Robert Dover Horsemanship week on USEF

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Lipsmackerpony88
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Robert Dover Horsemanship week on USEF

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:35 am

Anyone else watching? I'm taking note of just how many transitions they are doing. Good reminder. I have not watched it all yet.

Moutaineer

Re: Robert Dover Horsemanship week on USEF

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:49 am

I'm just sitting down to watch some of this now.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:04 am

Nice! I'm hoping to watch more. I've watched two sessions from George. And one from Jan. And one from Anne from the jumping part (flat work based though.)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:46 am

I've just watched George and the "session 1" black and white horse from beginning to end.

Horsie did not want to play for one reason or another. Poor kid. How frustrating to have that opportunity and have to struggle so hard.

However, she was determined, kept her cool, and saw it through, and did a nice test at the end. And undoubtedly learned a lot. Gary Rockwell rocks as a judge at these kinds of events, too.

And for me, the viewer, it was actually very valuable learning and I've got a bunch of tools and exercises to think about with my own rides.

It's going to take me a month to get through the whole thing :)

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:38 am

Yes, that horse certainly had opinions. She kept her cool though and like you said I'm sure she learned a lot. That horse reminds me of my sister in laws horse. Very sassy.

I love the little chestnut mare that was with Sabine. I haven't seen all sessions yet though.

MsM
Greenie

Postby MsM » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:40 pm

I have only seen sessions with Sabine and George on demand. Guess the others aren't available? I was so glad that rider got that pinto horse through the test. Spooky arena!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:28 pm

Jan Ebling had at least one session I saw on video.

MsM
Greenie

Postby MsM » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:24 pm

Hmmm, must have been live only. Isnt on the website now.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:36 pm

If you scroll below the main video window, you will see the individual sessions (assuming you are logged in to the USEF site) under the USEF Network link. Not sure what non-members see.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:52 pm

Yeah it's still there. There is 7 or 8 sessions for each day. I can't remember which one Jan was teaching. I'm still going through them all.

The little Chestnut mare was so cute. I felt they struggled a bit in the test. I think the format was a bit hard on that horse, she probably was getting tired. Good riding though!

demi

Postby demi » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:25 pm

Non-members can’t view it. I tried with an expired membership and couldn’t. I just re-joined as a fan which is free! I won’t have time to watch till tomorrow but am looking forward to it. Thanks for posting about this LSP!

blob

Postby blob » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:40 pm

MsM wrote:I have only seen sessions with Sabine and George on demand. Guess the others aren't available? I was so glad that rider got that pinto horse through the test. Spooky arena!

I watched live and they only live-streamed Sabine and George's sessions, which is too bad--would have been nice to see more. I imagine the ones they streamed are also what they have for demand.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:00 pm

I don't know which one was Jan Ebling. I definitely watched one. Maybe it was just one session. He talked about using your voice to talk to the horses and said something like "Yes, Judges, I'm talking to my horse's quietly." Lol

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:01 pm

I also went back and watched a different event with Laura Graves. Good stuff. Now I'm really ready to go ride. I hope and think I'm out of quarantine by this weekend!!

demi

Postby demi » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:45 pm

I’ve only watch a few rides but am really enjoying the quality of the whole thing. Nice horses, lovely, very good riders, and the trainers are great, too. I like George Williams a lot. I like the way he talks to the riders and it make me think he “talks” to the horses the same way. LSP, I saw that part where Jan Ebling talked about using your voice a lot and I like that, too. I also really liked Sabine’s explanation about flexing the poll, and not the neck, and how she worked the rider through it to the point of showing a reallly noticeable change in the connection. A lot of it went over my head but I will find that one again and study it. I know it’s an important concept and I need to learn it.

I also think this is a good way to improve the eye. I seem to miss a lot when the trainer says “yes, that’s it” but if I rewind, I can usually see it once I know what Im looking for. I found the same thing when I watched Exvet’s clinic vids with Lilo Fore.

I can only take in so much. So I’ll look for the rides on day 1 that seem to be most pertinent for me and then only watch those same horses and riders on day 2 and 3. Im guessing the same pairs worked with the same trainer throughout.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:10 pm

Demi, George seems like he'd be great to ride with. He's not my favorite to watch or lesson too but it's because he makes a lot of noises lol. I find the core of what he's teaching is really good but sometimes there's a little bit too many "yes, okay, uh huh" remarks for me. I don't know if that makes sense.

I also liked that part about flexing the poll too. It actually was a light bulb moment for me as I think at times in my lateral work the way I'm asking for what I think is flexion is too much. This has changed how I will go about it.

It does seem that the same horses and riders mostly were paired up with the same trainers.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:33 pm

Working my way through it, loving it. Little things to try and pay attention to. So struggling with smaller canter circles with my alternate right so keeping the inside ear up may help, hands hands hands-don't pull or block or let the reins get longer...

Much more than this but yes, so good!

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:54 pm

This has been fantastic since I caught something a week ago and have been staying home just in case. I'm going crazy but at least I have something good to watch!

blob

Postby blob » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:29 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:
It does seem that the same horses and riders mostly were paired up with the same trainers.

I'm pretty sure each rider had the opportunity to ride 1 lesson with each of the trainers. But they were only livestreaming one arena--which was mostly George in the morning/Sabine in the afternoon.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:38 pm

blob wrote:
Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:

I'm pretty sure each rider had the opportunity to ride 1 lesson with each of the trainers. But they were only livestreaming one arena--which was mostly George in the morning/Sabine in the afternoon.

Oh okay. Most of the other sessions I watched were the same riders with the same trainers so I wasn't sure. Like the chestnut mare was with Sabine for three sessions, the Pinto was all with George Williams. But I haven't watched them all either.

It's nice that they videoed at least some of them for us to watch :)

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:39 pm

Imperini wrote:This has been fantastic since I caught something a week ago and have been staying home just in case. I'm going crazy but at least I have something good to watch!

My husband had COVID. I never did get sick but I was stuck home so I was super grateful to have this to watch too!! Feel better.

Return to “Dressage Training”