

Darn, Mountaineer. I wonder if the weather extremes are affecting him. My half Arab half warmblood mare (Emma) gets really silly when the weather is strange. We have strong cold fronts that can drop the temp 50 degrees really fast and she gets nervous and wild when that happens.

Rocky had a really good work out yesterday and made up for the day before when the wind and noisey neighbor distracted us both. So today I did a trail ride. I took her over fairly rough terrain and up and down the hill a few times, but rode in western tack on a long rein so it was different type of work than in the arena. The varied work is as good for me as it is for her.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:23 am

Great video Khall! That looks really cold, good heavens
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

khall

Postby khall » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:22 pm

Actually mari I’m in Georgia and we are having a warming trend after a cold wet windy weekend. Brr was it cold for us! About 60 F yesterday. Warming up even more tomorrow and Saturday.

I don’t know how some who live in the frozen north have horses and survive the winters. I’m glad I live in the SE where we don’t have to bury water lines 6’ down!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:23 pm

It is a nice video Khall.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:27 pm

This is cold Mari lol. It's been so icy I had to close the barn to clients and all the despite wearing ice cleats I bust my butt.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220210-094933_Facebook_320x233.jpg
Screenshot_20220210-094933_Facebook_320x233.jpg (63.44 KiB) Viewed 5155 times

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:08 pm

Chisamba, it has been so cold so long here that we wound up putting 2 tank heaters in the horse trough, rather than breaking ice every morning and evening. The horses were happier to drink the warmer water, but it is a bit costly on our power bill, hehe.

I may have had Covid (everyone else did January so...); if it was, it was mild but made my muscles crazy sore and did a number on energy and endurance. Weather is allegedly warming up starting today, so hoping to ride soon! Last attempt, I got so tired pulling blankets and grooming that I gave up and put their blankets back on, lol.

Anyway, here are Tio and Rabbit waiting for breakfast this foggy morning. Happy to wake up to temps in the teens :D :D Finally out of single digits! I have a picture of me me with my frozen hair, but y'all don't wanna see my wrinkly old face. :lol:

Another frosty morning 2022.jpg
Another frosty morning 2022.jpg (30.73 KiB) Viewed 5138 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:37 pm

Sue B wrote:Chisamba, it has been so cold so long here that we wound up putting 2 tank heaters in the horse trough, rather than breaking ice every morning and evening. The horses were happier to drink the warmer water, but it is a bit costly on our power bill, hehe.

I may have had Covid (everyone else did January so...); if it was, it was mild but made my muscles crazy sore and did a number on energy and endurance. Weather is allegedly warming up starting today, so hoping to ride soon! Last attempt, I got so tired pulling blankets and grooming that I gave up and put their blankets back on, lol.

Anyway, here are Tio and Rabbit waiting for breakfast this foggy morning. Happy to wake up to temps in the teens :D :D Finally out of single digits! I have a picture of me me with my frozen hair, but y'all don't wanna see my wrinkly old face. :lol:

Another frosty morning 2022.jpg

The tank heater is in there. It's why there is water in the bottom unfortunately my electric will not tolerate the amperage needed for two per tank, and I have 10 tanks to keep water in. But I know they're are worse places lol

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:44 am

Chisamba, that gave me flashbacks to my life up the mountain. Roll on Spring!

So, I'm an idiot, I think... Potters escalating bad behavior is probably all my fault. He was a bit of a monster for my trainer today--I was watching not riding as I went to the barn after physio and was feeling fairly dreadful, so she volunteered to ride. He's normally on his best behavior with her and he was, not to put too fine a point on it, at total shithead. He was also shifty on the cross ties, which is totally out of character.

Driving home, I was trying to think what the heck had changed since last weekend when he was just a gem, easy and calm and fun to ride.

And, I realized that I had upped his alfalfa and rice bran pellet mix quite a bit in the baggies he started on Monday. Thats a lot of extra protein. He been bulking up but still needs a bit more, and I was being greedy and trying to speed up the process,

A few weeks ago, I tried him on a ration balancer in addition to the alfalfa/rice bran mix, to get the vitamins and minerals into him, and it obviously just pushed him over the edge, behavior wise, so I think I managed to do the same thing again.

So, I'll back him off and see what happens. Just wondering whether to go to timothy pellets and really back him off. I might well, just to see.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:13 am

Mountaineer, lynx has been similar. I think it's being stuck in the indoor for rides/cold weather and his age. But I've had other horse's react to diet stuff such as you mentioned. I used tri amino with good results. Not as cheap but never made any of mine hot or spooky.

One was really reactive to rice bran. Another would get high on Alfalfa!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:55 am

He's been pretty good so far on the rice bran and alfalfa. He gets an amino acid supplement as well, though really, I think it's probably just making expensive pee when he's on alfalfa. He's not the easiest to feed with his dietary sensitivities, and I think maybe I just pushed the envelope this week!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:01 am

Moutaineer is he sensitive to Teff? I use Teff rather than orchard grass as cool calories. I also add oil for cool calories but I think you consult with a nutritionist so my suggestions may be superfluous.

I am looking forward to spring.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:57 am

:lol: Chisamba that is a hard no thanks from me! We South Africans do not understand cold AT ALL.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:30 pm

I'm just floating. Been an icey hellscape same as chisamba, warmed up the last few days and back to freezing over the weekend upcoming.

Kora is barefoot which I normally like but man she almost beefed it slipping on ice trying to get up to the barn on Wednesday. Work has been hot and heavy so I won't make it back out until tomorrow and my plan is to wash her tail in the warm mid 40s.

I had a nice ride up at large arena rental last Sunday and will try to get up there again this weekend. My horse is still in there, just not as home indoor, a great relief. Otherwise it's lunging and hibernating until the great melt.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:54 pm

Mountaineer- I forgot about his diet sensitivities. Hopefully he gets his focus back quickly with a few minor changes.

Aleuronx- winter is so tough. It truly is something that some of us just have to get through! At least you get to haul out and that goes well!

Lynx was Fabolous for my lesson today. We had a storm blowing in so I threw him on the lunge for about 10 minutes just to see where his mind was. He was great. He naturally was stretching down, more focused and not going around so crooked!

And under saddle he was relaxed and focused right away. We had some great leg yields and some really good shoulder in. I look forward to riding tomorrow :)

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:03 am

It was so unseasonably warm today that I rode in a tank top and summer breeches :shock: I don't know if it was the heat, or shock that I rode her four times this week, but Maia decided she was on vacation, and was not at all interested in working.

Pushing Maia forward is counterproductive. That girl is stubborn, and rather than responding to "GO" with forward, I have to fight for every single step. The easiest way to engage her mind and body is to do something she hates. Today I went with walk-trot transitions (canter trot are equally hated). After about 16 minutes she was getting amped up. By 20 minutes she was ticked and chomping at the bit. Then we had a nice, big forward trot ... and a very productive ride :lol:

Some day she's going to figure out I'm manipulating her, but it hasn't happened yet.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:19 am

Yes Mountaineer, I think a lot of them lose their minds this time of year.

Kyra was better today. A bit more revved than I like but 1/2 halts actually went through. We even dared to canter. A bit strung out and quick at first but I eventually got her better balanced. She hasn't been cantered with me on her for quite awhile. We ended with with a stroll up the hill on the barn property. She decided that last 30 yards was hard work. That means we need to start doing that every ride so when it is a bit warmer and they aren't so schizo and distracted, we can begin doing trails across the street. That hill is much longer and steeper so we will start slowly.

Susan

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:41 am

It's been a beautiful week of weather here, in the 40's today, blue skies, sunshine. Absolutely gorgeous, but exactly what we do not need. It's been brutally cold and icy, but we haven't seen a flake of snow or a drop of precipitation for 6 weeks. (Half the barn is trailering down to the show at Thermal the middle of next week, so that should break the weather!)

I chased around and found some Timothy pellets this morning, so we'll see if that settles the brains a little 8% vs 17% protein has got to help. Trainer feels positive that it will. He got his little tush kicked by her today. I am in awe of that woman--she fell down the stairs three weeks ago and snapped the end off of her coccyx. Today, she's out there on him laughing at his antics. However, he also gave her some lovely work. Now she's back in the saddle, I think I'm going to get her on him at least once a week, so he gets a chance to do more interesting stuff than I am capable of at the moment. I suspect he may be rather bored.

He's been ridden 6 days in a row, which I'm sure he thinks is against Horse Union rules, so he's getting the weekend off to get his head together, and then back at it on Monday, when we hope to have a relaxed horse more focused to the good!

Chisamba, I don't think I have seen Teff out here in the Wild West... I will look into it. Thanks for the suggestion!

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:11 am

Mountaineer, Teff is available in N. California. Sometimes I see it advertised on Craigslist. My air fern loves it but he loves everything.
The air fern, aka Piglet, is lame again :roll: We're 4 weeks into the shoeing cycle and I think he's said that's enough. I've been down this road so many times with him and his funky laminitic foot that I could set a clock by this. He's saying my feet are uneven and I want these metal things off. Trying to get a hold of the farrier to come take a look.
We are having a heat wave. Don't kill the messenger. ;) I want rain and lots of it to help with this drought. I had to turn on the irrigation today so the garden doesn't shrivel up.
Non horse related news. DD#1 is back from her stint with MSF in South Sudan. I picked her up at the airport today. Her BF's younger brother is out of the hospital and it looks like the TBI will be minor. Our family is very relieved.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:47 am

mari wrote::lol: Chisamba that is a hard no thanks from me! We South Africans do not understand cold AT ALL.

Ja, I am a former Zambian / South African. ( eastern cape) I get homesick every winter.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:25 am

Yes, I see Teff is available from Standlee. It has 12% protein, so could be a useful thing to have in the back pocket if the Timothy pellets aren't enough. I know he was on Timothy pellets when I bought him, but he also lacked muscle.

We will experiment. The hay is very good at this barn, so everything else should be a bit of an extra.for a hottie like him, as long as we are feeding him appropriately to make muscles, and not cause brain farts!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:26 pm

It's been gorgeous here. Yesterday was in the low 80s. Brandon has taken a few steps back in some ways, becoming more difficult to get him to strike off at the canter in the appropriate balance but we're working through it. He's again a bit more reticent about coming into the contact and we're working through that too. What's different now is that when he's good he's really, really good and yup when he's bad he's almost horrid LOL. Likely it's due to the fact that I'm expecting him to start putting on his big boy britches and not being quite as 'coddling', within reason.

I took both boys to have a lesson yesterday on each. Loading went okay as did hauling. Brandon stressed over it more than he had in the past. I put both boys in the round pen and then tacked up Junior to ride first. I had a good lesson on creating a really good, collected canter with insistence that he was coming over his back and jumping in the canter. Most of the changes were pretty good, all clean. I had some anticipation and changes before I really asked but by the end of the lesson, he was changing off my seat. Brandon was in the round pen and could see Junior but really didn't care about what was going on. Then I switched horses. OMG Junior was a raging lunatic once I got on Brandon. He could see him. He easily could keep him in his sights the entire time I rode around the arena, but he worked himself into a lather running and running hard, throwing himself into the fencing, etc. He finally got a bit more chill by the end of Brandon's lesson. Needless to say, Brandon's focus was more than a bit challenged throughout the ride. He gave me some good moments though interspersed with occasional fussiness. The good news is that everyone survived, no unplanned dismounts, and both sailed on the trailer in order to go home. The greatest stress for me, though, was the trip home. Heavy traffic and constant re-routing due to accidents which turned the typical 1 hour 10 min drive into 1 hour and 40 minutes. The boys were exhausted when I unloaded them. Though in many ways I'd rather not do 'that' again, I plan to take both boys next week, same time, same bat channel and will continue to do so until the umbilical cord that Junior seems to possess has shriveled up and dropped off.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:12 pm

Moutaineer, they grow Teff right here in Albion, Idaho. My neighbor even used to grow it but alfalfa is more profitable. Anyhoo, teff should be pretty easy to find.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:52 pm

Mountaineer...you should be able to find some teff hay. The problem with our colder winter climate is that at 40 degrees, the plant dies. It has to be reseeded every year. It is an African grass. Probably why SueB's neighbor finds is more profitable to grow alfalfa. We have gotten it around Boise and my last barn owner planted it twice. She got 2-3 cuttings of teff (it grows wicked fast) then used the old teff plants as cover to reseed to her normal grass/alfalfa mix.

I like teff. The horses don't seem super excited about it but that is nice because they eat it slowly and it provided them a lot more chew time. My horse never left any.

exvet...amazing isn't it. Haul them together once and they are strongly attached. I have had that happen when I hauled a friend to shows with my mare.
Oh my, he fell in love on the trip (4 hours) and his attachment and behavior quite surprised his owner. He did settle over the weekend so yeah...mileage together and apart ;) .

Susan

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:18 pm

Chisamba wrote:This is cold Mari lol. It's been so icy I had to close the barn to clients and all the despite wearing ice cleats I bust my butt.

:o :o to that photo! Ok yep, that's cold.

Sue B, show us your pic with frozen hair! I think the age group here is largely wrinkles (me included) so we wont care.

We've had a mild summer, it's been so nice. Paddocks are still green due to higher rainfall than usual. I had to mow a paddock the horses have been grazing in. Normally we'd be getting quite bare and dry by now.

I went to a competition and made it through without being eliminated (working equitation). Ding hates going backwards through the gate, but we've been practising and he made it through, he was still a little suss :)

(Pic by Hergott photography)
IG-Thumbnail.jpeg
IG-Thumbnail.jpeg (43.44 KiB) Viewed 4943 times

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:16 am

Flight, lovely photo!! We did a working equitation clinic a bit ago (in hand.) Lynx was very brave for all of it but that gate portion seemed like it would be a challenge!

Exvet, I take some comfort knowing that I'm not the only one going through the young horse attitude stage. Lynx is very on and off. Yesterday he was an angel (although we did lunge for about 10 minutes first...) Today was our planned walk only ride since we can't yet hack outside. It was supposed to be relaxing but instead Lynx caught me by surprise by spooking hard in the scary corner (which wasn't scary at all yesterday.) Today there is some people sitting in the bleachers over there and that really startled him. He spooked hard enough that I was kind of on the side of the saddle for a moment but I stayed on and he calmed down.

Tomorrow, I'm crossing my fingers that there's at least a section in the outer window dry enough to work in. He will be having a little bit more of a work day tomorrow!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:21 am

Finally a video for this year: https://youtu.be/TU1HpR7aVyY Today was about transitions, tomorrow will be more lateral work. I'm feeling good that our winter work is paying off. Getting to feel a little more self carriage and forward/back within the gaits most of the time. Now that we are able to work outside we need to get back to working on counter canter too. Can't wait to take some lessons in a couple weeks!
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:11 am

I had a nice ride today. Some tension but I was able to test a few buttons and they were all there including some nice trot lengthening. Then we hiked up the hill on the property to get her started on easy hill work so that when it warms up a bit and the deer have moved back up in the hills, we can attempt the local trails. The one across from the barn is quite a hill for the first 1/4 mile and I want some hill base on her.

My weight loss is stalled but no gain back at least. I am getting an estimate from one fitness company on using a continuous glucose monitor for weight loss. I am know I have metabolic syndrome and am probably pre-diabetic so would really like to see how food affects my blood sugar and get those conditions reversed. I think seeing those effects real time can really help me make more appropriate food choices and I don't have to be sticking my fingers all the time. I haven't seen the cost yet but I can put the program on my HSA. I am ready to get healthy. With just what I have done so far, I can tell all my generalized inflammation is much decreased.

Susan

demi

Postby demi » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:09 am

Ding looks so focused in the gate picture, Flight. Quite handsome, too!

I’ve been feeling the results of getting more fit lately but I think I overdid the JaneFonda aerobic dance routines. At least I hope I just overdid it and that my hips aren’t going bad. They are painful going up and down stairs, doing any kind of twisting motion, when laying down, and when riding, especially in my western saddle. I tried working through it for a week but it seemed to get worse so I’ve backed off the aerobic dance stuff for a while. I started to lose weight when I increased the aerobics so I want to get back to it asap.

The riding is going pretty good other than the hip pain. I am working on getting a decent trot lengtheing so I can video First level test 1 before the end of this goals period. We still have a couple weeks left so I might make it.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:38 pm

My gosh, the wind is cold today. It is cold (9 F) but the wind is sharp and unpleasant. Oh well full bellies make happy warm horses.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:41 pm

While cold for February here in E TN, it is *sunny* and that makes riding oh so much more enjoyable. I have been so pleased to do the most simple schooling work with Emi, with lots of focus on transitions within and between gaits to help her build back strength. I was so excited the other day when she was able to easily go back and forth between working and collected canter and back again. Like SF, transitions are our theme! I'm also being very strict about balance---if I feel she is tired and unable to remain a good "square" in balance, we take a break or call it a day on the work.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:55 pm

Flight that is a fantastic picture--Ding looks beautiful.

Chisamba, you've had a really rough winter--I do not envy you and I hope you get some relief soon!

SF--thanks for sharing the video! I will look again and comment more thoroughly in video thread but my first thought was that there is definite improvement since the last video you shared--so cool to see the progress.

I was out of town for a week, so looking forward to getting back on the horses and to see how RP is doing and whether that toe dragging is still going on...
My biggest update, however, is that it looks like I will need to find a new barn and I'm really sad about it. i love my current barn, the BOs are fantastic, and I really enjoy the fellow boarders. They are moving to a new property and I was planning to move with them, but I have now learned that the new property will only have one arena which will be set up with jumps, making it not very practical for me. Currently there is one arena set up with jumps and one that is empty. I'm really bummed about having to look for a new place but I think it is the right move. I have reached out to a couple options in the same general vicinity as I am now, which would mean I could still easily trailer to my instructor for lessons. But if those don't pan out I will have to look in other areas, which would be more difficult.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:39 pm

I know it's not ideal, but could you move facilities with your barn mates if you don't find the perfect place by then, Blob?

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:01 pm

It's stressful moving barns. I hope you find the "right" new place, Blob!

I've been so lucky with my recent barn move. Should have done it years ago, even though I don't love all the driving.

Having said that, there will be no riding for me for a couple of days. The now unseasonably warm weather is loosening gigantic chunks of ice off the eastern end of the arena roof, which hit the metal wall of the arena as they come down. It sounds like cannon fire in there! Trainer has basically closed the arena to riding, which I think is very sensible. Neither we nor our horses need to be subjected to that. The outdoor is still covered in snow and ice, so there we are.

The barn was taking half a dozen horses down to Thermal to show later in the week. They've just cancelled because of the EHV outbreak.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:43 pm

heddylamar wrote:I know it's not ideal, but could you move facilities with your barn mates if you don't find the perfect place by then, Blob?

yes, i won't end up homeless. If i haven't found a place by moving time, I will go with my current barn. Or if I find a place that doesn't have an opening yet, I can move until they do. But if i'm not going to stay I think it will be easier for my current BOs to know that asap since they are in a bit of a mad rush trying to get everything sorted on time.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:50 am

Had an epiphany riding Joplin today in medium trot. She does better when I keep my leg on and squeeze like a tube of tooth paste. Joplin prefers a draped leg that is there at all times and today I found she has a much better reaction to the leg for medium trot with squeezing and on than on and off like I normally would.

So what are your medium trot aids?

The best medium/extended trot I’ve ever had the privilege of riding was from my OTTB g years ago. He had that feeling of an airplane taking off suck you down into the saddle. All I had to do for his aids was to open the door he had power to spare.

Gaila is similar in that she has developed that power. Joplin has power but is not as on. I have to ask for it.

Rip would not give up the power easily and was just as likely to be a brat when you asked for it. So it is refreshing to have my two mares willing to be so much more honest and rideable.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:03 am

So what are your medium trot aids?

Assuming that we're setting up for a medium either across the diagonal or down the long side, I will come across the short end by asking for collection through the first corner, ask for a bit of forward/medium through the short side and then as I approach the second corner before the medium I will ask for a bit of baby renver (more of a distinct half halt), take a deep breath and then put my lower leg on, release ever so slightly through my fingers and think fish hook in the bottom of the sternum lifting it up so that I'm creating that wind sail feeling in the front and usually I get 'lift off' if the horse is on my aids. I will often half halt close or over "x" (or e/B) and 'revitalize' to get the medium to maintain and not fade out to the final letter. When I am one stride from the final letter I inhale very deeply and still my seat, and wrap/close my whole leg drawing the horse's abdomen up and shift of weight to the hind end..... to show a distinct change (I'm known more for showing the difference give my "6' movers than a truly gifted medium).

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:01 pm

I hope you figure out a good barn, Blob.

Khall and Exvet, I'm taking notes about the mediums for later! Thank you for sharing.

Yesterday I was a bit emotional in my lesson. Just a lot going on, I lost three people dear to me in the span of 3 months. Regardless, I did have a good lesson. Lynx is still being a bit silly on the spooking front but I just need to be more assertive I think.

Our leg yields are getting really solid as is our shoulder in. And I had the best canter transitions on him than I've had in weeks.

We have a schooling show at the barn this weekend. I'm not feeling very excited about it this time but the trainer thinks I need to use this opportunity even if it truly is to just school him through this spooky phase. Which she thinks is truly a phase. Fingers crossed.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:59 pm

I will have to come back to the mediums discussion when I have time, but I wanted to jot down my lightbulb moment from my ride yesterday.

Of course I've been working a long time to not slump over my left side, and I've made progress with keeping my right back ribs more knit together. Yesterday I added in really anchoring my right shoulder blade, and started to get a much better connection on the right rein, and hence more control of A's shoulders via my shoulders staying in a solid unit. Partly she was probably cursing that another escape hatch had suddenly closed, but we got probably our best CC so far. I need to retrain my right shoulder/arm to allow the elasticity through the elbow while keeping the scapula in and down, but it felt like a really good start towards addressing another layer.

It was windy yesterday and I declined to ride Tesla:
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:47 pm

I declined riding Kyra yesterday too ;) .

I did give her a good lunge but she surely had some totally flaky moments. It just would not have been a pretty ride at all. I was working with her on walk-canter-walk transitions. The first few were pretty darn nice so I decided to pull my phone out and get a couple on video. Well, that evoked a bolt (I don't know why-I guess there doesn't have to be a reason) and the phone went flying out of my hand and landed with a thud in the sand. No harm done to the phone but I promptly gave up on the filming. I need to get a Pivo but lately with $$$$ vet bills (cat) and tax season here, that hasn't gotten done yet.

I am not sure I am going to ride her today either. Still cold and windy and she is stall bound again due to everything thawing out and the pond in her run. She does get turnout but interestingly, she has gotten so that she doesn't like turnout. Of course it is drylot turnout and nothing to eat but you practically have to drag her up the hill. Then she rolls and come over and stands at the gate. I would never had guessed she would turn into a little barn flower :lol: .

Susan

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:10 pm

Potters grabbed himself playing silly buggers last week, so he's been off for a couple of days extra while that gets to be a bit less owie.

I'd got lazy about putting bell boots on (well, not so much lazy as thinking that really, this horse doesn't need to be bundled up and cossetted in every boot and wrap known to man, now does he? Well, yes. Apparently, he does... how embarrassing.)

I'm not feeling too fabulous today--Covid test was negative, just coughing my head off. So, no barn for me today. Hoping to wake up feeling like a new woman tomorrow. Hah.

Now to go into a zoom meeting and cough all over everyone. Thank heavens for mute.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:43 am

Finally getting around to posting. Had a show on Sunday with a new S judge that I've never heard of before, which always makes me wary because I know most people who've ridden FEI. Eh. (Interesting. Looked her up. She's only ridden GP twice, ever. )

Quinn was really tight a few days before, but I was really happy with her and she was really quiet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO8RYA8Jwn0
I-1 63.8% Eh. OK. I felt it was a little low. Looking at the video and the scoring, I'm confused in some parts. Yes, we CAN halt, but now have a thing where she piaffes at shows. Sigh. I was VERY careful not to over angle in the SI because I spent the show before writing "too much angle" over and over for Schmutz. So she gave me 6's for being too shallow. She gave me a 5.5 on the col. walk and says short steps L front. Sigh. shorts steps all four legs! Half passes got 7's, 6 on the ext. canter and change at end (small???), 6 on 3 tempis--yeah, we swing. 1st pir. 6.5, 7 on the change, second 7.5, 7 on the 2nd ir. and 7 on the change. 6.5 on two tempis (yeah, swinging), 6 on the trot transition, short neck???? Mostly OK, though.

I-f FS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4oZTpfoVlA I swear I am cursed with this poor horse to have music disasters.I used this CD many times, but it stopped right after the ext. canter and R pir., though I kept going because I was't going to stop. When I got to the walk the judge asked if I wanted the music and I said yes, so we started the music again and I picked it up at the R pir. and she started scoring again after that. Pretty OK on the movement scores and collectives of 6.7, 6.5, 7.3, 7.4 (difficulty), and 7.6 (interpretation.) So 67%. OK

I wore the dark grey breeches and a blue top. I was a bit weirded out seeing it in the mirror. I'm thinking it needs black gloves and a dark stock tie.

I am going to play around with giving her aloe vera since I seem to be aloe vera growing queen. Even though she lives out 24/7 and seems very happy, about 6 weeks after we moved to this new place she got ribby and I can't get me weight on her. So, even though it doesn't make sense, she might have ulcers? She's a worrier and tight. In reading, being on grass hay to eat all day (which is wonderful) is not always the best. Sometimes they do better with alfalfa because the calcium acts as a buffer. So maybe I'll give a little extra calcium. I have slowly been trying everything else.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:20 am

Tanga, my one suggestion, just a thought, leave off the bling / white on the forehead so there is not so much emphasis on the up and down of the head carriage in the canter. Straightening your changes will raise your scires but I think your pirouette should probably score higher.

Jmho
Last edited by Chisamba on Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:45 am

Hey I really like the grey pants, Tanga! I think I noticed the horse more. I'm hoping Australia goes the same way with the dress rules. Maybe dark gloves, or same as your breeches.. but not sure what colour the rules say for gloves.

Quinn is going nicely, she's looking steadier each time you share videos. It's hard when one judge says one thing, and then another likes it a different way, such as the shoulder-in angle. One thing I noticed in the freestyle, is that you are saluting with your whip, so pointing the whip down at her hindleg might be helping why you get piaffe in halt!
Well done coping with the music stopping too.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:59 am

That was a nice test Tanga! I love how in the extended trots her steps get sloooooooower and bigger. And now I want dark grey show breeches... No idea if our rules here would allow it though.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:47 pm

I like the dark breeches. And very nice tests! I won't, I'm judging as I'm just not experienced enough. But it was enjoyable to watch, as always.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:07 pm

Thanks for posting your tests, Tanga. There were a lot of nice moments and I agree that your pirouettes should have scored higher. Quinn seems like such a good girl. I think it says a lot about the trainer when a horse tries as hard as she does for you.

I like the grey breeches! I think the white gloves look nice with the white pad. The blue, the grey and the white work well together. (The Wonder Woman boots would MAKE the ensemble though!!! :lol:)

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:37 pm

Thanks chisamba, I was actually thinking the same thing with the white on the ear cover. I got four of them pretty cheaply, so I will switch them out. And I am working on those changes! She is SO much better at home, but any tension and they look bad. I'm hoping the aloe vera might help. The pirouette scores confuse me. She DID give me one 7.5, but . . . This judge seemed VERY into no head movement at all. I didn't post Quilla's, but I was pretty happy with her, even though she got stuck and stopped in one piaffe. She was uneven, but did them and got better and better. The judge beaned me because she was was moving er head, even though she was clearly collected and on the bit. The other GP horse had NO passage, literally a jog, and did 3-4 steps of "piaffe," but was steady, and she messed up her twos and ones (I only messed up my ones) and she gave the other horse a higher score. Grr.

Flight, thanks. Yes, I can wear black gloves, and I agree it would be better. I am carrying the whip just because we're practicing with that, but the piaffe has nothing to do with that. She only does it at shows. Sigh. But I don't need the whip and never use it, so I think will go back to not using it.

mari--Been working like crazy on the extended trots. She gave me a 6 on everything. OMG.

Demi--The Wonder Woman boots are totally legal (which I thought was very funny in the rule book), and NO WAY would I do that, even if I could afford it. My boots are about as blinged as they will ever get with the boot cuffs with black crystals on them!

I appreciate the feedback on the colors. I'm just SO used to white, I'm a little weirded out by the gray and cannot get a good sense of it. I DO like not showing big fat white thighs, though! All of the thin people can wear the white to make their legs look bigger, so now us bigger people can do what is best for us!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:19 pm

Tanga, as frustrating as inconsistencies in judging can be at least you know that there is improvement. That is a big win in my book.

I have a show this weekend. I almost scratched. And potentially still could I guess but my trainer and my husband are both pushing me to do it. Back in November it seemed like we would be doing training level no problem. And in some ways of course we could but right now with the distraction/spooking on top of my show nerves, we are sticking with Intro. The plan is Intro B and C. We will see what I do.

We are relying heavily on shoulder fore/in and lots of figures to keep his mind busy and body loose. At least the dressage arena will be set in the middle of the arena. The perimeter of the arena is pretty spooky compared to most. So being a few meters off the rail might help.

I'm rereading Jane Savoie's "That Winning Feeling." I forgot how good it is! I definitely have fallen off the wagon with positive thoughts and such. It is so hard but I know thinking positively can really help.

So I am determined to get my rockstar baby horse around that dressage court and paying attention to me!

Return to “Dressage Training”